Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read about the report from the KOA worker earlier in the thread.
How far was that campground from where the bodies were discovered?

Were any bags or other belongings ever found? Camping equipment?

The female victim wasn't wearing the type of shoes that most women would wear if they were camping/traveling on foot.
They must have either had their car stolen, or they were staying somewhere nearby where they could change/keep their bags.
Any campgrounds nearby with unclaimed belongings?
Hotels with occupants who never returned?
These people were most likely traveling through the area, so what happened to their stuff?
They weren't reported as being dirty or looking like they were unwashed, so where were they staying?

Marie, I agree...the girls shoes was not the kind of shoes to wear if someone was hiking or camping.
I read somewhere, that the coroner said they both were very clean and had just had manicures and pedicures...what young adults, in the '70's got pedicures? also noted the extra long eyelashes on the female.

I have always suspected a big cover-up in this case..for unknown reasons.
I also read the truck driver that was found with the murder weapon, was suspected of being a police informant/snitch.
I can't see any investigator keeping his job and seemly being so slack and incompentant in a double murder case.. Even in that small area.

Are any of the original investigators still working on the force now???

It's very interesting that she did not have the dental problems that the young guy had... I wonder about their relationship.How did they know each other ?
The only commonality that they had when they were found is that neither was wearing underwear...
It seems kind of unusual for a young woman not to wear any underwear. Because of periods etc ? MOO

ETA I found out that race cars and car races were a popular thing in Cuba at one time...but before the young guy's time, he would have been a kid. There was a group of Argentines who lived in Cuba before Castro took over, and they were big on race cars... FWIW, and JMO

Liz, I read a long time back, the males dental work was of exceptional quality..very expensive and of quality workmanship.
I also read where a Gentleman that owned a Boating company claimed to have known who they were before he suddenly died.

Does anyone remember reading that just by 'coincidence' the house/office that housed the camping files, names, personal info of all the campers just 'happened' to burn up after the couple was murdered...
Why is it taking years and years to get the DNA results...everything in this case is hinky..Hmmmmmm!..imo

Paul R. Hibbard went missing from Gillette, Wyoming on May 28, 1976. His description is close plus he has an appendix scar, but there is no picture of him and I can't find one.:banghead: I know how good all the websleuthers are so I'm hoping someone here can find one.

No picture but bits of clues to circumstances on page from the Campbell County Public Library System in Wyoming.
On page 352 of this pdf file are 8 periodical headlines & dates for Paul Hibbard. They are:
7/6/1976 Man charged with theft of missing geologist's too...(tools? toolbox?)
7/7/1976 Sheriff airborne in search
8/23/1976 Missing geologist's truck found
1/20/1977 Tests indicate blood in vehicle
1/25/1977 Guilty plea entered for taking equipment from geo....
3/18/1977 Sentencing set Monday for Dowdy
3/22/1977 Dowdy gets penitentiary sentence
5/27/1977 Hibbard probe continuing
http://www.ccpls.org/localhistory/LocalHistory1970_1979.pdf

Maybe this will help someone find a photo. But it doesn't sound like he'd be able to travel to SC based on those headlines to be part of this mystery couple.

No picture but bits of clues to circumstances on page from the Campbell County Public Library System in Wyoming.
On page 352 of this pdf file are 8 periodical headlines & dates for Paul Hibbard. They are:
7/6/1976 Man charged with theft of missing geologist's too...(tools? toolbox?)
7/7/1976 Sheriff airborne in search
8/23/1976 Missing geologist's truck found
1/20/1977 Tests indicate blood in vehicle
1/25/1977 Guilty plea entered for taking equipment from geo....
3/18/1977 Sentencing set Monday for Dowdy
3/22/1977 Dowdy gets penitentiary sentence
5/27/1977 Hibbard probe continuing
http://www.ccpls.org/localhistory/LocalHistory1970_1979.pdf

Maybe this will help someone find a photo. But it doesn't sound like he'd be able to travel to SC based on those headlines to be part of this mystery couple.

I can't get the page to load - I'll try later. I really would like to read it especially now that I read blood was found in the vehicle which was located after the bodies were found. I'd like to know if he was present in the court and who is Dowdy? Why should blood be found in a missing truck of stoken tools ? Interesting Maybe I can find a mug shot of him. Thanks

I can't get the page to load - I'll try later. I really would like to read it especially now that I read blood was found in the vehicle which was located after the bodies were found. I'd like to know if he was present in the court and who is Dowdy? Why should blood be found in a missing truck of stoken tools ? Interesting Maybe I can find a mug shot of him. Thanks

There isn't anymore information in the file, just these headlines. I don't even know for sure which newspaper this is a list from, but possibly http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/
I'm not sure how old the Gillette News is, or if that county has more than one newspaper.

From their about us: "The daily newspaper - the only daily newspaper covering Gillette and Campbell County " Established 1904. So most likely from that paper.

The couple's remains were exhumed in 2007 for DNA samples, but I cannot find anything showing where their DNA profiles have ever been compared to any missing persons.
I have not found this couple in NAMUS either. Wonder why not? It seems that when the previous coroner retired that the interest in this case was also officially retired. How does one get this couple's case registered with NAMUS?

Well never mind, I see now that SLED has to officially enter the cases into NAMUS.

Can a civilian request SLED that these 2 be put in NAMUS? Well, I guess anybody can, but I mean will they listen? Or must it go through LE?

I wondered about Christopher King, too, but I might have his case confused with someone else because I thought he was going to Mexico with a woman, who was also missing. He might be too short and have too light of a complexion to be the male UID.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1752/74

I found the woman, I mistakenly thought went to Mexico with Christopher King. Her name is Linda Miller. She went to Mexico with someone named Cary Kristal (I am not sure if he is also missing) and never returned in 1973. I'm not sure if Ms. Miller and Mr. Krystal could be the mystery couple.
2983523110045078242S425x425Q851_zpsa96c2fe3.jpg

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11802/57

Liz, I read a long time back, the males dental work was of exceptional quality..very expensive and of quality workmanship.
I also read where a Gentleman that owned a Boating company claimed to have known who they were before he suddenly died.

Does anyone remember reading that just by 'coincidence' the house/office that housed the camping files, names, personal info of all the campers just 'happened' to burn up after the couple was murdered...
Why is it taking years and years to get the DNA results...everything in this case is hinky..Hmmmmmm!..imo

I was wondering where this information about a boating company owner came from? Could you please explain.....and yes.....this is very hinky!

Wow Ambercat. All four of those people that you have posted look similar to the couple!

I found the woman, I mistakenly thought went to Mexico with Christopher King. Her name is Linda Miller. She went to Mexico with someone named Cary Kristal (I am not sure if he is also missing) and never returned in 1973. I'm not sure if Ms. Miller and Mr. Krystal could be the mystery couple.
2983523110045078242S425x425Q851_zpsa96c2fe3.jpg

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11802/57

Here's a photo of Cary Wendell Kristal:

2128504560045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

BTW - Several months ago, I spoke with the detective in charge of Linda Miller's case, and he says that Ms. Miller and Mr. Kristal were down in Guadalajara protesting against the government on behalf of the farmers. The hotel that they were staying at burned to the ground, and it is presumed that they were inside. But their bodies were never recovered.

:pcguru::coffeecup:

It seems to me the couple was lured by maybe a Hitchiker type person?
No sexual assault means could be another couple?
Maybe a couple did this?:what:

I read that John Doe had extensive dental work - bridge and caps etc. To me this sounds more like he was in an accident and had repairs done, rather than just bad teeth. I know someone who in the seventies was in an accident where their lower face took the impact and they had to have a lot of dental work involving caps and bridges to repair the damage. If someone had had that sort fo work it might also slightly change the way they looked as well (not that much though I would have thought).

I read that John Doe had extensive dental work - bridge and caps etc. To me this sounds more like he was in an accident and had repairs done, rather than just bad teeth. I know someone who in the seventies was in an accident where their lower face took the impact and they had to have a lot of dental work involving caps and bridges to repair the damage. If someone had had that sort fo work it might also slightly change the way they looked as well (not that much though I would have thought).

The young guy had also had several root canals done along with the other dental work... which would probably indicate tooth decay... and if he had oral surgery following an accident, it would probably have shown up in the autopsy results...

Actually, the dental work could indicate someone who had been very poor, and not had any access to a dentist. And then came into quite a lot of $$$ and had his teeth worked on, including some expensive cosmetic dentistry...

And they had both had recent manicures and pedicures...

One possibility : mid seventies... possibly Latino... seemed to have a lot of disposable $$$ ( manicures,pedicures etc )...in the south,possibly with some connections to Florida.

Wonder if they were Colombians...?

One possibility : mid seventies... possibly Latino... seemed to have a lot of disposable $$$ ( manicures,pedicures etc )...in the south,possibly with some connections to Florida.

Wonder if they were Colombians...?
Liz, that's possible, but if you want to take the documentary Cocaine Cowboys at face value as far as the time line set out by the men and women interviewed, the Colombians associated with the Cartels only really showed up later in the very late 70s. The case of the Mystery Couple just feels too early to be tied up with the hardcore drug scene as it developed in Florida a few years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne