GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish they would let the Wake County Assistant District Attorney Adam Moyers and Wake County Assistant District Attorney Jeff Cruden handle this case. I watched the Samuel Copper Trial (my very first trial) , the Copper trial, Young trial and the Cook trial and as far as I am concerned these 2 guys are top notch. The pros in the Bradley Copper trial did not have thier act together it was like watching the desperate housewives of Cary. It was all I could do to bring myself to watch it. Anybody else have any views on Pros. in Wake Co?

Jason Waller & Amy Fitzhugh are also good WC prosecutors and would do well here.

I will disagree with you on the BC trial. I think the prosecutors, BZ in particular, played that court and the judge (specifically) VERY WELL. I also think BZ engaged in less than ethical behavior/arguments to secure a conviction and that BC will get a new trial in part because of it. BUT, there's another forum for that ;)

LA has a brother too. Is he older or younger? Half or Whole brother?

Yes, JA (lives in the Raleigh area). He is 5 yrs older and a half brother. Laura is the only child between her mother and RA....the only child of her mother, period, as far as I can tell.

So,

RA+first wife = 3 children: EA (sister), HA (sister), JA (brother)
RA+ second wife = 1 child: LA

Seeing their names on the indictments, it may be that the ADAs will be Boz Zellinger... Becky Holt

Yes, the actual prosecuting attorney(s) appear in the indictment. Holt was the initial SA assigned, now BZ is onboard as well. BZ didn't have to put his name on the indictment (only one pros needed)...not sure if this means one to each indictee, or that DA is not so sure BH will handle this in the long run for whatever reason.

Who will be the judge in this thing? And will there be two trials? What's common in this type of thing? I have no idea.

Now that they are indicted, the case shift from District to Superior. Could be any of the 5 assigned to WC superior, depends on the calendar. Yes, there would probably be distinct 2 trials - but its likely only 1 because AH will strike a plea deal IMO. I don't think GH's current public defender is DP-qualified, so that will change.

Patience, patience. It will probably take about 18 months or so before things start to happen...

Step 1 will be the hearing if the DA goes for the death penalty. This could occur anywhere from a month to six months depending... Now that they have been indicted, the probable cause hearings will likely be scrapped (as the DA only need either an indictment or judge ruling on probable cause - indictment is preferred, and they got it). Yes, probably 18 months before it goes to trial and it will, because LA's family wants the DP. I don't see the DA striking a deal with GH (or AH if she was an active participant).

[LINK TO ACTUAL INDICTMENT]

Thanks, JRB!
-- I agree with your opinion that AH will plead to lesser and rat-out GH. She might not be likely to do that today, but after a few weeks/months of Wake County Jail hospitality, she will probably wake up and realize that she does matter (if GH had done a job on her ego, as he did to LA's); and that she is no longer in a pod with GH, and her atty. will probably encourage her to plea out & testify for the State. She doesn't need to cover his azz in this thing at the expense of her own. Plead what, JRB -- 2ndDM? Accessory? I hope the plea with be something with meat & hair in it...

And yeah, until other preliminaries and a homicide status hearing are done, we won't know for sure who is defending whom, and who the judge will be. Some of them are former prosecutors and some are former defenders -- it'll be interesting. And it's wa-a-ay early,huh?

It might be that BH gets/takes AH since sometimes the female/female bond is helpful, and that her role would be less heavy. She certainly hasn't had time to redeem herself from her less than adequate (IMO) performance as 1st chair in the Young trial....

And with indictments, a p/cause hearing is moot.

Let's get on with it!!! Poor Laura needs us to speak for her. :maddening::justice::gavel:

I know this is OT. However, I received a jury summons for Aug. 24. Is there anyway to look up the District Court schedule in Raleigh to see what is on tap for that day?

Many thanks!

I wish they would let the Wake County Assistant District Attorney Adam Moyers and Wake County Assistant District Attorney Jeff Cruden handle this case. I watched the Samuel Copper Trial (my very first trial) , the Copper trial, Young trial and the Cook trial and as far as I am concerned these 2 guys are top notch. The pros in the Bradley Copper trial did not have thier act together it was like watching the desperate housewives of Cary. It was all I could do to bring myself to watch it. Anybody else have any views on Pros. in Wake Co?

I haven't seen Moyers in action, so I can't offer an opinion of him. All I know is that he is (or was) on the Special Victims rotation, and not the Superior Ct. rotation, but obviously they can be assigned to any case.

I did see Cruden (Probably Cause rotation) in action in the Cook case (was it?) and he did a good job there -- even tho the verdict was Fel. DBVehicle instead of 2ndDM which it certainly should have been, IMO. Another case where the jurors didn't understand two basis legal definitions: "malice" and "mischief." Mmmmmpffff. Good defense team at Cook's table, to say the least. Money does help...

And the Cooper ADAs brought the case home, so I can't complain about the ADA team on that one....OTOH, the Young case was wa-a-a-ay different...

Anyway, looks like we've got Boz and Holt, so we'll have to wait & see. High stakes, as usual...
icon8.gif

This doesn't affect the case, but its something I am wondering about: Does AH get to visit with her baby while she is in jail? She's only 2 months old, right? What if AH was breastfeeding, and isn't it important for the baby to bond with her mother?

I'm not asking this because I feel bad for AH, but because I'm thinking about this poor infant. Thanks to anyone who might know the answers, or might want to speculate.

Based on the indictment I do believe they are going after the death penalty and I doubt that AH loves GH enought to take a needle for him or even with him!

Yep, she'll flip. And when she does, she'll be glad she's locked up safely. Altho GH is behind bars as well, he still might have some dedicated friends on the outside....

And on the Elmer interview, Elmer is simply saying what she and her mother wanted the public to hear. Can't blame them, really. Surely by that time, reality was setting in, and she probably had realized that she was now in her own little canoe, so she was trying to paddle it the best way she knew how. No pity on my part, but she is also a victim of this degenerate, narcissistic and controlling rotten egg, IMO. :loser:
icon8.gif

Seeing their names on the indictments, it may be that the ADAs will be Boz Zellinger -- a quick-thinking, smart, in-your-face-when-necessary ADA, as we remember from the Brad Cooper trial and conviction; and Becky Holt, who is sharp and smart but has a slo-o-ow and um-er-ah delivery, as several of us will remember from the Jason Young mistrial.

Who will be the judge in this thing? And will there be two trials? What's common in this type of thing? I have no idea.

Patience, patience. It will probably take about 18 months or so before things start to happen...

Oh BornDem, I'm impatient too with this case. I guess it's a little more 'exotic' than our usual run of the mill murder cases. I hope Boz is first chair in this case, I am still having huge negative feelings toward BH and I know I shouldn't. Came away from the JY trial just wanting to slap some fire into her.
I have said this before and may say it a thousand times before I die but the two lead prosecutors in the CA trial absolutely spoiled me. JA especially--that man was nothing less than brilliant. Actually, I think I'm in love with him :) Judge BP in that case won my heart over very early too. He knows case law like the back of his hand. I just wish Wake County could produce a trio like those three to prosecute each of these domestic murder cases. And it seems the docket is going to always be filled with this type of murder case in Wake County. Just don't know what's wrong with these men who think murder is the easy way out.

I watched each minute of the Cooper trial and gained 7 pounds! When it was all said and done, even with a guilty verdict, I came away from that case feeling the prosecution placed much too much importance on what the friends and gossipy neighbors said and felt. Howard Cummings nearly did me in with his slow demeanor and all of his ers, ahms, ums, etc. I liked Boz and his staccato way of firing questions to the witnesses. I just like that style of questioning much, much better than the slow style of HC and BH.

I haven't seen Moyers in action, so I can't offer an opinion of him. All I know is that he is (or was) on the Special Victims rotation, and not the Superior Ct. rotation, but obviously they can be assigned to any case.

I did see Cruden (Probably Cause rotation) in action in the Cook case (was it?) and he did a good job there -- even tho the verdict was Fel. DBVehicle instead of 2ndDM which it certainly should have been, IMO. Another case where the jurors didn't understand two basis legal definitions: "malice" and "mischief." Mmmmmpffff. Good defense team at Cook's table, to say the least. Money does help...

And the Cooper ADAs brought the case home, so I can't complain about the ADA team on that one....OTOH, the Young case was wa-a-a-ay different...

Anyway, looks like we've got Boz and Holt, so we'll have to wait & see. High stakes, as usual...
icon8.gif

I was thinking Cruden was on the Cook/ballerina case too. He and the other ADA were somewhat low key but made their points well.
My friend in the AG's office still hasn't called me back so I'm thinking her vacation was a cruise or something very special out of the country.

This doesn't affect the case, but its something I am wondering about: Does AH get to visit with her baby while she is in jail? She's only 2 months old, right? What if AH was breastfeeding, and isn't it important for the baby to bond with her mother?

I'm not asking this because I feel bad for AH, but because I'm thinking about this poor infant. Thanks to anyone who might know the answers, or might want to speculate.

I am not certain about the jail rules and regulations at the Wake County jail but normally children under a certain age are not allowed for visits. Prisons are different and children are allowed visitation.
Don't know if she was nursing the baby but if AH is found guilty of any part of this murder the bonding issue will be moot. Actually, it probably already is with respect to her age when this is all over and done with....even if AH is found not guilty. I think part of the reason this case pulls me is because of that weeks-old baby when the crime was committed. I just can't for the life of me understand what AH was thinking ....... unless she was on drugs and incapable of thinking. And I do think both were on drugs, have felt that way since this story broke.

The Hayes’ remain locked up in the Wake County Public Safety Center without bond. Their next court date has not been set. James Freeman, an attorney with the Wake County Public Defender’s Office, has been assigned to represent Grant Hayes. Due to a conflict of interest, the court appointed Raleigh lawyer Hart Miles to represent Amanda Hayes.

Kulpa said the Hayes’ will most likely have their next court date scheduled this week by Wake County Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens on the docket reserved exclusively for homicide status hearings.​
[LINK]

"Conflict of Interest"....applicable when co-defendants have adversarial positions/agendas.

Hart Miles (former WC ADA/named as one of North Carolina's Legal Elite) is also with the federal public defenders office for ENC, a different entity from WCPD office.

http://hartmiles.com

wow...AH certainly got the better end of that deal.

Oh BornDem, I'm impatient too with this case. I guess it's a little more 'exotic' than our usual run of the mill murder cases. I hope Boz is first chair in this case, I am still having huge negative feelings toward BH and I know I shouldn't. Came away from the JY trial just wanting to slap some fire into her.
I have said this before and may say it a thousand times before I die but the two lead prosecutors in the CA trial absolutely spoiled me. JA especially--that man was nothing less than brilliant. Actually, I think I'm in love with him :) Judge BP in that case won my heart over very early too. He knows case law like the back of his hand. I just wish Wake County could produce a trio like those three to prosecute each of these domestic murder cases. And it seems the docket is going to always be filled with this type of murder case in Wake County. Just don't know what's wrong with these men who think murder is the easy way out.

East, I can't disagree with hardly anything you just said. I thought Judge JP was very astute as you did, and I very much liked his easy manner, and throughout he he didn't miss a trick day in, day out. With much respect, I thought he was cute as a button! My little deviation from your musing is in one teeny-tiny deee-tail. I didn't fall in love with JA, altho I did think he was amazing and effective (of course the jury just must have slept thru all that he asked & said). But IMO, I really think in that case, the fore-person led the rest of the jurors down a yellow brick road. Still unbelievable to me. And yes, JA was a true standout. First-class good.

Anyhoo, as for the Young fl-l-l-l-lop & fiasco, while BH was over in her corner blowing it every minute (IMO) and totally failing <thud> at the super-duper opportunity in her x-exam of JLY,:maddening: I somehow developed a little crush-let on Judge S.
icon11.gif
.. He's a bit older than I am, but an itty-bitty crush is still an itty-bitty crush.... (Kinda like yours, I guess...)

And that, my fellow WSer, is the name o' that tune!...How 'bout us??!!
icon10.gif

I was thinking Cruden was on the Cook/ballerina case too. He and the other ADA were somewhat low key but made their points well.
My friend in the AG's office still hasn't called me back so I'm thinking her vacation was a cruise or something very special out of the country.

Yes, I agree -- I thought it was Cruden (I think that is what I said in my post???) who handled the Cook case where the doctor was dr-r-r-runk and speeding and rear-ended that pretty and talented young woman straight to the Pearly Gates, bless her. Just pure tragedy. Again.

Anyway it will be interesting to see what your friend has to say.
icon7.gif

WOW! Be sure to tell them you're on WebSleuths and you can be fair and impartial.

:giggle::noooo:..:laughcry:......:websleuther:.......:denied::lol:

As are we all....:angel:
:floorlaugh:

East, I can't disagree with hardly anything you just said. I thought Judge JP was very astute as you did, and I very much liked his easy manner, and throughout he he didn't miss a trick day in, day out. With much respect, I thought he was cute as a button! My little deviation from your musing is in one teeny-tiny deee-tail. I didn't fall in love with JA, altho I did think he was amazing and effective (of course the jury just must have slept thru all that he asked & said). But IMO, I really think in that case, the fore-person led the rest of the jurors down a yellow brick road. Still unbelievable to me. And yes, JA was a true standout. First-class good.

Anyhoo, as for the Young fl-l-l-l-lop & fiasco, while BH was over in her corner blowing it every minute (IMO) and totally failing <thud> at the super-duper opportunity in her x-exam of JLY,:maddening: I somehow developed a little crush-let on Judge S.
icon11.gif
.. He's a bit older than I am, but an itty-bitty crush is still an itty-bitty crush.... (Kinda like yours, I guess...)

And that, my fellow WSer, is the name o' that tune!...How 'bout us??!!
icon10.gif

LOL, love your thoughts! Those itty bitty crushes are fun aren't they--can't think of anybody out of Hollywood since Gregory Peck that I have been so absorbed by. With Jeff Ashton I was able to equate a brilliant mind with ultimate sexuality. And I'm OLD--way too old to be having thoughts like this!
I grew up without my father and grandfathers--sadly, each died at a very young age. I found myself daily wishing Judge Belvin Perry was my grandpappy--although I'm probably older than even he is. I just love that man and his wisdom... and would love to sit at his knee and just listen to him talk about his life experiences with him sharing his wisdom and thoughts on everything from the law to religion. I am afraid this never-ending CA saga may eventually do him in though. Too much stress, too many mistakes all around, too many unethical defense lawyers, too much of everything negative in that case.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/08/09/1401898/investigators-woman-likely-was.html

They searched a Glenwood Avenue storage unit at least once and combed the victim's Ford Focus.

Investigators think that at least one of the Hayeses killed Ackerson in North Carolina and hacked her body into pieces. They say the remains were placed in several large coolers and loaded into a rented U-Haul trailer that was reportedly seen near the Secure Care Self Storage at 7012 Glenwood Avenue.

Investigators have seized bathroom plumbing, hair and debris from a drain, carpet and padding, a toilet brush, a towel, wash cloths, dryer lint, a box of trash bags, cigarette boxes, carpet, padding, a canvass CD case, bed sheets, pillows, a comforter, a vacuum and broom. They also have seized a camcorder, laptop computer and miscellaneous documents.

On one search, they seized a brush label.

http://www2.nbc17.com/news/2011/aug...3/?referer=None&shorturl=http://bit.ly/pkM2nu

Based on this evidence, including household item from 4021-322 Bella Park Trail in Raleigh, North Carolina, and the totality of the investigation, it appears Laura Ackerson was likely murdered and dismembered inside the residence” at Bella Park Trail.

I can't believe nobody heard anything in an apartment complex. When I lived in an apt they lady living the floor below me would hit her broom on the ceiling whenever my toddler ran or jumped across the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge