OH OH - William 'Bill' Comeans, 14, Columbus, 7 Jan 1980 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firehouse one block from attack #2, Broad St and Maple Drive

-Just winging some thoughts here- not sure if this was brought up – but what about forensic hypnosis as a memory recall tool? Bob and Kat - I am thinking especially in light of the fact your family discovered Bill. Your filters then, as siblings, would be different than your parent’s filters who were the ones dealing with LE.

Normally, I am fairly skeptical about tapping into the paranormal, psychics, and hypnosis, but the layers of attacks, threats, notes, stalking, close proximity of Bill’s death in his own neighborhood, the sheer trauma of those four months, and finally finding him were no doubt psychologically and spiritually so all-consuming that maybe some potential detail, insight, ‘creepy feeling’ about someone, or even something random that Bill (or someone else) said somewhere in that time, could be obscured in the emotions of terror, guilt, grief, loss; the list is long. Also, would the impressions, perceptions, of a young person be submerged, or even dismissed by LE?

My other thought is the Vidocq Society – when it was mentioned back up thread I wondered if the new CC detective is within the same LE department. One way to flush out LE’s position might be to ask if they are willing to turn it over and submit it to Vidocq.

Methodical, having you with your LEO experience on this thread is very amazing I must say.

Firehouse one block from attack #2, Broad St and Maple Drive

An ancillary department would have access to police ban radio and perhaps other information?

When Kat said it may have been easy to lure Bill into a car - I am thinking could it have been under a pretense of LE (or imposter) in a vehicle he had not seen before or would recognize. Yes, this is very possible.

Going back to the first post I ever made here, in order to be your eyes and ears, I will try and answer your questions as best I can in order to move this thing past theories and onto facts. I'm dedicating the next two hours to questions. This brings questions to the front that have been overlooked in the past several weeks.

Bill was found at Park and Buena Vista, face down in a shallow ditch apx 8 feet off Park. There was a small dirt bank and several trees between his body and the road.

BBM: Stupid question from a Newbie to this site... and Bob and Kat should really being the ones to answer this but I'm going to toss it out there.

I would think ANY key point if it helps solve this case is fair game. I've noticed that a lot of you appear to 'hold back' because of their feelings. I know a lot of what you're holding back on is delicate but if it was me (hence saying Bob and Kat should answer), I'd want it ALL out there as withholding something might be just what prevents this case from being solved.

I'm sure they'd do like I do when it comes to seeing/reading something that hurts me (animal abuse which hurts me very badly). I'll skim over it so I don't have to read it and have it haunt me. I'll also mute TV, flip stations (and hope I time it right which I never do. haha), or fast forward with my eyes shut to the point I can barely see what's playing, but enough to see a change of scene. You get my point. :)

Again, I'll let them answer but I think withholding thoughts is doing a disservice to Bill, Bob, Kat & family IMHO. It just might be what solves this case.

I did not intend for it to have been mis-read that way.
All discussion should be fully open, I agree 100%.
Unless the discussion leads to info that would jeopardize the case.
That's the part my post was referring to.

LEO in patrol car was encountered on the middle block of Maple. He stated he thought someone saw someone walking somewhere north of our location. Brothers were headed south at the time, patrol car was headed south as well.

Father and neighbor headed north on Maple on foot at apx same time.

Brothers turned around and headed north, picked a car at family house, and drove down Maple to Park, turned right and stopped at Buena Vista and Park. Left car on road, walked over to tracks and saw Bill's body, father, and neighbor kneeling in ditch with Bill's body.

Going back to the first post I ever made here, in order to be your eyes and ears, I will try and answer your questions as best I can in order to move this thing past theories and onto facts. I'm dedicating the next two hours to questions. This brings questions to the front that have been overlooked in the past several weeks.

Bill was found at Park and Buena Vista, face down in a shallow ditch apx 8 feet off Park. There was a small dirt bank and several trees between his body and the road.

Greatly appreciated Bob. All along I had "assumed" he was found on the south side of the trees closer to the edge of Park St. I also had assumed he was much closer to road. This helps.

Although answering individual questions is always vital, it may be best that as time permits, you and Kat put together a highly detailed account (short story, or book chapter, in other words) of each segment of Bill's case, from the very start to the final day. Take your time and review/edit it as necessary. This will provide us the best method of a greatly needed "info dump" upon us, and will also hopefully & drastically cut down on the sheer number of questions we need to ask.

attack site #1 was in woods that totally concealed the scene. There are many footpaths/bike paths through the woods and many kids cut through that area.

Unknown whether LE returned to the scene the next day for analysis. Unknown what investigation was done that night after EMS took body. We never went back to scene. Mother and father did go downtown to sheriff's office and were questioned for several hours after Bill was pronounced at hospital.

Believe it or not I am learning and relearning things from all of you of things I had kind of forgotten over time. It is also refreshing my memory as well. Good example, the timeline that was put together and posted much earlier in discussion. Helps me to study it and remember things.

Methodical I agree, many more facts need to be given. Thanks for your help!

My first post on Bill's thread and must say that you guys are all amazing!
(sorry for my bad English , I'm from way far away ...)

The attack days coinciding just after the school days make me think if the perp's house /garage become available only when the school starts and the child/children go to a boarding school/college .. I would like Bob and Kate to reveal their memory if there were any single /couple iiving very close and have children leaving home for school ? just a thought anyway...

Post 458 wondering why Bill wasn't taken to the "no witness zone," beyond the railroad tracks.

I feel he was dumped in the ditch because they had a vehicle that they couldn't abandon to move him further into a secure no witness zone area. I feel he was dead by the time they arrived at the dumping spot. As he was moved from the car to the ditch, someone had a knife in their hand and it was dropped at the scene in the chaos of the body transfer. The beer bottle I suspect may have already been in the ditch as trash. Anyone who was in a car with his body already had their hands full, literally, as they attempted to remove him from car.

I stood alone last night in my front yard. It was cold, dark, wet. The street was quiet and there were many place of concealment around me in trees and bushes. I could feel how someone could be upon you quickly and overcome you, where even a quick shout would not call out attention from anyone. Bill's neighborhood the houses are close together with people parking along the street. A random car could be unnoticeable.

post 550 the neighbors on the street had lived there for years and years. Fairly stable environment aside from Topes living directly across the street.

LEO in patrol car was encountered on the middle block of Maple. He stated he thought someone saw someone walking somewhere north of our location. Brothers were headed south at the time, patrol car was headed south as well.

Father and neighbor headed north on Maple on foot at apx same time.

Brothers turned around and headed north, picked a car at family house, and drove down Maple to Park, turned right and stopped at Buena Vista and Park. Left car on road, walked over to tracks and saw Bill's body, father, and neighbor kneeling in ditch with Bill's body.

How much time had elapsed between that first 911 call (when the family noticed Bill missing) till the time you saw that LE patrol car on Maple? (your most accurate estimate)
ETA: Also, you did not see the LEO patrol car prior to him in the middle (approx 200 blk of Maple Dr) of next south block of Maple? No idea if he has come off Kanard St or from your block of Maple?
The LEO probably did not explain anything other what you said, but I'm very curious (since he knew he was called there for Bill missing) as to why the LEO did not immediately go to that north area on Maple to see if he could locate and identify who that unknown "somebody" actually was?

Also, according to your words, your father & neighbor arrived at the scene first, then you & your bro arrived shortly after (How long after, would you say?) but still prior to the arrival of any LEO's. If correct, how much longer did it take each LEO to get on-scene?

Also, if you can, what were the first actions of each LEO, and actions following, by each LEO? How long was it before Bill was taken away by ambulance? (most accurate estimate that you can recall)

911 was called as my brother and I walked out the front door and headed north. ETA was apx 5 minute walk from our house north to LEO encounter.

He may have just entered the area of the neighborhood when we saw him. His comment seemed very random to me, as my brother turned and headed north, I have no idea where he went.

Back to our house, less than 5 minutes, we were jogging back. Pick up car, drive north to tracks, another 5 to less than 10 minutes on scene.

Brother and I were third and fourth on scene. No LEO. I accessed Bill, told brother to cut scarf off his neck and I ran up to northwest house on corner and called 911 for ems. 2-3 minutes later I was back at the ditch and LEO was taking pictures. I don't remember him saying anything to us or if it was the same LEO from the earlier encounter.

Ems arrived probably within 5-10 mins, took over cpr from us, put Bill on gurney, hooked an automatic cpr machine to his chest, loaded and transported. Time EMS on scene, less than 10 minutes.

Family left scene with no word to LEO. Don't recall other LEO on scene at my departure, although there may have been.

I truly wish that I could throw down the LE suspicion. But I just can't. Bill was loved and admired by his friends and family, very much respected in the community, and an all around good guy. Who would want to harm him? Bob and Kat, thank you so much for starting that twitter thread. I just wish I could give you both a big ole hug. :(

post 555 thanks for that virtual Appalachian mountain hug.

Who is someone who could completely control a young man to the point where he would not reveal anything he knew even under the threat of death? If he did know anything? I still feel this had ties to students at the high school and reaching outward.

post 555 thanks for that virtual Appalachian mountain hug.

Who is someone who could completely control a young man to the point where he would not reveal anything he knew even under the threat of death? If he did know anything? I still feel this had ties to students at the high school and reaching outward.

Teachers, and or LE.

-Just winging some thoughts here- not sure if this was brought up – but what about forensic hypnosis as a memory recall tool? Bob and Kat - I am thinking especially in light of the fact your family discovered Bill. Your filters then, as siblings, would be different than your parent’s filters who were the ones dealing with LE.

Normally, I am fairly skeptical about tapping into the paranormal, psychics, and hypnosis, but the layers of attacks, threats, notes, stalking, close proximity of Bill’s death in his own neighborhood, the sheer trauma of those four months, and finally finding him were no doubt psychologically and spiritually so all-consuming that maybe some potential detail, insight, ‘creepy feeling’ about someone, or even something random that Bill (or someone else) said somewhere in that time, could be obscured in the emotions of terror, guilt, grief, loss; the list is long. Also, would the impressions, perceptions, of a young person be submerged, or even dismissed by LE?

My other thought is the Vidocq Society – when it was mentioned back up thread I wondered if the new CC detective is within the same LE department. One way to flush out LE’s position might be to ask if they are willing to turn it over and submit it to Vidocq.

Methodical, having you with your LEO experience on this thread is very amazing I must say.

Excellent ideas and insights, Rose!
With Bill's case still "open", I'm not sure what the exact official status of it is, whether it's officially "active" or truly "cold case". I've never dealt with any cases in regards to the Vidocq Society, so I can't say if Bill's case can or cannot be turned over to them.
But I would hope the status, especially after 34 years, would allow that to happen, for several reasons. Tho the full info & details are still in the process of being relayed to us by the Comeans, the items of info so far have caused concern in trust and ability for local LE to solve this case. IMO

Bob, do you know of any corrupt LE or teachers during that time frame? Please don't give names. We're not allowed to sleuth until they are a suspect. :) A simple yes or no will do, and thank you for taking the time to answer our questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288