VA VA - The Colonial Parkway Murders, 1986-89

A former deputy sheriff with ties to the Colonial Parkway murders -- a series of unsolved homicides that occurred in Virginia in the 1980s -- has pleaded guilty to scamming family members of the victims.

On Tuesday, Fred Atwell Jr., a former Gloucester, Va., deputy, 62, pleaded guilty in York County-Poquoson Circuit Court to one count of obtaining money through false pretenses.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/22/fred-atwell-scam_n_1373484.html

I was reading on topix but now lost the link but family members were talking to another poster who didn't name the person but states they figured out who it was. It was something like it is linked to a rash of homicides that happened in near by West Point and Gloucester/matthews Virginia around the time. I wished I had the link, but lost it. They had linked to the article about the rash of murders in west point.

I think all of the cases on http://parkway.crimeshadows.com/liberty.htm are connected, but Davis Knobling and Robin Edwards seem different to me, it's that window that was rolled half way down that bugs me, because it seems the only reason for them to roll the window down in the middle of a stormy, rainy night is to smoke (did either of them smoke at all?) or if they were pulled over and asked for an ID by some type of authority figure, or someone posing as one. The private detective (info can be found on link above) does fit the theory that they were stopped by an authority figure, and Brian Pettinger as well as Laurie Powell are connected by him.
As for the other cases, it seems sex and robbery weren't a motive, the person wanted to kill, reminds me of the zodiac killer. They pray on couples, I don't know if these are "hate crimes", I think it's more someone who loved to simply kill, a serial killer.
I want to continue researching this and other cases like it in the area.

A Sept '11 article with a synopsis of the case and discussion on Atwater and his relation to the case.

Billthom56 was Atwell ever involved in any of the official investigation of the murders?

From the linked article about Atwell's arrest:

Thomas also said Atwell made an interesting call to police following the alleged robbery he committed earlier this week.

"He called [a] suicide hotline and said that he is suicidal, a suspect in a serial murder [investigation] and wanted to commit suicide by cop," Thomas said.

Authorities have yet to confirm whether the call took place.

Begs the question, has Atwell ever been investigated and eliminated as a suspect? He says he worked in LE at the time of the murders, though I've had a difficult time finding out exactly who he worked for.

A very intriguing case - I think the first time I heard of it was around 1990 on one of those half hour Unsolved Mysteries clones like Missing Reward or Prime Suspect.

I have it at #121 on my Frightful 400 classic unsolved murder cases list.

A very intriguing case - I think the first time I heard of it was around 1990 on one of those half hour Unsolved Mysteries clones like Missing Reward or Prime Suspect.

I have it at #121 on my Frightful 400 classic unsolved murder cases list.

Oh, yeah, very scary. Nothing like innocent people killed when parked in dark, secluded "lover's lane" locations.

I read a news article about it several years ago, but hadn't paid attention until I saw the recent news coverage of Atwell's arrest. I spent nearly an entire weekend reading up on the case here and on various web sites. IMO,it appears the killer was someone who was in LE or posing as such. So much of the evidence the murders have in common point to it:

driver's side window partially rolled down

glove compartment doors open

driver's wallets out, as if showing drivers licenses

The killer likely had a gun, because most of the murders involved getting the victims out of the car, in some cases killing them some distance away.

For the sake of the families, I hope they finally catch the killer.

I actually knew 3 of the victims of the "parkway murders" I attended Christopher Newport with both Cassandra and Keith, and David lived across the street from me a few years prior to the murders.
My boyfriend at the time and I would often travel the parkway, from Yorktown to Williamsburg, and sometimes park to watch meteor showers or just star gaze.
He and I and a friend of mine were actually parked there to watch (and photograph) the Orionids meteor showers on the night before the first 2 victims were found. When I learned of the 1st murders, I was absolutely petrified to think we had been sitting out there, busy looking through cameras and telescopes, basically oblivious to everything else. Still gives me a creepy feeling to think about it.
Since that time, I have NEVER driven down the parkway at night again.. even now, I wouldnt do it.

I think all of the cases on http://parkway.crimeshadows.com/liberty.htm are connected, but Davis Knobling and Robin Edwards seem different to me, it's that window that was rolled half way down that bugs me, because it seems the only reason for them to roll the window down in the middle of a stormy, rainy night is to smoke (did either of them smoke at all?) or if they were pulled over and asked for an ID by some type of authority figure, or someone posing as one. The private detective (info can be found on link above) does fit the theory that they were stopped by an authority figure, and Brian Pettinger as well as Laurie Powell are connected by him.
As for the other cases, it seems sex and robbery weren't a motive, the person wanted to kill, reminds me of the zodiac killer. They pray on couples, I don't know if these are "hate crimes", I think it's more someone who loved to simply kill, a serial killer.
I want to continue researching this and other cases like it in the area.

David's truck was found still running, IIRC, and the couple's clothing was in the truck. While geographically Ragged Island (on the James River(in a different area, its not all that far from the parkway (on the York River), and like the parkway, ragged island was also a "make-out" spot for couples. I will always be convinced that there was someone posing as a cop, which explains why keys were always in the cars, clothing and ID there as well... and never a sign of struggle.

I thought there was another thread on these murders and the missing couple ,I remember there being information posted about a recent search near where they went missing and a dog hit near a graveyard?

From the linked article about Atwell's arrest:

Begs the question, has Atwell ever been investigated and eliminated as a suspect? He says he worked in LE at the time of the murders, though I've had a difficult time finding out exactly who he worked for.

Betty, my apologies, I had missed your question. Fred Atwell worked as a Deputy Sheriff for the Gloucester County, Virginia Sheriff's Department. He did not work on the Colonial Parkway Murder cases.

I am sure that the FBI and Virginia State Police have look at Atwell for the four double homicides, although I am not aware of any evidence that would link him to any of these crimes, or those of Laurie Anne Powell and Brian Pettinger, two other cases from around the same timeframe. Fred Atwell has spoken to me about all of these cases over the last few years. Hope that helps.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathleen Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

How much could he have known about the cases? Do they just share information on all cases?

Did the FBI talk to you about him talking to you?

I understand if you cant answer that.

Great news: we have just learned that the new show "Dark Minds," hosted by true crime author M. William Phelps and now in its second season on the Investigation Discovery channel, will be doing a show on the Colonial Parkway Murders. Production of the episode has begun with interviews set for fall 2012, and an air date to follow.

Bill Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

I grew up in Williamsburg VA, and was a child when this was going on, so this case always intrigued me. My Mother would avoid taking this road after this all happened, and even now when I drive through there it sort of creeps me out. I know this is probably stretching a lot, but does anyone know if there were any suspects at Camp Peary? It's really close to the area, and although it was never confirmed, it was always rumored to be a "CIA training camp". If the killer had been connected to that place, it might be a reason why it only lasted for a particular time period and the murders were spaced out like they were. I know it's a stretch, and impossible to explore because it's just a rumor, but was wondering if it was ever considered.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Peary"]Camp Peary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Great news: we have just learned that the new show "Dark Minds," hosted by true crime author M. William Phelps and now in its second season on the Investigation Discovery channel, will be doing a show on the Colonial Parkway Murders. Production of the episode has begun with interviews set for fall 2012, and an air date to follow.

Bill Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

Air date?

Amber:

Thanks for your question-- I am told that the Dark Minds episode on the Colonial Parkway Murders will air on the Investigation Discovery channel in Spring 2013, perhaps April. Will keep you posted.

Bill Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

Bill Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

IT AIRS TONIGHT 4/10/13 ON DISCOVERY ID. Check your local listings

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members