Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #62 ~ the appeal~

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the reason though?

Good question. Why do you think someone's tech savvy brother would remove their phone from a crime scene and wipe its contents before changing the password and returning it to the investigating authorities weeks later? Any guesses?

Good question. Why do you think someone's tech savvy brother would remove their phone from a crime scene and wipe its contents before changing the password and returning it to the investigating authorities weeks later? Any guesses?

A couple of guesses, yes. How about you?

Naah, I just think it was Oscar staying true to type. Lose one, plug in another FHM blonde model/law graduate.
Actually, I think it probably indicates some kind of very disturbing mental issues. Who the hell would do that?

Not possible that its just his "type" then?

Are you honestly suggesting that a man who is attracted to a particular type of woman has "mental issues"?

Yes, he's an a$$hole.

Are you honestly suggesting that a man who is attracted to a particular type of woman has "mental issues"?
Whether it's his type or not, for someone so deeply in "mourning" and broken and distraught blah blah blah - he didn't waste a second getting out there to find a substitute Reeva. And before you say that could be indicative of his sorrow/pain/loss... i don't buy it. His behaviour was suspect well before the killing and continued to be suspect afterwards.

Noooo... not at all. But I am suggesting that a man who is currently on trial for his girlfriend's murder, who goes out carousing to several nightclubs and begins making unwanted advances to a young woman who just happens to bear a striking resemblance to the girlfriend he shot and killed 52 days prior (including having been an FHM model and a law school graduate), well, let's just say he might want to discuss this with his analyst.

Noooo... not at all. But I am suggesting that a man who is currently on trial for his girlfriend's murder, who goes out carousing to several nightclubs and begins making unwanted advances to a young woman who just happens to bear a striking resemblance to the girlfriend he shot and killed 52 days prior (including having been an FHM model and a law school graduate), well, let's just say he might want to discuss this with his analyst.

Or a panel of several analysts.

I agree it works both ways. It just hasn't appeared to have worked both ways in an equal, balanced way in this case. (IMO)

That is quite possibly because at the very least Pistorius`s specific actions (as opposed to the circumstances of superficially similar cases) left a young woman dead when it could all have been so easily avoided. And that is at the very least and assuming that it was indeed an `accident`. I really don`t think there was any motive behind all the anti Pistorius stories other than people`s anger and disgust at how easily a life was taken and it makes sense that that outrage was directed towards the person who was 100% responsible for it.

That is quite possibly because at the very least Pistorius`s specific actions (as opposed to the circumstances of superficially similar cases) left a young woman dead when it could all have been so easily avoided.<SNIPPED>.

"Who goes there?"
"Reeva, is that you?"

I don't really see why he should conform to some posters' ideas of how to behave in a situation none of us has any experience of. Besides, nothing he does will ever be seen in a positive light by posters on here. If he does something nice, it'll be 'he's doing it for the publicity', if someone picks a fight with him it'll be 'he's the one with the temper so he must have caused it - lock him up!'. If he finds a job: 'he should be paying every penny to Reeva's family or charity' etc. It's very predictable. Every tiny bit of news seems just an excuse to bash OP.

Yes but it doesn't really matter what a few score posters on different forums say, does it.?

As you say , opinion has hardened against him so he and his supporters need a new strategy/change of direction. I don't see how coming on here helps tackle the bigger problem. But, you must have some practical solutions.

Yes but it doesn't really matter what a few score posters on different forums say, does it.?

As you say , opinion has hardened against him so he and his supporters need a new strategy/change of direction. I don't see how coming on here helps tackle the bigger problem. But, you must have some practical solutions.
....to be quite honest i'm a little disapointed with the pro Pistorius on here i had expected something a little more .......it's understandable to a certain degree it would require a real effort to believe it was an accident after all .....

I suspect a lot of posters have mostly followed the media's appraisal of this case and the media have led the 'outrage' with often highly biased articles because those stories sell. So I don't think it's a case of public opinion hardening so much as the media finding it's worth too much money to change the story.

I don't really see why he should conform to some posters' ideas of how to behave in a situation none of us has any experience of. Besides, nothing he does will ever be seen in a positive light by posters on here. If he does something nice, it'll be 'he's doing it for the publicity', if someone picks a fight with him it'll be 'he's the one with the temper so he must have caused it - lock him up!'.
BIB - And no matter how many lies OP has told, or how many times he has shown himself to be aggressive and manipulative - there are posters on here who will still say "Oh, he was upset" - or "But you don't know how you'd react in the same situation" - or "Poor love was distraught/depressed/stressed" - and simply come up with one excuse after another to justify his bad behaviour. Some people will never see him in a negative light, unless perhaps he shoots dead one of their loved ones.

I suspect a lot of posters have mostly followed the media's appraisal of this case and the media have led the 'outrage' with often highly biased articles because those stories sell. So I don't think it's a case of public opinion hardening so much as the media finding it's worth too much money to change the story.

CNN`s approach was the total opposite of what you are claiming, to the point where I wondered if it was an editorial decision based on `hero tragically shoots love of his life in case of mistaken identity` making a better storyline than `jumpy jerk shoots first, asks questions later'.

As for outrage, yes it is outrageous what he did. Like all his supporters you appear to find his predicament the central tragedy of this story, not the woman with everything to live for dying on his toilet cubicle floor, all because of his exaggerated fears and his knee-jerk reactions.

BIB But "our" sources of information are exactly the same as "yours". So logically that can't follow can it?

Good point Lithgow, had "forgotten" about Kelly Phelps etc.

BTW GR, I have read, as most will have here, the "fair " articles by for example, Aisling O'Faoilan- she did about 10 long articles for news 24- I found them wanting. I don't think I need to link them or get into their content - it's been done before.

Surely you have to "move on" now and say "right, what now", how can "we" counter this media narrative. I thought you would genuinely have some suggestions as you have clearly thought so much about it and if I was in your shoes, yes other than the Appeal of course, that would be my concern.

CNN`s approach was the total opposite of what you are claiming, to the point where I wondered if it was an editorial decision based on `hero tragically shoots love of his life in case of mistaken identity` making a better storyline than `jumpy jerk shoots first, asks questions later'.

As for outrage, yes it is outrageous what he did. Like all his supporters you appear to find his predicament the central tragedy of this story, not the woman with everything to live for dying on his toilet cubicle floor, all because of his exaggerated fears and his knee-jerk reactions.

BIB 1- Nothing much wrong with this line of argument in an article, IMO. It's the ones that make links to DV, or focus on the possibility of the cricket bat being used to crush her skull, or that publish unverified stories of pre-trial holiday romances, or that seek to ramp up the moral outrage that perish-the-thought pistorius dates to play football in prison etc that are the problem

BIB2- your label. It's too simple to say you are either a Reeva supporter or a Pistorius supporter. Surely it's about truth and justice for the sake of all involved parties?

BIB 3- how can that cognitive leap be made from believing that the verdict /sentence was right and from accepting and exploring other equally viable explanations than the more popular murderer-narrative, to not seeing the terrible death of Reeva steenkamp as the central tragedy? I would have thought that goes without saying. But the tragedy of her untimely death and the circumstances of it don't make him more or less guilty of murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie