CANADA Canada - Madison Scott, 20, Vanderhoof, BC, 27 May 2011

The "Hwy of Tears" tag is a great attention grabber but my guess it that this has nothing to do with hitchikers who have disappeared along the highway. When a young woman goes missing late at night after a gathering of other young people, the perp is almost always a young male who attened the gathering and was aware that the young woman was alone and vulnerable. The motive would be sexual.

It is not clear whether she was the only party-goer who remained at the lake or just the only party-goer who camped at that particular spot. (I got the impression that the party was near where she camped) Does anyone know? Also, does anyone know if there was anyone else camped at the lake while the party was going on?

May 27th is early for camping up there but not fishing. It is possible that an early morning fisherman saw her taking down her tent. Had anyone just seen her tent, then would not suspect that only a young woman was there; unless they recognized the truck.

From what I can tell, Hogsback Lake is off the beaten track with no particular attractions. It seems like the kind of place only locals would go to or even know about. Whether it was one of the party-goers or a someone else who just happened to be at the lake that morning, was was almost certainly a local, and in such a small town, there are not that many possible suspects. (10,000 in the greater metro area).

http://hqprincegeorge.com/home/news/Local/2012/11/18/CBS-Documentary-Brings-Hope-to-Vanderhoof-Family

CBS Documentary Brings Hope to Vanderhoof Family

'From that show I would like to clarify that there is not connection between Maddy's disappearance and the Highway of Tears," says Kelly, "the story also pointed to Fribjon Bjornson as being in a relationship with Maddy and being involved in her disappearance. I also want to clarify that he was not responsible for her disappearance or involved with Maddy when she went missing."

The "Hwy of Tears" tag is a great attention grabber but my guess it that this has nothing to do with hitchikers who have disappeared along the highway. When a young woman goes missing late at night after a gathering of other young people, the perp is almost always a young male who attened the gathering and was aware that the young woman was alone and vulnerable. The motive would be sexual.

It is not clear whether she was the only party-goer who remained at the lake or just the only party-goer who camped at that particular spot. (I got the impression that the party was near where she camped) Does anyone know? Also, does anyone know if there was anyone else camped at the lake while the party was going on?

May 27th is early for camping up there but not fishing. It is possible that an early morning fisherman saw her taking down her tent. Had anyone just seen her tent, then would not suspect that only a young woman was there; unless they recognized the truck. Madison was camping alone and everyone else had gone home.

From what I can tell, Hogsback Lake is off the beaten track with no particular attractions. It seems like the kind of place only locals would go to or even know about. Whether it was one of the party-goers or a someone else who just happened to be at the lake that morning, was was almost certainly a local, and in such a small town, there are not that many possible suspects. (10,000 in the greater metro area).

She thought that other`s were camping out, and a girlfriend promised to camp with her, but didn`t.

I am convinced that this was not a random crime by some highway drifter but rather a crime committed by someone who knew she might end up alone at the tent that night. There were friends but also people at the party that that were unknown to the core group of friends that organized the party.

I believe that the key to solving this case might lay in simply analyzing the cell phone pings from that evening, not only looking at Madison's iPhone 4 traffic but also by taking a good look at *all* of the cell phones pinging off the towers that evening around Hogback lake as well as the small town from which most came. I would also look at cell phones that drifted back in town sometime after 2:50am when the last two brothers left her alone.

It was mentioned on the show that the coverage was "spotty" but not that it was none existent. More than likely, each and every one of those people had a cell phone on their person that night. Unless they are a diabolical sober killer, they would not think to yank their cell phone battery as they headed back to the campsite to abduct her. More than likely they were drinking with the crowd and hopefully made a mistake due to their drunkenness.

What might stand out like a sore thumb is seeing a cell phone ping off the tower, move toward their home town, then seeing it head South again back near Hogsback lake. This would especially be true of those that left in groups to head back home around 2:15am when a group of 6-8 left at the same time. This would allow them to establish an alibi then head back to commit the crime unnoticed. They would certainly know that an investigation would follow and they have their friends to back up their story, to a point. Their cell phone might tell a different story.

I am not sure how the Canadians deal with their court systems and subpoenas for cell phone records but I sincerely believe that this is a solvable crime.

As for the rings outside of the tent, my first thought it that someone was attempting to cuff her with either real cuffs or zip ties and she struggles to get free from them right outside of the tent, trying to face her assailant.

I am afraid they have another serial killer in their midst and I hope they find him sooner than later.

Just a few thoughts after watching the 48 Hours episode last night. This is not meant to mean that Maddy's friend that left her at the lake that night has any knowledge of what happened to her, but she bothered me. The way she spoke about people blaming her for leaving Maddy that night, I didn't see any guilt from her about leaving, nor any sense of "if I had stayed maybe I would be missing too". Also, she said she went back the next morning and her tent was trampled, her rings scattered and no sign of Maddy, but I guess she didn't notify anyone? No call to Maddy's parents obviously, since they went out tothe lake on their own on Sunday based on the fact that they had not heard from her. Idk, she just didn't react the way I would have expected in that interview, but I guess everyone is different.
Beyond that, I feel like this had something to do with the party....someone knew she was staying alone and either hid out and waited or came back. I think it may have been a rape that turned into a murder, and it's someone that was at that party that night.
Was the birthday party for her bf that was murdered shortly thereafter?

Just a few thoughts after watching the 48 Hours episode last night. This is not meant to mean that Maddy's friend that left her at the lake that night has any knowledge of what happened to her, but she bothered me. The way she spoke about people blaming her for leaving Maddy that night, I didn't see any guilt from her about leaving, nor any sense of "if I had stayed maybe I would be missing too". Also, she said she went back the next morning and her tent was trampled, her rings scattered and no sign of Maddy, but I guess she didn't notify anyone? No call to Maddy's parents obviously, since they went out tothe lake on their own on Sunday based on the fact that they had not heard from her. Idk, she just didn't react the way I would have expected in that interview, but I guess everyone is different.
Beyond that, I feel like this had something to do with the party....someone knew she was staying alone and either hid out and waited or came back. I think it may have been a rape that turned into a murder, and it's someone that was at that party that night.
Was the birthday party for her bf that was murdered shortly thereafter?

I know she was ruled out but her demeanour bothered me also. She was so nonchalant about the whole thing. They were best friends!

I don't think it was a birthday party for the bf. The best friend apparently posted she wanted to party or something like that and everyone decided to go including Madison. She admitted to not knowing some of the people who showed up.

I am convinced that this was not a random crime by some highway drifter but rather a crime committed by someone who knew she might end up alone at the tent that night. There were friends but also people at the party that that were unknown to the core group of friends that organized the party.

I believe that the key to solving this case might lay in simply analyzing the cell phone pings from that evening, not only looking at Madison's iPhone 4 traffic but also by taking a good look at *all* of the cell phones pinging off the towers that evening around Hogback lake as well as the small town from which most came. I would also look at cell phones that drifted back in town sometime after 2:50am when the last two brothers left her alone.

It was mentioned on the show that the coverage was "spotty" but not that it was none existent. More than likely, each and every one of those people had a cell phone on their person that night. Unless they are a diabolical sober killer, they would not think to yank their cell phone battery as they headed back to the campsite to abduct her. More than likely they were drinking with the crowd and hopefully made a mistake due to their drunkenness.

What might stand out like a sore thumb is seeing a cell phone ping off the tower, move toward their home town, then seeing it head South again back near Hogsback lake. This would especially be true of those that left in groups to head back home around 2:15am when a group of 6-8 left at the same time. This would allow them to establish an alibi then head back to commit the crime unnoticed. They would certainly know that an investigation would follow and they have their friends to back up their story, to a point. Their cell phone might tell a different story.

I am not sure how the Canadians deal with their court systems and subpoenas for cell phone records but I sincerely believe that this is a solvable crime.

As for the rings outside of the tent, my first thought it that someone was attempting to cuff her with either real cuffs or zip ties and she struggles to get free from them right outside of the tent, trying to face her assailant.

I am afraid they have another serial killer in their midst and I hope they find him sooner than later.

Did Madison have a cell phone? I don't remember if they mentioned that on the show.

I think they need to reinterview everyone who was at that party. Furthermore, I wish they would confirm if the bf was there.

Passing a polygraph doesn't make one innocent. IMO

Did Madison have a cell phone? I don't remember if they mentioned that on the show.

It is on the web page her parents established:

Help Find Madison Scott

Missing were a large ring of keys that had her Ford truck key and her iPhone 4. The rest of her belongings here in the locked truck, including her purse.

This was posted on the associated FB page after the show:

Karen Baker:

I am so sad and upset right now I can barely write this. Haven't we suffered enough? Hasn't Fribjon suffered enough? He was not in a relationship with Maddy. He was not "bad" news and did NOT have a drug debt as Jordanne Bolduc so slanderously states. Fribjon is not here to defend himself so I will do it for him. He was caring and giving. His murder and Maddy's disappearance are not connected. Fribjon did take a polygraph and DNA test to prove his innocence. Why? I'm not sure considering he was someplace else with other people the night Maddy disappeared. He was sad and upset that Maddy was missing just as we were. Vanderhoof is a small town and it was unbelievable to us that one of our children can just disappear as Maddy did or be murdered like Loren. When our own Fribjon went missing and then when we found him murdered, our world crashed. The horrible rumours that were spread and the gossip by people who don't know us is devastating. Anyone who knows us or who had the fortune to know Fribjon would realize how riduculous these rumours are. 48 Hours needs to get their facts straight. Fribjon was a kind, loving person. He does not deserve the way he was portrayed. He was a victim. He did not bring this upon himself.

So is the friend lying that Maddy and Fribjon were in a relationship? The family also posted that Maddy and Fribojon were not in a relationship so why would the friend lie about that?

I don't know about anyone else but I didn't think Fribjon was involved but I would definitely look at his entourage. Nothing wrong with interviewing these people (if they can be found, of course)

Well let's hope the RCMP were able to ping her Iphone4! Good grief. Wouldn't that be one of the first things they should have done?

It doesn't take but a few Google hits to find out that something is very much amiss in Northern B.C. Americans have this image of Canada as a place relatively free of crime and racial tensions. Large cities Like Toronto have less crime (and fewer minorities) than similarly large cities in the US, but there are rural areas with very serious crime problems. Northern B.C. is one of them.

Prince George, 100 miles from Vanderhoof, is considered the "Most Dangerous City in Canada" but it isn't that different from other cities along Hwy 16, the so called "Hwy of tears" This area has a significantly high rate of property crimes and crimes of violence, including murders, but really sets it apart from other parts of the country is the high rate of unsolved murders and "disappearances".

Locals dismiss the problems as "drug related" and the criminals as members of "drug gangs". From what I can tell, It is less a matter of organized gang and more a matter of a lot of low life types with a propensity for violence involved in the buying and selling of drugs. And, people are very much afraid and do not want to get n the wrong side of these people.

Did anyone else who saw 48 Hours have some doubts about Madison's "best friend" when she claimed that a lot of "strangers" showed up at the party and she had "no idea" who they were? This is a community of less than 10,000 people and Hogsback lake was THE party spot. She had a pretty good idea who these people were and where they were from, but she wasn't going to be accused of "ratting" anyone out.

It doesn't take but a few Google hits to find out that something is very much amiss in Northern B.C. Americans have this image of Canada as a place relatively free of crime and racial tensions. Large cities Like Toronto have less crime (and fewer minorities) than similarly large cities in the US, but there are rural areas with very serious crime problems. Northern B.C. is one of them.

Prince George, 100 miles from Vanderhoof, is considered the "Most Dangerous City in Canada" but it isn't that different from other cities along Hwy 16, the so called "Hwy of tears" This area has a significantly high rate of property crimes and crimes of violence, including murders, but really sets it apart from other parts of the country is the high rate of unsolved murders and "disappearances".

Locals dismiss the problems as "drug related" and the criminals as members of "drug gangs". From what I can tell, It is less a matter of organized gang and more a matter of a lot of low life types with a propensity for violence involved in the buying and selling of drugs. And, people are very much afraid and do not want to get n the wrong side of these people.

Did anyone else who saw 48 Hours have some doubts about Madison's "best friend" when she claimed that a lot of "strangers" showed up at the party and she had "no idea" who they were? This is a community of less than 10,000 people and Hogsback lake was THE party spot. She had a pretty good idea who these people were and where they were from, but she wasn't going to be accused of "ratting" anyone out.

Yes to your question and I posted about her demeanour. Considering she was Madison's best friend, I found her to be quite nonchalant about this tragic case. She was very pleased to have passed the polygraph which in my opinion doesn't always mean a person is innocent of wrong doing.

That said, it could be she was suspected of harming Madison and her demeanour could be chalked up as relief that she has been cleared and finally got to tell her side of the story on TV.

Showing no emotion towards losing her best friend bothered me a lot.

According to the Outside article I linked to in #74, Hogsback Late was the sort of place where local kids would go on weekend nights in decent weather to Party. Apparently there were about 50 kids (aged 18 to 25) on Friday evening May27, when Madison was last seen. The next evening an even larger party took place with up to 150 kids there. Madison's tent and truck were right there where the party took place, but no one saw Madison there that night. Her parants went looking for her Sunday morning and found her tent with only her rings in it. Apparently all of her other pocessions (except her keys and cell phone) were in the truck. I am asuming that that this would include her sleeping bag and other camping items but it isn't spelled out. It is possible that the tent was taken partly down during the Saturday night party (as it is shown in the photo) but I can't verify that.

If this is anything like other standard "party spots" in rural North America, what goes on is what you might expect; drinking and whatever. Groups of friends might agree to meet there on a particular night but it wouldn't be that only those with a "formal" invatation would attend; kids throughout the area would know there would always be some "action" there and just show up. If this is like "party spots" I have have been familiar with, nobody had to post it to Facebook.

It is not clear who reported seing her at around 3:00 AM but it stands to reason that it would have been someone among the last group of partygoers to leave. We do not know if that person reported that there were other partygoers still there. Since the spot where she set up her tent was where the following night's party was held, it was probably very close to where the Friday party was held and many people at the party must have been aware that she would be spending the night. Everything I have read creates the impression that she was believed to have been the only one to spend the night there but I can not verify this. She probably didn't want to drive home after drinking. It was, however pretty cold that night (low 40's) and perhaps others changed their plan.

The 48 Hours interview with Madison's "best friend" did not extablish that she was actually the last person to see her. Usually, when someone in her position gets interviewed for a TV show, they relish their 15 minutes and make the most of it; They generally try to establish themselves as important players in the drama. This one says she feels bad but seems to make a point that she dosen't know anything, she has no information that might further the investigation. Her "nonchalant", unemotional appearance seems to convey the message that she isn't "involved in this". I wonder if she is concerned that people might suspect she has been talking to the RCMP.

Did anyone else who saw 48 Hours have some doubts about Madison's "best friend" when she claimed that a lot of "strangers" showed up at the party and she had "no idea" who they were?

My impression is that she is immature especially when discussing the disappearance of her missing friend. If the RCMP have cleared her, I doubt that she has any useful information.

A group of 50 or so is a fairly large crowd. Back in the day when we would attend such campfire drinking parties, if my group of friends attended, say 20 or so, and there are another 30 people there, I might not know everyone even in if they were from the same small town. As I recall there were some as old as 40 at the party. That is quite an age range.

There was also another party the following night with 150 people in the same exact spot. The did not give details if this was an organized group of some kind or just another party with the locals showing up to drink beer around the camp fire.

Reading about the campground itself, there was another camping area on the other side of the lake to the South East. From what I read the path to get there was not suitable for cars. There was no mention whether there were campers spending the night in the other campground.

According to the Outside article I linked to in #74, Hogsback Late was the sort of place where local kids would go on weekend nights in decent weather to Party. Apparently there were about 50 kids (aged 18 to 25) on Friday evening May27, when Madison was last seen. The next evening an even larger party took place with up to 150 kids there. Madison's tent and truck were right there where the party took place, but no one saw Madison there that night. Her parants went looking for her Sunday morning and found her tent with only her rings in it. Apparently all of her other pocessions (except her keys and cell phone) were in the truck. I am asuming that that this would include her sleeping bag and other camping items but it isn't spelled out. It is possible that the tent was taken partly down during the Saturday night party (as it is shown in the photo) but I can't verify that.

If this is anything like other standard "party spots" in rural North America, what goes on is what you might expect; drinking and whatever. Groups of friends might agree to meet there on a particular night but it wouldn't be that only those with a "formal" invatation would attend; kids throughout the area would know there would always be some "action" there and just show up. If this is like "party spots" I have have been familiar with, nobody had to post it to Facebook.

It is not clear who reported seing her at around 3:00 AM but it stands to reason that it would have been someone among the last group of partygoers to leave. We do not know if that person reported that there were other partygoers still there. Since the spot where she set up her tent was where the following night's party was held, it was probably very close to where the Friday party was held and many people at the party must have been aware that she would be spending the night. Everything I have read creates the impression that she was believed to have been the only one to spend the night there but I can not verify this. She probably didn't want to drive home after drinking. It was, however pretty cold that night (low 40's) and perhaps others changed their plan.

The 48 Hours interview with Madison's "best friend" did not extablish that she was actually the last person to see her. Usually, when someone in her position gets interviewed for a TV show, they relish their 15 minutes and make the most of it; They generally try to establish themselves as important players in the drama. This one says she feels bad but seems to make a point that she dosen't know anything, she has no information that might further the investigation. Her "nonchalant", unemotional appearance seems to convey the message that she isn't "involved in this". I wonder if she is concerned that people might suspect she has been talking to the RCMP.

Was her best friend at the Saturday party?

Re: the removal of her rings. Could she have decided to go swimming in the lake or someone lured her into believing they were going for a quick swim but never did?

I remove my jewelry when I go swimming. Just a thought.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back