6-21-12 Court Appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defence lawyer expressea concern that #Magnotta has not been able to take medication in jail.

by PaolaSamuel via twitter 12:10 PM

#magnotta sitting straight faced shows no emotion behind glass wall.

by PaolaSamuel via twitter 12:13 PM

#magnotta defence doesn't ask for psychiatric evaluation. Preliminary trial d for march 11 and 18rh.

by PaolaSamuel via twitter 12:18 PM

bbm:

wow.... next March?

:thud:

(sorry guys... I am late to the this info!)

I'm not asking anyone to agree with my opinions in this case and I would ask those who are opposed not to tell me what I should or should not do.

This ain't my first rodeo. Thanks

Me either, ~n/t~, and I am right there with you on this case!

This seem like a fairly quick prelim hearing date to me. That gives the prosecution and defence about nine months to prepare and review evidence, in addition to dealing with other ongoing cases. I suspect that when March roles around, the prelim will be waived and a trial date will be set.

"Two weeks beginning next March 11 have been set aside for a preliminary hearing to determine whether there is enough evidence to send Mr. Magnotta to trial for first-degree murder. The defence has opted for a trial by judge and jury."

link

This seem like a fairly quick prelim hearing date to me. That gives the prosecution and defence about nine months to prepare and review evidence, in addition to dealing with other ongoing cases. I suspect that when March roles around, the prelim will be waived and a trial date will be set.

"Two weeks beginning next March 11 have been set aside for a preliminary hearing to determine whether there is enough evidence to send Mr. Magnotta to trial for first-degree murder. The defence has opted for a trial by judge and jury."

link

ITA otto ... there is too much evidence so the prelim should be unnecessary (unless the defence wants to buy even more time before a trial date is set).

You know I have to ask you this, right? What if it is proven, beyond a doubt, that his actions were due to schizophrenia, or a drug interaction? Yes, this is going to cost us (the taxpayers) money, but isn't this the whole basis of a fair and just criminal system that a defendant be given all the tools at his disposal to prove he is not guilty, even if it is an insanity defense? I think we need to step back from our overwrought emotions and let this play out.

Agree with you Jeanne, except for one thing: the defendant does not need to prove he is not guilty; he does not need to prove anything in fact: it is for the Prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused committed the acts he is charged with and is therefore guilty of the offences. Cornerstone of common law criminal justice system: innocent until PROVEN guilty (by the Crown). Magnotta can choose to simply put the Crown case to proof and could even choose to decline to call any evidence on his behalf. One thing is certain: if he chooses to call 'character evidence' he is going to have a difficult time finding witnesses since it seems his only friends were his own sockpuppets!

Why Magnotta’s lawyers didn’t request a psychiatrist assessment

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/can...psychiatrist+assessment/6442666863/story.html

My thoughts are that his lawyer declined to request a psych assessment from the Court because if he had, the document would be shared among Court and Prosecution as well. He can still get a psych assessment done and I would bet he will pay for a private one (rather than a Court-ordered one) from a top-notch psych. If Magnotta doesn't like what is contained in the report (which will comment on culpability and whether he knew what he was doing at the time was wrong etc) then he can throw it away; his lawyers are not required to release it to the Prosecution or the Court. They could "shop" around for a favourable psych report until they get one, then choose to disclose that to the Prosecution and to build a defence case using that report. That is my guess re what will happen.

"Police were hot on Luka Rocco Magnotta's trail just weeks before he allegedly killed and dismembered university student Jun Lin, according to a former landlord.

Canadian law enforcement had tracked the 29-year-old *advertiser censored* actor and stripper to a Montreal apartment building as recently as March, says Magnotta's former landlord.

He said a police detective phoned asking about Magnotta. But the query came too late — Magnotta had moved out about two weeks earlier."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/06/24/magnotta-police-landlord.html?cmp=rss

more at link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members