10 year old boy thrown from new 3 story water slide in California

gregjrichards

Reaction score
"A 10-year-old boy was thrown from a waterslide on opening day of a $43million water park in California.

'The Wave' water park opened in Dublin, California, Saturday but within 90 minutes, the Emerald Plunge was closed.
The 10-year-old boy was flung off the track of the three-story slide onto concrete, just after noon, according to East Bay Times.

The boy then skidded several feet on the concrete, giving him scratches on his back.

He was not seriously injured and quickly stood up, but one witness said he was visibly shaken.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wn-three-story-water-slide.html#ixzz4iMRTvp3e

Thank goodness this young man survived this could easily have been another tragedy like schlitterbhan.

Seriously? We have the best technological advances ever, yet people can't design a water slide so it doesn't kill someone? How hard can it be??

Wow, these slides used to empty into pools of water. Wtf is this some kind of money saving modification? First the design flaw that allowed him to fly out, then, wow they are lucky it wasn't his head that scraped for several feet on the concrete. Water would have been much better. I hate these shatty water parks. I really do.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Wow - just saw that video clip here the boy may have survived but that is still not good. What is up with all these water rides.

People should be able to assume that a slide intended to be used by children is safe for the use for which it is intended.

"A 10-year-old boy was thrown from a waterslide on opening day of a $43million water park in California.

'The Wave' water park opened in Dublin, California, Saturday but within 90 minutes, the Emerald Plunge was closed.
The 10-year-old boy was flung off the track of the three-story slide onto concrete, just after noon, according to East Bay Times.

The boy then skidded several feet on the concrete, giving him scratches on his back.

He was not seriously injured and quickly stood up, but one witness said he was visibly shaken.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wn-three-story-water-slide.html#ixzz4iMRTvp3e

Thank goodness this young man survived this could easily have been another tragedy like schlitterbhan.

Wow. What a great design--nothing could go wrong there.

{sarcasm off}

What in the world were the "engineers" thinking? Never mind, they were apparently thinking cheap. How do these places get insurance?

Thankfully he wasn't seriously injured, but the next victim may not be as lucky.

moo

Wow, these slides used to empty into pools of water. Wtf is this some kind of money saving modification? First the design flaw that allowed him to fly out, then, wow they are lucky it wasn't his head that scraped for several feet on the concrete. Water would have been much better. I hate these shatty water parks. I really do.

Why can't they at least have padding on the sides?

<modsnip>

There are all sorts of safety regulations, certifications and state codes amusement parks have to abide by. So it is not an unreasonable assumption that your child won't fly off and get injured or slide down and have his head cut off. If that was a ridiculous assumption and if we assume the risk by riding the rides, then lawsuits would be dismissed summarily. They aren't. Because safety protocols are mandatory.
<modsnip>

poor kid - that must've been terrifying for him

Preach, gitana.

You can't just develop and install a product with possible safety issues. It is the product's liability if someone using the slide correctly is thrown off because of design flaws, or whatnot. It is clear from the video that the child was using the slide as intended.

Product liability, John Paul.... educate yourself.

Why can't they at least have padding on the sides?
Do you see the end of the ride? You would think that it would at least be rubber if not water on either side. Ugh. That kid probably has whiplash and road rash.

Am I reading correctly - this newly opened $43,000,000 park is CITY OWNED. $43 mil!?!??!?!!?rgbn ng

" The 48-foot waterslide tower is photographed at The Wave, the City of Dublin’s new water park, in Dublin, Calif., on Friday, May 19, 2017. Three of the six slides remained closed on Sunday, May 28, 2017 as park officials assessed their safety after a child was thrown off the “Emerald Plunge” slide the day before."

CITY-OPERATED? Est'd cost to run for first year? $2.5 ml!?!??!?!!
"Bay Area residents eagerly anticipated the opening of the The Wave, which is located by Dublin’s Emerald Glen Park. The facility also has three pools, a water playground and a 2,000-seat outdoor performing arts center. It is expected to employ nearly 200 seasonal employees and cost about $2.5 million to operate in its first year."

IMO the regulations need to be more strict. In August 2016 a 10 year old boy died on the worlds tallest water slide in Kansas. The young boys parents received a $14 million dollar settlement this month. There's not enough money in the world to compensate for the death of a child. It's heartbreaking to hear about such awful tragedies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verrückt_(water_slide)

There are all sorts of safety regulations, certifications and state codes amusement parks have to abide by. So it is not an unreasonable assumption that your child won't fly off and get injured or slide down and have his head cut off. If that was a ridiculous assumption and if we assume the risk by riding the rides, then lawsuits would be dismissed summarily. They aren't. Because safety protocols are mandatory.

Gitana, if you have time, go read the thread on the 10 year old killed at Schlitterbahn - Caleb Schwab. There's a lot of info in there about the "safety regulations" of these parks and who is in charge of inspecting them. Many are not monitored in any real way at all. It's astonishing.

Gitana, if you have time, go read the thread on the 10 year old killed at Schlitterbahn - Caleb Schwab. There's a lot of info in there about the "safety regulations" of these parks and who is in charge of inspecting them. Many are not monitored in any real way at all. It's astonishing.

Carnivals are the worst from what I have read, when it comes to ride safety and inspection.

The IAAPA has info on amusement park ride safety - that being said, there is just no way I would ever get onto a water slide or any other water ride. Water has a force all its own I am not even sure why it would be combined with something it can be potentially incompatible with.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back