Found Deceased Canada - May Milling, 81, Jasper, AB, 2 Sept 2010

RubyRed

"Keep on Truckin"
Reaction score
Breaking News: Missing Senior

41012_128892667158087_100001120622920_153940_3675023_n.jpg

81 Year old May Milling has gone missing and your help is needed in trying to locate her. RCMP say she left Jasper on Thursday morning on her way to meet a friend in Kamloops but never arrived. Police were contacted this morning and detachments from Jasper to Kamloops along with the RCMP Helicopter are searching for the elderly lady and the vehicle she was driving.​

Police say she has not turned on her cell phone and for her not to arrive at her destination is uncommon. If you have any information that may be of assistance or have seen the senior or the vehicle please call Jasper RCMP at 780-852-4848​

Fears over missing senior

RCMP have not been able to locate her vehicle, even though it is equipped with OnStar.

Sgt. Patrick Webb, spokesperson for the Alberta RCMP, said cops have been unable to get a signal from Milling’s OnStar or her cellphone.

“We have gone past the electronic tracking, we are now onto the physical search,” said Webb.

That includes a ground and aerial search of the highway between Jasper and Kamloops.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/alberta/2010/09/04/15249526.html

Maybe her car is under water or something is blocking the antenna so the onstar signal can't be read.

Anyone else know why onstar might not work?

Maybe her car is under water or something is blocking the antenna so the onstar signal can't be read.

Anyone else know why onstar might not work?

If the vehicle battery has been disconnected then on-star will not operate. The following is a quote from on-star

" YOUR CAR HAS TO HAVE A WORKING ELECTRICAL SYSTEM (INCLUDING ADEQUATE BATTERY POWER) FOR THE OnStar Equipment TO OPERATE."

If the vehicle battery has been disconnected then on-star will not operate. The following is a quote from on-star

" YOUR CAR HAS TO HAVE A WORKING ELECTRICAL SYSTEM (INCLUDING ADEQUATE BATTERY POWER) FOR THE OnStar Equipment TO OPERATE."

that leaves a huge list of possibles open. I just hope its not a violent one.

If the car went over one of the many cliffs the battery could have disconnected on impact and could be a long time before she is found.

I think they need to get volunteers to do sections of the highway and very slowly follow her route looking for broken branches, tire marks in a ditch, skid marks on the road, broken guardrails etc.

Could she have made a stop anywhere along the route from Jasper to Kamloops?

Such as stopping to get gas at a service station or getting something to eat at a restaurant?

If she did stop at a gas station or restaurant, it could have security cameras and give LE an idea where she was last seen and where along her route she went missing.

If the car went over one of the many cliffs the battery could have disconnected on impact and could be a long time before she is found.

I had a minor fender bender one year ago. No injuries just some bent metal but the impact was sufficient that the other vehicle a 1/2 ton truck the battery broke loose from the cable. I think on-star should consider a dedicated backup battery, probably nothing more than a typical cell phone battery would work and keep the system active for several hours after a crash.

I had a minor fender bender one year ago. No injuries just some bent metal but the impact was sufficient that the other vehicle a 1/2 ton truck the battery broke loose from the cable. I think on-star should consider a dedicated backup battery, probably nothing more than a typical cell phone battery would work and keep the system active for several hours after a crash.

Could she have made a stop anywhere along the route from Jasper to Kamloops?

Such as stopping to get gas at a service station or getting something to eat at a restaurant?

If she did stop at a gas station or restaurant, it could have security cameras and give LE an idea where she was last seen and where along her route she went missing.

She was last seen Wednesday morning around 8:15 a.m. in Jasper when she said goodbye to some friends as Jober’s Cottage, a bed and breakfast she has been frequenting for the last 10 years.

“She was in good spirits and her car was gassed up,” said Gerry Jober, owner of Jober’s Cottage.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/alberta/2010/09/04/15249526.html

Thanks for the map. Some parts of the route look quite steep. I turned on the pictures on google maps and saw some photos of the road with very steep inclines and no guard rails. I pray she didn't go over the side of the road along the way. I wonder what the foliage is like in that area now and how difficult it would be for a helicopter to spot her car.

The friend of a missing senior who was last seen leaving a Jasper bed and breakfast is starting to believe the worst has happened.

“It’s really hard for all of us,” Jenny John, of Kamloops, said Monday.

May Milling, 81, was reported missing Wednesday after she left Jasper in her blue 2009 Buick Lucerne to visit John in Kamloops. She never arrived.

RCMP spent days searching the Yellowhead Highway by ground and air, to no avail. John said police even checked at hotels between Jasper and Kamloops but no one has seen Milling.

“There’s nothing. Nothing,” she said, adding police have promised to check the route again.

“She had food with her, and water, but she would have had to stop for a bathroom break somewhere.”

John has two scenarios about what might have happened to her friend. She said Milling might have swerved to avoid an animal on the road and ended up in a ditch or suffered a heart attack.

She said Milling, who lives in Gibsons, has a heart condition and requires medication, but had enough for the duration of her trip.

Milling left Gibsons Aug. 26 and headed to Grand Forks, Radium, Banff and then on to Jasper. It’s a journey she makes annually.

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/...OPS01/friend-of-missing-woman-fears-the-worst

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back