Throwing babies for good luck

People sure have funny customs. Some folks in Europe think those who circumcize babies are barbaric.

I wouldn't want my baby thrown off a temple, but maybe I'd feel differently had I grown up in that culture.

The drop and bounce doesn't look hardcore enough to me to flip a liver, but I have no medical background. My biggest concern would be that the baby would miss the mat.

People sure have funny customs. Some folks in Europe think those who circumcize babies are barbaric.

I wouldn't want my baby thrown off a temple, but maybe I'd feel differently had I grown up in that culture.

The drop and bounce doesn't look hardcore enough to me to flip a liver, but I have no medical background. My biggest concern would be that the baby would miss the mat.
I dont know medically if it could flip the liver or not either, I have just always heard to not to toss your baby up in the air or flip them because you would flip their liver, so thats what made me think of that. Either way, it still scares me.

That's definitely a strange custom to me. I hope all of the babies land safely on the mat. I'd be interested to know if any do fall or get hurt.

It's mutilation, pure and simple.

I saw that video and I worried about the shaken baby syndrome. It is quite jarring when they hit the mat. I think it is allso quite traumatic for a baby, who has a built in fear of falling, to be thrown off such a high place.

I dont know medically if it could flip the liver or not either, I have just always heard to not to toss your baby up in the air or flip them because you would flip their liver, so thats what made me think of that. Either way, it still scares me.

I am pretty sure that you could not flip their liver LLOL

However it probably can cause shaken baby symptoms... Their little brains can rattle in their skull and swell and bleed.

I saw that video and I worried about the shaken baby syndrome. It is quite jarring when they hit the mat. I think it is allso quite traumatic for a baby, who has a built in fear of falling, to be thrown off such a high place.

Why do you think babies have a built in fear of falling??

I really think at that age they have not developed the spacial skills to be afraid.

Still this is just a weird ritual!!

Well...they've been doing it for 500 years...........

I wouldn't do it ..but hey, who am I?

Why do you think babies have a built in fear of falling??

I really think at that age they have not developed the spacial skills to be afraid.

Still this is just a weird ritual!!

I've always read that humans are born with two innate fears - of falling and of loud noises.

It churns my stomach every time a clip of that is played on the news. :eek: I couldn't hand my child over to a tosser.

It churns my stomach every time a clip of that is played on the news. :eek: I couldn't hand my child over to a tosser.

It didn't say in the article, but I wonder how optional it is to hand your baby over. I'm sure it's not forced, but old traditions run deep, and I suspect there could be some social/cultural pressure.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back