Southwest States - AZ, CA, CO, NM, OK, TX, AR, LA, UT, NV - Weather Discussion

I couldn't believe that I had heard it right on CNN and asked my husband how Oklahoma could have a tropical storm.

OKLAHOMA CITY – A large, violent tornado ripped through a southern Oklahoma town late Tuesday evening, killing four people and injuring up to 50, authorities said. Severe weather also caused damage and power outages in metro Oklahoma City and western Texas.

At least four people were killed and between 20 and 50 were injured by the tornado in Lone Grove, the state Department of Emergency Management said. The town of about 4,600 people is about 100 miles south of Oklahoma City.

Damage in the town was extensive and ambulances and other first responders from communities near Lone Grove were heading there, said Amber Wilson, the emergency management director for nearby Ardmore.
"Basically, all we have, it is pretty bad," said Chester Agan, assistant emergency manager for Carter County.

The National Weather Service said the tornado that hit Lone Grove was large and violent. At least two other twisters were confirmed, including one that damaged buildings in Oklahoma City and the northern suburb of Edmond.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090211/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather

It was a rough evening around Oklahoma. OKC saw a lot of damage as did Edmond. Other small towns saw minimal damage, but the hardest hit was Lone Grove. The reports I am getting from OKC are a couple of F-2s or possibly F-3s. I haven't heard about the one that hit Lone Grove yet. :( They were hit hard and the loss of life is so sad. The death toll is up to 8 now and they are still searching.

I do know in OKC, there were roofs torn off several houses and an apartment complex. The wall of Chuckie Cheese was blown out along with windows of surrounding businesses. It snapped electric poles and ripped off signs in various areas. I haven't heard of any injuries in OKC or Edmond. Thank Goodness.

My sis lives in Edmond. I called last night and fortunately the tornado there was about a mile from them. A few years ago when they lost part of their roof, thankfully both she and my bil were at work.

Prayers for all those effected. Tornados have no mercy and are scary.:(

fran

I feel for everyone up in OK that lost loved ones last night. That was one heck of a storm line. It was from up in OK all the way down past south of us (central TX). We had structural damage down here, flipped 18 wheelers, but no deaths. The winds did not die down until very early this morning. We had 80 MPH gusts, I would say that the winds were over 60 MPH sustained (going by my previous experiences here in CenTX).

Hopefully the people up in OK can begin to recover and I send prayers to those who lost their loved ones, from my heart to heaven.

I feel for everyone up in OK that lost loved ones last night. That was one heck of a storm line. It was from up in OK all the way down past south of us (central TX). We had structural damage down here, flipped 18 wheelers, but no deaths. The winds did not die down until very early this morning. We had 80 MPH gusts, I would say that the winds were over 60 MPH sustained (going by my previous experiences here in CenTX).

Hopefully the people up in OK can begin to recover and I send prayers to those who lost their loved ones, from my heart to heaven.
I'm in your area too and tornadoes scare the heck out of me. I'm originally from the Valley, where there are hardly ever any tornadoes.

The death toll is now up to 8, according to the AP. :(

The killer tornado SOUNDS like an F4, based on my knowledge as a storm spotter, but I don't think it's been confirmed. Maybe a strong F3.

Wow. I'm used to tornado warnings where I live now, but in So Cal???
Not many basements, I wouldn't think.

Residents of many California cities and counties are now bracing for possible inclement weather as Tornado warnings in Southern California are being announced by weather and news stations. A powerful storm seen earlier moving across Los Angeles has brought the possible threat of tornadoes in Orange County and San Diego county.

According to news reports on the Orange County Tornado, wind guests have been reported as exceeding 90 miles per hour in Southern California as these powerful thunderstorms continued. They are reporting that the storm will move into the Southwest overnight bringing areas of Airzona, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico valley rain and mountain snow.

They are also reporting a new storm will arrive in California on Wednesday which could be even stronger. This storm will arrive late on Wednesday into Thursday. There's the potential for heavy rainfall and wind damage across many areas due to the severe storms.
http://www./viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978003614

As I was watching Judge Judy today we got the "News Flash" across the TV about a tornado warning near Long Beach, then a severe thunderstorm heading our way to The Inland Empire which covers Riverside and the San Bernardino areas. I freaked because I live in a Mobile home and I could just see me flying over the rainbow and landing on a witch in the magical land of Oz! And this was just storm #2..The biggest storm (#3) is yet to come!!

I know Tornados can happen anywhere but I have never heard of them happening in Southern California. I just had to do a double take to see if they were a watch or warning, yep warning. I hope everyone is safe!

As I was watching Judge Judy today we got the "News Flash" across the TV about a tornado warning near Long Beach, then a severe thunderstorm heading our way to The Inland Empire which covers Riverside and the San Bernardino areas. I freaked because I live in a Mobile home and I could just see me flying over the rainbow and landing on a witch in the magical land of Oz! And this was just storm #2..The biggest storm (#3) is yet to come!!

My husband is on a Navy ship in San Diego. I wonder what they do if a tornado is headed towards them. Haven't heard from him tonight, which is unusual, but not unheard of. When I talked to him yesterday, I could barely hear him because of the wind.

ETA Husband just called. It wasn't even raining at the time.

Omigosh, the ONE day I didn't get to catch JJ! That said, unlikely we would have received the same alert up here near Santa Barbara, altho we have persistent warnings for coastal and flash floods, high surf, and wind.

At least here, this series of storms seems to be less than originally predicted in terms of rain force and longevity...we'll see what tomorrow brings when #3 is due to arrive. Hoping it isn't too much, for the burn areas especially.

I'll be holding all good thoughts for you, Dolly, as well as for all my neighbors to the southeast. Should you happen to fly-over our home on your magical ride, we'll have the landing pad at the ready! <g> TC!

I know Tornados can happen anywhere but I have never heard of them happening in Southern California. I just had to do a double take to see if they were a watch or warning, yep warning. I hope everyone is safe!

That's what gets me about the media out here...We should have had a Tornado watch because the conditions were ripe for a tornado and then about an hour later they finally had one touch down. That's when they should have issued the warning! I've lived in Kansas and Oklahoma and at least I learned that from my scary moments in the basements and underneath the stairs!! They had about 6 inches of water on a busy street and there was some fool riding in a canoe with his short little paddles :loser:

Up North here we had quite the thunder and lightening today and it was close. It was quite dramatic for everyone here, but I used to live in TN, so this was nothing, but I do HATE RAIN!!! That's why I sucked it up and moved BACK to CA. They say the high cost of living here is paying for the nice weather and when the weather is yucky like this, I want MY MONEY BACK!!!!

To some, rain is a refreshing break; it is a welcome cleansing. To me it means car accidents and mold. Glass half empty when it comes to rain.

NOT looking forward to tomorrow's storm - have a lot of driving to do.

They touched down in my area and there have been water spouts in the ocean.

The rain is terrible and the mother of all storms is coming through tomorrow.

Tornado rips through Costa Mesa neighborhood
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=7228380

COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- Tornado warnings were out for parts of Orange County this afternoon, and at least two funnel clouds came ashore, causing damage. One was in Costa Mesa.
Many heard the warnings that a tornado might be heading their direction, but a lot of them dismissed it thinking that tornados don't happen in California. This may not be Kansas or Oklahoma, but around 1 p.m., folks in Costa Mesa got a chance to feel what it is like to live in tornado alley

:eek: I've never heard of such a thing and I lived all over California for 39 years! They said we are to expect high winds tonight. <skeery>

I have several family members in southern California. There's kind of a running family joke, where us mid-westerners always say "I just don't know how you can live with the earthquakes," and they respond, "I just don't know how you can live with the tornadoes!" Very weird.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back