Astrologers LIBRARY

Status
Not open for further replies.
QUICK REFERENCE TO Astro symbols - glyphs - abbreviations:
Astrosymbolsabbrevcopy.jpg

AstroSYMBOLS.jpg

You can join an online group that offers beginning astrology. I have one but we haven't been very active due to my being otherwise occupied, but here's a group:

http://horoscopeschat.yuku.com/directory

You'll probably have to sign up with the service first - free - if you don't have an account with them. Then you'll need to sign up with the group. Tell them member AlexaK referred you from her group if they ask for info about yourself.

Have fun. I'm not sure if they've moved all their information from our old site yet, but normally they have tons of stuff.

This is the link to my group, but we're in the middle of moving from the old site, same as HOROSCOPECHAT, so we haven't been very active. You may join. All new participants must be approved by me, so there will be a time delay. I'm not sure if I made this one private.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AstrologersForum/

Here are two more groups that are good, and I'm a member (rather inactive as of late) of both. Horary Hour is just horary, so it's better for those more advanced than "beginner" but it's a great read for newbies, too:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HoraryHour/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChartT...guid=218466291

I'm not sure if they have them "locked" and you have to join by request, but they usually accept most people.

Here are some more Horary Books in my Library:

Horary Astrology Rediscovered by Olivia Barclay (1919 - 2001)

Teacher of John Frawley (see The Horary Textbook in my post #6 above.) Responsible for bringing William Lilly's Christian Astrology back into the astrological mainstream. Developed a qualifying horary diploma course leading to the Q.H.P. certification (Qualified Horary Practitioner).

Quote: "Much of astrology is unprovable waffle. The advantage of horary questions is that they work and can be seen to work."

An important book for the well-rounded Horary Astrologer's Library.

Handbook of Horary Astrology by Karen Hamaker-Zondag

Quote: "In horary astrology, all the information is based on rulers. If this is forgotten, the answer fails."

Suggests using the natal chart to gain supplementary information; also explains the concept of the Consultation Chart (cast for the moment the client arrives) and its usefulness.

The Martial Art of Horary Astrology by Dr. J. Lee Lehman, Ph.D.

On the faculty at Kepler College, Dr. Lehman is a proponant of Western Classical Astrology (William Lilly, etc.). She is an excellent interpreter of mundane charts as well as difficult ones.

The Houses Temples of the Sky by Deborah Houlding

Not a horary book per se, but a highly useful addition to the horary astrologer's reference library. Ms. Houlding, an amazingly prolific astrologer, gives an excellent and thorough examination of the 12 houses, including their main rulerships, and their uses in Horary as well as Mundane astrology.

Free horary lessons are available at her web site, http://www.skyscript.co.uk/

The Astrology of Death by Richard Houck (1947 - 2001)

Not for the faint-hearted and definitely not for beginners. Pluto people will love it. A technical and brilliant analysis of every type of death, both expected and unexpected. Houck's work combines both the Hindu (Vedic) and Western systems of astrology.

Thanks,
Soulscape

I'm an astrologer/numerologist and have studied the astrology of crime for many years and am currently about 1/3 of the way finished with my first book on the subject. I love "The Astrology of Death by Houck" and come back to it often.

I have over 600 books on astrology as well as several software programs (Kepler 7.0, Solar Fire Deluxe 6.9, Time Passages, and Janus) but still prefer to cast a chart by hand.

I've been studying the astrology of murder and serial killers and would like to recommend 2 great books:

"Destined For Murder" by Sandra Harrison Young & Edna Rowland and "Zodiac Of Death" by Don Lassiter & Dana Holliday.

I love forensic astrology (as well as medical astrology) and find it fascinating the propensity for extreme violence can actually be found in a person's birth chart, as can most disease.

Welcome to the WS Astrology thread EtheralGirl! Thanks for your input on good reference books. As a very interested learner, but non-astrologer here, I certainly appreciate the recommendations.

Feel free to kick back here and visit often! We look forward to your input on our active cases. Soulscape, Tuba, Kaitland, and Housemouse work very hard to teach us and provide wonderful charts and analyses to try to help and solve cases. They all have amazing gifts, and work very well together. I'm sure new constructive and complimentary input would be welcome, especially from someone with a similar forensic horary background.

Again, ((((Hugs)))) and welcome to our group!

P.S. My daughter is a trauma nurse (RN in ER <---always an acronym lol). She's very passionate about what she does too...absolutely loves it.

Thank you for the kind welcome Becka. I was charge nurse in a trauma unit for awhile, and it is very rewarding as well as stressful. Anyone that can hang in there has my utmost respect.

Yes very stressful, but she says she wouldn't work in any other department lol. She's tried the floor nursing thing and it bores her to tears. Her ultimate goal is to become a flight nurse. (Scares the beejeebies outta me!!)

MOON IN CAPRICORN

Suggested reading:

~S.R. Parchment
Astrology Mundane and Spiritual

~Max Heindel, Augusta Foss Heindel
The Message of the Stars

~Ned Ballantyne, Stella Coeli
Your Horoscope and Your Dreams

Love and Light,
*JazzyStars*

Typhon This was snipped from the description of how Pisces came to be.

Aphrodite, the goddess of beauty, and her son Eros, the god of love. The two were walking along a river one day when the terrible monster Typhon suddenly rose up out of the water, intent on their destruction. Typhon was ancient and awful. He is alternately identified as the offspring of Gaia and Tartaros, of Hera and Kronos or of Hera alone. No matter what his parentage, Typhon was as strong as a Titan, and therefore as strong as the Olympians. He was as tall as the heavens and his eyes shot flames. Instead of fingers, he had 100 dragon's heads sprouting from his hands.

Cyane
http://www.theoi.com/Text/NonnusDionysiaca6.html

The goddess passed them by, looking for a stony harbourage; and she alighted among the Pelorian cliffs of Threepeak Sicily near the Adriatic shores, where the restless briny flood is driven towards the west and bends round like a sickle, bringing the current in a curve to southwest from the north.(11) And in the place where that River had often bathed the maiden Cyane, pouring his water in fountain-showers as a bridegift,(12) she saw a neighbouring grotto like a lofty hall crowned and concealed by a roof of stone, which nature had completed with a rocky gateway and a loom of stone tended by the neighbouring Nymphs.(13)

The citations are interesting and can be read at the link.

Ute
Ute influences our tribal nature, issues of conformity, and otherwise active and proper deliverance of humanity.

One more water influence:
Oceana – = Ocean
Meaning of OCEANA
Name: Oceana
Meaning: From the Sea
Origin: Greek

http://www.ccrsdodona.org/m_dilemma/1999/aw99fa.html
Very good reading on JFK, Jr’s death…Oceana was prevalent in everyone on the flight’s chart (includes charts at site).

ETA: One more -- Melpomene is "the muse of tragedy"

ETA2: Elektra

Elektra (One of the Pleiades( 7 Sisters))
Meaning of ELEKTRA
Name: Elektra
Meaning: Bright Light
Origin: Greek

The Pleiad Electra /&#618;&#712;l&#603;ktr&#601;/ of Greek mythology was one of the seven daughters of Atlas and Pleione. Electra was the wife of Corythus. She was raped by Zeus and gave birth to Dardanus, who became the founder of Troy, ancestor of Priam and his house. According to one legend, she was the lost Pleiad, disappearing in grief after the destruction of Troy. She was called Atlantis by Ovid, personifying the family of Pleiades. Electra means "amber," "shining," and "bright."

Ulula
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9378417/Dictionary-of-Minor-Planet-Names

Discovered 1911 May 18 by J. Helffrich at Heidelberg.
Named for an order of birds (the owl) of prey with large head and eyes, short hooked bill, strong talons and more or less nocturnal habits. Ulula comes from the Latin word ululare which is an imitation of the call of the owl.

I don't know if this has any bearing on the chart readings, but I found it interesting.

Thanks!

The 3 Liliths --- Lilith the Asteroid, Dark Moon Lilith and Black Moon Lilith can be confusing. I have located some good information for your study.

Please read this article by M. Kelley Hunter first. Not only does she describe the 3 Liliths, she also discusses a possible 4th Lilith --- ALGOL!!

http://www.mountainastrologer.com/standards/editor's choice/articles/lilith_hunter/lilith.html

Here are some other resources:

http://www.antonia-langsdorf.de/dateien/astrologie-antonia-langsdorf-essay.php

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4408

http://www.expreso.co.cr/centaurs/blackmoon/lilith.html

===========
Happy Reading!!

Love,
Soulscape

Nurse, I have never looked into the best site for beginner lessons. I did a very quick google, and found this site at the top of the list. It might be a starting point for you.

Will send an email to the other astro-sleuths, and see if they have any others to recommend. We should find a good site, and put that in the general thread.

http://www.aquamoonlight.co.uk/index.html

thank you much, Housemouse! I am excited to learn more! I found this one in a google search as well... http://www.yournetastrologer.com/learn_astrology1.htm (the link takes you to lesson one)

Hmm, looks like your link is Vedic Astrology. This is an alternate method, and there are many squabbles among the practitioners of Vedic Astrology and traditional "Western" astrology.

I would suggest that you start with Western first. My second suggestion is that you not pick your own chart, or that of a close relative to study. It is very hard to be objective about yourself or a close relative, and if you see a difficult aspect, you are apt to worry too much.

Caylee Anthony's is a good first chart, and you can look through all the posts we made on her chart from the beginning, and follow along. I say hers because we have a birth time and location. We are somewhat handicapped in analyzing the Haleigh charts because we do not have these.

Thank you so much, Soulscape.

Just yesterday I looked through my old issues of Mountain Astrologer for that article but didn't have that issue and the old link I found for it didn't work. You saved me a bit of work searching for it. Thanks so much.

So much reading to do. I'll get on it right away.

Thanks so very much for all the links! :blowkiss: You're the best.

I've gone through this thread and didn't see these books listed, but if they are duplications, please forgive me.

These books are for basic beginner's astrology, but have much info in them:

Alan Oken's Complete Astrology
By Alan Oken
Ibis Press, A Imprint of Nicolas-Hays, Inc./Berwin, Maine
1980, 1988, 2006
The classic guide to modern astrology. Highly Recommended.

Astrology: Understanding the Birth Chart
By Kevin Burk.
Llewellyn Publications, 2002
Very good comprehensive guide for beginning astrologers and for the professional astrologer's library. Includes astrology basics plus dispositor trees, an important factor missing in many introductory astrology books.

I've attached my astrological book list in a Word document. You can download it for future reference. The books marked with *** are books I recommend for beginners. There are two or three with asterisks that are more advanced, but they're also important for later studies. I've also marked the horary books (horary). Most of the books recommended by the other astrologers aren't included in this list.

You don't need to have all these books on hand and you don't need to own all of them. You may find some books in your local library.

Good luck and happy learning!

Books List attached here:

Attachments

• ASTROLOGY BOOKS.doc
    117.5 KB · Views: 28
This is the place to list books and other resources for gaining an understanding of astrology and how it works and reflects in our every day.
DOGblinking.gif

A reminder of the Guidelines as noted in post #1.
Give the Title, Author and a brief detail as to the subject and nature of the same.*No need to give lessons or quote more then a couple lines of a Copyrighted work;always be sure to give proper credit to the Author. If there is a particular passage or chapter you feel should be given special attention, simply make reference to it.

(*posts will be modified or deleted if they do not fall within these guidelines)

For those new to astrology and eager to enjoy the adventure, why not try Graphic Astrology by Ellen McCaffery? She is one of the most revered astrologers of modern times and she makes astrology easy and fun.

Archetypes of the Zodiac
Kathleen A. Burt
Llewellyn Publications, 1988
(out of print, available from bookselling websites like alibris, etc.
Amazon has some good customer reviews.)

Alibris synopsis:
"A fascinating Jungian approach to the 12 zodiac signs. The archetypal journeys of each sign are explained here: Aries' search for a separate identity, Taurus' quest for value and meaning, Gemini's search for variety. Both astrology and mythology have seen a rebirth lately. Cash in on this trend with this classic."

I have found this book invaluable in both my work and personal life. The essays on Gemini and Scorpio are particularly valuable. They are long and require digesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans