CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/19/wooden-cross-could-provide-break-in-ridgeway-case/

“Looking at it, again, it’s unique, and we feel or believe that it may have been dropped or left behind by the killer,” Trevor Materasso with Westminster police said.

This IMO sounds like it wasn't posed or staged, but may have been left ACCIDENTLY by the killer, which is great news IMO. If he chose to leave it, it might be that he doesn't think anyone would recognize it as his, but if it was an accident, someone may recognize it quickly.

I don't know. Maybe I am the one who is confused. Aren't the two sketches that have been posted a few times what they think the attempted assault guy looks like? Maybe I am wrong about that.

Those are of the "Candy Man" who attempted to lure young boys with candy. No indication that I know of that they are related to the Ketner attempts. MOO

Could the lines on the cross be made by the killer and indicate the number of victims? Sort of like notches on the gun belt seen in cowboy western movies.

That was my thinking too. Like a running tally. Maybe he has more than one cross (I noticed the one on amazon was only selling for a dollar something, so would be cheap to buy in bulk), and is planning on putting the tally on a cross and leaving it at each scene as a taunt.

I'm thinking possibly the attempted rape victim at Ketner Lake remembers seeing this unique cross on her attacker and that's why they are seeking a connection. And also why they are asking the public for help identifying this cross and it's owner. If the attacker noticed maybe other people in the killer's everyday life did as well. I sure hope so!!

Is it possible that the victim at Ketner Lake was wearing the cross and he took it with him as a souvenir/trophy and then left it with either the backpack or with her body?

How did we get to police absolutely believing these two crimes are linked? This is what I read that was in the Denver articles.

The quote is by the Public Info Officer (Trevor M.) and he's talking about the wooden cross:

"We believe it's going to help confirm or rule that these cases are not connected or potentially connected. Police want to see if there's a connection between the cross and an attempted abduction at Ketner Lake"

I'm Catholic and I have never seen a cross with etchings and zigzags like the one pictured.

This IMO sounds like it wasn't posed or staged, but may have been left ACCIDENTLY by the killer, which is great news IMO. If he chose to leave it, it might be that he doesn't think anyone would recognize it as his, but if it was an accident, someone may recognize it quickly.

I hope that is the case. That would mean that he would have wiped it for prints/ DNA because he wasn't expecting it to be left and found. I imagine you give it a good cleaning before leaving it behind intentionally.

Sorry folks, I suppose I just come from a forum background with a different way of doing things, that emphasizes different ways of maximizing the overall dialogue quality. If you say that approach (encouraging people to read) is not workable here. I'll let it be. I'll also kill my sig next time I'm on my real PC.

Meanwhile, if anyone is also following the Whitney/Oregon/Starbucks case, sounds like major find, presser at 10pm local.

I think a balance of the 2 things is acceptable. I agree with you that it is good form to attempt as much as possible to read back instead of just diving in.

Is it possible that the victim at Ketner Lake was wearing the cross and he took it with him as a souvenir/trophy and then left it with either the backpack or with her body?

then i would think they would KNOW the 2 cases are connected since the cross is so unique. they would know where the victim purchased the cross so need to ask for information about this, etc. so IMO i don't think this is it.

How did we get to police absolutely believing these two crimes are linked? This is what I read that was in the Denver articles.

The quote is by the Public Info Officer (Trevor M.) and he's talking about the wooden cross:

"We believe it's going to help confirm or rule that these cases are not connected or potentially connected."

Madeleine, there are several articles linked in the thread. Namely, the abc article says that
1) the cross was found during the Jessica case at a crime scene
2) they want to know about the cross in connection/conjunction with the physical description of the May attack

It is due to the way the information has been grouped together and presented and is logical speculation imhoo

They have DNA!!!! Great news. I thought they probably did but now I feel certain they do. Hooray!!!!

I was speculating as to how the woman in May might have seen this cross on the perp. It does not look like it has been on a chain or key ring. So if it was in pocket, how did she see it? Makes sense that it could be hers and the perp took it but then why would le be interested in shops that sell similar crosses?

I'm only going by the official Trevor M. quote, not the media's interpretation of what they learned or a grouping of several media articles. To me it sounds like police want to determine if there is a link between the prior abduction case and the Jessica case and if this particular cross links them (or not). There might be a link, or there might not be a link. They aren't sure so they are reaching out to see if anyone recognizes this cross.

Late to the threads tonight...........I have worried about this cross.......I cannot really type what I have thought of....is it possible this was left with the body somehow? Maybe you can read between the lines of this thought...only problem is I cannot get it to connect with the other abduction case....if it was "placed" (shudder) with JR what connection does it have to the other case.

In your scenario, wouldn't the person to whom the cross belonged (the 22 year old runner) be aware of its origin and the WPD wouldn't seek information about the sale of the cross? Just sayin'

Someone has probably said this, but I'm watching the PC about it and I guess they could have found it in the backpack. He says it was found at one of the crime scenes and he comes tantalizingly close to saying they are confident it is a part of Jessica's investigation (but he doesn't specifically say it).

Those are of the "Candy Man" who attempted to lure young boys with candy. No indication that I know of that they are related to the Ketner attempts. MOO

Thank you Jax for clearing that up. I misunderstood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get