WI WI - Georgia Weckler, 8, Fort Atkinson, 1 May 1947

One more suggestion. From the articles that I read, and given that Georgia wasn't found in the river, it appears that Stennett had a penchant for creating "secret hideouts" in the woods. I don't wonder if Georgia might have not been buried out in those woods? Just a thought.

May will mark 65 years since Georgia went missing.

Investigators sift Janesville site for remains of 8-year-old girl missing for 66 years

Investigators on Monday began digging through dirt with their hands at a Janesville site in a search for the remains of an 8-year-old girl who was reported missing 66 years ago near Cambridge.

[snip]

Search dogs indicated that the remains of a body might be buried at the undeveloped lot at the intersection of North Wright and East Rotamer roads on the city's northeast side, about a mile east of Interstate 39-90, Christiansen said.

Now on Fox news site - hopefully, a renewed interest and bigger audience will help solve this tragic case:

JANESVILLE, Wis. – Investigators are digging up an empty lot in Janesville after receiving a tip about a cold case dating back to 1947 from neighboring Jefferson County.
The Rock County Sheriff's Department says an individual provided some information to detectives last month, and they're checking it out.
The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office says the case involves an 8-year-old girl who had gone missing May 1, 1947. Georgia Jean Weckler was last seen after being dropped off by a neighbor after school at her parents' farm near Fort Atkinson. The driver saw her get mail from the mailbox, but the girl also said she wanted to go into the woods to pick flowers for a May basket.
Rock County authorities are working with the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department and a canine search-and-rescue unit.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/0...-147-cold-case/?test=latestnews#ixzz2bBpzuPeU

Now on Fox news site - hopefully, a renewed interest and bigger audience will help solve this tragic case:

JANESVILLE, Wis. – Investigators are digging up an empty lot in Janesville after receiving a tip about a cold case dating back to 1947 from neighboring Jefferson County.
The Rock County Sheriff's Department says an individual provided some information to detectives last month, and they're checking it out.
The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office says the case involves an 8-year-old girl who had gone missing May 1, 1947. Georgia Jean Weckler was last seen after being dropped off by a neighbor after school at her parents' farm near Fort Atkinson. The driver saw her get mail from the mailbox, but the girl also said she wanted to go into the woods to pick flowers for a May basket.
Rock County authorities are working with the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department and a canine search-and-rescue unit.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/0...-147-cold-case/?test=latestnews#ixzz2bBpzuPeU

Wonder what this empty lot was in 1947? Any info on that?

New tip leads to cops reopening 66-year-old cold case of missing eight-year-old girl
Georgia Jean Weckler was last seen by a family friend who took her home from school May 1, 1947
The friend saw the young girl get her family's mail and continue down a trail towards their home
Both the girl and the mail were never seen again
By RYAN GORMAN
PUBLISHED: 00:06 EST, 6 August 2013 | UPDATED: 03:23 EST, 6 August 2013
3 View
comments
Wisconsin authorities think they may have finally found the remains of an eight-year-old girl who went missing 66-years ago.
Based on a tip they received, officials have begun searching a lot in hope of finding the remains of blonde haired, blue eyed Georgia Jean Weckler after she went missing in 1947. The man who tipped authorities to the location said she may be buried in the lot, according to reports.
Weckler was last seen retrieving the mail from her mailbox, according to the Janesville Gazette.
Never found: Georgia Jean Weckler, 8, went missing May 1, 1947 and was never seen again
Never found: Georgia Jean Weckler, 8, went missing May 1, 1947 and was never seen again
Both the local sheriff’s office and town police descended on the Janesville, WI., lot after being told by an elderly man that he believed Weckler may be buried there, according to WISC. A preliminary search of the property by a K9 unit detected human remains at the site and authorities moved in.
‘[The tip] is credible, and we’re going to do our best to hopefully find evidence, either she’s there or she's not,’ Rock County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Todd Christiansen told WISC.

More...
First pictures of brothers, age 5 and 7, who were crushed in their sleep by 16-foot python that slithered into their room through a vent
Eight-year-old boy dies after being found submerged head-first in washing machine
Foster mother beats toddler after she was seized from her biological parents because social services discovered them smoking pot
Of the 48 square plots the parcel of land has been divided into, investigators have only dug and sifted through two so far, according to WISC. Remains have yet to be found.
‘It could take days. It’s quite a big area and we have to sift through the dirt that’s plotted out,’ Christiansen told WISC, ‘there’s numerous plots that we have to go through and individually sift the dirt.’
Based on a tip: Authorities are digging up a lot in Janesville,. WI., after acting on a tip that led to a K9 unit detecting human remains
Based on a tip: Authorities are digging up a lot in Janesville,. WI., after acting on a tip that led to a K9 unit detecting human remains
The young girl was reportedly abducted in broad daylight May 1, 1947.
Given a ride home by a family friend, according to an archived Gazette report, Weckler was seen taking ‘the family's mail from the mail box along the highway and stroll down the lane. She was never seen again. The mail was never found.’
Multiple law enforcement agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation, were involved at the search, according to the Gazette. Neither Weckler’s remains, nor an abductor were ever found.
No easy task: Investigators have only dug up and sifted through two of the 46 sections the lot has been divided into
No easy task: Investigators have only dug up and sifted through two of the 46 sections the lot has been divided into
An imprisoned murderer confessed to the crime but changed his story enough times for authorities to shift their focus away from him, reported the Gazette.
In 1967, then Sheriff Roger Reinel expressed his disappointment over having not solved the case, even after 20-years.
‘I don't imagine it will ever be closed,’ Reinel told the Gazette, ‘tt will always be on file.’
Almost 70 years later his words ring true, authorities hope to prove him wrong.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-reopened-66-years-new-tip.html#ixzz2bD6o7kVb
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

. . . on Tuesday, July 30, detectives of the Rock County Sheriff’s Office and Janesville Police Department received information from an man in his 80s concerning the unsolved or “cold” case . . .

“I don’t believe he said her name; I think he just said where he thought she was missing from,” the captain added . . .

The only information that connects the investigation to Jefferson County is the tipster identified something he thought maybe was suspicious at the site many years ago to a timeframe when Weckler had gone missing. . .

“Other than this man believing he saw something concerning to him, for whatever reason, he went to the Rock County Sheriff’s Office and reported something he observed many years ago and wondered if it was tied in with the missing person case that occurred May 1, 1947,” Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Jeff Parker said.
http://www.dailyunion.com/news/article_ad344246-fdf4-11e2-987b-001a4bcf6878.htm
The dig site (at the intersection of North Wright and North Rotamer) is about 2 miles east of where Hwy 26 crosses I-39/90. Janesville is in Rock County, but the article says that there is a connection to Jefferson County, which borders to the northeast and is about 10 plus miles from the search site.

Search halted after five days, no remains found.

http://news.yahoo.com/investigators-searching-girl-missing-66-years-end-wisconsin-234232783.html

"We didn't find anything and we are done digging," Haferman said.

Rock County Sheriff's Captain Todd Christiansen said about 30 people started the dig and half that number worked on Friday to wrap it up. Searchers mapped out 24 grids measuring roughly 10 feet by 10 feet, and used hand tools to remove earth and sift it for human remains, Christiansen said.

Investigators, who have not identified the person who gave them the tip, plan to meet with the tipster again next week, Christiansen said.

All

Georgia is my 1st cousin, but was taken long before I was born. I have a website with all the newspaper articles that were save at the time and one as recent as 1996. I believe she was killed by Sennett, McCelland and the unidentfied woman. She took them to the hideout just outside of Richland Center which is near the Wisconsin River and the City of Blue River. These articles mention she was dumped into the Wisconsin River, off the Blue River bridge, I believe she as put in the Blue River leaving the city on US133 (now). Thanks for the extra information and concern for her.

This is my website on Georgia Jean Weckler: http://home.comcast.net/~j.weckler/

John
The suspect was driving a black Chevrolet two door sedan with Nebraska license plates. http://iowacoldcases.org/case-summaries/donna-sue-davis/ in this second case it they got the wrong guy. http://iowacoldcases.org/case-summaries/jimmy-bremmers/ Could they be connected to this case?

Wow. People always say, "People are crazy "nowadays" watch your kids" People have ALWAYS been crazy. Take children, murders, rapes were all over. We just didn't have media 24/7. I hope this case is solved for remaining family members.

One of those "click-bait" articles, but at least it's about something worthwhile.

9 real-life horror stories of people who disappeared and were never found

5) Georgia Weckler (Wisconsin, 1947)

The sad story of the disappearance of Georgia Weckler, 8, is haunting for one specific reason: "Curiously, prior to her disappearance, Georgia had made several remarks indicating that she especially feared being kidnapped." What prompted this we'll likely never know.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/31/7135439/real-life-horror-stories-disappearances

In October 1954, Charles Edward McClelland, 25, who admitted to four other murders and was being tried in Nebraska for the death of a prison guard there, said he was involved in the Weckler disappearance. He said the girl was strangled to death and that her body was buried near a creekbed in Illinois. The area was searched, but no evidence was found. He later said he made up the story after reading about the Weckler girl in an Omaha newspaper.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/weckler_georgia.html

I don't think the woman who gave her a ride home had anything to do with it but, from what I can see, it sure seems like she got off really easy. In that era, I suppose she got polite treatment because she was woman. Today, she would have gotten a heavy going over just to make sure.

Received a call from the Detective tonite with this information, Georgia's is the 2nd oldest open case in the state and thought I should pass this information. Want to update Georgia's website with this information and also the passing of her Aunt Lucille who gave me most of the newspaper articles I used.

Hi John,
Here’s the information for the Wisconsin Missing Persons Awareness event on April 24[SUP]th[/SUP]. Feel free to share it on Facebook.
The Facebook link for the event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1476213869069892/
Marsha was interviewed earlier today and it just aired on the news:
http://wbay.com/2016/03/31/a-daughters-mission-gives-new-hope-to-families-of-wisconsins-missing/
Thanks,

Detective Leah M. Meyer
Jefferson County Sheriff's Office

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:16 PM
To: Leah Meyer
Subject: missing persons awareness event

Hi Leah,
My name is Marsha Loritz and my mom has been missing for almost 3 years now.

I have written to Governor Scott Walker and he has proclaimed April to be Missing Persons Awareness Month for the 2nd consecutive year.

I’m trying to reach out to families of the missing to invite them to an event I am holding on April 24th at The Brown

County Sheriff’s office. I’m wondering if you could help me with this… Could you reach out to the families in your

area that have a missing loved one and share this with them? They can reach me at : mloritz@new.rr.com or on Facebook.

I’m enclosing the flyers for the event as well.

I’m also going to share with you that Lamar Advertising and I have teamed up and starting Monday,

we are launching a billboard campaign showcasing Wisconsin’s Missing Persons on billboards in and

around the Green Bay area and Milwaukee.

Thank you for taking the time to talk to me today!!!

Also you could post on your police Facebook page if you have one. :)

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Marsha Loritz

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member