KY KY - Kevin Gilpin, 18, Russell County, 2 April 1997

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
Here is the cold case of Kevin...

Kevin was reported missing after he was dropped off by his father on Old Columbia road in Campbellsville, Kentucky. His father dropped him off on April 2, 1997.

Kevin's remains were found June 18, 2003 in a well. A group of Amish bought the farmhouse in June of 2003, that is when Kevin was discovered. This farmhouse is located in Casey County.

Kevin's remains were identified in August 2003 by DNA testing. A DNA sample was provided by his mother.

Here are some links;

They are missed.org

Kevin's photo from "They are missed" website;

A200300873W_1021.jpg

Tiny's story

KSP

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Is there anyone in the area who has heard anything on this case?

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Is there anyone here from the area that has seen any news?

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I wonder if the 'friend' who impersonated him has been questioned extensively.

Just a question. The Original post states that he was dropped off in Campellsville, but the KSP site states that it was Russell Springs -- which is the county seat of Russell County. Casey County is the immediate neighboring county to the north. Campbellsville is the county seat of Taylor county to the imediate west of Casey County. (The They are Missed site says they have nothing to do there -- and THIS IS the town where last years Miss USA was born and raised. HMMMM -- neither here nor there but it does give you an idea of what entertainment is around here.)

You know, I lived only an hour away from Russell Springs, and even had ball games and such there. I don't remember this ever being reported on or anything. If it was it was only after he was found. I just searched one newspaper website, and there is only a story on his being buried after he was identified. It states nothing but he was found and they are investigatging leads. It has to be purchased, and I don't keep credit cards so I can't.

Around here, unless there is an arrest in this case, there will not be any more news. The news around here usually doesn't bring these back up without something major happening.

As to the friend, the story said he told his grandmother that because he was worried that the stress was hurting her health. I don't know how plausible that is, but I think if he cared enough about grandma to do that then he'd tell something if he knew it. Either that or someone has him over the proverbial barrel too.

Just a question. The Original post states that he was dropped off in Campellsville, but the KSP site states that it was Russell Springs -- which is the county seat of Russell County. Casey County is the immediate neighboring county to the north. Campbellsville is the county seat of Taylor county to the imediate west of Casey County. (The They are Missed site says they have nothing to do there -- and THIS IS the town where last years Miss USA was born and raised. HMMMM -- neither here nor there but it does give you an idea of what entertainment is around here.)

You know, I lived only an hour away from Russell Springs, and even had ball games and such there. I don't remember this ever being reported on or anything. If it was it was only after he was found. I just searched one newspaper website, and there is only a story on his being buried after he was identified. It states nothing but he was found and they are investigatging leads. It has to be purchased, and I don't keep credit cards so I can't.

Around here, unless there is an arrest in this case, there will not be any more news. The news around here usually doesn't bring these back up without something major happening.

As to the friend, the story said he told his grandmother that because he was worried that the stress was hurting her health. I don't know how plausible that is, but I think if he cared enough about grandma to do that then he'd tell something if he knew it. Either that or someone has him over the proverbial barrel too.
Dear Kygal,:)
I want to thank-you so much for your post. I truly appreciate the time you took to read here and post. Please remember this thread in case you hear anything at all or find an article in the future.

All of my Respect to you,
dark_shadows

Dear fellow Websleuthers,
I really wish that someone would check deeper into the friend who made the phone call to Kevin's grandmother.
My heart tells me that the person knows what happened to Kevin.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I'm guessing the answers lie within the crowd he was running with at the time.

I live in one of these small towns too and I can just imagine that if LE was to go back in there and start asking questions, many of the locals have heard something. Probably alot of rumors, but I'll bet there are answers too.

Wonder who owned the farm prior to the Amish folks?

Wonder if it was just vacant?

I'm guessing the answers lie within the crowd he was running with at the time.

I live in one of these small towns too and I can just imagine that if LE was to go back in there and start asking questions, many of the locals have heard something. Probably alot of rumors, but I'll bet there are answers too.

Wonder who owned the farm prior to the Amish folks?

Wonder if it was just vacant?
Dear LisainWV,:blowkiss:
Maybe Kevin was a follower and wanted to be with the "in crowd". The "in crowd" preyed upon him. A friend of mine was friends with a girl whose brother was killed by his so called friends. Peer pressure.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

DS, could have happened. I read in some of this info that he was very quiet.

Small towns can be brutal!!

I agree with you both. I wonder if there may have been some sort of clue in the well they found him in. The Amish family that bought the farm have sealed it because of it's past. I don't know but I doubt they'll allow them to open it for their religion-based reasons.

I'm guessing that the "friend" that called the grandmother really was trying to put the grandmother at ease. Even if he did know something, the police won't go over it again. I believe that it was about something going on in his life (don't know what, but Meth is a biggie around here), and he was killed for it. Perhaps not even intentionally, but it happened.

The property he was found on was a HUGE farm that no one has lived on in many years -- most of the winter it is used for hunting deer and such. The Amish family bought it to expand their farming in the area, and were planning to use the well when they found him.

I agree with you both. I wonder if there may have been some sort of clue in the well they found him in. The Amish family that bought the farm have sealed it because of it's past. I don't know but I doubt they'll allow them to open it for their religion-based reasons.

I'm guessing that the "friend" that called the grandmother really was trying to put the grandmother at ease. Even if he did know something, the police won't go over it again. I believe that it was about something going on in his life (don't know what, but Meth is a biggie around here), and he was killed for it. Perhaps not even intentionally, but it happened.

The property he was found on was a HUGE farm that no one has lived on in many years -- most of the winter it is used for hunting deer and such. The Amish family bought it to expand their farming in the area, and were planning to use the well when they found him.
Dear Kygal,:)
Thank-you for your post.
I have a feeling that the "friend" called the grandmother, not to put her at ease because he was worried about her health, it may have been a ploy to have the seach for Kevin cancelled. Everyone would believe that he left home on his own free will instead of being murdered. Why else would that kid call Kevin's grandmother saying that he was Kevin? That friend really needs to be looked at by LE.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I agree, but unless something else surfaces to make them, the LE won't retrace any of their steps. That's the way they are around here. They won't go back into things if they think it'll make them (or someone in their buddy system) look bad.

I suspect that if one wanted to have this crime solved, it would have been by now. There is a large undercurrent of drugs in that area (the lake there is a multi-state attraction) and I would suspect it highly possible that he got mixed up into something that went out of control. I suspect that someone local did it or else that farm would have been way too hard to find. Someone from outside the area would have dumped him in the lake, where'd it been hard enough to find for weeks or months. (Even drownings take weeks to find in some points of the lake -- the last one hasn't been found yet from early July.)

This is one of several cases locally where people have been killed and the killers never found. Seems like most murder cases here go unsolved and forgotten very quickly. There have actually been several murders within just miles of my house (including a family with three very small boys) and NONE of them have had anyone arrested for them.

Dark Shadows, I have to agree with you. My friend's mom received a similar mysterious call on the night that he was murdered. What better way to establish an alibi than to show that the victim is alive? John Edward Robinson made Paula Godfrey sign at least one piece of paper for later use. I'm sure it has occurred to others to do the same sort of thing.

Dark Shadows, I have to agree with you. My friend's mom received a similar mysterious call on the night that he was murdered. What better way to establish an alibi than to show that the victim is alive? John Edward Robinson made Paula Godfrey sign at least one piece of paper for later use. I'm sure it has occurred to others to do the same sort of thing.
Dear Bluecat,:)
Very nice to see you.
I want to also thank-you for taking the time to read this tragedy.
Much Respect,
dark_shadows

I agree, but unless something else surfaces to make them, the LE won't retrace any of their steps. That's the way they are around here. They won't go back into things if they think it'll make them (or someone in their buddy system) look bad.

I suspect that if one wanted to have this crime solved, it would have been by now. There is a large undercurrent of drugs in that area (the lake there is a multi-state attraction) and I would suspect it highly possible that he got mixed up into something that went out of control. I suspect that someone local did it or else that farm would have been way too hard to find. Someone from outside the area would have dumped him in the lake, where'd it been hard enough to find for weeks or months. (Even drownings take weeks to find in some points of the lake -- the last one hasn't been found yet from early July.)

This is one of several cases locally where people have been killed and the killers never found. Seems like most murder cases here go unsolved and forgotten very quickly. There have actually been several murders within just miles of my house (including a family with three very small boys) and NONE of them have had anyone arrested for them.
Dear swet Kygal,:blowkiss:
I appreciate your post very much. I am thankful that you make sure that you check in on Kevin's thread.

All of my Respect and Love to you,
dark_shadows

I wish that this case was solved. The "friend" who called Kevin's grandmother needs to be interviewed again by LE.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

A200300873W_1021.jpg

I look at his photo and cry. My heart cries.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Dear Kygal,:blowkiss:
Do you know where any other news articles are on this case?

All of my Respect and Love to you,
dark_shadows

I am new here, first post.

I am in the area, grew up in Casey County, now live one County over.
I remember when the body was found, and remember reading about it in the Casey County News. I didn't know until I got on here and did a search that they had identified the body.

I agree with the other Ky. poster about drugs in the area, and I do remmeber reading about other drug related deaths over the years.
One in particular was a young boy who had turned informant, and was murdered. I remember reading about the trial.

The problem with Local LE in this area is multidimensional. First of all anyone can be elected Sheriff, no experience or education required. Now, if you can imagine a farmer, recently elected Sheriff going out to investigate something like that. Another problem, everyone is related to or close friends with someone who knows someone etc. It is only the powerful who might have a chance getting something done.
Ky. State Police probably does a much better job than Local Law Enforcement, lets hope they were called in quickly.

Wish I could give a more encouraging report, but just stating the way I see it in this region.

I agree the one who made the phone call should be questioned, and perhaps given a Lie Detector Test.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back