IL IL - Chicago Tylenol Murders: 7 people dead from cyanide poisoning, 1982

Look at the sites for 1986 Tylenol and/or Cyanide incidents, think also of the 1982 Chicago Tylenol Murders, and compare to a map of Ted Kaczynski attacks as the Unabomber.

Auburn, Washington, Chicago, Illinois, Nashville, Tennessee, New Jersey - all Unabomber attack sites, all cyanide sites.

Ted cancelled an early 1986 visit from his brother, saying he would be traveling and looking for work in "warm weather states", setting it back to late September 1986, just the time that the 1986 incidents end, the last one being in New Jersey in early September 1986, a man killed by Cyanide in Lipton Cup a Soup.

1986_t10.jpg

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
unabom10.jpg

According to this article below in 1982 people in Colorado were poisoned after consuming OTC medications which contained mercury compounds. Was this done by the same man who put cyanide in Tylenol in Chicago at nearly the same time?

10_26_10.jpg

xxxxxx
10_26_11.jpg

This item found in Ted Kaczynski's effects indicates he purchased a pound of "MERCURY".

kaczyn39.jpg

Just as there were massive cyanide spills in Montana, which killed trees, elk, wildlife and contaminated well water, there have also been frequent mercury spills into rivers and lakes. Thus, there is a possible element of "poetic justice" in using the things that the technological industrial society has poisoned the natural world with to poison that society.

Colorado is also not that far from Montana.

One element of caution here, however, would be that if Ted did use mercury as a posion I doubt he would intentionally keep the receipt.

This map shows 1982 product poisoning incidents. Consider it in relation to Kaczynski's cabin in Montana and family home in suburban Chicago, Illinois.

sherid10.jpg

I'm not sure if it has already been answered, but... The Woolworth's in Yorktown mall was still open into the early 1990's. I went there as a kid & I am sure it was still open when I was in 7th grade, which would have been 1992. I think it may have been open even after that. I had an after school job at Ward's in 1996 and Woolworth's was right next to Wards & I think it was still open, even then.

I think, if I worked at Yorktown & had a headache that you have been the place I would have gone to to pick up medicine... She may have not even gotten a reciept. I left stores without reciepts many times...

In all the cases, I can think of, like this that were solved, as with Stella Nickell and Christiana Edmunds, the killer turned out to be someone who knew one of the victims. The other victims were just for cover. So, maybe police should concentrate on who would want one of the victims dead or gain from it.

I have read of the Tylenol Murders of 1982 and another one in 1986. Police profiled the person as someone who is angry at the world. I would not be surprised if Ted Kaczynski is the one behind it. Akwilks makes a very good case that Ted Kaczynski is indeed the Tylenol Poisoner. Kaczynski is truly an evil mastermind.

In all the cases, I can think of, like this that were solved, as with Stella Nickell and Christiana Edmunds, the killer turned out to be someone who knew one of the victims. The other victims were just for cover. So, maybe police should concentrate on who would want one of the victims dead or gain from it.

I remember Joseph Meling, the person who poisoned Sudafed in 1993. It was an insurance scam, like Stella Nickell. Christiana Edmunds was clearly crazy.

Christiana Edmunds
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christiana_Edmunds[/ame]

This is a very interesting case. There is a new book on it by Scott Bartz, entitled: “The Tylenol Mafia,” From what I have gathered, he sems to believe the perp was someone involved in the distribution system and Johnson & Johnson, along with Federal and local Law Enforcement engaged in a "cover up". He has a website (http://americanfraud.com/contact.aspx) that I can't say "makes the case" but does contain a lot of interesting information.

There was always a chance that this was really just a ploy to kill one specific target and the whole "mad poisoner" gamut was just a rouse. Supposeivly one victim (never identified) had had a violent confrontation with a family member shortly before his or her death. Apparently that avenue had been explored. The primary argument against the "targeted kill" theory is that all of the deaths occurred in a very short time period (less than 24 hours) and evidence suggests that the primary distribution of the tainted bottles occurred shortly before the first deaths.

There is the possibility that the "intended victim" never actually ingested the poison; perhaps hearing about other deaths and pitching their bottle before any was used. If this is the case, no one will ever know.

The generally accepted "prime suspected" James Lewis is almost certainly not the killer. He did write an extortion letter (in hopes of getting an enemy in a lot of trouble) but the evidence that he was in NYC at the time is pretty strong.

Ted Kaczynski has been suggested as a suspect. He has strong ties to the area and he is certainly a creepy guy and who knows what he is capable off. There is no evidence that he was in the Chicago area at the time and no evidence that he might engage in that type of terrorism.

Scott Bartz's favorite suspect is Roger Arnold who worked on the loading docks of one of the primary distributors of Tylenol in the Chicago area. He has been described as a "soldier of fortune type of guy." He fit the profile to a "t": a loner with anti social tendencies who had a menial job but thought he was real smart. He even bragged that had "possessed" cyanide at the height of the investigation. He was arrested and his apartment was searched. Many unlicensed guns, chemicals commonly used to make bombs and anarchist type literature, but no evidence of involvement. He later killed someone he thought "ratted him out". For whatever reason, LE has formally "ruled him out" while James Lewis has not been.

Just saw this again on 48 hours. But is this what can happen to a mother/daughter relationship. The daughter testified against her mother for $$$. Now even the granddaughter is estranged from the mother.

Soon it will be the 30th anniversary of the Tylenol Murders. The killer was dubbed by Time Magazine "The Tylenol Terrorist".

Nobody has been charged in the case.

Late at night on September 27, 1982 - the 13th anniversary of the Zodiac murders at Lake Berryessa, California - someone put cyanide inside Tylenol bottles.

Based on the research of Doug Oswell, myself AK Wilks and others, the FBI in 2011 asked Ted Kaczynski to give DNA. Ted refused. ABC News reported the FBI would seek a court order to get the DNA.

And that is the last we have heard.

It seems the 30th anniversary will come and go, with no suspect charged.

This is a shame.

WHY WON'T THE FBI FOLLOW UP AND ACTUALLY GET THE DNA OF TED KACZYNSKI?

Why won't the FBI follow through and get the DNA of Ted Kacyznski? What are they hiding from? Or is it just incompetence? Do they care?

PR exec Thomas Mosser who was murdered by Ted in 1994 did personally work on the 1982 Tylenol crisis.

Mosser did not have any computer, high tech or oil compant clients. Thus if he was selected it would seem likely IMO that it was his work for client Johnson & Johnson that caused him to be targeted.

If Ted won't give his DNA, I would at least hope that the FBI has gotten his brother David's DNA and run a comparison.

If Ted won't give his DNA, I would at least hope that the FBI has gotten his brother David's DNA and run a comparison.

You would hope so!

Unfortunately to my knowledge the FBI has NOT asked David to give DNA.

I personally asked David to give DNA so Ted could be included or excluded as a suspect in the Tylenol and Zodiac cases and David politely declined, stating that while he did not think Ted was guilty of either of those crimes, he did not want "to expose Ted to a possible death penalty."

Former Johnson & Johnson employee Scott Bartz of the website www.americanfraud.com has written a new book called THE TYLENOL MAFIA.

The book IMO confirms that the two cops were victims of cyanide poison by skin contact, this happened on late night September 27 early morning September 28, as they inspected boxes of Tylenol, spilled capsules and white powder. This is at the Howard Johnson in Elgin, Illinois, which is right of I-90, which is a highway that goes through Montana, to Sheridan Wyoming home of cyanide victim Jay Mitchell, and into Chicago. And coincidence or not, this is the 13th anniversarry of the Zodiac attack on September 27, 1969.

And while Scott doesn't think Ted did it, he does quote former Kaczynski attorney Robert Blazier:

"If you had to pick somebody that might be responsible for those particular offenses [Tylenol Murders], he [Kaczynski] is the logical person. He certainly has the technical know-how to come up with that kind of method for doing away with people."

In the well researched and fascinating book he accuses Johnson & Johnson, the FBI and Dupage County officials of a conspiracy and cover up of the 1982 Chicago are Tylenol Murders. He does NOT have a suspect as to who did the murders. He does think the killer likely introduced the tainted pills at a manufacturing plant or warehouse. Both Doug Oswell and I think the killer could be Ted Kaczynski and that he likely placed bottles with tainted pills on store shelves. The police and FBI also say that the killer placed the bottles at stores and they rule out the plant or warehouse theory.

I don't rule out the idea that Ted or someone else could have introduced the bottles with tainted pills at a plant or warehouse. Security was NOT tight at these facilities. But to me the evidence shows it was done at the stores. I have written about the names of the streets and cities of the stores selected as having nature, water, mountain, tree and wood references, matching the Kaczynski criminal signature as the Unabomber. But aside from that the geography of the tainted stores does NOT appear to be random as we would see with a factory placement. They appear to be aligned, consistent with a killer intentionally creating a shape/design on a map OR a killer proceeding in a logical straight line fashion on foot or by car or bus.

Keeping an open mind and accepting Bartz claim that Mary McFarland bought her fatal Tylenol at the Woolworth's at the Yorktown Center where she worked, and placing that on a map with the Kaczynski home and the tainted site at the Grove Mall in Elk Grove Village, the route shown does not appear random to me. Indeed and quite incredibly, the Yorktown Center and the Grove Mall appear to be in PERFECT ALIGNMENT VERTICALLY.

a_grov10.jpg

You would hope so!

Unfortunately to my knowledge the FBI has NOT asked David to give DNA.

I personally asked David to give DNA so Ted could be included or excluded as a suspect in the Tylenol and Zodiac cases and David politely declined, stating that while he did not think Ted was guilty of either of those crimes, he did not want "to expose Ted to a possible death penalty."

Trying to put myself in David's shoes........I'm way more committed to the concept of justice than I am to any of my family members. I don't know if that makes we weird or not.

If I really didn't think my brother was Zodiac or the Tylenol Killer, I would submit my DNA. The fact that he won't is potentially very telling. If Ted didn't do it, the DNA wouldn't "expose him to a possible death penalty" now, would it?!?!

I wish David would think about all of the victims (and their families) of Zodiac and the Tylenol Killer. They deserve justice. Justice has been denied for too long. We deserve the truth about who committed these crimes.

I don't even think Zodiac's murders would be death penalty offenses, if they all occurred before the Supreme Court briefly struck down the death penalty in the early 70's. Plus, California NEVER executes anyone on death row anyway.

Illinois doesn't have the death penalty now, right? (Unless Tylenol could be prosecuted as a federal crime subject to the death penalty).

Authorities may convene a grand jury in the 1982 Chicago Tylenol Murders.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/...sible-in-tylenol-killings-30-years-later.html

I saw this and I thought "Great!"

But these reporters are saying the intended focus is STILL on James Lewis, who based on all the evidence I have seen, could not have been the Tylenol killer. When they said they wanted to get witnesses to testify under oath, I was hoping they perhaps meant members of Ted Kaczynski's family or neighbors, or even Ted himself. But unless this is a smoke screen/misdirection, that seems not to be the case. Multiple witnesses stated James Lewis was in New York with his wife before, during and after the Tylenol Murders in Chicago. And James Lewis was in federal prison during the 1986 Tylenol Murders. Yet the FBI - based on information I gave them (I think) - also tested tainted Tylenol capsules from at least the NY 1986 cases!

Is this the same FBI mentality that gave us the attempted framing of Richard Jewell? What is really going on here?

This article mentions that Ted Kaczynski was swabbed for DNA. Could that be true? I hope it is true. In May 2011 the FBI asked Ted for a DNA sample, but he refused. The FBI said they would seek a court order. Nothing further appeared in court papers or in the press indicating that the FBI compelled Ted to give a sample or that he finally agreed. I wonder if these reporters are just remembering the FBI asking for the DNA and assuming it happened, or if they actually have new information that it was done.

IF they did actually get Ted's DNA, and it did not match the smear of DNA said to have been found on a tainted bottle, what does that mean? It would one of two things: Either Ted Kaczynski was not the Tylenol Murderer OR that smear of DNA was not from the killer and instead came from a factory worker, clerk, policeman or evidence tech. Scott Bartz shows pictures of lab workers holding tainted pills with no gloves on at www.americanfraud.com .

The DNA of James Lewis did NOT match the DNA smear found on the Tylenol bottle, but it seems the FBI is still going after him anyway.

I have no inside information about this possible grand jury or any element of the FBI investigation. All I can say is that at least one agent of the FBI that I have been in communication with seem sincerely interested in the evidence developed by myself along with Doug Oswell and others, called me on the phone, asked for more material and thought Ted was an interesting suspect. But it appears other agents, the majority, never took Kaczynski seriously as a suspect and always continued the pursuit of Lewis.

And it goes to the key point of MOTIVE.

In Ted's beloved state of Montana, there had been several major spills of CYANIDE by a mining company, which poisoned ponds and water wells, killed plants and trees, and killed sheep and elk.

Keep that in mind for the method of using CYANIDE as a means of revenge to paralyse the national economy.

Now, why select Johnson & Johnson?

Thanks to PhillyTechNews and our member DREW for finding this very important item.

johnso12.jpg

With Johnson & Johnson spending tens of millions of dollars to buy and expand BIOTECH and GENETIC ENGINEERING companies, and fund RESEARCH at such companies, he may well have thought it would fit his goals to essentially sink or cripple the Johnson & Johnson Company. Or at least, as he often put it, "get my revenge on the technological society."

This article apppears in May 1982, and in late July 1982 we have the Tylenol Cyanide death of Jay Mitchell in Sheridan, Wyoming, just across the Montana border from where Ted Kaczynski lived.

And in September 1982 the Tylenol Murders cause a $100 Million direct loss to J & J because of the massive recall and huge drop in sales. The Tylenol Murders also caused a $1 Billion plunge in J & J stock. No doubt this financial disaster severely set back any future plans J & J had for buy and expanding biotech and genetic engineering companies, or funding their research.

Don't we have examples of Ted Kaczynski reading the NY Times to select targets? Yes, apparently the FBI thought it likely based on the timing of articles that Ted used the NY Times to target McConnell, Epstein and Gerlenter, probably Mosser, and perhaps others.

Didn't Ted Kaczynski send a bomb to Dr. Charles Epstein, a GENETIC ENGINEER? Yes he did.

Didn't Ted Kaczynski write in his Manifesto and elsewhere about what he felt were the extreme dangers associated with BIOTECH and GENETIC ENGINEERING?

Yes in his 1971 essay it was a dominant concern even back then.

See http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Unnamed_Essay_(1971)

"The power of society to control the individual person has recently been expanding very rapidly, and is expected to expand even more rapidly in the near future. Let us list a few of the more ominous developments as a reminder.

4. Direct physical control of the emotions via electrodes and "chemitrodes" inserted in the brain. (See Jose M.R. Delgado's book "Physical Control of the Mind.")
5. Biofeedback training, after the manner of Joseph Kamiya and others.
6. Predicted "memory pills" or other drugs designed to improve memory or increase intelligence.
(The reader possibly assumes that items (5) and (6) present no danger to freedom because their use is supposed to be voluntary, but I will argue that point later. See page 1-15.)
7. Predicted genetic engineering, eugenics, related techniques.

Observe that once a society based on psychological, genetic, and other forms of human engineering has come into being, it will presumably last forever, because people will all be engineered to favor human engineering and the totally collective society, so that they will never become dissatisfied with this kind of society. Furthermore, once human engineering, the linking of human minds with computers, and other things of that nature have come into extensive use, people will probably be altered so much that it will no longer be possible for them to exist as independent beings, either physically or psychologically"

And in section "2" of the Unabomber Manifesto, right at the start, Ted says the industrial-technological system will permanently reduce "human beings and other living organisms to engineered products and mere cogs in the social machine." (Emphasis added). In his April 24, 1995 letter to the NY Times Ted stated "The people we are out to get are the scientists and engineers, especially in critical fields like computers and genetics." (emphasis added). And there are multiple references throughout his writing to the extreme dangers of the biotech and genetics fields.

Even the “Unibomber” Ted Kaczynski had been swabbed for DNA at one point — but sources said that was done to exclude him as a suspect.

Thirty years after seven people died from ingesting poisoned Tylenol capsules , state prosecutors are weighing whether to commission a grand jury to compel witness statements in the case, sources tell the Chicago Sun-Times.

The evidence investigators presented to prosecutors so far remains circumstantial, but could be bolstered through statements from potential witnesses who have declined to sit for interviews, according to sources close to the investigation.

http://couriernews.suntimes.com/news/15362399-418/grand-jury-possible-in-tylenol-killings-30-years-later.html

It sounds like TK has been eliminated as a suspect. As for whether the dna they are testing against is the perps or not, I suppose they have tested those handling the samples? They too could have been eliminated via dna testing.

I'm curious about who is refusing to be interviewed and why?

As a convicted felon, does Ted K even get a choice as to submitting dna or not? I was under the impression all convicted felons had to submit in some states. Not sure about federal cases.

And how hard would it be to get dna from Ted K? I mean he must comb his hair and eat, no? I can't imagine it being difficult to get dna from TK and assume that was done a long time ago.

Those are good questions and we don't know the answers yet.

This article mentions that Ted Kaczynski was swabbed for DNA. Could that be true? I hope it is true. In May 2011 the FBI asked Ted for a DNA sample, but he refused. The FBI said they would seek a court order. Nothing further appeared in court papers or in the press indicating that the FBI compelled Ted to give a sample or that he finally agreed.

I wonder if these reporters are just remembering the FBI asking for the DNA and assuming it happened, or if they actually have new information that it was done. They do not cite a source who told them it was done.

The FBI and police appear to be focused on James Lewis. I hope they have serioulsy looked into Ted Kaczynski and either excluded or included him as a suspect based on the evidence.

I do not know if Ted K. has been ruled out as the Tylenol killer.
As Cubby and AKWILKS have said, there is no follow- up statement that his DNA was or wasn't tested, or what the results were, if tested..

I have often wondered if Ted K. could have been the Tylenol killer, and also the Zodiac killer.

There is one other factual similarity between Ted K.'s known bomb making and the Tylenol murders:
In both cases, the perp. put a substance which kills into a container at high personal risk. MANY bombers have blown themselves up. Several people down through modern history who were attempting to poison others have accidentally poisoned themselves.

So, I see a strong link for high risk-taking personally before the crimes were completed. It was probably a thrill for him to work with deadly materials.

At this point, I am wondering if there is tunnel vision regarding Lewis, or if something has caused the DNA results to be kept under wraps, such as something the public does not know related to the Zodiac killings.
If we are extremely lucky, all 3 will line up with Ted K- Unabomber, Zodiac, and Tylenol killer.
Remember- the FBI went through his cabin and rifled through his things last year too. It is said that some items were sold, but I don't know if that's true..It really ticked Ted off, in either case.
Wonder if they might have found something in his possessions, papers, etc. that piqued their interest in him for the Zodiac murders?

Maria

I do not know if Ted K. has been ruled out as the Tylenol killer.
As Cubby and AKWILKS have said, there is no follow- up statement that his DNA was or wasn't tested, or what the results were, if tested..

I have often wondered if Ted K. could have been the Tylenol killer, and also the Zodiac killer.

There is one other factual similarity between Ted K.'s known bomb making and the Tylenol murders:
In both cases, the perp. put a substance which kills into a container at high personal risk. MANY bombers have blown themselves up. Several people down through modern history who were attempting to poison others have accidentally poisoned themselves.

So, I see a strong link for high risk-taking personally before the crimes were completed. It was probably a thrill for him to work with deadly materials.

At this point, I am wondering if there is tunnel vision regarding Lewis, or if something has caused the DNA results to be kept under wraps, such as something the public does not know related to the Zodiac killings.
If we are extremely lucky, all 3 will line up with Ted K- Unabomber, Zodiac, and Tylenol killer.
Remember- the FBI went through his cabin and rifled through his things last year too. It is said that some items were sold, but I don't know if that's true..It really ticked Ted off, in either case.
Wonder if they might have found something in his possessions, papers, etc. that piqued their interest in him for the Zodiac murders?

Maria

Don't mind if I bump this thread. Interesting to think that Ted Kaczynski could also be the Zodiac Killer. I doubt he is the Zodiac Killer, but at the same time it could be possible. The Zodiac Killer was angry at the world.

As for the Tylenol Poisoner, it could be possible as it happened in the Chicago area. I remember reading that that law enforcement profiled the Tylenol murder suspect as likely being angry at the world, like Ted Kaczynski is.

Zodiac Killer Suspect-Ted Kaczynski
http://www.zodiackiller.com/SuspectKaczynski.html

Eliminating Ted Kaczynski as the Zodiac
http://www.zodiackillerfacts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=235

The Case For Kaczynski As The Zodiac and The EAR/ONS
http://community.aetv.com/service/displayDiscussionThreads.kickAction?w=278284&as=119137&d=516056

The link above suggests that he is also the Santa Barbara Beach murderer.

Unazod.com-The Unabomber-Zodiac Connection
http://unazod.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=3

Zodiac Killer Sketch
Zodiac_blog_2100x147.jpg

Ted Kaczynski
Young_theodore_kaczynski.jpeg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics