Should Adam be allowed to return to Australia?

Should Adam Baker be allowed to leave the United States?

• Yes, AB should be allowed to return to Australia.

Votes: 25 15.7%
  • No, AB should not be allowed to leave the USA.

Votes: 125 78.6%
  • I am unsure.

Votes: 9 5.7%

• Total voters

FaerieB

Reaction score
It has been reported (see here) that Adam Baker has paid off his worthless cheques and is to meet with police later this week. It has also been reported that AB would like to return to Australia.

Do you think that AB's passport should be returned, and he should be allowed to leave the country knowing that his extradition back would be difficult and costly if even possible. Or do you believe AB should be forced to remain in USA, knowing he is unable to earn an income, until ...when? When should he be allowed to leave? After the trial?

My own personal thoughts are conflicted. The DA's office has said that there is no credible evidence anyone but EB is involved. I have to believe, and I do, that they know more than I do. Because of their conviction, I am forced to believe he should be considered innocent. I do not believe an 'innocent' man should be forced to stay in a strange land, especially when he is unable to support himself while he is there. As much as it pains me to say it, I believe that I could not support not returning his passport to him, and allowing him to leave the country, based on what we know now.

I still don't understand why he's not in jail as a co-conspirator. At minimum, child neglect. I don't care if they want to pin the blame on the step-monster, this dad had to know SOMETHING.

I think he should stay here until the trial is over...whether he is involved or not, his testimony may be needed. I don't want anything to stop due justice.

I cannot answer other than unsure.

I still can't shake the feeling that he should be held in some way accountable for what happened to his child. Even if he was not a participant I am bothered by his acts of omission. She was his responsiblity and regardless of whether he ever lifted a hand to her, I am unsatisfied with his answers about not having seen her, how long he hadn't seen her and how seemingly clueless he was to her abuse.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop in regards to AB. If he is allowed to return to Australia, that tells me that shoe is never going to drop and I am not sure I can be okay with that result.

On the other hand, I realize that if LE has no plans to charge him with anything in regards to Zahra, then they may as well let him go home.

I do not understand WHY AB would want to leave the US until after the trial is over...if my child had been murdered there is NO WAY I would leave until justice was served. AB's desire to leave the US makes me think he is even more guilty than I already believe he is. Shame, shame, shame on AB. He cannot even stand up for his daughter in death let alone when she was alive.

I think he should have to stay here. I do not think he would come back for the trial if allowed to leave. I believe he is guilty of not knowing what was going on in Zahra's life, and therefore an accessorry to what happened. He was responsible for her well being. I don't think EB mutilated the body alone. I am hopeful that by the time trial gets here, she will be mad enough to tell the whole truth, and Adam will be charged.

He isnt charged with anything and with the secretion charge EB has I dont see him being charged. If he has taken care of his other charges to satisfy the state of NC I dont see how they can not allow him to leave if he wants too. I personally dont understand why he doesnt want to stay to see Zahra get justice,except I think he fears for his own life. JMO

I think he should be required to be in court to see justice for zahra....face EB in court... whether they even bring charges against him or not ... he owes her at least that much

Just a reminder that AB has not been charged with anything. You all have been well-behaved so far, and I appreciate that, but I wanted to make sure this thread doesn't de-rail.

This post falls at random.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...y-in-wifes-trial/story-e6freonf-1226037939899

Snipped:

Mr Pearce said Mr Baker planned to fight the charges of writing worthless cheques, communicating threats and failure to return rental property charges at a trial.

"Adam does not intend on entering a plea of guilty to those charges, so we plan on having a trial," Mr Pearce said.

I voted unsure. If Adam's next court date is June, and he plans on going to trial on the threats and failure to return rental property charges, (please tell me these charges are not going to be dropped!) , then surely he cannot be allowed to leave the US until after these charges and any trial are completed. Would he be allowed to leave the country with these impending charges? I feel a little confused as to exactly when he wants to go, June is still 2 months from now, I would assume he is going not where anytime soon.

As for EB's trial, well it could be more then a year away from actually beginning, so i cannot see how they can stop him from leaving once any open charges are closed and his fines/jail time dealt with. I would understand if he would want to go home and come back for the trial. But I do not believe that is his intention. I feel he wants to get away from the US, try to go on with his life and I do not think he will ever set foot on American soil again once he is gone. I think he will be more useful to the defense in a trial then the prosecution. Maybe LE wants him gone. I cannot believe and never will that he is not negligent, and that his actions or lack of played a hand in his daughter's demise. Maybe everything is completely backwards in my brain, but with the info I have seen, this is how I feel.

I tried to keep the above respectful, my blood pressure rises whenever I think about this case.

Thanks everyone for participating and for keeping it all very respectful. I don't believe there's a right or wrong answer to this, and I most definitely can sympathize with both points of view.

I can't believe that if this goes to trial that he won't be subpoenaed as a witness for the state. If that's so and they make that known to him and if he should try to leave before then can't they legally detain him?

If they plan to use him as a witness in the case then no he shouldn't be allowed to leave. If he's still under investigation then he shouldn't be allowed to leave. Other than that if he's so cold hearted that he doesn't want to see the murderer of his daughter be brought to justice then good riddance. Get him out of the country ASAP.

I do not understand WHY AB would want to leave the US until after the trial is over...if my child had been murdered there is NO WAY I would leave until justice was served. AB's desire to leave the US makes me think he is even more guilty than I already believe he is. Shame, shame, shame on AB. He cannot even stand up for his daughter in death let alone when she was alive.

Amen Trixie. Why would any parent walk away from seeing justice for their own child. My heart aches....

Hugs,

Mel

Amen Trixie. Why would any parent walk away from seeing justice for their own child. My heart aches....

Hugs,

Mel

BBM

MOO is he walked away from any responsibility for his child a long time ago. So it does not surprise me that he wants to distance himself from the USA. Sure his lawyer is saying he will come back for the trial. We will have to wait to see if that holds true I guess, but I do not think he will be back once he leaves.

Adam has been arrested on a charge of obtaining property by false pretenses, per the Hickory Police Department so I guess they've decided that he won't be returning to Aus anytime soon. :)

From this article: http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14433206

A meeting between police, the district attorney and Adam Baker's attorney was scheduled for Tuesday to see if Baker can get his passport back for an eventual return to Australia. WBTV has learned that the meeting has been put on hold for now.

I don't think he should be allowed to leave. He still has charges to face. But then again, I don't think his hints at leaving are really about leaving, they are about telling LE to hurry up and charge him.

I do think his lawyer is doing the right thing by having him start making moves as if he's going to leave and therefore forcing LE to get a move on. Obviously he had some stuff he wanted to get done (spend time with family to get his story across to them etc) and after that was done he had zero interest in delaying the charges any longer. Right now he might as well be in prison because it isn't as if he can currently work, go places, live his life normally etc... Might as well hurry up and start serving his time and whichever family member is paying for his rent and other expenses can save their money.

And it says here that AB has been placed on an Immigration Detainer.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2011/apr/12/11/adam-baker-arrested-2-felonies-ar-942670/

And Capt. T Whisnant said he could not speculate on additional charges, but that they are still looking at everything,and as things come to light they will deal with them. (paraphasing)

Guess its going to be a little while longer before he can go to OZ.

This IMO is LE saying they don't think he will return for trial (or possibly to face charges either).

This arrest says a lot...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back