NC NC - Angela Gray Hamby, 20, Wilkesboro, 29 Oct 1982

This sounds like it was someone that Angela knew, though. What was Below convicted of?

This sounds like it was someone that Angela knew, though. What was Below convicted of?

He was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the disappearance of Kathern Fetzer. He admitted to murdering her and disposing of her body in a trash dumpster, but authorities believe that he is a serial murderer responsible for the murders and disappearances of several women.

How long has he been in jail? How long did it take for them to catch him?

When I was in high school there were a few kids that could pass for 30 year olds. They were the ones to buy cigarettes and liqour because no one questioned them. He is in the area, suspected of murder of numerous women and close to her age. If he is generally a burly man he could have been so at 17, with 5'oclock shadow and all. I think it is more than plausible and should be called in.

ETA just saw that you called it in, nevermind that!

20072010201020Suspect1.jpg
2501825820045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

This wasn't mentioned here or anywhere else AFAIK, so I will. This composite image looks amazingly like Christopher J. Below, who is suspected in the disappearances of several women, including Kristina Porco, Heather Teague, Shaylene Ferrell, and Kathern Fetzer.
porco_kristina.jpg
teague_heather7.jpg
farrell_shaylene.jpg
fetzer_kathern3.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/porco_kristina.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/teague_heather.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/farrell_shaylene.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fetzer_kathern.html

Did anyone ever hear back about this? To me, they look way to similar to just be a coincidence.

I am also wondering if there have been any developments due to the possible suspect. That is a close match & if he was just passing thru that could explain no one recognizing him or ever finding her body.

I'm local to this area but have not heard anything about this possible match except for here on this site.

There is rumor that someone who knew Angie stated that the composite did look like someone she had either dated or known; but, as far as I know, nothing has ever come of it. I believe that person is now deceased; but, I never saw a name mentioned.

I have no idea if this is related; but, there's a new book that was written about a murder, biker gang, drug ring in that area around the same time. The murder happened December 24, 1981. The body was located in Ore Knob Mine Shaft along with another body in Ashe County ... just up the mountain from Wilkes County. One of the men killed was married; and, his wife was abducted and forced into prostitution.

The man responsible said there were 23 other bodies in that mine shaft; but, they were never located.

Here is a link to the book on amazon. You can read some parts of it there to get an idea of what happened.

The Ore Knob Mine Murders: The Crimes, the Investigation and the Trials. Contributions to Southern Appalachian Studies

Merry Christmas Angela. It's sad that you seem to have been forgotten. My thoughts and prayers are with those you left behind, who have had to struggle with having you taken from them.

This thread recently popped up...

NC NC - Wilkes Co., Photo of Gagged Woman Tied To Chair, Circa 1970's or Early 80's
Back in 2015, I was contacted by a woman who told me that she thought her ex-husband was involved in the 1982 disappearance of Angie Hamby of Wilksboro North Carolina. She said that when they had separated, he left a lot of items behind in their house that she thought suspicious. She sent me the items in the mail, and as I looked through the items I found this 35 millimeter slide of an unknown female bound to a chair and gagged.
The woman in the photo obviously is not Angie Hamby, and there are no missing woman who resemble this woman. but this photo was obviously either evidence of a crime against an unknown victim, or something created with her cooperation for his own amusement.

Given the circumstances, the pic could be of a crime victim (though not Hamby). The lady doesn't look like she's scared for her life or like she's posing for the picture. To me, it just looks like a dark-haired girl with a neck brace wrapped around her head.

My goodness, Angela's Doe and Charley pages are outdated, and I don't see where anyone added her Namus page or any pictures of her. So, I've updated with all three links (click on blue hyperlinks) and added her picture.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Angela Hanby1.jpg
    Angela Hanby1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 138
Wilkesboro Police
Yesterday (7/24/2020, 4:39 pm)

Investigative activity with this case has occurred in the last few weeks, but no more evidence resulted. This case remains open. Call us at 336-667-7277 or Wilkes Crimestoppers at 336-667-8900 to remain anonymous if you have information concerning Ms. Hamby. Here is the correct link to the Charley Project: http://charleyproject.org/case/angela-gray-hamby

Angela Gray Hamby
nat_2536_1-1.jpg
nat_2536_2.jpg
nat_2536_3.jpg
nat_2536_4.jpg

Missing since 29 October 1982
This October will marks40 years since she disappeared.

This is actually my website and I followed a hit to my site back here, so hello Websleuths.

Angie's story is something I'm actively working on in my own small way.
I will be posting stories from the last couple years that appeared in the local newspaper as soon as I have the time to get them properly formatted.

They were written by a man named Lankford, who took an interest in the case. I believe however, his last article was over ten years ago. These articles included some thoughts from Angie's family.

I have also contacted the police department to request the release of any casefiles that they may be able to make public. I haven't heard back about this yet, but it's only been a couple days. Honestly don't have a lot of hope anything useful will come of it, but I wanted to try.

Next year will mark 40 years since Angie went missing, and as time goes by, there are fewer and fewer people who were alive when this happened, and probably fewer leads that could be developed. There's always hope, but there's no time like the present to remind people that Angie is still out there.

I will add something I don't think has been mentioned here. Richard Bare murdered and attempted to hide a woman in the same area around the same time. He has never been recaptured to stand trial after escaping from incarceration in Wilkes. His mugshot looks similar to the composite sketch provided by the woman who saw a man with Angie at the Tastee Freeze.

The rumor among people in Ashe county a couple years ago was that he was still visiting his mother in disguise every so often. I'm not sure if she's still alive anymore.

Richard Bare - Unsolved Mysteries
Unsolved: Murder at Jumping Off Place

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen