Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #2 *P. Hernandez guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
ramos is getting out this november. now is a better time than ever for etan to be found!

Snipped

The niece of the new suspect in the Etan Patz disappearance has corroborated claims that he raped her when she was a child, law enforcement sources say.

Snipped

The FBI searched in vain for the niece but early this week found her, and she corroborated the ex-wife’s allegation, the sources said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...-patz-suspect-article-1.1066535#ixzz1sy8VVysA
Good find. Mr. Othneil Miller's status as a person of interest just solidified if the niece is telling the truth.

Ok, that article answers one question... Why his sister didn't notice Etan wasn't at school. They went to different schools.

It also clearly and unambiguously states that the Patz' are NOT suspects. Not that most of us needed to read that.

What a sad article about what his little brother went through...''although not quite 3, he toilet trained himself overnight. The toddler began dressing himself in Etan's clothes and would eat only the foods Etan liked to eat. He climbed into the top bunk where Etan had slept.

"on his 7th birthday...he went through an incredible sense of relief that he'd made it through that dangerous year"

"He imagines his brother dead and promises his parents that he will look at every gravestone in the world until he finds Etan's name..."

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...&dq=etan+patz+when+will+we+smiled+again&hl=en

Snipped

The niece of the new suspect in the Etan Patz disappearance has corroborated claims that he raped her when she was a child, law enforcement sources say.

Snipped

The FBI searched in vain for the niece but early this week found her, and she corroborated the ex-wife’s allegation, the sources said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...-patz-suspect-article-1.1066535#ixzz1sy8VVysA

This does not sit very well with me. I know they stated, (As of where I left off on my own research, nothing was found) but this makes me feel we need to look at this guy deeper..

Goz

An interesting article with recommendations for readers who would like to delve into good books which are fictional treatments of cases like Etan's.:

Etan Patz and the anguish of the missing child: A reading list (New York Post)
---
While the [non-fiction] book on this particular crime remains Lisa Cohen's "After Etan: The Missing Child Case That Held America," all the books [five are suggested] are fiction. Nevertheless, they deal with those who prey upon youth with a pathos that might as well be real.
---

Snipped

“I will not comment on what anonymous sources claim without accountability,” Michael Farkas said. “I have no idea if this is accurate or not and it is despicable that information continues to leak in what is supposed to be a professional investigation.”

Snipped

“It’s not over till it’s over,” Patz’s disappointed dad, Stan, said after the search was called off.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...-patz-suspect-article-1.1066535#ixzz1syejiLCZ

Quoting from Another New Yorker's April 22 Post, # 509:

The entrance to the basement is via a set of steep outdoor stairs with a small wrought iron fence around them, which juts out into the sidewalk.
At the foot of these stairs is a door, which opens into a small vestibule.

Great photo (third photo down) at this blog of the entrance and steep stairs Another New Yorker described:

http://newyorkdailyphoto.com/nydppress/?p=7899

Interesting blog piece by Lisa R. Cohen on the "Women in Crime Ink" site about the Jewish aspects of the Patz case.
From 2009:
---
Etan's uncle was a renowned rabbi who headed up a large suburban N.J. congregation. Early in the case, authorities learned Rabbi Patz took dozens of children on an annual summer trip to an Israeli kibbutz. The rumors ran wild - a family rift over religious differences? Maybe Uncle Norman had spirited Etan to Israel to bring him up more devoutly?

It was a ridiculous notion, not the least because Uncle Norman was a reform rabbi. But the Israel angle resurfaced repeatedly, after a mysterious photograph of Etan, taken by Stan Patz himself, surfaced in an Israeli magazine a few years after the boy disappeared. An even more bizarre twist? The picture's caption read "Etan Ben Haim" (Etan, Son of Life). No one could ever figure out how or why that photo appeared.
---
the rest here: http://womenincrimeink.blogspot.com/2009/11/jew-in-st-lou.html

In many of the things I've read which mention her, Etan's sister has been described as sensitive and enigmatic; pity the lead agent in the case chose the approach he did in interviewing her:
---
Etan’s sister, Shira, however, “shut down” under the agent’s direct interview style, the official familiar with the investigation said. The F.B.I. considers her potentially an important witness because they believe that if Etan ever offered any hint of inappropriate advances by Mr. Ramos or other adults in the days preceding his disappearance, Shira might know.
---
Though the article's already been posted on Thread #1, it's certainly worth a read-through if one hasn't already:

Missing Child Case in SoHo, All but Closed, Was Revived by a New Agent (New York Times)

I find all this very strange that this latest tip should cause all these policemen and FBI to turn out to a place to search that they found nothing.

I don't feel like I can comment on this too much, because I was only tiny when it happened and have only come to my judgement after reading from the posts and links to articles on here.

Why would you do this search in the public eye - this is something that could well have been done on the quiet - police in plain clothing - building vans etc. To me just seems very strange and to put these poor parents through this in the public spotlight again.

Rarely is anyone ever "entirely exonerated". However, in keeping with Websleuths Terms of Service...a family is ALWAYS considered VICTIMS. Unless they are specifically named suspects or persons of interest, or there are extreme circumstances obviously leading that way, we never sleuth the family.

However, that does not mean that you can't discuss them as they relate to the facts of the case.

If there are any further questions from anyone about this, please PM a moderator directly.

Thank you for this statement, and for reinforcing the stability and appropriateness of this website and board. This is one more reason why I continue to post here. And thus it should be, families should always be considered victims until stated above otherwise.

I have followed this case for years. The Patzes have been through more than any family ever needs to endure. They are victims more than any of us will ever know.

What a sad article about what his little brother went through...''although not quite 3, he toilet trained himself overnight. The toddler began dressing himself in Etan's clothes and would eat only the foods Etan liked to eat. He climbed into the top bunk where Etan had slept.

"on his 7th birthday...he went through an incredible sense of relief that he'd made it through that dangerous year"

"He imagines his brother dead and promises his parents that he will look at every gravestone in the world until he finds Etan's name..."

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...&dq=etan+patz+when+will+we+smiled+again&hl=en

I couldn't read that article without getting tears in my eyes.

I think so often the siblings of missing/murdered children are forgotten when we look at these cases. At least I know sometimes I don't even stop to contemplate the full impact of the catastrophic pain they must endure.

Overnight, their life as they know it is changed forever. We see adults that can barely manage to deal with that but I can't imagine being a child and going through that---it makes me so sad for them both.

Bless them both. :(

I'd like to know more about the Israeli magazine that carried the picture of Etan. Does anyone know the name of it? Did it accompany a story?

I'd like to know more about the Israeli magazine that carried the picture of Etan. Does anyone know the name of it? Did it accompany a story?
In 1981 a New Yorker visiting Jerusalem was taken aback to see a photo of Etan in a Romanian-magazine called called Revista Mea that she happened to pick up while having her hair done at Dolly's Hair Salon in Jerusalem. Even more remarkable the photo, found in a regular "family photo album" feature, bore the name Etan Ben-Haim, which in Hebrew means "son of life." The picture purported to be from Kiryat Bialik, a small working-class city near Haifa.
from Lisa R. Cohen's book "After Etan: The Missing Child Case That Held America Captive."

I am not sure if this article has already been posted, but, obviously I felt it relevant to post again.

Poor man. :(

I salute you, Detective William Butler.

22.1n004.Detective3--300x300.jpg

Lead sleuth’s torment ended in suicide

Every day at 7:30 a.m., the lead detective in the search for Etan Patz retraced the 6-year-old’s steps from Prince Street to the West Broadway bus stop — desperate for any clues in the riveting case that ultimately consumed his life

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/lead_sleuth_torment_ended_in_suicide_4cM82hCgh9tIGSbI7aXkLM#ixzz1t0u262zX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj