Mistakes made that led to Casey being aquitted...

OK I'll say it with visions of flames in my rearview but...picking Pinellas to seat a jury. Ok I'm braced...

After hearing Baez making wild non substantiated claims about George molesting Casey and George doing this and that..I told my husband..You know, this Girl is gonna walk. It should not be allowed to make up something like that ..to accuse others without fact, or without proof. I mean seriously I would have sued had someone done that to me. I think it should be not allowed, it tainted the jury...Baez should have been stopped, reprimanded on it etc. A new jury should have been selected at that point JMO.

I'm going to ad the Sunshine Laws which led to the media frenzy which made it impossible to select a jury pool who hadn't already made their own conclusions, so they felt they needed to find jury members who had been living under a rock or otherwise not interested in current events, don't watch news, don't read newspapers, don't blog etc etc ...
I'm going to ad Nancy Grace et al here too.

I have some relatives in Arkansas that fit this descrip to a T...I love them to pieces but they are truly like this.

The prosecution not changing its strategy after opening statements. Once the defense admitted that Casey had known all along Caylee was dead, so much of their case, including the car became irrelevant. I wish they would have spent more time with Dr G explaining why they felt the duct tape was on her face before the body decomposed, and establishing a motive with Tony moving back to New York, (of course the "foolproof suffocation" search would have helped).

Before the jury came back my husband told me she would be found guilty of nothing more than manslaughter. When I asked why, he said all the state proved was that Casey was a horrible person, and she put her dead kid in the trunk of the car. He thought there was a possibility that Caylee had drown, Casey was so cold hearted she just didn't care & didn't want to deal with it, and the duct tape had been used on the garbage bags & got tangled in her hair by the animals & water. As soon as he said, my heart sunk. He's not a stupid man, and like the jurors, knew nothing about the case before the trial began.

I think the Pings would have been good..as someone mentioned previously. It showed where she was in the vicinity etc. I think the prosecution was too much into not wanting to rock the boat on anything did not help one bit. Sometimes stepping on toes gets results.

The prosecution not changing its strategy after opening statements. Once the defense admitted that Casey had known all along Caylee was dead, so much of their case, including the car became irrelevant. I wish they would have spent more time with Dr G explaining why they felt the duct tape was on her face before the body decomposed, and establishing a motive with Tony moving back to New York, (of course the "foolproof suffocation" search would have helped).

Before the jury came back my husband told me she would be found guilty of nothing more than manslaughter. When I asked why, he said all the state proved was that Casey was a horrible person, and she put her dead kid in the trunk of the car. He thought there was a possibility that Caylee had drown, Casey was so cold hearted she just didn't care & didn't want to deal with it, and the duct tape had been used on the garbage bags & got tangled in her hair by the animals & water. As soon as he said, my heart sunk. He's not a stupid man, and like the jurors, knew nothing about the case before the trial began.

BBM
I agree Murdock which is why I believe a trip to the 'Car' may have reacquainted the Jury with reality...(if they were ever acquainted to begin with)

BBM
I agree Murdock which is why I believe a trip to the 'Car' may have reacquainted the Jury with reality...(if they were ever acquainted to begin with)

I don't know if that would have helped, or not. Only the jurors can really answer that question, but after talking about with my husband, I don't know that proving Caylee had partially decomposed in the trunk was really that important. It was crucial when "Zanny the nanny" took her, but once the drowning story came up, I just think it didn't mattered as much.

Perry allowing Casey to 'testify' via facial expressions.

Perry rushing through jury selections, taking jurors who had unbreakable plans and promising them that the trial would be over in time. (I sincerely believe that the person on the jury who had non-refundable cruise tickets, which was to depart the same week they were deliberating, had some influence on the rest of the panel. If they would have found her guilty, they would have had to deliberate the penalty phase and that person would have missed their cruise.)

Perry empanelling a non-death penalty qualified jury (the woman who said she couldn't judge people should never have been allowed on the jury, Batson challenge or not).

You said exactly how I feel. Other than the above, I don't think the prosecution did their best job of putting the case together for the jury. There were too many holes left. There was SO MUCH more information that we had available that should have been presented to the jury. Maybe they felt rushed? I feel that they were rushed.

I'm going to ad the Sunshine Laws which led to the media frenzy which made it impossible to select a jury pool who hadn't already made their own conclusions, so they felt they needed to find jury members who had been living under a rock or otherwise not interested in current events, don't watch news, don't read newspapers, don't blog etc etc ...

I'm going to ad Nancy Grace et al here too.

I don't think the media and Sunshine Laws was necessarily a bad thing - except seeing Casey, Baez and Mason's faces on tv. :puke:

I have followed the case since the beginning, read most of the evidence, and I could have sat on the jury and been impartial. With that said, based on the evidence (or lack thereof) that was presented, I'm not sure I could have convicted her either. :what: There was just so much wiggle room left by the prosecution. I will give it to LDB - the opening statement was excellent!

(NOTE: As much as I believe in OJs guilt, I wouldn't have convicted him either based on the evidence presented at trial. And, I followed it closely while in college taking Criminal Investigations.)

I always thought there were several factors..1st off that vehicle should have been taken into custody from day 1. From what I understand it reeked of death, so should have been a big clue. Yes Roy cronk not getting the LE attention needed also was a big factor.
But I said it in the beginning to my hubby and will say it again. The Prosecution did not connect the dots for the jury and did not tie it all up in a big pretty bow. They gave them too much credit, assumed they would be smart and figure things out. They should have also let Tony and the ex Forgot his name speak...because Casey didn't want a bf that loved caylee which is why she broke up with the first dude...and tony didn't want girls... Also it needed to be brought out that she hated Cindy more than she loved Caylee. This all needed to be brought to light, cause you have to assume the jury knows nothing.

BBM: Well said!! And, they could have brought up the fact that Casey said she was a "spiteful b*tch".

Jesse Grund is her ex-bf who loved Caylee.

Yes .. Why not Miami?

Why not the Panhandle? There are a lot of people who didn't follow this case in my area of FL. When they mentioned Liberty County (Bristol) as a place to bring the trial to, I was praying for it to happen. I'm not from there, but know people that live there.

After hearing Baez making wild non substantiated claims about George molesting Casey and George doing this and that..I told my husband..You know, this Girl is gonna walk. It should not be allowed to make up something like that ..to accuse others without fact, or without proof. I mean seriously I would have sued had someone done that to me. I think it should be not allowed, it tainted the jury...Baez should have been stopped, reprimanded on it etc. A new jury should have been selected at that point JMO.

I so agree!! I told my husband at the end of jury selection that she'd walk. You don't let people on a DP jury that doesn't believe in the DP (or can't judge a person). If a person can't judge someone, based on the evidence presented, then they should NEVER be allowed on a jury.

Baez's behavior and lies (he slandered George all in the name of getting his client off) and it was allowed? That should never be allowed. JMHO

There were so many errors in this case, but I think all the above is a good starting point at where this case went wrong. Didn't one of the jurors admit that there were 2 that had to be "convinced" to change their vote so they could leave? They could have hung the jury and yes, it would have all started over, but at least we would have had a better chance at getting a conviction.

Judge Perry also should have stressed to the jury that a motive is not a requirement for the prosecution. But, they all wanted to know the motive. Ohhhh..... :furious:

I also agree with the poster who said the Defense's table should have never been allowed to move. It had nothing to do with the location of their computer screens, but all about having the jurors see Casey as a "small" (lowering her chair) young woman who loved her daughter. Cue the fake tears!

Also, the coddling by DS. :puke:

Oh, and didn't JP say that he wouldn't handle Baez's mishandling of different things after the case was over? Did he report him to the bar like many were led to believe by his statements.

Never should have let a woman onto the jury who "refused to judge". That's what a jury is all about- judging people!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:
It became all about race.

Cindy's testimony should have been impeached on the basis she perjured herself, and the family should not have been called to testify at all, they were not impartial!

1 Cindy sticking her head in the sand and not confronting KC for 31 days
2 GA not calling 911 at the toe yard
3 CA cleaning the car and washing KC clothes
4 CA not admitting to what the flurry calls were about. And the argument the night before
5 prosecution not bringing up the fighting and the flurry of calls enough to establish a better motive, cause the jury didn't by the young and free of responsibility motive.
6 not showing the jail tape of KC when the remains were discovered
7 not exploring the June 16 timeline enough
Yes!!!

Judge Perry should have emphasized to the jury that Opening Statements are not evidence!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

LE should have taken that car as soon as they came to the Anthony house!It smelled of death but not one officer seemed to notice,that killed me from being! FAILURE!

Kronk Officer should have looked in those woods with his first call !Caylee was missing and lived around that block FAILURE!

FCA Should have been arrested after the 911 calls! FAILURE!

I know 2 Officers were fired but I really believe local police were incompetent in the beginning.

Letting anything come in from that con artist who sister just happen to be in a jail cell near FCA then ,that also has ties zany sunglass guy then she just happens to befriend George THAT one I am still not buying!FAILURE!

Judge Perry seating a jury like he was playing a game of musical chairs!Case was too high profile for that kind of expedience FAILURE/Perry!

Keeping a Juror because the defense said it was racial and it was what she said but he let his own life experience color his rational thinking IMO! FAILURE/Perry

Found out from the movie Judge Perry Did not have to let BAEZ take lead but he allowed it! FAILURE /PERRY!

Allowing FCA to face jury so they could see her impression of the incredible shrinking murder defend and wake her fake no tear crying FAILURE/J.PERRY!
Treating Baez with kid gloves (Due to incompetent/his appeal record) and screaming at Prosecutors who were very competent.Making it look like he was on Baez side FAILURE PERRY!

Perry treating the jury like he was timeshare salesman so worried about their nightly entertainment FAILURE/PERRY!

Seemed to worry way too much about what the dessert lady was breaking them all! FAILURE/Perry!

CYA mode to protect his appeal record and also fast tracked the jury to save $ a few more dollars would have been well spend!Penny wise pound foolish IMO FAILURE/Perry!

He should have never allowed them to not look at any evidence ,I am not sure if he could not or just didn't FAILURE/Perry

He should have made jury instruction juror friendly(dumb downed)these were not a group who read newspapers or watched news! FAILURE/Perry

He should have allowed the cans to be opened! FAILURE/Perry

He should have declared a miss trial FAILURE/Perry

He could and should have not accepted that verdict from my understanding he did not have to.He looked at it twice so he knew it was wrong! Was it because of the costs or because of his long term friendship with CM? EPIC FAILURE/Perry.

Jury should have went to the car/or car should have been towed to the court house,so jury could have a whiff! FAILURE Prosecution! or States Attorney said no!

ASHTON is very intelligent he should have dumbed down a little esp. because those 12 did not read or watch news which imo means you keep up with the new technology they apparently needed it formatted like a movie! FAILURE/Ashton

Not finding the computer searches AZLawyer and JWG found ...........EPIC FAILURE!

Just off the top of my head I am sure there is more! I wish Stan would have been the judge he would have done a better job and the defense knew it!

LE should have taken that car as soon as they came to the Anthony house!It smelled of death but not one officer seemed to notice,that killed me from being! FAILURE!

Kronk Officer should have looked in those woods with his first call !Caylee was missing and lived around that block FAILURE!

FCA Should have been arrested after the 911 calls! FAILURE!

I know 2 Officers were fired but I really believe local police were incompetent in the beginning.

Letting anything come in from that con artist who sister just happen to be in a jail cell near FCA then ,that also has ties zany sunglass guy then she just happens to befriend George THAT one I am still not buying!FAILURE!

Judge Perry seating a jury like he was playing a game of musical chairs!Case was too high profile for that kind of expedience FAILURE/Perry!

Keeping a Juror because the defense said it was racial and it was what she said but he let his own life experience color his rational thinking IMO! FAILURE/Perry

Found out from the movie Judge Perry Did not have to let BAEZ take lead but he allowed it! FAILURE /PERRY!

Allowing FCA to face jury so they could see her impression of the incredible shrinking murder defend and wake her fake no tear crying FAILURE/J.PERRY!
Treating Baez with kid gloves (Due to incompetent/his appeal record) and screaming at Prosecutors who were very competent.Making it look like he was on Baez side FAILURE PERRY!

Perry treating the jury like he was timeshare salesman so worried about their nightly entertainment FAILURE/PERRY!

Seemed to worry way too much about what the dessert lady was breaking them all! FAILURE/Perry!

CYA mode to protect his appeal record and also fast tracked the jury to save $ a few more dollars would have been well spend!Penny wise pound foolish IMO FAILURE/Perry!

He should have never allowed them to not look at any evidence ,I am not sure if he could not or just didn't FAILURE/Perry

He should have made jury instruction juror friendly(dumb downed)these were not a group who read newspapers or watched news! FAILURE/Perry

He should have allowed the cans to be opened! FAILURE/Perry

He should have declared a miss trial FAILURE/Perry

He could and should have not accepted that verdict from my understanding he did not have to.He looked at it twice so he knew it was wrong! Was it because of the costs or because of his long term friendship with CM? EPIC FAILURE/Perry.

Jury should have went to the car/or car should have been towed to the court house,so jury could have a whiff! FAILURE Prosecution! or States Attorney said no!

ASHTON is very intelligent he should have dumbed down a little esp. because those 12 did not read or watch news which imo means you keep up with the new technology they apparently needed it formatted like a movie! FAILURE/Ashton

Not finding the computer searches AZLawyer and JWG found ...........EPIC FAILURE!

Just off the top of my head I am sure there is more! I wish Stan would have been the judge he would have done a better job and the defense knew it!
You nailed it! Thanks weren't enough!

I know.. Reading these I get this sinking feeling makes me want to cry. I think the prosecution was too confident they could lead the jury on this logical progression path that takes them to KC and murder and cover up. They just found some bs story that makes Kc a victim that was much more pc which was jb's scenario. That was the most clever thing the DT came up with. I won't get over the verdict ever.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back