Deaf Man Shot Dead as Neighbors Scream at Police "He Can't Hear You"

For context, police weren't serving a warrant in this case. There also was no police standoff and no SWAT involvement. Apples =/= oranges, imo.

People are saying that cops are out of control. But could it be that some of the public is out of control as well-which helps trigger these kinds of reactions?

I think there needs to be some context, for what often happens when officers go serve warrants at homes:

2 officers shot while serving warrant
Sep 19, 2017
The man who allegedly shot at the officers barricaded himself in his home for several hours before surrendering to the police, according to OSBI.
http://www.theadanews.com/news/loca...cle_ddf7b37d-359b-54e6-a8c3-83ce396eab6b.html

Pomona Officer Shot Serving Search Warrant in San Gabriel: Police
Sept 14, 2017
A Pomona police SWAT officer was shot and wounded while serving a search warrant, police said early Tuesday.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/81803177-157.html

Texas SWAT officer shot while serving warrant, suspect in custody

AUSTIN*—*An Austin police SWAT officer was shot while executing a search warrant at a home in North Austin early Thursday, Austin police Chief Art Acevedo said. Another SWAT team member exchanged fire with the shooter, who surrendered to police within minutes of the shooting.

https://www.policeone.com/officer-s...hot-while-serving-warrant-suspect-in-custody/

None of this is to say that this victim did anything wrong. I am just saying that the situations are automatically tense and explosive and when someone approaches cops while holding a potential weapon, things can go sideways fast. JMO

[emoji202]MOO

I'm sorry but I am deathly afraid of Police officers. What kind of **** is this? I hope this is investigated as homicide.

They had already tased him, for heaven's sake.

This breaks my heart. Mr. Sanchez did not deserve this. Wasn't the taser sufficient? This did NOT need to happen.

This breaks my heart. Mr. Sanchez did not deserve this. Wasn't the taser sufficient? This did NOT need to happen.

http://newsok.com/deaf-man-shot-kill...rticle/5564788

Mathews said Lindsey had a Taser drawn and Barnes had a handgun pointed at Sanchez as they ordered him to drop the pipe. Witnesses at the scene were yelling at the officers that Sanchez was deaf, but Mathews said it was unknown if the officers heard them.

Both officers fired their weapons after Sanchez began to approach them. Mathews said Sanchez was about 15 feet away from the officers when he was shot. Witnesses said the Taser deployed at the same time Sanchez was hit by the gunfire." RBBM

Not sure if he was razed then shot or concurrent but witnesses report both happening at the same time. How dark was the area? Could Mr. Sanchez have seen they had weapons drawn?

Immediate non-compliance as a justification for shooting seems to be on the rise. Sadly, many people have lags in response time fo a variety of reasons.

Still just shaking my head.

For context, police weren't serving a warrant in this case. There also was no police standoff and no SWAT involvement. Apples =/= oranges, imo. [emoji202]MOO

That may be so however the officers were investigating a hit and run and Sanchez was on the porch of the house that the vehicle reportedly went to. At this point all the officers know is that Sanchez could be the driver of the hit and run vehicle approaching them with a weapon. JMO

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ty-man-shot-and-killed-police-deaf/688213001/

Mathews said the officers were investigating a reported hit-and-run at around 8:15 p.m. Tuesday. He said a witness told Lt. Matthew Lindsey the address where the vehicle responsible for the hit-and-run had gone, and that Sanchez was on the porch when Lindsey arrived.

He said Sanchez was holding a metal pipe that was approximately 2 feet long and that had a leather loop on one end for wrapping around one's wrist. Lindsey called for backup and Barnes arrived, at which point Sanchez left the porch and began to approach the officers, Mathews said.

That may be so however the officers were investigating a hit and run and Sanchez was on the porch of the house that the vehicle reportedly went to. At this point all the officers know is that Sanchez could be the driver of the hit and run vehicle approaching them with a weapon. JMO

RSBM

Hit and run. A pipe, 15 feet away from 2 armed men. Neighbors yelling that the man can't hear their commands. I'm sorry but the taser would/should have been enough. This man did not have to die because of a trigger-happy cop.

RSBM

Hit and run. A pipe, 15 feet away from 2 armed men. Neighbors yelling that the man can't hear their commands. I'm sorry but the taser would/should have been enough. This man did not have to die because of a trigger-happy cop.

He was 15 feet away and approaching from what I understand. If there are guns drawn on me I would, at the very least, stop in my tracks.

You're right this man didn't have to die. Had dad not committed a hit and run, I have no doubt his son would still be alive.

I am so saddened that folks are defending the shooter on this one. This situation is not analogous to any of those upthread, period.

The ripples of this will touch many communities and lives. So tragic.

Perhaps those who want to murder people should join the police force. You can kill anyone you like as long as you give the explanation that you 'felt threatened'.

Some people do join LE for that reason - or at least due to aggressive and authoritarian personalities (and add superiority complexes into the mix). I'm sorry, I'm not saying or implying that all cops are bad or have psychological problems, but I have yet to meet one that didn't have an us vs them mentality - and that includes my ex's. My first husband wasn't a cop when we met but once he was on a force his personality changed fast. My second threatened to kill me repeatedly from the time I was seven months pregnant, and when our child was six months old he came into the kitchen where I was decorating Christmas cookies and put his service revolver against the side of my head and repeated the threat. I told him to do it because my family would make sure it was the last thing he ever did. At the time I didn't even know that was considered domestic abuse. Again all LE isn't warped, the threat of them being injured or killed in the line of duty has always been high, and they're not all like my ex's. But something is seriously wrong and it's just getting worse. This can't be allowed to continue. And no I have no faith in the criminal justice system. Aside from the basic problems with the justice system, it seems like a no brainer that people might be reluctant to side against LE out of fear for their own safety. But, again, it can not be allowed to continue.

Having cops arrive at your property should not mean a death sentence for anyone. It is getting absolutely absurd what is claimed as "deadly force" when used AGAINST law enforcement officers. It reminds me of the many cases where a person called the police for help and ended up being shot dead. I cannot imagine the fear and confusion in his final moments as he likely approached the officers to try and help the situation. Heartbreaking is an understatement.

Police were investigating a *non-injury* hit and run. A witness *believed* the car in question went to that address.

Sanchez was more than 15 feet away from officers; he's also deaf, nonverbal and communicates by writing notes.

His neighbors said he usually carries a *stick* "to ward off stray dogs when he walked at night," and police initially ALSO reported Sanchez was carrying a *stick.*

"When asked why (officer) Barnes used a gun instead of Taser, (police capt. Bo) Mathews said he didn't know."

Wow.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.merc...g-stick-shot-by-officer-in-oklahoma-city/amp/

Additionally:

OKC Police relaunched its body camera program back in January. Not sure why these officers weren't using them.

I don't believe they're required to activate them when interviewing witnesses, reporting parties or victims. HOWEVER, they ARE required to activate them when detaining someone, or when using force, or while having voluntary contact with people in public places.

More guidelines on OKCPD body cam use:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.koco...-police-officers-to-wear-body-cameras/8375505

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ty-man-shot-and-killed-police-deaf/688213001/

Mathews said the officers were investigating a reported hit-and-run at around 8:15 p.m. Tuesday. He said a witness told Lt. Matthew Lindsey the address where the vehicle responsible for the hit-and-run had gone, and that Sanchez was on the porch when Lindsey arrived.

He said Sanchez was holding a metal pipe that was approximately 2 feet long and that had a leather loop on one end for wrapping around one's wrist. Lindsey called for backup and Barnes arrived, at which point Sanchez left the porch and began to approach the officers, Mathews said.

[emoji202]MOO

Agreed. Usually, police aren't trained to "shoot to disable," though.

Considering they also had Tasers out and Sanchez was 15 or more feet away, I'm not sure why they would fire their weapons at all at that point. :(

Exactly, they were doing exactly what they were trained to do, and what they are going to continue to do, no matter what. Killing innocent people, handicapped, minorities, etc. That's the policy of all police in the US. To kill, not to disable.

Exactly, they were doing exactly what they were trained to do, and what they are going to continue to do, no matter what. Killing innocent people, handicapped, minorities, etc. That's the policy of all police in the US. To kill, not to disable.

The rest of the world don't understand this. Police are trained in conflict resolution. With much better results.

The rest of the world don't understand this. Police are trained in conflict resolution. With much better results.

Seriously.

Our police don't even carry guns, unless they are specially trained units.

My fear is that this will somehow become his fault. The more I read the sadder I become. I work with disabled young adults and I fear for them when they take the bus or subway home.

My adult son has disabilities,including hearing impairment- I understand completely

This is disgusting. If they were using the taser on this man, there was no need to shoot at all. The taser is enough to physically disable someone for long enough to let the officers safely restrain them.

Thats before we even get onto the fact that the neighbour informed them that the victim was deaf.

I hope that this cop is convicted of murder, but I won't hold my breath!
Did he drop pipe after being raised?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Did he drop pipe after being raised?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

He was deaf and nonverbal so he couldn't hear the commands to drop the stick.

IMO, he approached the police because he communicated by writing notes, as a MSM link farther up in this thread shows. Some media reports also mentioned he was mentally disabled.

Further, he had no history with the police, nor of arrests or prior criminal acts.

*He was trying to cooperate with police, imo.*

Police body cams were turned off for some reason (?!), and an officer fired his gun as his colleagues attempted to discharge a Taser.

Someone earlier (Jennifer17?) mentioned that police are trained in conflict resolution. Sadly, I believe they failed in this instance. I also feel the need to mention the obvious — police were dispatched to a less-affluent area of town and Mr Sanchez was a POC. (I just opened a can of worms, didn't I.)

It's all heartbreaking. Mr Sanchez didn't deserve to be killed.

This is O/T, but it reminds me a little bit of the Tulsa, Oklahoma shooting case in which officer Betty Shelby shot and killed Terence Crutcher. She drew and fired her weapon as her colleagues discharged their Tasers. She was tried, acquitted and then resigned.

[video=cnn;justice/2017/05/18/betty-shelby-verdict-chairman-police-sot.ktul]http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/14/us/tulsa-shooting-officer-betty-shelby-resigning/index.html[/video]

[emoji202]MOO

thinking of you, Mr. Sanchez, and those who knew and loved you, and those in your community and beyond who will never understand... sigh...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back