MD MD - Upper Marlboro, WhtMale 15-20, UP4833, initials 'ELT' on jacket, Dec'73

I have a strong suspicion ELT are his initials. I don't think that was just a random occurrence. So, if anyone could help me figure out how to search ancestry.com by just first letters of each name I'd be more than happy to comb through the results.

Such a sad case where a young boy has been dead so long and still has no name. I think the streetkid scenario is likely IMO and agree the drawing looks older than the PM photo- the resemblance is close but it's like he's been aged up a couple of years. I hope he is identified but I worry no one ever even reported him missing. He strikes me as maybe hispanic or... ? Can't put my finger on it, I'm terrible with identifying ethnicity, but I feel the 'white' description might be slightly misleading. I wonder if his photo was circulated round other hospitals in the area/neighbouring states at the time...

.... He strikes me as maybe hispanic or... ? Can't put my finger on it, I'm terrible with identifying ethnicity, but I feel the 'white' description might be slightly misleading. ...I

Back in 1973, there were not as many hispanic folks in Maryland as there are today. However, there has always been a group of people known as "Wesorts". They are said to be descendants of the origional Native American people known as Piscataway Indians who intermarried with peoples of black, white, and mixed blood. This boy may be one of them.

It is possible that this young man could have been from anywhere. If he was under the age of 18, and was picked up as a vagrant/homless person, or if arrested for something, he would have been brought to Boys Village Cheltenham.

There are some indications that he was a run-away from Boys Village. The fact that he was not well dressed for the weather, the close proximity of where his body was found to Boys Village, and the fact that he was outside in the elements rather than staying at someone's house (unfamiliar with the area), all point to the possibility of Boys Village.

He could have been homeless and on the move for weeks or months before his possible arrest and his death. Whether or not any missing persons report was ever filed, or if filed whether it made it out to Maryland are questions to be looked into.

I wonder if he was in some sort of foster care or other youth facilities at some time.

Here's my facial reconstruction for this John Doe.
0906831b-b60c-4c57-b23f-a8f56e021c28.jpg

at first your recon reminded me of another maryland case you did an amazing recon for (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33848&page=4) carl, but i think it was just that i saw a widows peak and MD and my mind was racing with theories that they were runaway siblings... that's what a long weekend's worth of Law & Order marathons will do to you, i guess :blushing:

i like the BV theory you guys have tossed around, it definitely makes sense (esp if he had a past with drugs). i would love to know if that was thoroughly investigated in '73... i would imagine that if residents of the area were uneasy about safety with escaping "residents", they have made a huge stink bout a dead boy being found in the area of BV. how could LE not exhaust that link?

Yeah I like the BV idea but at the same time if he did escape BV probably would have quietly claimed the body and swept any press under the rug very quick.

Bump for this sweet boy. I think about him all the time.

The PM photo shows a younger-looking boy than the Reconstruction on Doe. When I first saw the reconstruction I thought he looked Native American or maybe even Hispanic but both the PM and CarlK's reconstruction look more Jewish to me, so possibly that explains his pants saying "shalom" on them.
He's fairly short for his age so he may have been at the lower estimated age limit, although he is still short for a 15 year old.

I keep popping back to this case all the time. Probably because its like so many that seem unbeliveable that they never get solved.

Anyway, here are some of my thoughts and rants on this case. I'm sharing them just in case someone on here has some info on them.

1. On his pants it mentioned the word "Shalom" and other crude markings. Does anyone know what these other markings are....words, symbols, profanity, etc. It may give us clue to his inteligence, age, or area he's from.
2. The initials ELT on the jacket. The first thing I thought was when I was younger my mom wrote my initials on my coat because other kids at school had the same coat. This makes me believe recent school activity or reform school maybe. Its possible if he ran away from the local BV that it may be someone else's coat. Man it would be nice to know if there was a kid with the initials ELT there around that time even if he didn't go missing.
3. Needle marks - wondering if the needle tracks were the typical scared over kind drug users get or could have they been recent punctures from someone doing an IV. Its not uncommon for medics/nurses/etc to have to try a couple of times to hit a vein.
4. No fingerprints...really...I mean really? Report says: Estimated postmortem interval Hours. So a suspected drug user is not printed? Why? How may drug users even young ones don't end up in the system at some time or another. Seems like they dropped a huge possibility here.
5. Age listed is 15-20yrs old. How many guys have peach fuzz at 20yrs old. I think 12-15yrs is more like it.
6. Doesn't say how he was found. Does it looked like he was curled up trying to stay warm and died? Or is it possible he was dumped there. It mentioned socks, and then boot...boot singular not boots. I was wondering if he had both boots or not. I'd be surprised that a kid would run away and take the time to get dressed, put on a belt, and only put on one boot.
7. Location - I looked at Google earth of the area listed where he was found. Report states he was found in a wooded lot on Old Crain Road near Pennsylvania Ave. When looking at historical images of that location (only avail back to 1988) it shows a clearing in the woods near the intersection of OLD Crain and Penn Ave. Looks almost like a easy pull off stop for a trucker.

I keep popping back to this case all the time. Probably because its like so many that seem unbeliveable that they never get solved.

Anyway, here are some of my thoughts and rants on this case. I'm sharing them just in case someone on here has some info on them.

1. On his pants it mentioned the word "Shalom" and other crude markings. Does anyone know what these other markings are....words, symbols, profanity, etc. It may give us clue to his inteligence, age, or area he's from.
2. The initials ELT on the jacket. The first thing I thought was when I was younger my mom wrote my initials on my coat because other kids at school had the same coat. This makes me believe recent school activity or reform school maybe. Its possible if he ran away from the local BV that it may be someone else's coat. Man it would be nice to know if there was a kid with the initials ELT there around that time even if he didn't go missing.
3. Needle marks - wondering if the needle tracks were the typical scared over kind drug users get or could have they been recent punctures from someone doing an IV. Its not uncommon for medics/nurses/etc to have to try a couple of times to hit a vein.
4. No fingerprints...really...I mean really? Report says: Estimated postmortem interval Hours. So a suspected drug user is not printed? Why? How may drug users even young ones don't end up in the system at some time or another. Seems like they dropped a huge possibility here.
5. Age listed is 15-20yrs old. How many guys have peach fuzz at 20yrs old. I think 12-15yrs is more like it.
6. Doesn't say how he was found. Does it looked like he was curled up trying to stay warm and died? Or is it possible he was dumped there. It mentioned socks, and then boot...boot singular not boots. I was wondering if he had both boots or not. I'd be surprised that a kid would run away and take the time to get dressed, put on a belt, and only put on one boot.
7. Location - I looked at Google earth of the area listed where he was found. Report states he was found in a wooded lot on Old Crain Road near Pennsylvania Ave. When looking at historical images of that location (only avail back to 1988) it shows a clearing in the woods near the intersection of OLD Crain and Penn Ave. Looks almost like a easy pull off stop for a trucker.

God I hope he wasn't sexually abused or anything... the only extra info I could get from the ME is that he died of pneumonia.

God I hope he wasn't sexually abused or anything... the only extra info I could get from the ME is that he died of pneumonia.

I know I wasn't adding any useful info but I didn't know if anyone here had contacted LE and any more case info about him.
I mentioned if he looked liked he was dumped there or if he was resting there and just passed away.
Or was he seen in that area by locals...if so did they know he was possibly staying in the wooded area. When he was found, did the person that found him notice him while driving past...or was it someone walking in the woods that stumbled upon him.

If anyone has any connections please definitely ask the questions that fishman raised. I see on NAMUS the only contact listed is the ME.

His teeth look kind of rough in his morgue photo... based on that I simply assume he was either a street kid or his family didn't have the resources for dental care. I'm more than sure his baby teeth had already fallen out and been replaced by adult teeth at time of death.

What about Gary Locklear?

Endangered Missing from Charleston, South Carolina since September 6, 1974

Age: 15 -- Height: 5'10" -- Weight: 165 lbs -- Hair Color: Brown -- Eye Color: Brown

Gary has a 2-inch scar on the right side of his abdomen from a coffee burn.

I think I'm grasping for straws here..

What about Gary Locklear?

Endangered Missing from Charleston, South Carolina since September 6, 1974

Age: 15 -- Height: 5'10" -- Weight: 165 lbs -- Hair Color: Brown -- Eye Color: Brown

Gary has a 2-inch scar on the right side of his abdomen from a coffee burn.

I think I'm grasping for straws here..

It's hard to compare looking at Gary's photo. But the deceased comes in at 5'0"..Gary's height being listed at 5'6". Also it lists Gary's disappearance on September 6, 1974. The deceased was found 12/06/1973.

It's hard to compare looking at Gary's photo. But the deceased comes in at 5'0"..Gary's height being listed at 5'6". Also it lists Gary's disappearance on September 6, 1974. The deceased was found 12/06/1973.

LOL I knew I was off!!!!! I was searching for 1976 for some reason on the porchlight forums... *Sigh* back to the drawing board and the 70s!

There are NO fingerprints, NO dentals, and NO DNA for this UID. Even if we did come up with possible matches, how could they be verified or excluded? Other than having a parent or sibling making a positive ID from the morgue photo, I suppose.

That said, I do think Sammy Lloyd Jackson is a good possibility. If he and his buddy did run away and spent the next five years drifting around the country, they could have parted ways at some point. Five years on the fringes of society could, I think, mean less than adequate nutrition on a regular basis, and Sammy was only 4'8" when he went missing. That might explain growing only four inches between the ages of 13 and 18. The shape of his face is similar, though I would like to see what our UID looked like without his jaw hanging open. Sammy and the UID both have a fuller lower lip, strong eyebrows, and similar noses. Maybe some difference in the bridge of the nose.

73_02136_uid_namus_4_41A84F_zps57a58134.jpg
jackson_sammy_zps7091a7ed.jpg
2792319880045078242_zps040c1e10.jpg

Maybe he came from St. Mary's College?? It closed down in the early 70s due to decreased enrollment... it's about 46 miles from the spot where this dear boy was found, but maybe he was released into the public and was walking toward home?

http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=20669

"For over 100 years, St. Mary's College was a religious preparatory school for young men entering the seminary. The school was founded in 1866 and its main building was erected in 1868 in Ilchester, Maryland, just outside Ellicott City and not too far west of Baltimore on the B&O rail line. The school was run by a Catholic religious order known as the Redemptorists. Over the years, the number of men entering the order dwindled and the school was eventually forced to close its doors in 1972."

http://ann.stubbornlights.org/stmarys/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartan12!!
Back