Warren Jeffs to return to Schleicher County TX to face charges

They are doing updates on HLN and IS. I've heard Mike Watkiss, Beth Karas, and Lindsay Whitehurst so far this morning.

42 of the potential jurors excused this am for hardship, so the rest of the 200 that were called this am are filling out questionaires.

The defense asked for a 180 day continuance this morning, but Judge Walther said no.

I've heard there won't be cameras there.

I wonder if any members are planning on attending some of the trial?

He has sent out an "edict" that they should not attend nor follow anything on the internet about his trial because it's all bogus....:floorlaugh:

IMO, the legislatures of UT/AZ are major players in the LDS/FLDS game because that's where the laws originate. in UT 80% of the legislators are LDS and they are the grandsons/great-grandsons of old-school polygs. they can't/won't disrespect their heritage by enacting tough laws against polygamy (and making sure that existing laws are being enforced)

each state decides on a code of conduct for its residents which is why laws re alcohol/tobacco vary so much. alcohol/toabcco sales provide mucho dinero to UT so those sales are tolerated

there is no lottery in UT because the LDS church is against it; I can't place an online bet in the Kentucky Derby because the LDS church is against it

polygamy is a reward promised in the LDS afterlife. if the LDS church was truly against polygamy, it wouldn't exist. just like gambling doesn't exist

I hope Texas prosecutors will nail him to the cross. I hope he has to go to prison for the rest of his miserable life and never feels the sun on his face again. He is pure evil.

They are NOT part of the original Church of LDS, or Mormons. The Mormons stopped practicing polygamy over 100 years ago. This Fundamentalist branch is just an offshoot, but nothing like the Mormon churches around here. There is an LDS church not far from where I live, in a nice section of town. It is not a compound, and the members dress and look like you or me. They don't wear those 1890's style dresses or all wear the same (godawful) harido. You wouldn't be able to tell them from a Baptist or Methodist.

^ and all the members in good standing who look just like you or me are promised polygamy as a reward in the afterlife: each worthy male will be given his own planet which he is to populate w/ the plural wives given to him

knowing about this tenet of mainstream mormonism helps to explain why the FLDS exists w/ infrequent interference from LE: whether by being born to it or by conversion to it, there is a pervasive mindset in favor of polygamy. for many members, it's their past (what their ancestors did) and for all members, it's their future (their goal in the afterlife)

and actually, the FLDS is living the original teachings and the current mainstream LDS church is an offshoot living by an alteration of the original tenets of Joseph Smith. polygamy was renounced solely for political reasons after a nearly 40-year battle to gain Statehood, leaving us w/ a living/breathing remnant of what happens when you mix politics and religion

one sect promotes better PR than the other one, is all

Defense: Polygamist leaders' religious rights were violated

While stating his case, Walpole gave the first public hint of Jeffs' planned defense, saying "my client's right to practice religion as he sees fit is in jeopardy."

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas...s-religious-rights-were-violated-1654906.html

that argument is so irritating.

their religion says nothing about what age the wife should be when they marry them. there's no reason they couldn't marry an 18 year old, instead of a 12 or 15 year old. :maddening:

Jury selection continues in polygamist leader's trial

http://www.azfamily.com/video/?id=126174353&sec=507207

Mike Watkiss reporting: jury selection continues. up also this week is a motion for change of venue, and a motion for suppression of evidence....he says there is possibly an audio recording of one of the sexual assaults (around the 2:00 mark)

lwhitehurst Lindsay Whitehurst
Fascinating, contentious morning of jury selection. Defense asking long involved questions, prosecution objecting #WarrenJeffs #polygamy
12 minutes ago

I heard the trial will be televised on trutv. Is this true? If so..... how can I find a link to watch online (while working) TIA

District Judge Barbara Walther on Wednesday ruled against polygamous sect leader Warren Jeffs, who sought to suppress evidence seized three years ago during a massive raid at the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints ranch in Eldorado, Texas.

Walther said she will hear arguments on Thursday as to whether jurors can hear about a cache of evidence seized when Jeffs was arrested in Nevada in 2006 while riding in a Cadillac Escalade with a brother and favorite wife.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52271986-78/evidence-jeffs-search-warrant.html.csp

Is he being tried in San Angelo? I am jumoing around here.

I heard the trial will be televised on trutv. Is this true? If so..... how can I find a link to watch online (while working) TIA
"San Angelo, Texas -A jury of 10 women and 2 men, along with one male and one female alternate, was picked just before 9 p.m. ET Tuesday. The court hasn't sworn in the jury. Tomorrow at 2 p.m. ET, the defense will argue a motion to suppress evidence. This will likely involve testimony by several witnesses and could be lengthy. Opening statements will follow the suppression hearing and any other matters. The judge denied In Session's request to allow cameras in the courtroom, but In Session's producers and correspondents are in the courtroom to bring you all the details."

Link: http://insession.blogs.cnn.com/

gosanangelo GoSanAngelo.com
#Warrenjeffs has just told judge he wants to let his counsel go, represent himself. #FLDS

Prosecution in #WarrenJeffs case seems OK w letting him represent himself, wants judge to start the legal warnings necessary @sltrib
5 minutes ago »

#WarrenJeffs: attorneys did not have "full knowledge of the facts," had different ideas about how to represent him
6 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/search/#warrenjeffs

Jeffs asks court for permission to represent himself, remove all lawyers

Warren Jeffs, in a protracted speech in open court, told 51st District Judge Barbara Walther he wishes to discharge all his lawyers and represent himself.

"My release of counsel has been with great thought. I stand before the court for true justice to be served, for truth to be presented in a way that entails the knowledge thereof," Jeffs said, standing before the bench.

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2011/jul/28/jury-to-hear-opening-statements-in-jeffs-trial/

Katy_Vine Katy Vine
Judge will allow evidence from escalade in #warrenjeffs case.
35 seconds ago

Katy Vine
Katy_Vine Katy Vine
Judge will allow #warrenjeffs to represent himself. Jury was sworn in 15 min ago. Break for lunch.
1 minute ago
»
GoSanAngelo.com
gosanangelo GoSanAngelo.com
Jury sworn in. Lunch break until 2:30p.m. #WarrenJeffs
1 minute ago

opening statements to begin in #WarrenJeffs trial abt 2:30 CST. Jeffs said nothing when asked for plea; judge entered not guilty @sltrib
2 minutes ago

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unimog