Hurricane Maria - Sept 2017

Greetings from Puerto Rico! We're right on the path for Hurricane Maria, just in time for the 19th anniversary of Hurricane George's.

Hurricane Irma just hit us with a few winds and caused a few wrecks. (Some people still don't have electricity or water) if Maria comes, well, say goodbye to the weak and old Power infrastructure.

Only a miracle could save us from this.
Hi Angel-

The Good: we are still 3 days out so it could wobble North with less impact.

The bad: it's coming...unlikely it will miss you all together.

The ugly: forecast today is cat3/4....but that could also change.

Hope you have a plan and a safe place to go. Please let us know how things are going. Is the island prepared for another one this quick?

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Ugh. Local news is reminding people to restock their hurricane supplies.

Did I ever mention I hate hurricanes?

I'm a nervous wreck and can't watch the news on Jose, now this?

11:00 pm NHC update track- "Maria forecast to be a major with possible RI (rapid intensification). She looks to be a threat as she takes almost the same path as Irma through midweek next week. 125mph now expected near PR. Mainland US impacts too far away to guess. Jose could push Atlantic high aside opening the door... or he could race on out of here allowing it to close and push her more west.*"

http://spaghettimodels.com
025a4142ae15ea6265652db2a07aefaa.jpg
5bba660fd4a196451eb58d5b344f0140.jpg
db294bb544f6519aea46173243525ed9.gif

You know I told you our youngest daughter and her family lives in Charleston? Well guess what her name is? Yep! MARIA! :laughing:

I sure hope hurricane Maria turns out to be as calm as our Maria.

One of the other hurricanes had my first name although spelled differently. I hated it had my name because it wound up causing a lot of damage.:(

So do I Jax. I haven't been on this thread in awhile. Did your area of Jacksonville get flooded?

Since our power never went off we still have all of ours ready to go. I just hate it though for those who have already suffered so much from hurricanes this year. So many are still trying to recover and are still traumatized by Irma and Harvey.

There are 2 paths for Maria:

Scenario 1 is for #Jose to stall off the Northeast coast, causing a weakness in the ridge. This will likely take #Maria out to sea.

Scenario 2 shows Jose completely out of the picture and high pressure dominating the steering flow. This would take #Maria toward the U.S.

Praying for Scenario 1....

https://mobile.twitter.com/hurrtrackerapp?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http://spaghettimodels.com/
bf6979fcb1f8fd0ce09b6785396e399d.jpg
d462d81228caba5314d55396d5958dae.jpg

sure would be nice if it would take Scenario 1. :praying: I have no wish to beat 2005 records.

Greetings from Puerto Rico! We're right on the path for Hurricane Maria, just in time for the 19th anniversary of Hurricane George's.

Hurricane Irma just hit us with a few winds and caused a few wrecks. (Some people still don't have electricity or water) if Maria comes, well, say goodbye to the weak and old Power infrastructure.

Only a miracle could save us from this.

Glad you stop in, Archangel. I hope you are able to keep us updated for your area as this moves in. Sounds like you are very concerned. Hoping your power does not take a major hit. Not looking real great, though, from what I take from your update and Henry2326's reports. You remain in my daily concerns. I'll take a miracle, please.

Me too....Jax glad you are ok. Tough situation in Jax....flooding takes everyone by surprise.

I'm a nervous wreck and can't watch the news on Jose, now this?
Jersey- thinking of ya. Lets hope it skirts far enough off shore that surge is minimal. Its not an Irma or a Sandy at this point. Lets hope it stays that way.

You know I told you our youngest daughter and her family lives in Charleston? Well guess what her name is? Yep! MARIA! :laughing:

I sure hope hurricane Maria turns out to be as calm as our Maria.

One of the other hurricanes had my first name although spelled differently. I hated it had my name because it wound up causing a lot of damage.:(
Ocean, I remember...lovely name Maria. [emoji38] do they live downtown? Me too. Best hope is Jose pulls it out to sea.

All 3. Models show Maria approaching Puerto Rico on Wednesday. The Canadian model shows Maria slightly south of the island. Watching to see if this trend continues.
327dd609d59cdd810fd8b77c64f28c0f.jpg
53a3a80eab988d83ebf6dca255eea2e4.jpg
f37bdcd23a037885b600fc5bb3d53469.jpg

So do I Jax. I haven't been on this thread in awhile. Did your area of Jacksonville get flooded?

Since our power never went off we still have all of ours ready to go. I just hate it though for those who have already suffered so much from hurricanes this year. So many are still trying to recover and are still traumatized by Irma and Harvey.

Thanks for asking. I lost power for about 48 hours, which was miserable. I wasn't in an area of extensive flooding, but the road a block down was underwater. I don't know how much rain I got but I had measured 12 inches from the nor'easter before Irma arrived.

My screened-in porch flooded and I was worried it would get in the house, but it didn't. Have a couple of trees down, but they only damaged the privacy fence.

Over all, I was extremely lucky! So many thousands of people are still suffering...

Maria's forecast track through the islands has only changed slightly. Expecting rapid intensification on Tuesday.

Eastern US coast should continue to watch and be prepared. No consistency in the models concerning US landfall. Jose may have a significant impact on Maria's path.

Reminder: we have been at this same spot with the Irma forecast. Instead of going up the East coast, she decided to do her own thing. Hoping Maria follows Jose out to sea.

c44713f06b050f1c61fd9ef0521f709e.jpg
4167cdadd630f9b312556904eb05224e.jpg
39644308b8cc753c55ca0ec6bdf85ef8.gif

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-maria-hurricane-caribbean-20170917-story.html

The islands of the eastern Caribbean prepared Sunday to face another potential disaster, with forecasters saying newly formed and likely to strengthen Hurricane Maria was headed for a hit on the Leeward Islands by Monday night.

Hurricane or tropical storm warnings were posted for many of the islands already coping with the devastation caused by Hurricane Irma, including St. Barts and Antigua and Barbuda.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center said Maria was expected to gain power and could be near major hurricane strength while crossing through the Leeward Islands late Monday on a path aiming toward Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Haiti.
The storm had maximum sustained winds of 75 mph late Sunday afternoon. It was centered about 275 miles east-southeast of Dominica and heading west-northwest at 15 mph.

The hurricane center said hurricane conditions should begin to affect parts of the Leeward Islands by Monday night, with storm surge raising water levels by 4 to 6 feet near the storm's center. The storm was predicted to bring 6 to 12 inches of rain across the islands, with more in isolated areas.

It could make a direct hit on Puerto Rico, which was spared the full brunt of Irma, though power was knocked out to much of the island.

Follow Jose out to sea Maria! This is not the welcome to Myrtle Beach that I wanted! LOL

All 3. Models show Maria approaching Puerto Rico on Wednesday. The Canadian model shows Maria slightly south of the island. Watching to see if this trend continues.
327dd609d59cdd810fd8b77c64f28c0f.jpg
53a3a80eab988d83ebf6dca255eea2e4.jpg
f37bdcd23a037885b600fc5bb3d53469.jpg

Yes.....watch the Canadian model which is the light gold with triangles spaghetti

Ocean, I remember...lovely name Maria. [emoji38] do they live downtown? Me too. Best hope is Jose pulls it out to sea.

Thank you.

Well I really should have said Mt. Pleasant to be specific but they always just say Charleston because a lot of people don't recognize MP as well as they do Charleston.

I just hope both Jose and Maria doesn't come close to the east coast but I am afraid Maria will.

So many already have been hit in the recent years by strong hurricanes and have to be so tense when closely watching the paths of these hurricanes.

After work everyday this week my hubby has come in and has been working on all the huge limbs that were down. There was many more than we first thought. He worked on it yesterday from 6:30 to 6 in the evening so most of it has been cleared by now. He went and help a close friend of ours last Monday who had a huge oak tree fall close to their home. It must have been at least 300 years old ...it was massive in height and girth.

Our landline didn't come back up until the tele tech came out and they couldn't even get to it until this past Thursday. We told them we didn't mind waiting because we both have cell phones.

The insurance adjuster came out about our gazebo roof and hubby and friends will erect a new roof. It was wood and shingles before the storm and he is going to put an insulated dark gray metal roof on it this time.

Do we still have any posters who haven't posted since the hurricanes?

Noooooooo

:scared:

And to top that off I have this song going through my head right now:

[video=youtube;NbDFKC-jHQo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbDFKC-jHQo[/video]

Hurricane Maria will strike the Leeward Islands later Monday, then will intensify and take aim on the storm-weary Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, and other parts of the northeast Caribbean still recovering from a devastating hit from Hurricane Irma less than two weeks ago.

Maria is currently located about 85 miles east of Martinique and is moving west-northwest at 10 to 15 mph.

MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL15_storm_info_1280x720.jpg

A hurricane warning is now in effect for Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Kitts, Nevis, Montserrat, Martinique and St. Lucia. A tropical storm warning has been issued for Antigua and Barbuda, St. Maarten Saba and St. Eustatius.

Hurricane watches have been extended to include Puerto Rico, Vieques and Culebra, and remain in effect for the U.S. Virgin Islands, the British Virgin Islands, Saba, St. Eustatius, St. Martin, St. Barthelemy and Anguilla.

Tropical storm watches have been posted for Barbados, St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL15_ww1_1280x720.jpg

Maria is gaining strength and will likely become a major hurricane (Category 3 or stronger) soon as it passes through the northeast Caribbean Islands due to a combination of low wind shear, a moist atmosphere and warm ocean temperatures.

The NHC 5 a.m. Monday forecast discussion noted "considerable lightning occurring" in the convection near the center, a sign of the potential for rapid intensification.

MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL15_swath_1280x720.jpg

Whether Maria will ever pose an East Coast threat will depend on steering currents in the upper atmosphere over the western Atlantic Ocean and the eastern United States that cannot be pinned down more than a week in advance.

Interestingly, the potential for Jose to stall off the Northeast coast this weekend could play some role in determining Maria's long-term future path.

Also, if Maria interacts with the higher terrain of Puerto Rico and/or Hispañola, that could also affect its future track and intensity.

If Maria would strike the U.S., and again, that is not by any means a certainty, that would not happen until early next week.

For now, all residents along the East Coast and Gulf Coast should monitor the progress of Maria.

https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...a-lesser-antilles-northeast-caribbean-islands

Maria is expected to have 140 mph winds as she approaches Puerto Rico. 12-18 inches of water are also expected over the island.
Its still too early to tell where she might go.
EURO and GFS predict it will follow Jose out to sea.
Canadians see a path more like Matthew....skirt the Florida coast and landfall Charleston, SC.
Too early to tell...not packing my bags yet.

http://spaghettimodels.com
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/ana...=atl&pkg=mslp_uv850&runtime=2017091800&fh=180
847fa8e1ab8b5b257624a2e4adc8e012.jpg
5fc9f764c7d65f6407e3b1877c937e23.gif
053a17c8232c5aef5bffec81cbeac344.jpg
c2fded14f5623350373caaba336fcf1f.jpg
a87101f3d5fafae7a84681d88d2a8066.jpg

Thank you.

Well I really should have said Mt. Pleasant to be specific but they always just say Charleston because a lot of people don't recognize MP as well as they do Charleston.

I just hope both Jose and Maria doesn't come close to the east coast but I am afraid Maria will.

So many already have been hit in the recent years by strong hurricanes and have to be so tense when closely watching the paths of these hurricanes.

After work everyday this week my hubby has come in and has been working on all the huge limbs that were down. There was many more than we first thought. He worked on it yesterday from 6:30 to 6 in the evening so most of it has been cleared by now. He went and help a close friend of ours last Monday who had a huge oak tree fall close to their home. It must have been at least 300 years old ...it was massive in height and girth.

Our landline didn't come back up until the tele tech came out and they couldn't even get to it until this past Thursday. We told them we didn't mind waiting because we both have cell phones.

The insurance adjuster came out about our gazebo roof and hubby and friends will erect a new roof. It was wood and shingles before the storm and he is going to put an insulated dark gray metal roof on it this time.

Do we still have any posters who haven't posted since the hurricanes?

You have an amazing DH, OBE. That is a lot of work done in a relatively short span of time. I am glad for you to get everything back together so quickly. sigh... hearing about losing such an old tree (300 years ... imagine the stories that tree had) sort of hurts a bit. Now is time for a rebirth of nature's glorious wonders. Wishing the storms away .... though not all that successful, am I?

The only member I haven't seen an update from is KindredSpirit. I do hope she is doing all right.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back