Southeast States - AL, AR, LA, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN - Weather Discussion

Stay Albany-Strong down your way, oceanblues. I still have not seen a single news report up here in Michigan about the devastation of your area. Your updates are appreciated.

Jax... Will you post if the little boy is found, please? My prayers for him to be found soon, and hopefully alive. So sad.

That news item about the baby wrapped in blankets and placed in a dryer is so heartbreaking :( :(

It was not too bad where live in Sarasota and I am so surprised we did not lose power like we normally do - what is dangerous about this area is struck-lightning deaths like this one and it is pretty scary to just see lightning hit so close to the ground.

The tornado did some damage in Bradenton just north of Sarasota - tore a roof off and the Venice Fishing Pier and Jetty were closed due to high winds and waves. My husband and I live about two miles from the water.

And to think for years I would have nightmares (real nightmares as in when asleep) about being in a building and watching the water rise higher and higher until it consumed the building.

Sigh.

"Original reports said there was a search for a missing 4-year-old, Dougherty County Police Captain Thomas Jackson later told WALB that parents reported a missing 2-year-old boy.

Officials said that parents reported their son missing at 9:30 p.m. on Monday and told them they had not seen him since the storm hit their home in the Piney Woods Mobile Home Park on Sylvester Road.

DCP said that officers searched all night and were still searching through thick woods and storm damaged areas on Monday.

Officials said that there is still no sign of the 2-year-old and they will end their search at 5 p.m. but will continue to treat the case as a missing person.."
http://www.walb.com/story/34319955/...4-year-old-child-after-storms-in-dougherty-co

My sister is in Alpharetta, GA does anyone know if it's ok there??

I can safely say I think your sister is okay. The upper part of the state did get wind and a lot of rain but I have not heard of any tornadoes that has harmed lives or property. Our daughter, son-in-law, and our two grandsons live in Dallas, Georgia and we were checking with them regularly yesterday and she said the same thing.............lots of rain and windy but no one was harmed.

I haven't found anything specific other than they had very heavy (torrential) rains in Alpharetta. It is a couple hours from Augusta where my friend lives, and she said they just had heavy rain there. But ... sadly, an 83 yr. old woman tried to take shelter in a drain pipe outside her home in Alpharetta and was swept away. :tears: http://www.henryherald.com/news/sto...cle_b83c0665-dceb-5c2d-99c3-8ad901fed00e.html

Miracles do happen. I remember many years ago when a tornado had touched down and a little infant was missing. It wasn't in my state iirc, but anyway they searched and searched for him for days and finally found him way up in a treetop and he was alive and only had a scratch on his forehead. He was found over a mile away from his home where the tornado had taken him.

I am praying for a miracle in this case. It would help the people in Albany to know the two year old little boy was found alive. We have already experienced one miracle when the little two month old was found safe swaddled in a blanket inside their parents' dryer but we sure could use another one to lighten our spirits here which has been shattered.

However I find the wording odd for some reason 'swept away.' There wasn't raging flood waters at that time of the tornado although we have experienced flooding in some areas since then but maybe they mean swept away by the high winds. The searchers have such a daunting task when searching for him with endless miles of debris and twisted broken trees everywhere.

I did read the responders found one 4 year old child alive inside of some kind of locker and he told them that a man put him in there who was dressed in all white. He didn't seem to know who but God bless the person who did this for this child.

IMO

Miracles do happen. I remember many years ago when a tornado had touched down and a little infant was missing. It wasn't in my state iirc, but anyway they searched and searched for him for days and finally found him way up in a treetop and he was alive and only had a scratch on his forehead. He was found over a mile away from his home where the tornado had taken him.

I am praying for a miracle in this case. It would help the people in Albany to know the two year old little boy was found alive. We have already experienced one miracle when the little two month old was found safe swaddled in a blanket inside their parents' dryer but we sure could use another one to lighten our spirits here which has been shattered.

However I find the wording odd for some reason 'swept away.' There wasn't raging flood waters at that time of the tornado although we have experienced flooding in some areas since then but maybe they mean swept away by the high winds. The searchers have such a daunting task when searching for him with endless miles of debris and twisted broken trees everywhere.

I did read the responders found one 4 year old child alive inside of some kind of locker and he told them that a man put him in there who was dressed in all white. He didn't seem to know who but God bless the person who did this for this child.

IMO
BBM DH reminded me of that very same incident today when we first heard the news. We are also praying for a similar situation.

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/c...ear-old-missing-after-albany-storms/392059209
Nothing new but search has gotten larger.

"Dougherty County Police Captain Thomas Jackson says the parents of Detrez Green reported him missing Sunday night after the storm hit their mobile home.

His mother, Adijah Rainey, told police he slipped away and went toward the kitchen of the home just as the storm hit. The kitchen was completely destroyed when a large oak tree fell through it. Rainey says she did not see the boy leave the home or see him being swept away.

Searchers went through the area of the home, including under the tree, and were not able to find the boy. Cadaver dogs and live search dogs were used to search the area in and around the home and have not come up with positive results in their search thus far."

ALBANY, Ga – Georgia’s insurance commissioner says $100 million in damages were wreaked on the state by this past weekend’s deadly storms that ripped through southwest Georgia.

Ralph Hudgens said Albany and Dougherty County suffered $40 million in damage.

“This is the worst damage I’ve seen in a long time,” Hudgens said on Tuesday afternoon. “There’s no other storm to which I can compare this damage.”

Hudgens said damage estimates are likely to go up.

“A lot of storm victims do not have insurance,” he said.

http://www.11alive.com/news/100-million-in-damage-wreaked-by-sw-georgia-storms/392167296

Well I spoke too soon - a tornado did roll through my oldest daughter's neighborhood the other day, toppling trees and leaving quite a mess. My granddaughter's school was also hit.

Unlike other areas however, there was only one reported death in Florida that I know of so I still count my family lucky.

Authorities are searching for a missing toddler in Dougherty County, Georgia.

States of emergency have been declared in Georgia and Mississippi.

Authorities said at least 15 deaths occurred in south Georgia alone.

One death from high winds has been reported in Florida.

https://weather.com/news/news/deadly-severe-storms-tornadoes-south-state-by-state-impacts

And poor little Detrez Green. :tears: They're still searching but it doesn't look good. Keeping my fingers crossed...

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/cr...lbany-toddler-missing-after-tornado/392060854

They still haven't found the little boy.

Teams are searching the entire home including under the tree that fell through the home.

“We are making really good efforts," said Lan Skalla, Dougherty County Search and Rescue Team Member. "We ran some time grid searches this morning. My understanding is that GSAR getting ready to start taking debris fields apart. We’re going to cut them up, pull them apart piece by piece to make sure we get a thorough search of this area.”

The dogs are still not picking up his scent anywhere in the mobile home park area.

http://wfxl.com/news/local/dougherty-county-officials-continue-search-for-missing-toddler

"Original reports said there was a search for a missing 4-year-old, Dougherty County Police Captain Thomas Jackson later told WALB that parents reported a missing 2-year-old boy.

Officials said that parents reported their son missing at 9:30 p.m. on Monday and told them they had not seen him since the storm hit their home in the Piney Woods Mobile Home Park on Sylvester Road.

DCP said that officers searched all night and were still searching through thick woods and storm damaged areas on Monday.

Officials said that there is still no sign of the 2-year-old and they will end their search at 5 p.m. but will continue to treat the case as a missing person.."
http://www.walb.com/story/34319955/...4-year-old-child-after-storms-in-dougherty-co

BBM

I don't know why but the BBM part of the statement still unnerves me for some strange reason. She reported him missing at 9:30 pm on Monday night when her son had been missing since 3:30pm on Sunday? 30 hours later? I know everything was chaotic at the time but instantly she had to know he was missing.

Wouldn't she be screaming to the first responders and police immediately that her little boy is missing when they first arrived shortly after the tornado had happened? Why wait 30 hours?

Maybe I am missing something important but if I couldn't find my little boy once the tornado had gone I would be screaming and crying hysterically to the first responder I came in contact with so they could start then helping me find him. But then if I knew we were going to get hit by a tornado he would have been with me and me hanging on tight to him in the safest area of our home.

Pay me no mind. My nerves are fried from what has happened to our communities. Maybe I am overthinking all of this.

I just pray they find him and soon. To even think about his little body laying out there in all of that twisted destruction breaks my heart.

The police had been to the trailer park with bullhorns shortly before the tornado touched down telling them to all get out and go to a safer area which most heeded. That certainly saved many lives. So wouldn't you think knowing a tornado was coming she would grab and hold on to her little son with all her might and not let him out of her sight? Yet she said the last time she saw him he was walking through the kitchen toward the backdoor.

We have great weather experts here at two different television stations and they did a masterful job of alerting everyone that danger was imminent and coming. They were on FB live continuously throughout the day and also on our local television channels so we did know the tornado was coming. That part saved lives too.

oceanblueeyes, I have also wondered about the time it took to notify authorities the little boy was missing. But I finally found this explanation (which may or may not be totally accurate, but is understandable)

Byrd said the family's power was out and they were unable to tell authorities the child was missing until they arrived at a relative's home on Sunday evening.
"Our teams have been working since Sunday to find the child," she said. "We have a massive search out there today."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/georgia-2-year-old-missing-after-storms-kill-20-across-n711446

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back