WA WA - Maureen Kelly, 19, Skamania County, 10 June 2013

Laura Rillos ‏@LauraRillos 9m
One of the dogs searching in a Skamania County forest for missing woman who went on a spiritual quest. pic.twitter.com/rbeGyrAYl0

Laura Rillos ‏@LauraRillos 1h
Volunteer searcher says Maureen Kelly crossed this creek and made it up to a road. Her track stops at the pavement. pic.twitter.com/IfZiHWLbHk

Laura Rillos ‏@LauraRillos 1h
This is the campsite in Skamania County that a 19 year woman left to go on a spiritual quest. pic.twitter.com/XR3Vffa5K2

BBM. this scares me. where does that road lead to and from??

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today...-hiker-is-laid-back-carefree/?syndication=rss

Kaupu said her missing half-sister, Maureen Kelly, phoned her shortly before heading into the national forest.

“She called me before she left to go camping with friends and asked if she could borrow some camping gear,” Kaupu said. ”She was excited about going … she told me she loved me. That’s normal for her. She’s an affectionate person.”

Kaupu said Kelly made no mention of plans to go alone on a hike without clothes, in what acquaintances described to authorities as a “spiritual quest.”

Thank you Cheese for all you do

I have seen you on many many missing people threads

You are an angel

I do believe the dogs lost her scent at the road

she got in a car-I hate to say that,but we need to look at that angle

Anyone could have pick her up

What a scary thought

I have done nothing but think of her!!!

I really hope she is found safe,,,,

I wonder who reported her missing? Was she with a group of people? How long was she supposed to have been gone?
It's weird, articles say acquaintances not friends. I wonder if her family doesn't know any of these people.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021167792_nakedhikerxml.html

Clark County court records indicate Kelly was in district court last Friday after failing a drug test required as part of pleading guilty last year to being a minor in possession of alcohol.

At the hearing, a judge reordered Kelly to comply with all conditions, which included a fine of more than $500, according to court records.

Two days later, Kelly apparently went on her “quest.”

What are the chances she actually never made it all the way into the woods? What if someone planned her kidnapping? I feel terrible for Maureen and her family. Imo

Edited to correct stupid auto spell.

BBM. this scares me. where does that road lead to and from??

The road is NF-54, it's paved but doesn't look like a major road within the forest. I can't find any marked trails near that campground, but there could be an unmarked trail. NF-54 doesn't look very far from the campground but it's very steep which would take time to climb it, especially without any clothes or shoes. She could have got to the top and found it was even more difficult to go down the canyon. Maybe started walking the road and then it got dark. But the dogs lost her scent at the road and in one report they thought she might have just crossed the road to the other side and continued hiking.

What are the chances she actually never made it all the way into the woods? What if someone planned her kidnapping? I feel terrible for Maureen and her family. Imo.

You mean someone at the campgrounds?

Until I have more concrete info about who saw her walk naked into the woods, I'm not convinced she walked naked into the woods. Too crafty a cover story for if she's found deceased and naked in the woods, imo.

In trying to think of things that could have happened to MK, certainly one of them is that she didn't actually go off by herself naked. It just sounds so odd. To be hiking barefoot would be insane. But rescue did find a bare foot print in the mud and did track her up to the road. So at least they do know that she did leave camp.

The difficult part is they found her scent up to the road but couldn't find where she re-entered the woods on the other side. The part I am not understanding is did they not find any scent at all on the road? I would think they could have tracked her walking along the road. If not then it would be a clear possibility that she got into a vehicle (willingly or unwillingly).

Also I would think that if she had no shoes on then once she got to the road she would have wanted to walk the road since it would be easier on her feet. Maybe she had a wound and flagged down a motorist? I can't imagine that there is all that many cars on that road, but there certainly could have been some.

Did they check hospitals for her?

Otherwise if she is still in the woods then I would think hypothermia would have taken over by now...no clothes, no supplies...I can't imagine her surviving the elements.

Until I have more concrete info about who saw her walk naked into the woods, I'm not convinced she walked naked into the woods. Too crafty a cover story for if she's found deceased and naked in the woods, imo.

Agreed, deceased, naked with a stab wound?

If the scent trail is correct, she either got into a car or was put into one, making it less likely she will be found murdered in the woods, IMO, at least in that area.

I am curious to know who these friends are. Males or females? Why are the police so sure foul play isn't a possibility. Maybe they were trying to force her to do something she didn't want to do, she was uncomfortable with it or unhappy and she decided to take off naked. Not by choice by necessity.

Has anyone said "Yes, Maureen was totally the type to walk naked into the woods on a spiritual quest."
Because I DO know people like that. I know people that I would totally believe that about.

If anyone ever tried to tell MY family that I had done that, they would laugh at them.

I want to know what her close family and close friends think about this story.
Sounds to me more like a murder that they are trying to cover up. :twocents:

My thoughts exactly.

That's what I'm thinking. Who are these people she was with? And why would they let her go walking in the woods naked, especially without shoes??

Has anyone said "Yes, Maureen was totally the type to walk naked into the woods on a spiritual quest."
Because I DO know people like that. I know people that I would totally believe that about.

If anyone ever tried to tell MY family that I had done that, they would laugh at them.

I want to know what her close family and close friends think about this story.
Sounds to me more like a murder that they are trying to cover up. :twocents:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021167792_nakedhikerxml.html

Amanda Ziegler, also of Vancouver, who’s been friends with Kelly for about a year, said Kelly has spoken of going on a spiritual journey before.

But Ziegler said she was surprised and concerned to hear Kelly apparently went into the woods naked and with little equipment or supplies other than a compass and a knife.

“It’s strange because she would know better than to go out unprepared like that,” Ziegler said. “It doesn’t make sense.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back