Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
No link but im watching cnn news..

something about another hydrogen explosion?

now i have no link as im watching this on the news on cnn..

just my take on what was is being said..

Bracing myself for a huge blast in Japan... this is insane.

are the US plants built to withstand tsunami type flooding???

in 2008 Iowa had major flooding we have 1 nuclear plant in Palo that town flooded.. thankfully the water never reached the plant.. but there were some people pooping bricks about what if it did.....

Wonder if they ever had the mock scenario of 6 or more reactors going bad at once, all in one location? (In a location where a 9.0 earthquake and a tsunami just ripped the hello outta the infrastructure?)

No link but im watching cnn news..

something about another hydrogen explosion?

now i have no link as im watching this on the news on cnn..

just my take on what was is being said..

Yes, I heard that too. An explosion compromised the containment of the spent fuel pool, and now it is dry. If it melts, another much larger blast will ensue.

Twitters back for me.

US #nuclear chief: Outer shell of fuel rods at #Fukushima No.4 may ignite, propelling radioactive fuel over a wide area http://aje.me/i8zNSt

ETA, although I'm able to get on twitter, it's about 20 minutes behind in news. I noticed before it quit earlier, it had news 37 minutes behind. Gah!

Yes, I heard that too. An explosion compromised the containment of the spent fuel pool, and now it is dry. If it melts, another much larger blast will ensue.

oh nooooooooooooo..

I wasnt sure If I was hearing things or not..

My heart is just so sad and worried for Japan, its people, the animals...
this is all so sad..

Well it's 5:21 AM over there.........we should start getting more news.

I can assure you, and I am no one, that US plants are inspected completely inside and out during every refueling outage, approx every 18 months. These plants are designed to withstand an earthquake. When a large wave of water comes in and wipes out all of your back-up power supplies, there is a problem. This plant withstood the earthquake, the backup power kicked on immediately. The tsunami is what caused the problems.

I would like to point out how they are on the coast line and near a major fault line(intersecting ones ever) A tsunami is something IMO they should have been prepared for How ever big the surge of water after however huge the earthquake. They were not prepared for what their own geographic climate called for, it seems. This should have been considered in the planning of the nuke plant. Hindsight is 20/20 but common sence can forsee.

I wonder if the wind direction will change when the sun comes up?

This is what I have been waiting for that would tell that we as Americans have a problem. There are no more live updates for what is going on in terms of radiation, we are setting up more monitors, and there is a special meeting on the Japan issue. I think it's safe to say that we have a problem. Don't know how big or how bad yet, but we have one.

Wonder if they ever had the mock scenario of 6 or more reactors going bad at once, all in one location? (In a location where a 9.0 earthquake and a tsunami just ripped the hello outta the infrastructure?)

I believe they only hold mock scenarios/drills/tests on days when presidents are reading about goats in primary schools and trainee pilots are taking jet liners out for a spin.

My opinion only

I can assure you, and I am no one, that US plants are inspected completely inside and out during every refueling outage, approx every 18 months. These plants are designed to withstand an earthquake. When a large wave of water comes in and wipes out all of your back-up power supplies, there is a problem. This plant withstood the earthquake, the backup power kicked on immediately. The tsunami is what caused the problems.

I asked my husband about what went wrong yesterday, and he told me exactly what you said. ( He works for a nuclear manufacturer company) I thought they weren't being safe enough. But the tsunami took out the generator, and the back up battery. I never really listen about what a nuclear plant does or even how it works. He explained it all to me. I feel so sad and scared for the people at the plant working. My husband did mention numbers, one was 5000 amount he could receive in one year and a citizen could receive 100 amount of this radiation, I'm sorry. So much to take in, I've forgotten stuff. If anyone has any questions I can ask him. Again he inspects parts for plants, does not work in a plant.
I think of all the familys everyday. Every few minutes they pop in my mind, and Im worried, scared and sad. So many lives are gone.

are the US plants built to withstand tsunami type flooding???

in 2008 Iowa had major flooding we have 1 nuclear plant in Palo that town flooded.. thankfully the water never reached the plant.. but there were some people pooping bricks about what if it did.....

I can't answer this. I don't know that anything can withstand tsunamis, but you have one coast that experiences tsunamis and on that coast I see 4 out of 104 reactors. The majority of the plants are on the east coast. Also, there are Florida, Louisiana and Texas that have survived numerous hurricanes and floods.

Another thing to look at, the US does not have any plants currently opperating the contain plutonium.

I just saw the feed on CNN; over 4300 dead so far and more than 8600 still missing. There are 450,000 people in shelters.

I am trained for stuff like this and all I can do is sit here. *sigh*

There are no more than 3 units in one location in the US and they are not in danger of tsunami.

GAH Kyodo news has this for a headline right now

No contest between DPJ, LDP expected in 6 governor races

Ummmmmm part of your country is falling apart.. who cares about governor races!!

sorry link http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/

Lovely

According to the Kyodo news agency, Japan's nuclear agency has said that the water level has been dropping in the No 5 reactor as well:

Given what has happened elsewhere this isn't a surprise and we should expect the same thing in No 6 as well. Reactors 4, 5 and 6 were actually out of commission at the time of the earthquake and tsunami, but the danger remains because of the highly radioactive used fuel stored in the reactors. In the case of No 4, it may have had more spent fuel, and it was harmed by the nearby explosions in the 1, 2 and 3 reactors, which was most likely to cause of the first fire in No 4.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/16/japan-nuclear-crisis-tsunami-aftermath-live

I would like to point out how they are on the coast line and near a major fault line(intersecting ones ever) A tsunami is something IMO they should have been prepared for How ever big the surge of water after however huge the earthquake. They were not prepared for what their own geographic climate called for, it seems. This should have been considered in the planning of the nuke plant. Hindsight is 20/20 but common sence can forsee.

ITA... They are not under the contol of the NRC, either. I don't know the standards the Japanese used when building plants.

Discussion on the Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Power Plant accident

"A forum for discussion, analysis and data referencing regarding the tragic events unfolding at Fukishima Daichi Nuclear Power Plant in Japan. Hosted by a group of UC Berkeley educated nuclear engineering alumni and students. Anyone is welcome to join."

Search facebook "daiichi nuclear power plant" to join group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member