The jury - VERDICT IS IN! GUILTY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jury finds Coleman eligible for the DP, sentencing begins Monday!

ETA:
nickpistor: Jury finds Coleman eligible for death penalty #colemantrial #stl

I have a question about the penalty phase, sorry if this has been covered. I wish more than anything that he would get the death penalty, but I don't understand why they are even going after it. From what I understand, the governor has said he will commute all death sentences to life, even death sentences that are handed down for crimes that occurred before the law changed. So why go to the expense and trouble of going after the death penalty?

I think it had to do with the defense being able to use the remaining funds in the Illinois Capital Litigation Fund. It was about the money.

It is interesting, though, that if one juror had argued that he wasn't DP-eligible, the sentence would automatically have been LWOP.

It is interesting, though, that if one juror had argued that he wasn't DP-eligible, the sentence would automatically have been LWOP.

I think there are two aggravating factors that I can think of:
2-children were murdered.

Another might be that the children witnessed the murder of a family member and were in the house and within hearing distance of the murder.

Edit: Here is a link to Prosecutor talking about qualifying factors
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_1cd3070e-77e2-11e0-8230-001a4bcf6878.html

Hello UbCrazy2,

Thanks for the article.. It said this:

>>The jury had to consider if prosecutors proved one of three factors to make Coleman eligible for the death penalty: that the crime involved more than one death, or that it involved children under age of 12, or that it was cold-blooded and pre-meditated.

They quickly agreed that Coleman was eligible.

Coleman appeared dejected as Parkinson described the brutal nature of the crime. The prosecutor described the ligature marks around the necks of Sheri Coleman, 31, and their two sons, Garett, 11, and Gavin, 9, ...<<

All you have to do is read the list of 3 to see that CC is eligible for death. I could add to that list, someone who works so hard to try to pull off a hoax to do 3 murders and try to pull the wool over the eyes of society (creating email address of Phantom, writing fake threats, taking his wife to the alter as if he actually wanted prayer for his marriage a week or so before while house hunting with his girl and naming their children, calling his neighbor to check on the family and find them dead when he knew he had murdered them, lying during interrogation, thumping his arm on a gurney... ). Those things on top of everything else (not to mention pleading "not guilty" and putting innocents in a jury through watching what he did) kinda makes for a special jettisoned to death penalty and sudden injection, doesn't it?

Doesn't Chris deserve some type of special something for what he did? Oh and did I mention for adding insult to injury by putting the markers he did on those precious peoples' graves... Yes, Chris deserves something special.

This took me by surprise! I followed the case diligently when it first broke but then it seemed to be in a holding pattern for so long. I had no clue trial was underway. Every time I checked the thread, it just showed lawsuits by Joyce Ministries, or whatever. So I thought the trial was a long time away and stopped looking after awhile!

Needless to say, I'm very pleased. Wish there would have been cameras to catch Coleman's face as the verdict was read. He disgusts me.

@who knew? ........

It appears to me, from FB postings earlier today - they believed he was innocent and would be home in time for Mother's Day. And you hit the nail on the head about thinking God was serving them. One post from about an hour before the verdict came in stated that they knew God was going to show up today "in a BIG way!"

He sure did - and justice was served.[/QUOTE

Is the FB page private? I tried searching for it but cannot find it

Sorry - just logging in for the first time this busy, busy day...
I'm from the area the Coleman family lives in and have a few Coleman cousins as FB friends from previous relationships (worked with one for a few years, know another from similar social circles in HS, etc) -- a job I had in college put me in a position where I saw Ron and Connie every so often - so I know of the family from a semi-distance.

While I was somewhat surprised they didn't reach a verdict earlier yesterday, it is good that they were very thorough with their deliberations, and I definitely believe they reached the correct verdict.

Finally there is some justice for Sheri, Garrett and Gavin.
:rose:

MOO

Today was a good day for justice. Bless Sheri and her beautiful boys...and may her family find some peace in the verdict.

I agree. I really hope this can help their family begin to heal....

Wonder if Chris will continue with his cockiness (AKA OJ) and write a book - IF I did it...........

It would not surprise me one bit but somehow he would have religion twined in there somehow. I am not sure what the exact definition of the term sociopath is but from what I think I understand he fits the bill.

Why do you think the jury deliberated as long as it did?

How do you feel about the guilty verdict?

Do you think they will hand down a death penalty?

1. One news reporter said there was one juror holding out. Sorry I can't find link. Also, my opinion is that the jury wanted to be thorough, since the evidence was all circumstantial, albeit overwhelming.

2. This was the right verdict. I would have been sick if he walked out a free man. But it doesn't bring back Sheri or those beautiful boys.

3. Yes, but the gov will commute the sentence to LWOP. I'm sorry that taxpayers will have to support this guy for the rest of his life, but more importantly, he won't be walking among us.

Sheri hoped to “convert” Tara to a life of faith and service, but it was Tara that converted Chris to a life of “being bad.” I think Tara was Chris strength to rebel...the threat letters calling Meyer a “hypocrite” were Chris venting at his employer, and the values he’d been raised with, the “goody-two-shoes” wife...everything that kept him, to his mind, caged in. Not free.

Hi, stmarysmead. Most of your post was insightful, but I have to respectfully disagree with some of what you wrote. I don't think Tara, as bad as she is, had to convert Chris to the dark side. He was already there. You mentioned the "values he'd been raised with." IMO, he was raised in an atmosphere of entitlement and religious hypocrisy. He thought that calling Myers a hypocrite (posing as a stalker) would stick because he already felt that way, and figured others did too. Even though he clearly saw the hypocrisy, it didn't bother him. He still wanted that lifestyle because the material and other advantages. Because of the feeling of entitlement, he thought he would get away with it.

The reason I feel he was raised in such an atmosphere is the actions and attitudes of his brothers. Especially Brad thinking he could get away with threatening a witness at the trial. He sort of did get away with it. Also there is the unwavering support of the parents in the face of overwhelming evidence that their son is guilty. Even after the convictions, Brad told the press, "He's still innocent in our eyes." IMO, this family knows he's guilty, but thinks that being religious should somehow exempt him from punishment. That's the way they raised their boys.

It's too late for Chris, but the rest of the Coleman family should go home and rethink their lives.

I think you make a great point, Mr. Fixit. I was astounded when the Defense tried to argue that Chris had to be innocent because of whom his parents were. There is no job profession that is exempt from producing evil spawn.(my opinion of Chris)

The argument reeked of arrogance and entitlement you describe.

Whether one calls himself a "pastor" or a "carnival barker", as the Bible says, it's not titles but actions that are how they define themselves...and how we will "know them"...one from another.

if there is no death penalty in Illinois ..what are they arguing?

I was stuck in the Nancy Cooper murder trial and only read the media articles concerning this trial.

I so appreciate the guilty x3 verdict. I did follow the case in the beginning and for a very long time. Justice for Sherri and her precious boys has been done. The sad part is that nothing will bring them back.

GB Sherri's family and friends!

Hi, stmarysmead. Most of your post was insightful, but I have to respectfully disagree with some of what you wrote. I don't think Tara, as bad as she is, had to convert Chris to the dark side. He was already there. You mentioned the "values he'd been raised with." IMO, he was raised in an atmosphere of entitlement and religious hypocrisy. He thought that calling Myers a hypocrite (posing as a stalker) would stick because he already felt that way, and figured others did too. Even though he clearly saw the hypocrisy, it didn't bother him. He still wanted that lifestyle because the material and other advantages. Because of the feeling of entitlement, he thought he would get away with it.

The reason I feel he was raised in such an atmosphere is the actions and attitudes of his brothers. Especially Brad thinking he could get away with threatening a witness at the trial. He sort of did get away with it. Also there is the unwavering support of the parents in the face of overwhelming evidence that their son is guilty. Even after the convictions, Brad told the press, "He's still innocent in our eyes." IMO, this family knows he's guilty, but thinks that being religious should somehow exempt him from punishment. That's the way they raised their boys.

It's too late for Chris, but the rest of the Coleman family should go home and rethink their lives.

I think you are right, CC did feel entitled. Remember how he told Sheri that she and the kids were keeping him from his destiny? He probably felt that he had asked he about divorce, she refused to give him one, so he could do whatever he wanted to fulfill his "destiny." Since he is all about himself, he felt justified in his actions, as sick as that is.

Palomine... There still is a death penalty in Illinois until July 1st. However the Governor has said he will commute any death penalties imposed between now & then. Some legislators are extremely upset with him for doing a mass commute of sentences without reviewing each case, and this case is HUGE for warranting the DP. Let's hope they do convince him not to spare CC, but I doubt it.

Good Morning all! Had a self-imposed timeout from the internet the last few days... but today is a Great Day for a Death Sentence!!! I am most looking forward to the statements by the Coleman family on why CC should be spared. An article in the paper in the last days quoted one of the brothers as saying "He's still innocent in our eyes". Seriously??? After sitting through all the testimony, viewing photos of Sheri, Garett & Gavin's dead bodies how can they still say this? It's sickening! Today should be interesting to say the least.

I wish we could have read the closing arguments. The media seemed to indicate that the Prosecution argued that Coleman felt "trapped" between a promise of marriage to Tara and a stubborn wife...and that led to murder.

But the "threats" began barely a week after Tara "changed his life." He didn't even give getting a divorce a chance before he set in plan his murder plot. Why the death threats if he had any plan to end the marriage the conventional way? No, I think he needed to be rid of those children too.

To me, this is very compelling re: the death penalty.

I wish we could have read the closing arguments. The media seemed to indicate that the Prosecution argued that Coleman felt "trapped" between a promise of marriage to Tara and a stubborn wife...and that led to murder.

But the "threats" began barely a week after Tara "changed his life." He didn't even give getting a divorce a chance before he set in plan his murder plot. Why the death threats if he had any plan to end the marriage the conventional way? No, I think he needed to be rid of those children too.

To me, this is very compelling re: the death penalty.

-
very good points. I think he likely had several "plans"...murder being one of them....

-
very good points. I think he likely had several "plans"...murder being one of them....

And who is to say that Tara isn't the one who gave him the idea to start with, thereby "changing his life" in a twinkling? His plans certainly seem to have started right away in their "relationship" (hard to even type that).

ETA: I feel fairly sure that there were plenty of other loose women who were available to "change his life" in the position he was in ( on the road most of the time) but maybe, just maybe, only ONE proposed such a thorough solution that he could live with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48