TX TX - Joanna Rogers, 16, Lubbock, 4 May 2004

Authorities Name Primary Suspect in Joanna Rogers Case

Posted: 12/22/05

Authorities have named a suspect in the disappearance of Joanna Rogers. An Amber Alert was issued for the sixteen-year-old on May 6th, 2004. Investigators are now calling Rosendo Rodriguez a primary suspect in the case. He's the same man charged with capital murder in the death of another Lubbock woman.

NewsChannel 11 first uncovered the connection between Joanna Rogers and Rosendo Rodriguez weeks ago, but we held the information at the request of the Lubbock County Sheriff's department so we would not hinder their investigation. Thursday, county authorities are talking on camera for the first time naming Rodriguez as the primary suspect in Joanna's disappearance.

Continued at link:

http://kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=4280022

On Thursday, investigators spoke with KLBK-13 about a link between Rosendo Rodriguez III, 25, and the disappearance of Joanna Rogers, 16.

Rodriguez was indicted in September for the murder of Summer Baldwin, 29.

Investigators believe Rodriguez and Rogers were acquainted through the internet. Both of their names were found on each other`s computers. Authorities say that was the beginning; now they say they have enough evidence to name Rodriguez as an official suspect in Rogers` disappearance.

It has been 19 months since Rogers was last seen alive. Since her disappearance, the Lubbock County Sheriff`s Department have questioned a number of suspects. But they`ve never released one`s identity to the public ... until now.

"With the circumstances surrounding Mr. Rodriguez, at this point in time, we believe he is a good suspect for Rogers` disappearance," says Lubbock Chief Deputy Paul Scarborough.

Scarborough says they found Rodriguez`s name on Rogers` computer shortly after she disappeared. Investigators came face to face with Rodriguez in mid-September when he was arrested for the murder of Summer Baldwin, whose body was found strangled and beaten in a suitcase at a Lubbock landfill.

Just days after Rodriguez was taken into custody, another clue surfaced reegarding Rogers` disappearance.

"We have a link with Rosendo Rodriguez with the forensics that was done on his computer with the Joanna Rogers case," says Scarborough.

Scarborough says Joanna`s name showed up on Rodriguez`s hard drive.

Joanna`s mother, Cathy Rogers, says she never heard her daughter mention him.
http://www.klbk13.tv/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=1231

I just e-mailed the station to thank them for acquiesing to the request from law enforcement to "hold" the story until LE could investigate. I would like to encourage others to do the same. News companies and reporters need to know that some of us believe justice outweighs the "public's right to know." Let's give them some positive reinforcement!
:)

Rosendo Rodriguez III, a former Texas Tech student, was indicted in October on capital murder and aggravated sexual assault charges in the deaths of Summer Baldwin, 29, and her unborn child. Baldwin's body was found stuffed into a suitcase dumped in a landfill.

Investigators linked Rodriguez to the case through a bar code on the suitcase.

Lubbock County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Paul Scarborough said Rodriguez is also now a suspect in the disappearance of Joanna Rogers, 16, who vanished from her home in May 2004.

Authorities initially discounted any link between the cases, but Scarborough said investigators found Rogers' name on Rodriguez' e-mail list while searching his computer in the Baldwin murder investigation. His name was also on the teen's e-mail list, authorities said.

"We are doing some further investigation in that area," he said, adding that authorities were pursuing other possible connections between Rodriguez and the missing teen.

In the Baldwin murder case, a judge is expected to rule on a motion to dismiss Rodriguez' defense attorney.

Lubbock County Assistant District Attorney Tray Payne argued at a Thursday hearing that lawyer Albert Rodriguez could not defend the murder suspect because he had handled two knives being used as evidence.

But the defense attorney testified that the knives were never in his possession.
http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4282741&nav=Bsmh

I just saw this on the Nancy Grace show tonite. Nancy was livid when Joe Bill Rogers told her that the first he knew of this suspect was when the defense attorney for Rosendo called him and asked why the LE were trying to link his client to Joanna. The police captain said that there is other information linking Rosendo to Joanna.

txsvicki said:
I just saw this on the Nancy Grace show tonite. Nancy was livid when Joe Bill Rogers told her that the first he knew of this suspect was when the defense attorney for Rosendo called him and asked why the LE were trying to link his client to Joanna. The police captain said that there is other information linking Rosendo to Joanna.

Was it Albert Rodriguez that contacted him?
What was the deal about Albert handling the knives? He claims they were never in his possession, yet they say he will not be representing the defendent because he handled them.
Sounds like a suspicious attorney to me.

I'm not positive but I think it was the attorney Rodriguez who was mentioned as calling Mr. Rogers because Nancy mentioned that he was not related to the murder suspect. I am now wondering if this suspect could be involved in the murder of a young prostitute just the month before Joanna went missing. There was another prostitute murdered the year before also and she was strangled and beaten. Not that Joanna Rogers would be in any way connected to these women, but I have wondered for several years if a predator or serial killer might be around Lubbock since the disappearance and several murders of young women.

txsvicki said:
I'm not positive but I think it was the attorney Rodriguez who was mentioned as calling Mr. Rogers because Nancy mentioned that he was not related to the murder suspect. I am now wondering if this suspect could be involved in the murder of a young prostitute just the month before Joanna went missing. There was another prostitute murdered the year before also and she was strangled and beaten. Not that Joanna Rogers would be in any way connected to these women, but I have wondered for several years if a predator or serial killer might be around Lubbock since the disappearance and several murders of young women.

Could be. They have tied him to two already, and it sounds as though he had very little connection to either of them. So it wouldn't be to far fettched to think there may be more out there.

mysteriew said:
Could be. They have tied him to two already, and it sounds as though he had very little connection to either of them. So it wouldn't be to far fettched to think there may be more out there.
I wonder if the fbi ever looked into the possibility that the baldwin girls email might have been on his computer also. since he stuffed this woman into a suitcase and disposed of her in a landfill, he may have done the same with this young ladys body. these perps tend to follow the same habit of disposing of their victims. sounds to me like this fellow was certainly on the path of a serial killer and used the internet as the lure to get to them. has le ever used cadaber dogs at the landfill in the rogers case? how else could they have each others email address? sounds like that a chat room is a possible connection

I live in Lubbock and have tried to keep up with the disappearance of the two girls and I don't believe that I have ever read that any cadaver search was done at the landfill. That's doesn't mean that there wasn't one done though.

I would think that LE in that county and the surrounding countys would all be taking a look at their missing women over the last few years and seeing if they don't somehow connect to this awful man. It sounds like he did murder Joanna. I wish he would just tell LE how many women he has murdered...who they are...and what he did with them. He is going to prison for the rest of his life or will get the death penalty so he should just tell LE everything. Of course he won't though. Probably part of the thrill for these monsters in not getting caught or never telling....unless they feel the need to brag like Dennis Radar.

lostfaith said:
This article mentions Jennifer and Joanna Rogerss, just thought I would post it. Dont know how it will turn out, and dont know what I am wishing for. Wishing both are still alive, but knowing would at least be something.

http://www.kamc28.tv/news/default.a...hownews&id=1199

LF, the link you posted didn't work, but I think this may have been the article you were posting?There seems to be a problem with direct linking to articles at that site. If you run into a problem, go to the home page and look for the headline. http://www.kamc28.tv/

Human Remains Found In Yellowhouse Canyon

Officials say two men were driving through the area just after 4 p.m. Thursday when one of them received a call on his cell phone. The other man got out of the car to give him some privacy. While walking through the area, the man came upon a human skull.

The Lubbock County Medical Examiner removed the remains and is now waiting for an anthropologist to examine the decomposed skull.
http://www.kamc28.tv/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=1199

There is an update on Joanna Rogers' website:

UPDATE - Friday, December 30th - Skeletal remains were found late yesterday in a rugged area just southeast of Lubbock. It appears that the remains are those of a deceased male and, thus, not of either Joanna or Jennifer Wilkerson. We have no further information regarding the discovery at this time. You can read local press accounts here.

www.bringjohome.info

I was so hopeful that this would solve one of the two cases. Still it is likely they were put into the landfill, as that is what he did with the other person.
You would think that since they found the one woman there, and thinking he might be related to the disappearance of the other two, that LE would undertake the search of the land fill. It may be however that too much time has gone by.

Deputies Find Hand In Yellowhouse Canyon

Lubbock County sheriff`s officials found a human hand in the area of Yellowhouse Canyon where other remains were found last week.
Last Thursday, two passers-by found a human skull off of FM 835 near the Slaton Highway. Then on Friday, sheriff`s officials found what they believe to be the remains from the rest of the body, lying about 10 feet away from where the skull was found.

"We need to know cause of death," says Lubbock County Sheriff David Gutierrez. "We need to know if (this person`s) death was at the scene, or if it was somewhere else. There`s a lot of information that we have not found yet."

Many questions remain unanswered in the case of human remains found in Yellowhouse Canyon last week. But Tuesday, officials got one more clue: a human hand found at the scene.

"We`re always looking and I think they found some additional items from the body, but there is still no conclusion from the autopsy," says Sheriff Gutierrez.

The medical examiner`s office started that autopsy on Saturday. Now, they`re waiting for an anthropologist to help examine the bones. They expect to have preliminary results before the end of the week.

In the meantime, officials are looking at every piece of evidence found at the scene for clues about the victim`s identity.

"There was one piece of clothing that is primarily worn by males, but in this day and age, you never know," says Gutierrez. "Male and females wear sometimes the same clothing."

"The clothing will give a lot of information about whether it`s an adult or child," says Corporal John Gonzalez, with the Texas Department of Public Safety. "Hopefully (that piece of evidence) is still intact."

Something else officials say might help them solve this case is DPS` state-wide Missing Person`s Database. Corporal Gonzalez says aside from looking into the 2004 disappearances of Joanna Rogers and Jennifer Wilkerson, two Lubbock County women missing since 2004, they`re also searching the state`s records for other cases.

"We hold that information and dispurse it out to other agencies so that way, people will be on the lookout," he says.

"I know the investigative division has already pulled up some names that had been reported missing over the last three or four years and are looking at those," says Gutierrez.

The sheriff`s office is treating the area where the bones were found as a crime scene. The area will be secured until the autopsy is complete.

http://www.kamc28.com/

Rodriguez A Suspect In Missing Lubbock Teenager Case

For the first time, a suspect is named in the case of a missing Lubbock teenager. The man, Rosendo Rodriguez III, is already in jail on murder charges.

KAMC-28 first told you on Wednesday about police investigating a possible link between Rodriguez and the disappearance of Joanna Rogers.

That connection was never expected to come out. However, it did Wedesday in a bond reduction hearing for Rodriguez. So on Thursday, the Lubbock Sheriff`s Department explained just what was meant when a Lubbock detective said Rodriguez was being investigated in the disappearance of Rogers.

"I would say they knew each other through electronic communication," said Lubbock Chief Deputy Paul Scarborough, about Rodriguez`s name being found on Rogers` computer just after she disappeared.

It has been 19 months since the 16-year-old went missing.

In September, when Rodriguez was arrested for the murder of Summer Baldwin, his computer was searched. Scarborough says Rogers` name was found on it.

"Based on circumstances with the Baldwin case and the information we have, aside from the computer link, he came to the forefront as a reasonable suspect," he says.

What that other information is, Scarborough will not say.

Does the Lubbock Sheriff`s Department think there was a relationship between Rodriguez and Rogers? "I really am not at liberty to go into that at this point," says Scarborough. "It is an ongoing investigation and we have had some contact with Rosendo`s attorney."

Kathy Rogers, Joanna`s mother, says she has never heard of Rosendo Rodriguez.

"He doesn`t look familiar to me," she says. "The name doesn`t sound familiar. He`s never been to my house. He`s not familiar at all."

The new break gives Mrs. Rogers hope she will soon find Joanna.

"It does change my perspective on things suddenly, like what will happen when and if we find her," she says. "We get used to things as they are, and then suddenly, I have to switch gears.

"I feel like this is the first decent lead since Joanna disappeared."

Late Thursday, a Marine Corps discharge board decided to discharge Rodriguez from the Marine Reserves. It took more than six hours for the panel of three to come to the decision. It was a 2-1 vote to remove Rodriguez, who will leave with a less than honorable discharge.

During the hearing, KAMC-28 heard more detailed information about what Rodriguez told police about the night Summer Baldwin died. He says he and Baldwin went to the Holiday Inn on Avenue Q to have consentual sex. After doing so, he says Baldwin pulled out a crack pipe. Rodriguez says he then grabbed it from her because he does not believe in drugs. According to him, that`s when Baldwin pulled out a knife and attacked him. Rodriguez tells police he then put her in a choke hold and that`s when she died.

A decision to reduce Rodriguez`s bond, which stands at $1 million is expected after the first of the year. Also at that time, Judge Jim Bob Darnell will decide if Rodriguez can keep his defense counsel.

A note from the family:

"Just a quick note to let you know that the Nancy Grace Show has contacted us and wants to do another segment on Joanna and Jennifer Wilkerson. Plans are to tape the show tomorrow afternoon (Friday 1/06/06) and it is scheduled to air the same day, on Friday evening 01/06/06.

The Nancy Grace Show is on CNN Headline News channel, in our area known as HNN, and typically comes on at 7:00 pm, 9:00 pm and midnight. This will be the second time Nancy has devoted time on her show to Joanna's case, and we are very grateful for her help in trying to Bring Joanna Home.

Kathy and Joe Bill Rogers
www.bringjohome.info
www.joannarogers.com"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member