Casey trial evidence breaks legal ground

Reality Orlando

Verified Aquaculturalist
Reaction score
"Legal experts say the Casey Anthony trial could be the first time in Orlando that MySpace postings may be used to try and convict someone of capital murder.

Judge Belvin Perry ruled that the postings in question could be introduced during the trial, but prosecutors still have some hurdles to clear."

Interesting video as well on social media being used as evidence and a short segment on Judge Perry's search for an area to gather a jury.

http://www.wesh.com/caseyanthony/26864376/detail.html

"Legal experts say the Casey Anthony trial could be the first time in Orlando that MySpace postings may be used to try and convict someone of capital murder.

Judge Belvin Perry ruled that the postings in question could be introduced during the trial, but prosecutors still have some hurdles to clear."

Interesting video as well on social media being used as evidence and a short segment on Judge Perry's search for an area to gather a jury.

http://www.wesh.com/caseyanthony/26864376/detail.html

I think this will stick long-term in some (eventually) finely crafted legal fashion. Unibomber used a newspaper as an outlet for his manifesto, Lee Harvey Oswald passed around anti-Kennedy/commie propaganda fliers...I am guessing the manifesto was used in the Kaczynski case, and I know the fliers are made mention of in the Warren Commission report (though obviously never entered as evidence).
I know these two examples vary a bit from KC's, but they are all three alike in that a jury should be able to consider whether or not these publications indicate a state of mind. A jury should have known what Kaczynski put in writing, that Oswald was treasonous-if one can commit treason, they can commit murder, as they must not show reverence for the high punishment both crimes carry-
Where does the voluntary publication of one's thoughts then come back to violate that very person's rights? It cannot, unless it is legally privileged-which would be impossible when it is posted on MySpace. So, a judge should let a jury determine whether or not that publication is relevant to the crime. Of course, these publicatins cannot stand on their own-all three would have to be paired with other circumstantial evidence to carry any weight. Kacsynski's manifesto is strong, it does not take much more to convict him-But Oswald's propaganda doesn't convict him for me-it's the anti-government propaganda in addition to the fact that he killed a cop right after Kennedy was shot. For KC, the Diary is a healthy piece of evidence, healthy enough that a jury should decide its weight-but not strong enough without 31 days, ZFG stories, etc.

Forget the Myspace, JA's introducing Kathy Reich's Twitter page was groundbreaking to me.

I am not sure how ground breaking this really is. Social Media has been used in bullying cases. I can't think of the name of the young girl who committed suicide because of Myspace or Facebook comments - it had to do with someone starting a fake Myspace page? So this is not the first time it has been used. LE has used the social media as an investigative tool quite a bit. How many idiots have posted videos or pictures of themselves doing something illegal and been caught because of it? I just don't see why this is considered a big deal.

I think they said it was the first time it had been used in ORLANDO.

I am not sure how ground breaking this really is. Social Media has been used in bullying cases. I can't think of the name of the young girl who committed suicide because of Myspace or Facebook comments - it had to do with someone starting a fake Myspace page? So this is not the first time it has been used. LE has used the social media as an investigative tool quite a bit. How many idiots have posted videos or pictures of themselves doing something illegal and been caught because of it? I just don't see why this is considered a big deal.

I think they are saying this is the first time social media may be used in a Capital Case in Orlando. The Prince case is what you may be thinking of as far as the bullying.

we've used Facebook postings in Family Court here in RI...and they're admissable. They've been many a wandering spouse's downfall....

In 2 words- Craigslist Killer. It'll be admitted. Nothing unique about social media in 2011. Geesh LOL!

I think they said it was the first time it had been used in ORLANDO.

But doesn't the headline make it sound like it has global legal impact. Ahh WESH. Last week they ran a headline to the effect we were first learning about Grave wax in a SAO response to spoilage. In reality WESH themselves had reported grave wax in November 2009.

Problem is we're a more thoughtful audience than they normally write for (to) IMO. :)

It's not like the Myspace entry is the smoking gun either. Sheesh. It's a just a bit part of an entire truckload of evidence against her. They almost make it sound like she's going to get convicted on the Myspace entry alone. Good Lord. Overreacting much? It must be a slow news day.

But doesn't the headline make it sound like it has global legal impact. Ahh WESH. Last week they ran a headline to the effect we were first learning about Grave wax in a SAO response to spoilage. In reality WESH themselves had reported grave wax in November 2009.

Problem is we're a more thoughtful audience than they normally write for (to) IMO. :)

WHere is that response anyway? I would like to read it!!

In the exchanges, it appears Cindy Anthony is the one frenetic to see her granddaughter.
"Everyone lies, everyone dies," Casey responded.
"There are some issues of proof with this," said Jeff Deen, who supervises a statewide staff of defense attorneys. Five handle only first-degree murder cases. Deen is not connected to the Anthony case.
He said the Anthony trial is the first time he's seen social media like MySpace postings used as evidence in a local death penalty case. Prosecutors will need to prove that Anthony sent them herself.
"They have to show she's the one who's making the postings. It's not open and shut they can be introduced," he said.

Red mine.

Oops. Cindy already admitted writing "My Caylee is Missing" during the hearing on the death smell in the damn car.

I'd say that one is a slam-dunk.

In the exchanges, it appears Cindy Anthony is the one frenetic to see her granddaughter.
"Everyone lies, everyone dies," Casey responded.
"There are some issues of proof with this," said Jeff Deen, who supervises a statewide staff of defense attorneys. Five handle only first-degree murder cases. Deen is not connected to the Anthony case.
He said the Anthony trial is the first time he's seen social media like MySpace postings used as evidence in a local death penalty case. Prosecutors will need to prove that Anthony sent them herself.
"They have to show she's the one who's making the postings. It's not open and shut they can be introduced," he said.

Red mine.

Oops. Cindy already admitted writing "My Caylee is Missing" during the hearing on the death smell in the damn car.

I'd say that one is a slam-dunk.

Numbers,
I understood the above to mean, Casey.
That they (SAO) has to show she's (Casey) the one making the posting..

Question: I did not know that "Everyone lies, everyone dies" was a response to Cindy. I thought it was just a post with a picture of a little girl. Am I wrong. Where does KC respond to Cindy like this - I thnk it is huge if it is true. But I thought she just put it up, not necessarily in response.

Can anyone help? Please

According to Hinkey Meter, on July 7th, KC makes this entry. It is not necessarily a reply to Cindy's July 3rd post. So the report is wrong when they say KC is responding to Cindy. She is posting this on a blog for everyone to see. Big difference, imo.

KC makes blog entry on her myspace titled “diary of days”. Entry reads “On the worst of worst days, Remember the words spoken. Trust no one, Only yourself. With great power, Comes great consequence. What is given, Can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies. Life will never be easy.”

According to Hinkey Meter, on July 7th, KC makes this entry. It is not necessarily a reply to Cindy's July 3rd post. So the report is wrong when they say KC is responding to Cindy. She is posting this on a blog for everyone to see. Big difference, imo.

KC makes blog entry on her myspace titled “diary of days”. Entry reads “On the worst of worst days, Remember the words spoken. Trust no one, Only yourself. With great power, Comes great consequence. What is given, Can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies. Life will never be easy.”

bbm
Yes, that could very well be true....

iirc..Casey posted the Diary of Days on July 7 but she had it uploaded and it was was bookmarked her computer on July 2 2008 the day before Cindy's myspace post...
see JWG post below
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4631926&postcount=111"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - "I'm a spiteful B!tch"...Casey quote[/ame]

JWG's post is part of this thread
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4631926#post4631926"]"I'm a spiteful B!tch"...Casey quote - Page 5 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Wasn't CA posting because she wanted to get ICA's attention? It wasn't in response to anything except not knowing where Caylee was.

ICA was just posting on MySpace as she routinely did to connect with her friends and talk about herself.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back