Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #63 ~ the appeal~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang on...unless I missed a lot, Oscar Pistorius isn't 'accused'; he's a found-guilty, bona fida killer? So his guilt as far as advocates, professional or not, are concerned, is not an issue here, surely?

And with a legally convincted killer, we obviously have a legally certified victim - Reeva. So there is only one side now. Hers.

You're not suggesting people here should be 'taking sides' into account for a convicted killer here on WS, surely?

Don`t know if this helps zwiebel but over recent weeks the debate has revolved around whether OP knowingly shot Reeva Steenkamp (in which case it was murder) or if he was in fact guilty of CH as he acted under a genuine misapprehension. It is a fair enough debate, since the latter is what the court found. And to be fair on those I have disagreed (quite often vehemently) with, there has been no disrespect shown to Reeva Steenkamp IMO. I do however feel that there is an element of trust in and of OP which I cannot share at all, but that has kept the debate lively.

No. I don't know why you would think that, as that isn't the system in France either. A convicted killer is a convicted killer until and unless that conviction is overturned.

............can the convicted killer stand up please ..........

Hang on...unless I missed a lot, Oscar Pistorius isn't 'accused'; he's a found-guilty, bona fida killer? So his guilt as far as advocates, professional or not, are concerned, is not an issue here, surely?

And with a legally convincted killer, we obviously have a legally certified victim - Reeva. So there is only one side now. Hers.

You're not suggesting people here should be 'taking sides' into account for a convicted killer here on WS, surely?

As far as I can see, everyone is just discussing the case. No one on here is acting as a victim advocate. I don't understand your question as it doesn't make sense. Sorry.

BIB: He never claimed he didn't kill her. I don't really understand why this sort of comment is made - it seems to be some kind of emotive appeal to condemn him as a murderer, because really, when do we ever use the word 'killer' to refer to anyone who didn't kill someone in a deliberate attack?

It ought to be a general discussion which maintains respect for everyone involved imo. It's easy - stick to the evidence and miss out all the gossip and information from dodgy sources.
Sorry. Some of us don't see why a convicted killer is worthy of the same respect as his victim. You'll have a hard time convincing people on here that OP deserves respect... seeing as he killed someone.

As far as I can see, everyone is just discussing the case. No one on here is acting as a victim advocate. I don't understand your question as it doesn't make sense. Sorry.

BIB: He never claimed he didn't kill her. I don't really understand why this sort of comment is made - it seems to be some kind of emotive appeal to condemn him as a murderer, because really, when do we ever use the word 'killer' to refer to anyone who didn't kill someone in a deliberate attack?

Definition of Killer in the Oxford Dictionary is a person or thing that has killed. Simple as that.

Hey guys! :seeya: I haven't been on here in forever. Hope everyone is doing well.

What a week... first we get the appeal papers and then Oscar gets denied his release. Kinda feels like the tides might be turning for Oscar... although, I'll hold off on fully committing to that statement until we see what happens with the appeal.

The arguments in the State's heads seem pretty darn solid to me. If they get denied, I'll be very curious to know why.

As I understand it OP's conviction is being appealed by the state in order to have his charge and sentence upgraded. I do not see any argument that OP did not kill, did not unjustly take Reeva's life, there is no way that the court is going to throw out his culpable homicide conviction. Even Masipa wouldn't let him get away with it, and based on her handling of the facts of the case that is very telling. He's so far gotten off easy, he did not file an appeal the state did. Because if he had filed an appeal he risked a new conviction for the higher charge of murder. There will be no new "trial" per se, just a review of the trial transcript and evidence and a judgement of whether or not Masipa interpreted the laws correctly; hint: she didn't .

Hey guys! :seeya: I haven't been on here in forever. Hope everyone is doing well.

What a week... first we get the appeal papers and then Oscar gets denied his release. Kinda feels like the tides might be turning for Oscar... although, I'll hold off on fully committing to that statement until we see what happens with the appeal.

The arguments in the State's heads seem pretty darn solid to me. If they get denied, I'll be very curious to know why.

Hi Lisa, good to see you here and all the other "originals" too.

As I understand it OP's conviction is being appealed by the state in order to have his charge and sentence upgraded. I do not see any argument that OP did not kill, did not unjustly take Reeva's life, there is no way that the court is going to throw out his culpable homicide conviction. Even Masipa wouldn't let him get away with it, and based on her handling of the facts of the case that is very telling. He's so far gotten off easy, he did not file an appeal the state did. Because if he had filed an appeal he risked a new conviction for the higher charge of murder. There will be no new "trial" per se, just a review of the trial transcript and evidence and a judgement if how Masipa interpreted the law.
.......no one has the monopoly on knowing the future,anything could happen here........wait and see how it develops....

Sure but when is it ever used except to describe someone who have deliberately attacked the person they killed?

Hi GR,

Just curious, what piece(s) of evidence do you feel support Oscar's version, that he thought Reeva was an intruder?

.....i would be grateful to have people who don't think like me....lip service to a mirror is not much fun ............that's what makes it tick..

Have i ever given any indication that I want everyone to think like me regarding this case? Would be a pointless discussion board if we all felt alike. But that was not the point I was making - it was that there is a majority opinion on here from a variety of people who all have their own ways of expressing themselves that OP is guilty of murder. If some of those people don't think they should respect him or couch their every comment in a respectful manner towards him, that is fair enough. I personally do not respect him in the least. That's my right and it is yours to think whatever you wish of him.

Hi Lisa, good to see you here and all the other "originals" too.

I know, it's great to see everyone :) Can you imagine the fit OP must have had when he heard the news today. I definitely think they should leave him in there until the appeal. It seems crazy to me to do it before. It might seem far-fetched, but ya know... if he and his team think that appeal is pretty solid... who's to say he won't make a run for it.

.....changed my mind about him......? Please explain .....

Well not that long ago you were saying he was a liar and, and I quote `let's just hope the appeal will sort this out and see him go down for a nice long stretch....'

So is that what you still think?

Well not that long ago you were saying he was a liar and, and I quote `let's just hope the appeal will sort this out and see him go down for a nice long stretch....'

So is that what you still think?

...........he killed her recklessly, that's my position, i've made that clear i'm not going to go through it all again..........i don't believe he intended to murder her i've also explained that, he knew she was in the toilet, he should of known about the effect of the bouncing bullets........he took the life of a human being, without reason, without thinking and without justification, he has to be made responsible for what he's done.........i think he deserves the maximum for what he did......

...........he killed her recklessly, that's my position, i've made that clear i'm not going to go through it all again..........i don't believe he intended to murder her i've also explained that, he knew she was in the toilet, he should of known about the effect of the bouncing bullets........he took the life of a human being, without reason, without thinking and without justification, he has to be made responsible for what he's done.........i think he deserves the maximum for what he did......

That is OK - I have read it all and don`t need or want you to go through it all again. So you think 15 years, which is the max for CH, is what he should get then? Me too, but for DE, not CH.

Hi GR,

Just curious, what piece(s) of evidence do you feel support Oscar's version, that he thought Reeva was an intruder?

I've seen your blog so I know we'll disagree. I was impressed with the amount of work that went into it and it was very useful as a resource.

That is OK - I have read it all and don`t need or want you to go through it all again. So you think 15 years, which is the max for CH, is what he should get then? Me too, but for DE, not CH.

.......i don't want to think about how long because i only know too well that i am influenced by my opinion of him as a person and i am not objective enough .....

Thread under review. Temp closing for clean up.

:hand:

:sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members