GUILTY CA - Gabriel Fernandez, 8, tortured to death, Palmdale, 22 May 2013

It would be logical to question children away from the parent-but is that legal. If the police have your child, i was of the understanding that a parent or lawyer had to be present for questioning.
I listen to the scanners, the police are often called about children, but frequently its just about an ex partner etc just trying to cause problems, spite.
But if a teacher calls - a think it should be taken very very seriously.
It's just horrible and terrifying for a child, to ask for help, be questioned in front of someone they fear, and then left there.

It would be logical to question children away from the parent-but is that legal. If the police have your child, i was of the understanding that a parent or lawyer had to be present for questioning.
I listen to the scanners, the police are often called about children, but frequently its just about an ex partner etc just trying to cause problems, spite.
But if a teacher calls - a think it should be taken very very seriously.
It's just horrible and terrifying for a child, to ask for help, be questioned in front of someone they fear, and then left there.

I used to work in the public schools. From what I understood, if a child is being questioned about something they might have done themselves, like stealing or cheating or having drugs etc, then a parent must be present if police are called in to question the child.

However, if the child is reporting something, like abuse by a family member or a neighbor, then they do not have to have a parent present, and USUALLY they would not. Sometimes we had their teacher or counselor standing beside them for their support though.

Just wanted to bring over my post from another child murder thread:

"I'm sorry I am not vocal on the "Spotlight on Children" thread, but I do what I can. I feel like I have let MANY children down.

My goal in life was to become a prosecutor for child murder/abuse. I know my shelf life would have been about 5 or so years (if I could handle it), but got pregnant at 36+ and am now raising my own DS. I have only 26 quarter units to complete my BA of SC in BA which should give me entrance into law school (I'll be in my upper 50's). My dear mom, who worked for the DA's office, said I will need a hefty bank account if I do become a prosecutor...cuz my contempt of court fines could be in the 1000"s....true story.

If I can't kill them, I wanna "kill" them."

When are people going to realize that just because you have the equipment to have children does NOT mean you should have children? And once you do have children it doesn't make them your property to do with what you will.
We read about all the stories of the poor kids living & dying through tragic, brutal circumstances, and so many times it comes out that the child had been removed from the parent some time before, then placed back into the home all because a judge believes that it's best for the child to be with bio-parent. Just how many chances should parent(s) get?? I know I'm on an emotional rant right now, but just how fair is this to the child? It seems to me that our system gives abusive/neglectful parents EVERY chance in the world, but how about we give these kids EVERY chance to grow up in a loving, supportive household, even if its not with bio-parent?
Instead we pat the poor lil kid on the head and say "I know your mom/dad hasn't treated you well, but we want to give them another chance....even though we're putting YOUR life and well-being on the line'
I just don't get it, I really don't.

JMO

The grandparents had custody until several months ago. How did these monsters get the kids back into their home? And why did CPS ignore the reports of abuse personally told to them by the child's teacher?

Jesus, this boy got to me. Rest in Peace, sweet boy. You tried and tried to tell someone but no one listened to your cries. Now God has taken you home to live in his house full of love and light.

here is supermom now

Pearl-Fernandez.jpg

taken from this link http://theavtimes.com/2013/05/23/pa...on-after-abuse-mother-and-boyfriend-arrested/

What this baby endured is inhuman. What sort of evil person do you have to be to get your kicks out of torturing your own child?

A case hasn't hit me this hard in a long, long time. My heart is breaking for what Gabriel had to endure in his short life. It's enough to make me want to share a cell with his (I say this loosely) mother for just 5 minutes. How could she?? I hope she is tortured ten-fold for the rest of her natural life behind bars. I want her to live her life in paralyzing fear. The social workers involved in this case not only need to be fired, but to make a public apology for failing this poor child so recklessly and cruelly. I feel horrible for Gabriel's teacher who tried in vain to save him. It hurts my heart to think how devastated she must be.

Please don't think that I am only blaming the mother. The boyfriend is equally horrible, but it disgusts me that a MOTHER could do this to her own child.

http://www.swrnn.com/2013/06/04/death-of-8-year-old-palmdale-boy-prompts-multi-agency-investigation/

Death of 8-year-old Palmdale boy prompts multi-agency investigation

Responding in part to the death of 8-year-old Palmdale boy allegedly beaten to death by his mother’s boyfriend as she stood by, state lawmakers called today for an investigation of three county child welfare agencies.

Assemblymen Mike Gatto, D-Los Angeles, and Tim Donnelly, R-Twin Peaks, said they would ask for an audit of child welfare agencies in Los Angeles, Orange and Sacramento counties at a Joint Legislative Audit Committee hearing set for tomorrow.

“Children like Gabriel (Fernandez) rely on adults to keep them safe and advocate for their needs,” Gatto said. “The death of an 8-year-old boy, whose abuse and neglect was known by officials, is not just unacceptable — it is horrifying.”

A 9 a.m. rally is planned tomorrow in Sacramento before the 10 a.m. hearing by the audit committee.

They say this every time a child dies under their watch and nothing ever changes. I'm a 30-plus year Floridian. I know.

Things can ALWAYS change if we continue to fight. It may not save every child but to not at least try would be so unfair to so many children.

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/22516740/remembering-gabriel-fernandez

Remembering Gabriel Fernandez

It was his first grade teacher who wanted the memorial, in part because no one was invited to his funeral. Jen Garcia also felt her students, Gabriel's classmates, needed something to help process the loss. She's had to answer some tough questions from her young charges. How could a mother hurt her child or let someone else hurt him.

I don't post but I am following. This case breaks my heart. I cry every time I come here to get updated.

Little guy. Sorry. here I go again.

I made it this far before I had to walk away. I couldn't read through my tears. :cry:

RIP Sweet Gabriel

When are people going to realize that just because you have the equipment to have children does NOT mean you should have children? And once you do have children it doesn't make them your property to do with what you will.
We read about all the stories of the poor kids living & dying through tragic, brutal circumstances, and so many times it comes out that the child had been removed from the parent some time before, then placed back into the home all because a judge believes that it's best for the child to be with bio-parent. Just how many chances should parent(s) get?? I know I'm on an emotional rant right now, but just how fair is this to the child? It seems to me that our system gives abusive/neglectful parents EVERY chance in the world, but how about we give these kids EVERY chance to grow up in a loving, supportive household, even if its not with bio-parent?
Instead we pat the poor lil kid on the head and say "I know your mom/dad hasn't treated you well, but we want to give them another chance....even though we're putting YOUR life and well-being on the line'
I just don't get it, I really don't.

JMO

BBM: Nothing to add to this except I thought it deserved to be repeated (particularly the bolded sections). Well said!

And to know she is pregnant AGAIN makes me sick! I'll take the baby and love him/her as though he/she is my very own. I'm one of those who can't have a bio child, but would love another baby.

This "mom" is one of those who can have a bio child and MURDERS him! :banghead:

I made it this far before I had to walk away. I couldn't read through my tears. :cry:

RIP Sweet Gabriel

BBM: Nothing to add to this except I thought it deserved to be repeated (particularly the bolded sections). Well said!

And to know she is pregnant AGAIN makes me sick! I'll take the baby and love him/her as though he/she is my very own. I'm one of those who can't have a bio child, but would love another baby.

This "mom" is one of those who can have a bio child and MURDERS him! :banghead:

Bree, I just want to give you a hug :hug: Sometimes things in life don't seem to make ANY sense.

Bree, I just want to give you a hug :hug: Sometimes things in life don't seem to make ANY sense.

THANK YOU!!!! We are very blessed to have one amazing little boy. We adopted him (from birth). He is 4 now and the absolute love of our lives. He wants a baby sister or brother and we'd love to give him one.

THANK YOU!!!! We are very blessed to have one amazing little boy. We adopted him (from birth). He is 4 now and the absolute love of our lives. He wants a baby sister or brother and we'd love to give him one.

Very cool! Great to meet ya! I'm an adoptive mom of a wonderful son as an infant too :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back