Playing DA

CASuzk

Reaction score
So, you're the district attorney. The sheriff's detectives have come to you with the evidence so far.
How do you proceed? You see Casey, silent and stoic, she hasn't cracked but you have evidence that:

She is habitual liar
Her child's body was in her trunk
Her's child's body was in the yard
The child was never left with a babysitter by the name of ZG either on the 9th of June or the 16th.

You know that she made many phone calls on the 16th but didn't connect with her family. Maybe you've surmised that on that day, she made an error that cost her the life of the her child and she was trying to get help. You think that she was afraid that she'd be blamed and so she disposed of the body.

But now that time has gone by, people are calling for a resolution, she's cost the county hundreds of man hours and thousands of dollars. You know that you can bring this case to trial without a body and given the fact that you are not going to get a confession out of Miss A, how do you build the best case?

I would start by tossing out the notion at it was a accident and build a case for pre-meditated murder.
I would start to think that Casey wasn't trying to get help on the 16th, and that after killing her child and dumping her body, she was trying to tell a dramatic story about how she turned her back and her child was kidnapped. When she wasn't able to do that, she had to take her time and makeup another story, a flawed story about a job and a babysitter.

So to make that case, I would go back to each and everyone of her associates. I would tell them that they are not suspects but since I have phone records and photographs of them enjoying illicit drugs, I may need to investigate them a bit more concerning Caylee's possible death. I want them to tell me everything they know about the Casey who could kill her own child. I would want them to despise Casey enough for almost ruining their lives, that everything they would say in court substantiates the image of Casey as a person who could murder and who wanted her child dead.

Once I had that done, I'd go back to Casey and offer her one more chance to recover the body and try to prove that Caylee's death was an accident and that Casey is just an immature idiot, not a cold blooded baby murderer.

Fess up Casey, this will come to trial. Murder one or manslaughter?

I'd start to build the case and tell LE to keep digging up information!

Well, the science is going to come down to a battle of the experts. I would dig up every bit of dirt on their experts as I possibly could. Think, Alan Jackson going after the great, Henry Lee. Or, Park Dietz in the Andrea Yates escapade. Call it exactly what it was, a freakin lie and not a stupid mistake as he claims. This IMO, is imperative. We already know whoever the defense gets will be nothing more than a hired gun. So, use past cases to attack their credibility and expose them for the blood suckers that they are. Baden? If the fact that he's testified that Lana Clarkson walked after an internal decapitation isn't used againt him in subsequent trials, IMO, it would be a travesty of justice. All these hired guns have nasty little secrets. Use it!

Second, half if not three quarters of the battle is making jurors hate the accussed. A good DA could make any jury in this country hate any of us if he/she selectively went thru our lives picking out only the worst. Casey Anthony though? No DA will have to dig too far. Casey's given them all the ammunintion that they'd ever need to accomplish this goal. This jury is automatically going to hate her.

Use the searches of chloroform and the chloroform in the vehicle to show intent if you can (we don't know what those searched consisted of yet). Add that Casey wanted a single life and point out how Caylee foiled her plans on many occassions (text messages prove this already). Use any other information that might show intent. IF Casey was to go with the accidental death routine, let her take the stand (if she dares) to use that as part of her defense. My guess is, that will NEVER happen.

Stress to jurors that the state is only obligated to show a homocide occurred and the accussed is guilty of that homocide. Don't let jurors take the easy route of doubt simply because the state can't show the cause or manner of death. The hair, and decomposition along with the cadavers alerting are proof that Caylee is no longer with us.

Stress that even though LE knew Caylee was deceased, LE followed every lead and not one in over what, 5000, turned up anything.

Seek death. This is imprerative too. Once a jury finds Casey guilty (and they will), give her one last opportunity to lead them to a body in exchange for stopping jurors from opting for death.

I'm sure I could think of lots more, but I'll spare you all.

I would try to get her back in jail, no bond status. Mix her up a little bit with general to scare the crap out her. Let her see the rest of her life is going to be like this. I would throw the book at her, every single thing I could think of, make it a DP case. Squeezing friends and family for everything. Show Casey pictures of dead, rotting children next to all the pictures of her partying. Tell her they are going to be blown up and shown in court, side by side. I might even use the same tatic with family. I know it's sick to use photos like that but I think she is sick and you have to go down to their level. I would OUT LIE THE LIAR in any way I could while she is in jail. :behindbar

I would try to get her back in jail, no bond status. Mix her up a little bit with general to scare the crap out her. Let her see the rest of her life is going to be like this. I would throw the book at her, every single thing I could think of, make it a DP case. Squeezing friends and family for everything. Show Casey pictures of dead, rotting children next to all the pictures of her partying. Tell her they are going to be blown up and shown in court, side by side. I might even use the same tatic with family. I know it's sick to use photos like that but I think she is sick and you have to go down to their level. I would OUT LIE THE LIAR in any way I could while she is in jail. :behindbar[/QUOTE

Sounds good to me, she needs a SLAP of reality!!:clap:

]I would try to get her back in jail, no bond status. Mix her up a little bit with general to scare the crap out her[/B]. Let her see the rest of her life is going to be like this. I would throw the book at her, every single thing I could think of, make it a DP case. Squeezing friends and family for everything. Show Casey pictures of dead, rotting children next to all the pictures of her partying. Tell her they are going to be blown up and shown in court, side by side. I might even use the same tatic with family. I know it's sick to use photos like that but I think she is sick and you have to go down to their level. I would OUT LIE THE LIAR in any way I could while she is in jail. :behindbar

Sounds like a plan to me.............I would take it to the Grand Jury and get tons of charges added for everything I could dig up in the law books. I would even charge her with vagrancy and having no means of support. LOL

I'm not ready to build the case yet. Without the body, I have no cause of death.

Without some clue to cause of death, the range of possibilities spans from an understandable accident and a scared young mother, all the way to the worst gruesome torture and murder imaginable.

In turn, this gives me quite a range of charges to choose from. Should I err on the side of leniency for a more sure win and go for involuntary manslaughter? Should I risk a callous murderer going free on a murder one?

At this point, I don't like the odds, I don't like my choices, Casey's not going anywhere, so I'm going to continue to demand the body. I've got time.

I would have to tell the investigators to hand me an iron clad case and make certain they have covered every inch of ground in this one, if we are to proceed without a body. I would wait as near to the Neglect trial as we could while they continued searching before going ahead with an arrest so we could drop it and go for Murder 1.

Taking on this case with no body only means that my forensic evidence is unquestionable and my experts are certain of their findings. I would trust that LE has done their job and given me enough to put her away. I do not need a cause or even a time of death. I need to show that the defendant placed herself with the child before the child turned up missing and that she was fully aware of the decomposition in her vehicle. I need to connect the defendant with the child near the time of her death. I would have a motive, an opportunity, and a silent witness in the decomposition which is Caylee.

(Then I would take a look at other people for charges for possible obstruction, lying to investigators, concealing evidence, and the like.)

So, you're the district attorney. The sheriff's detectives have come to you with the evidence so far.
How do you proceed? You see Casey, silent and stoic, she hasn't cracked but you have evidence that:

She is habitual liar
Her child's body was in her trunk
Her's child's body was in the yard
The child was never left with a babysitter by the name of ZG either on the 9th of June or the 16th.

You know that she made many phone calls on the 16th but didn't connect with her family. Maybe you've surmised that on that day, she made an error that cost her the life of the her child and she was trying to get help. You think that she was afraid that she'd be blamed and so she disposed of the body.

But now that time has gone by, people are calling for a resolution, she's cost the county hundreds of man hours and thousands of dollars. You know that you can bring this case to trial without a body and given the fact that you are not going to get a confession out of Miss A, how do you build the best case?

I would start by tossing out the notion at it was a accident and build a case for pre-meditated murder.
I would start to think that Casey wasn't trying to get help on the 16th, and that after killing her child and dumping her body, she was trying to tell a dramatic story about how she turned her back and her child was kidnapped. When she wasn't able to do that, she had to take her time and makeup another story, a flawed story about a job and a babysitter.

So to make that case, I would go back to each and everyone of her associates. I would tell them that they are not suspects but since I have phone records and photographs of them enjoying illicit drugs, I may need to investigate them a bit more concerning Caylee's possible death. I want them to tell me everything they know about the Casey who could kill her own child. I would want them to despise Casey enough for almost ruining their lives, that everything they would say in court substantiates the image of Casey as a person who could murder and who wanted her child dead.

Once I had that done, I'd go back to Casey and offer her one more chance to recover the body and try to prove that Caylee's death was an accident and that Casey is just an immature idiot, not a cold blooded baby murderer.

Fess up Casey, this will come to trial. Murder one or manslaughter?

I agree with most of your post, but I don't think it would be a good idea for LE to issue veiled threats to their own potential witnesses. A good defense attorney would use that to discredit their testimony at the very least, and could possibly even get the testimony thrown out completely. It's not good if it looks like LE coerced or threatened witnesses.

Well, the science is going to come down to a battle of the experts. I would dig up every bit of dirt on their experts as I possibly could. Think, Alan Jackson going after the great, Henry Lee. Or, Park Dietz in the Andrea Yates escapade. Call it exactly what it was, a freakin lie and not a stupid mistake as he claims. This IMO, is imperative. We already know whoever the defense gets will be nothing more than a hired gun. So, use past cases to attack their credibility and expose them for the blood suckers that they are. Baden? If the fact that he's testified that Lana Clarkson walked after an internal decapitation isn't used againt him in subsequent trials, IMO, it would be a travesty of justice. All these hired guns have nasty little secrets. Use it!

Second, half if not three quarters of the battle is making jurors hate the accussed. A good DA could make any jury in this country hate any of us if he/she selectively went thru our lives picking out only the worst. Casey Anthony though? No DA will have to dig too far. Casey's given them all the ammunintion that they'd ever need to accomplish this goal. This jury is automatically going to hate her.

Use the searches of chloroform and the chloroform in the vehicle to show intent if you can (we don't know what those searched consisted of yet). Add that Casey wanted a single life and point out how Caylee foiled her plans on many occassions (text messages prove this already). Use any other information that might show intent. IF Casey was to go with the accidental death routine, let her take the stand (if she dares) to use that as part of her defense. My guess is, that will NEVER happen.

Stress to jurors that the state is only obligated to show a homocide occurred and the accussed is guilty of that homocide. Don't let jurors take the easy route of doubt simply because the state can't show the cause or manner of death. The hair, and decomposition along with the cadavers alerting are proof that Caylee is no longer with us.

Stress that even though LE knew Caylee was deceased, LE followed every lead and not one in over what, 5000, turned up anything.

Seek death. This is imprerative too. Once a jury finds Casey guilty (and they will), give her one last opportunity to lead them to a body in exchange for stopping jurors from opting for death.

I'm sure I could think of lots more, but I'll spare you all.

Wow!

....yeah, me too!

If I were the DA, I would trust my very seasoned, very experienced LE to investigate until there was nothing left to uncover, unearth, or unravel. I would avoid too much dealing with witnesses till actually preparing the case for trial; Even Baez is going to know to ask the witness on the stand if they were rehearsed, told what to say, pressured to think a certain way, strong-armed, yada yada yada.

But, once the charges were coming down, the murder indictment, which I am happy they took their time fashioning, I would flip the coin and replace the authority of LE, and my deference to LE, with my own "calling the shots."

They have final say on the street; I have it in the Courthouse. It is a nicely oiled machine. That might sound harsh but it is the only way to maintain order in both places. The type of order which leads to victory and always--mutual respect.
Too many cooks in either arena will always create a catastrophe. jmho

Also, as the DA, I would need an entire new wardrobe for tv spots and a new Coach briefcase. :wink: What the he!!, might as well get the spa treatment too.

I agree with most of your post, but I don't think it would be a good idea for LE to issue veiled threats to their own potential witnesses. A good defense attorney would use that to discredit their testimony at the very least, and could possibly even get the testimony thrown out completely. It's not good if it looks like LE coerced or threatened witnesses.

Nah, not threaten, just remind them that their lifestyles came under scrutiny because Casey messed up. Young people are often not comfortable with "squealing". They need to be reminded that they can help the case by telling everything they know about Casey and Caylee.

If I were the DA, I would trust my very seasoned, very experienced LE to investigate until there was nothing left to uncover, unearth, or unravel. I would avoid too much dealing with witnesses till actually preparing the case for trial; Even Baez is going to know to ask the witness on the stand if they were rehearsed, told what to say, pressured to think a certain way, strong-armed, yada yada yada.

But, once the charges were coming down, the murder indictment, which I am happy they took their time fashioning, I would flip the coin and replace the authority of LE, and my deference to LE, with my own "calling the shots."

They have final say on the street; I have it in the Courthouse. It is a nicely oiled machine. That might sound harsh but it is the only way to maintain order in both places. The type of order which leads to victory and always--mutual respect.
Too many cooks in either arena will always create a catastrophe. jmho

Also, as the DA, I would need an entire new wardrobe for tv spots and a new Coach briefcase. :wink: What the he!!, might as well get the spa treatment too.

LOL and nice long vacation when it's all over.

I think Baez is way out of his element. I'm not sure he'll stay the cource.

Gosh, I didn't realize how fun it is to play DA! I wanna play Warden next! hehehe

How do you proceed? You see Casey, silent and stoic, she hasn't cracked but you have evidence that ...

...Fess up Casey, this will come to trial. Murder one or manslaughter?

Add in FBI AND the costs to TES and other child-finding agencies!:furious:

Bump into Monday morning.

Thanks, MH! I have my own!
2.gif

Wouldn't it be great to see a DA with a whip that he/she cracked towards the defense table every time one of Casey's or CA's lies were uncovered? As in..."*SNAP* Gotcha again!".

At this stage, I would make absolutely sure that the neglect charges could in no way cause double jeopardy when I'm ready for murder or manslaughter charges. If at all in doubt, I would drop the neglect charges and go with the fraud/theft charges only.

Once I was satisfied with the evidence, and the charge decided and filed, I would retain the best forensic expert witnesses that the state could afford. I would research everything there is to know about JB's MO in court - his preferred methods of attacking expert witnesses, outcry witnesses, etc. (The JB part shouldn't take too long!):)

Next, be prepared with a good rebuttal for the "dirty laundry" side of all my witnesses. I would especially be ready to prove that none of KC's LEO "boyfriends" ever had any access to this investigation, even though I might not call them. Also making sure that all statements to be used in court stood up to any Miranda attacks from the defence.

Then I would put my case together, and decide the personalities I would want for jurors.

I would spend a great deal of time on my examination and cross of CA, specifically to produce a repeat of her own lies - not KC's. I believe the judge can charge with perjury during a trial but, if not, I would petition immediately afterwards. Although I expected to have great sympathy for CA, I've found her to be a disgrace to grandmothers everywhere, and I feel strongly that she should at least be judicially reprimanded for her deliberate deceit. I truly believe that she has hampered every attempt at finding poor Caylee, both with direct lies and smoke screens.

Oh, and this too, of course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back