GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but the other chicco seats are 22lb Max. Do we know for a fact he was in the chicco key fit 30?

We don't know for a fact he was actually strapped into the car seat. He was on the pavement when police arrived at the scene.

JMO

I think he wasn't strapped in because it would be impossible with the straps in that position. The abrasions and scratches could be from not being strapped in. He was on the pavement when cops arrived.

JMO

The scratches & abrasions were not post mortem from the pavement. Those physical signs were part of the data utilized by the ME in presenting the preliminary MOD as homicide. There is a huge visual difference in pre-mortem and post mortem injuries, especially on the face. More than likely they represent some of the desperate actions taken by this child during his gradual death.:tantrum:

Stoddard said Ross Harris had dropped off Cooper at day care six of the last nine work days, indicating it was part of his normal routine.

http://mdjonline.com/view/full_stor...pears-in-court-at-1-30?instance=breaking_news

Stoddard said the car seat would have been only six inches behind the vehicle’s front seat, and Cooper Harris was actually too tall for the seat’s regulations.

“The head was clearly visible,” Stoddard said.

While Stoddard said he heard Harris tell his wife at police headquarters that Cooper looked “peaceful” when he died — after admitting to her that he “dreaded how he would look” — Stoddard said Cooper’s body was stiff and parts of his face “discolored” in a graphic description of what he said the body really looked like.

Pretty sure I read about this from one of the random reddit pages I was checking out. The father cried and had to be put on watch, crying constantly during the procedings. It doesn't excuse what he did, but I think living with the fact you neglected your child and let him essentially melt to death in a car over a period of 7 hours is something jail isn't necessary for.

What he should do is approve a vasectomy and be unable to adopt, possibly removing himself of child custody while he undergoes treatment. I have never had a friend with a child forget about their responsibility, but it's my opinion treatment should be the option along with never being allowed to be unsupervised with kids again. I couldn't imagine forgetting my child, but it appears to me he doesn't need jail to be miserable over what he has done, and I doubt that he ever forgives himself.
:seeya:

If you are referring to Thursday's hearing, the dad did NOT cry during the whole thing. I watched the hearing and dad didn't cry until his lawyer likely told him to show some emotion,. UGH imoo
+

The scratches & abrasions were not post mortem from the pavement. Those physical signs were part of the data utilized by the ME in presenting the preliminary MOD as homicide. There is a huge visual difference in pre-mortem and post mortem injuries, especially on the face. More than likely they represent some of the desperate actions taken by this child during his gradual death.:tantrum:
Ugh. I have to agree with this. They would know if they were post mortem or not. He was long dead when they removed him from the car.

I was listening to some lawyer on the radio, that the fact the seat was a rear facing seat, that works in RH favor, didn't bring up the fact that Cooper's head was above it. That is a rather small SUV, RH is a big man, his seat must have to go back really far to drive, whether the car seat is facing front or rear he would see the car seat. When Ross got out of the car and slammed the door, I'm sure Cooper was screaming for him, like any kid alone in the car would, unless Ross said to him, I'' be right back.

Right now we don't know that JRH backed up into the parking spot - the detective's wording is unclear. In fact, it sounds more like he parked forward, meaning the rear-facing Cooper would be more visible to people walking by (although the rear windows appear tinted).

"Harris passes a parking space, backs the vehicle up several feet and then pulls into a parking space near the back of the lot." (BBM)

http://www.kfbk.com/articles/nation...rked-near-back-of-lot-12533087/#ixzz36ozaS2Jn

Where did I state in my post that the scratches and abrasions were post mortem? I think they came from not being strapped into the car seat and the child's dying struggle.

JMO

Hmm-I am not sure that is true. He showed very little emotion at the bail hearing, which had to be the longest bail hearing in the history of the US btw. Bio mom showed very little either except when sexting came up. His complete lack of appropriate emotion during the interview, the overwhelming smell of the vehicle, his investigation of hot car deaths, his sexting, the smaller tight car seat, the life insurance policies, his visit to his car in the middle of the day...these seem to be signs of premeditation and I have to believe if there is any chance at justice, bio dad will be doing serious jail time. As well as anyone else involved. To murder your child is appalling. To murder your child in such a way...there is little you can do imvho to prove that you should be permitted to have the freedom of society.
right on believe!
bumping to share with others.

la_cavalière;10715891 said:
Right now we don't know that JRH backed up into the parking spot - the detective's wording is unclear. In fact, it sounds more like he parked forward, meaning the rear-facing Cooper would be more visible to people walking by (although the rear windows appear tinted).

"Harris passes a parking space, backs the vehicle up several feet and then pulls into a parking space near the back of the lot." (BBM)

http://www.kfbk.com/articles/nation...rked-near-back-of-lot-12533087/#ixzz36ozaS2Jn

There are cameras in that parking lot.

I went out at lunch today at 1pm, got in my car and thought man it's flipping hot in here. Turned on car and it was registering 101 in my parking spot outside. I was near a building and I know that makes it hotter. The first thing I thought of was little Cooper and what he must have went through. This case really gets me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

la_cavalière;10715891 said:

How could he be more visible? He got there after and left before the rest of the workforce. If he is near the back of the lot, not many people to see Cooper in those hours.

MODS can we have a seperate thread for car seat general info such as recommended weight, height etc.

We don't know for a fact he was actually strapped into the car seat. He was on the pavement when police arrived at the scene.

JMO

BBM: while you state the term, "We", in full truth, "they" as in those investigating this death, DO know if Cooper was strapped in. The development of livor mortis will show the pressure points & blood pooling. Given that the child was described by a witness as " resembling a seated child" (paraphrasing) while on the pavement/ground, Cooper was well into the death process.
It is my opinion that testimony will show he was secured in the car seat & that testimony will be graphic, inclusive of both physical signs on the decedent & the purge that probably surprised JRH as he removed Cooper's body.

Yep, THESE are the types of cases that effect all MEs but we can't really show that to the "world" :gaah:

I know. My question, did we know for fact he was in a chicco key fit 30. Chicco has several infant seats.

I think testimony was that the father was aware of the specific model of the car seat and proper installation and yet the straps were in the wrong position and the child was too tall for it. So it really doesn't matter to me which model it was, because the father intentionally violated the state statute for child restraints.

JMO

Although I use my mirrors in traffic I always look behind me when backing up in a parking lot. There is just too much activity to keep track of because you not only have to worry about vehicles, but also pedestrians. Plus, it is safe to look behind you in a P.L. as you can stop your vehicle before doing so, something you cannot do on the freeway going 65 MPH.

I cannot imagine that I am unique in that.
IMO, you are certainly not unique in that, chlban. Even when I had just learned to drive -- I have never neglected to turn around to look out the back windshield when I back out of our driveway, back out of a parking slot, etc., etc. Always and until this day -- I don't trust my outside or rear view mirrors. I'm too afraid of backing into something or someone...

Not only that, but when our son was that age, he either slept solidly in the car seat (on long trips, especially) or he babbled and talked non-stop from the minute he was in the car until he was out of it -- and he really didn't stop then. Most 22-month olds babble & talk as our son did, especially in that type setting -- even a shy child would talk since a very familiar person was the only one in the car. The toddler usually has a pretty good vocabulary and can put thoughts together pretty well and can carry on a decent conversation -- or they at least try!!

If the trip to the day-care was that routine, seems to me he would have talked about what they were going to do that day, or just asked question after question, etc., etc., etc. And wouldn't that child have screamed at the top of his lungs when daddy just walked away in the work parking lot?? Even someone with only one hearing ear should have heard it. A work p.l. shouldn't be that noisy, IMO. Mine wasn't...

Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member