UT - Sierra Newbold, 6, abducted & murdered, West Jordan, 26 June 2012 *Arrest*

Here's what I've seen of his prior record:

Source: Deseret News

He was placed on probation under the supervision of the Utah Department of Corrections from 1991 to 1993 for a conviction of assault on a police officer.

On July 6, 1991, an intoxicated 19-year-old Black broke out all the windows of a home in Richfield, according to Richfield police. The responding officer found Black hiding in the rafters of a nearby shed. While trying to take Black into custody, he was cut with a knife that Black was using to fight off police.
The officer, who now works for Unified Police, was not seriously injured.

Also in 1991, he paid a fine for disorderly conduct, according to court records. In October of that year, he pled guilty to felony drug distribution, court records state.

In 2006, Black pleaded guilty to attempted forgery and intoxication, according to court records. But as part of the plea deal, a lewdness charge was dismissed.

He was arrested May 11, 2012 for vehicle burglary but obviously had not gone to trial yet.

Yes,If convicted.
Is the description of horror. As gratified as I am that he's been caught, he has a long history with LE and our court system.
He was allowed to walk away from his crimes, repeatedly,
Who are these Judges, and What is so wrong. With our laws, that these creeps are allowed to be in our communities???
IMO. This man should have been Monitered by Tucking. Somebody

F is the word. Our court system is failing us. Our Judges are failing all of us.

This child and dozens of other children should not. Be Read-only Because of judges who give a free pass to violent Criminals.

If, this was my daughter. I would Sue everyone who let this dangerous felon back on the streets.

Judges, Attornies,Anyone. Who put this Sicko back on the streets.

When I searched for mugshots for Black and pulled up the site for SLC, I was shocked to see how many people are being arrested over and over again! Some couldn't even make it a week without being arrested again. I shudder to think what these "frequent fliers" are costing us taxpayers and if there is no jail time, fines or meaningful penalties - what's the point? I believe as a society we have to get more serious about addressing criminal behavior instead of "going through the motions".

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...rra-Newbold-makes-first-court-appearance.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Extra bailiffs were positioned around Terry Lee Black as he stood at the podium and made a brief initial first appearance in Third District Court Friday.

Extra security measures had to be taken, such as keeping Black isolated from the other prisoners.

Attorney Ari Chino said he would continue representing Black in his robbery case but that someone from the Salt Lake Legal Defender's office needed to be appointed to represent him for the murder charge, a possible death penalty case.

"It's a huge case, it's going to be very, very expensive. I just don't think he can go forward with private counsel," Chino said.

The next court date, a scheduling hearing, is slated for July 31 at 3rd District Court in West Jordan before Judge Mark S. Kouris.

LE is often very closed-mouthed about their investigations. Actually, not just often...always. Every police agency I've ever seen is tightlipped about their cases, though I will say the UTPD was particularly so, with no press conferences. They obviously were very busy and until they got DNA results back from the lab, they couldn't announce they had the perp in Sierra's case because....they didn't know for sure. It was the DNA match that allowed them to issue the arrest warrant. This guy was already in jail on the vehicle theft charge.

Please never assume that while investigating a homicide and keeping their mouths shut (especially a homicide of a child) that LE has forgotten a case or is not giving the case priority, because they aren't talking about it. A homicide is their #1 priority, especially when the perp is still on the loose. They can't put everyone on one case as they still need to attend to other cases and community needs, but rest assured, LE is "on" it even if you can't see it.

Thank you for the explanation about the "tight lips" because it helps me understand what was going on. Now that they have made an arrest I am not biting my fingernails and listening to the news 24/7. I grew up in Utah and when I was about 5 years old a kid from the Jr. High school took me for a ride and menaced me with his man parts - so this kind of thing really rocks me hard. When this happened to me my mother did not call the police, she called the local mormon religious leaders! When Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped her parents called the ... mormon bishop first!! So now that I am living in Utah again I am always very suspicious that the dominant religion is playing WAY TOO much of a role in police matters. I am so happy that the WJPD got this guy and that at least this guy won't be bothering any other little girls. There is WAY too many scary things aka monsters and boogey men out there preying on our kids these days!

As if they could possibly feel more violated. To know that this horrible person sat next to you in your place of worship where you should always be safe. This poor family.

Every single little girl should be safe in her own bed. It is so unbelievable that a monster can enter a home and take a sleeping child!

I can't imagine what you felt like, living close to this young girl, and working with this. These types of cases are particularly difficult to work on. You have my utmost sympathy.
I wondered about the dog because I believe a dog would probably help in situations like this. Now, since this computer seems to not want to allow me the use of it, I have to go.

I never heard anything about a dog, but I completely agree with you about the safety dogs add in a home. We have a Jack Russell terrier and she frequently wakes us if there is anything going on within a block of our house. She is also a super great pet and at 10 lbs she is easy to keep - except she sheds like a 300 pound dog! Love her anyway!

Guest on NG said killers like this pick someone and figure out how they are going to carry out this horrific crime on them...just sick!

Sorry to bother you but I am new and wondering what NG is. Can you enlighten me? Thanks!

I never heard anything about a dog, but I completely agree with you about the safety dogs add in a home. We have a Jack Russell terrier and she frequently wakes us if there is anything going on within a block of our house. She is also a super great pet and at 10 lbs she is easy to keep - except she sheds like a 300 pound dog! Love her anyway!

I have had dogs all of my life from very small dogs to those who weighed over 100 pounds but I would never depend on them to alert me of danger or to keep me secure. Dogs are as unpredictable as humans can be.

In so many of these child kidnapping cases there were dogs present in the homes and neither the adults nor the children heard anything. Even fercious dogs the owners were postively sure would attack a stranger if they invaded it but they were wrong. The dogs inside the home did not stop the predators. The dogs werent even injured or killed by the predator because the dogs did not bark or attack.

IMO

Poor little dog:(. The creep probably thought the dog was going to bark so he stabbed the dog. Was the dog stabbed and killed outside or was it inside?

IMO

I am not sure if they ever said..but I believe the dog was found at a neighbors. There was a large amount of blood found on the stairs leading to the trailer.

Poor little dog:(. The creep probably thought the dog was going to bark so he stabbed the dog. Was the dog stabbed and killed outside or was it inside?

IMO

The dog in that case was killed on the porch according to the family. Possibly even BEFORE the dog had a chance to bark.
The perp may have done it just to ensure it didn't bark, or may have used that to scare the victim into not screaming herself.

That 4 year old victim's stepfather was originally arrested and charged with the crime until DNA cleared him 13 weeks later.
Sierra's case easily could have gone the route of "family did it" as well... if they hadn't found this guy and done DNA so quickly.

I have had dogs all of my life from very small dogs to those who weighed over 100 pounds but I would never depend on them to alert me of danger or to keep me secure. Dogs are as unpredictable as humans can be.

In so many of these child kidnapping cases there were dogs present in the homes and neither the adults nor the children heard anything. Even fercious dogs the owners were postively sure would attack a stranger if they invaded it but they were wrong. The dogs inside the home did not stop the predators. The dogs werent even injured or killed by the predator because the dogs did not bark or attack.

IMO

We rented a friend's house in British Columbia and one evening one of her close friends dropped by to visit and our English Bull Terrier grabbed the ankle of the friend as he walked through the gate. He dragged our BT through the garden as she stayed clamped to his leg.

You are correct, I wouldn't "trust" my dog to alert me...but having a dog sure might add just one more layer of alertness...no guarantees or anything like that...but just maybe.

Thinking of Sierra tonight and all those who love her. Hope she is flying high with the angels, far from every bit of sickness, sorrow or suffering. May her loved ones find peace and comfort.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54569898-78/family-girl-held-newbold.html.csp

A fundraiser will be held Saturday for the family of Sierra Newbold, the 6-year-old West Jordan girl who was kidnapped, raped and murdered on June 26.

The event will be held at Carvers Steak and Seafood, 10720 Holiday Park Drive in Sandy on Saturday, and will feature a yard sale, bake sale, silent auction, live music and a bounce house. It will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., with all proceeds being donated to the Newbold family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back