GUILTY NY - Abdifatah Mohamud, 10, bludgeoned to death, Buffalo, 17 April 2012

Wanting2Help

Reaction score
A ten-year-old boy's brutal death at the hands of his stepfather could have been avoided after it was revealed the boy called 911 twice in the past year to report abuse.

The 40-year-old admitted tying up his son's hands, tying him to a chair, sticking a sock in his mouth before duct-taping it shut and then beating him with a rolling pin. He said it was the first time he ever harmed the boy.

An autopsy found he had been struck 70 times

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eat-death-rolling-pin-week.html#ixzz1tEwApkxQ

I just want to scream in frustration and rage. A lot of ordinary, caring parents worry that some bad-intentioned person will make an anonymous call to CPS, just to get them in trouble, or that a bruise from a fall might be interpreted as abuse by teachers, and that somehow their kids will be illegitimately taken from them. Yet when the child himself repeatedly reaches out for help, he is not protected??

This is so wrong and heartbreaking. I don't even know where to begin to address these things. Because we all know that we only found out about this because the boy died and that there are countless others being tortured still.

Help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That neighbor who he went to for protection must be. . .I mean, I just don't think I could stand it.

This just breaks my heart. Yes, CPS workers have a tough job but they still need to do their job. This boy was let down by his mother, teachers, LE, CPS, so many.

Big man had to tie the hands of a ten year old, tie him to a chair in order to hit him 70 times with a weapon - big man... Too bad this boy's mother wasn't able to get this guy tied and into a chair, she might have needed the equalizer of a rolling pin but she didn't.

Had the early reports of abuse not been true, it would have been sorted out later and this boy still alive. We have to start protecting our children - they are all our children.

Why is the mother not arrested? She should be charged with murder also, may they both rot in a prison cell. So many chances to help this little guy, he cried out for help and was ignored. Rip little man, you will fear no more.

This just breaks my heart. Yes, CPS workers have a tough job but they still need to do their job. This boy was let down by his mother, teachers, LE, CPS, so many.

Big man had to tie the hands of a ten year old, tie him to a chair in order to hit him 70 times with a weapon - big man... Too bad this boy's mother wasn't able to get this guy tied and into a chair, she might have needed the equalizer of a rolling pin but she didn't.

Had the early reports of abuse not been true, it would have been sorted out later and this boy still alive. We have to start protecting our children - they are all our children.

The thing is, the LEO who responded to the 911 call told CPS. After he showed up bruised at school - even though the story was somewhat credible - CPS still investigated. They did what they were supposed to do. This is totally on the murderer, the mother (who I agree should be charged) and the morons at CPS who were flat out told about the abuse multiple times and did nothing.

I hope the prisoners use a rolling pin on the stepdad when they find out what he did.

And people wonder why I have issues with CPS.

This makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. I can't even read the whole article.

What is WRONG with the system????????? Don't people CARE??

The thing is, the LEO who responded to the 911 call told CPS. After he showed up bruised at school - even though the story was somewhat credible - CPS still investigated. They did what they were supposed to do. This is totally on the murderer, the mother (who I agree should be charged) and the morons at CPS who were flat out told about the abuse multiple times and did nothing.

Maybe I just watch too many TV shows where cops respond to these calls, report it to CPS but see nothing happen to help the boy. They know the signs, and want to mentor this kid. If the stories were untrue, then the boy still had some kind of problem. Can these cops wash their hands of the incident when it is passed on? We have members here who have posted reporting abuse over and over again how they have reported neighbors and/or relatives. I agree that the murderer and mother and CPS screwed up. Somewhere, there is LE who responded to the calls saying, if I had only... among others like neighbors and teachers. Like I said, these are all our children.

Somehow the child welfare system is not functioning. When I was in foster care, the case worker would pick me up every six months and take me to court. There would be a judge, a lawyer for me and a lawyer for (I am assuming) my parents. My parents were never there, but I think they had to be advised of the hearing by law. The judge would ask me if I was being adequately cared for by my foster family. I said yes. Ok, next case. In my case, I was VERY well cared for plus I was 15 years old, but it always struck me that if the court expected a straight answer out of a very scared 4 or 5 year old, they were probably not going to get it. It seemed like some sort of legal courtesy that didn't mean anything. I wonder how many children stood there and said they were well cared for when in fact, they were not.

The same holds true when police or CPS come knocking and asking the child (in his own home) if everything is ok. How many children would have the nerve to say NO, I am being abused!? If they would have come knocking on my door when I was a child, there was no way I would have had the guts to admit I was being abused while standing in my own home. No way. For most kids, it becomes an obsession to keep the secret. Abusive parents drill this into their victims constantly.

It's important that children are believed, but you can't expect them to tell the truth when the truth could get them punished in ways most of us only see in our nightmares.

I just want to scream in frustration and rage. A lot of ordinary, caring parents worry that some bad-intentioned person will make an anonymous call to CPS, just to get them in trouble, or that a bruise from a fall might be interpreted as abuse by teachers, and that somehow their kids will be illegitimately taken from them. Yet when the child himself repeatedly reaches out for help, he is not protected??

This is so wrong and heartbreaking. I don't even know where to begin to address these things. Because we all know that we only found out about this because the boy died and that there are countless others being tortured still.

Help?

Well I have been put in that situation,when I moved into my new house my neighbour didn't like that it was just me and the 2kids living there.now bare in mind im turning 26 and not a teenager or anything she decided to phone social services (CPS) and fabricate a story to get me evicted.luckily enough they realised that she had made it all up and took it no further.some people have nothing better to do and funnily enough I get on with my other neighbours and they said she did the exact same with the girl that used to live in my house and the poor girl left within 4weeks cause she felt uncomfortable.

Anyway back on topic....

It must have taken so much courage for that little guy to call the cops in the first place I just don't get why it was brushed off my CPS.
I hope dad (and I use that term loosely here) gets exactly what he gave out.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

That poor baby must have heard the public service announcements and seen the flyers, all saying if you're being hurt, tell someone, tell an adult, tell the police, call 911, and you'll be helped. How terrifying it must have been to try time and time again and not be believed. I can't help wondering if everyone was trying to be politically correct, not wanting to step on any cultural issues, because the family was from Somalia. And I'm not blaming the neighbor, but I would have handled something like that differently. I would have taken the kid to the police, or if he had signs of injury, to the hospital and had them call the police. I would never have released him to the guy the kid said he was afraid of. To be fair, tho, in this society had she done that, she might have been charged with kidnapping. Horrible all the way around.

Maybe I just watch too many TV shows where cops respond to these calls, report it to CPS but see nothing happen to help the boy. They know the signs, and want to mentor this kid. If the stories were untrue, then the boy still had some kind of problem. Can these cops wash their hands of the incident when it is passed on? We have members here who have posted reporting abuse over and over again how they have reported neighbors and/or relatives. I agree that the murderer and mother and CPS screwed up. Somewhere, there is LE who responded to the calls saying, if I had only... among others like neighbors and teachers. Like I said, these are all our children.

I don't think it happens like that in real life. The cops don't see how the story turns out most of the time. They call in CPS and trust that the people who investigate will get to the bottom of things. It is not the first responder's job to find out the whole truth of the matter in a few minutes. They are answering a 911 call and making sure everyone is safe right now. Then they get called to the next person. There is no way they can go back to every single call they respond to and find out how it turned out.

About a year ago I interviewed to be a 911 dispatcher. I didn't end up taking the job b/c of the hours, but I did take the tests and got to sit on the floor and listen to calls for several hours. One of the things I talked about with the woman I was observing is how hard it is when you are on the phone with someone at the worst moment of their life, verbally holding their hand through it while trying to get them help as fast as possible, and then never knowing what happened. They usually don't even know if the person lived or died.

This is on CPS. It is their job to investigate and act.

I am disgusted beyond words!

Look at that handsome face and that beautiful smile. WHY? WHY did this happen??

I hope CPS, school officials and that neighbor can sleep at night. How could SO many people fail him??

He was in fear for his life and called, not once but twice. That is huge for an abuse victim to do.

I'm sick to my stomach after reading this..

Yet another example of CPS dropping the ball. I have seriously lost count of the number of cases where they failed to their job. How much more can we take?

That poor baby must have heard the public service announcements and seen the flyers, all saying if you're being hurt, tell someone, tell an adult, tell the police, call 911, and you'll be helped. How terrifying it must have been to try time and time again and not be believed. I can't help wondering if everyone was trying to be politically correct, not wanting to step on any cultural issues, because the family was from Somalia. And I'm not blaming the neighbor, but I would have handled something like that differently. I would have taken the kid to the police, or if he had signs of injury, to the hospital and had them call the police. I would never have released him to the guy the kid said he was afraid of. To be fair, tho, in this society had she done that, she might have been charged with kidnapping. Horrible all the way around.

Probably you are right about their not being legally permitted to take him somewhere, but if they had called 911 right away, maybe that could have been a way to intervene.

Read about this last night on another site and cried. How does this even happen ??

That neighbor who he went to for protection must be. . .I mean, I just don't think I could stand it.

I can attest to the fact that you could not stand it. The what ifs, the nightmares, the regrets, all of it is torture. :twocents:

BBM

Your comments are so true and heartbreaking. He was reaching out for help (HOW MANY kids have the ability to take that step?) and was ignored.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back