New Family Of Spiders Discovered In Oregon

Dark Knight

Reaction score
A group of cave explorers and scientists have made a rare discovery: an entirely new taxonomic family of spider in the caves of southern Oregon.

Only two other spider families (the taxonomic group above both genus and species) have been found since 1990, and this is the first newly discovered, native one uncovered in North America since 1890, said California Academy of Sciences researcher Charles Griswold, lead author of the study that described the species.

Scary pics at link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48703399/ns/technology_and_science-science/

DK, I wanted to hit the thanks button.

I couldn't do it.

((((((spiders scare me incredibly!))))))

And right on the heels of that thought, came...why SPIDERS?? Couldn't they discover something, well, more useful?? Instead of giving the world more nightmarish creatures, how about something all rainbow-and-butterflyish? How about finding a Unicorn?

Blergh.

Sorry.

Best-
Herding Cats

...The spider also has poisonous glands, although there's no evidence that it is dangerous to humans... [at link]

Who is going to volunteer to find out if they are poisonous to humans? I've already been bitten by a Brown Recluse so I can't. :D They aren't really too ugly, as spiders go.

DK, I wanted to hit the thanks button.

I couldn't do it.

((((((spiders scare me incredibly!))))))

And right on the heels of that thought, came...why SPIDERS?? Couldn't they discover something, well, more useful?? Instead of giving the world more nightmarish creatures, how about something all rainbow-and-butterflyish? How about finding a Unicorn?

Blergh.

Sorry.

Best-
Herding Cats

The claws are creepy. This isn't real but it is pretty.

Attachments

• HOOT.JPG
    HOOT.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 10
i hope they stay right where they are...don't anyone be bringing them this way please

OK, serial killers, rapists, mass murders, kidnappers . . . yeah, concerning to say the least, but these spiders? Truly terrifying!!! I live in Oregon! I just killed some weird-looking spider I'd never seen before (I put it off to a mutation from the meth house I was restoring), then I read this! We're being invaded!!! I need to move someplace safer, like Los Angeles or Miami!

Man, just last week I found out we now have Brown Widows in Louisiana----I had never heard of those! Now these cave dwelling, clawed spiders! I am glad I am not afraid of spiders!

only good spider is a dead spider

only good spider is a dead spider

No, no, no! Regular spiders trap flies, mosquitoes, and nasty crawly bugs in their webs. They aren't a major carrier of diseases and the only bad spiders are the poisonous ones!

No, no, no! Regular spiders trap flies, mosquitoes, and nasty crawly bugs in their webs. They aren't a major carrier of diseases and the only bad spiders are the poisonous ones!

All spider are poisonous, it's just that most don't effect humans too adversely with their venom. But that's not even the issue. It's not the venomosity that matters; it's their sneakiness! It's the way they drop from their web right behind you, face level, knowing you'll turn around and walk straight into them. It's how they casually crawl out from under your sheets with you in the morning. It's how they hide in the very place they know you're going to stick your bare hand or foot. It's how fast they move, how far they jump, and their little voices saying, "Just wait, I'm going to get you!"

Did you hear the recent story about the woman in China who went to a doctor because her ear kept itching, and the doctor found a spider living inside of it? This was not a hoax, it was in the mainstream media and they even had photos of the little bugger peeking out from her ear! They used a saline solution to flush him out. *shudders* (Why she agreed to wait long enough for pictures is beyond me, but this was China, so you do what you're told, lol.)

OK, serial killers, rapists, mass murders, kidnappers . . . yeah, concerning to say the least, but these spiders? Truly terrifying!!! I live in Oregon! I just killed some weird-looking spider I'd never seen before (I put it off to a mutation from the meth house I was restoring), then I read this! We're being invaded!!! I need to move someplace safer, like Los Angeles or Miami!

Mayra, I'm in Oregon too! Let's hope these guys don't come north. I was just talking to some friends about how the spiders are just out of control this year. We've done some eco-friendly spraying under our deck because they build webs all night and we walk into them but this year the spray isn't doing a thing.

I don't mind them out in the yard but a face full of web is a terrible way to start the day.

@Dark Knight: I've heard of that happening before, and in bigger cities, the culprit is usually cockroaches living in people's ears. I don't understand how anyone can go ANY amount of time hearing something moving in their ears, feeling little legs scratching . . . . I'd be putting on a snorkel and living underwater until it came out!

@PDXmama: I just finished restoring this meth house and noticed there wasn't a single spider to be found in the house. Not one. After it was cleaned, repainted, floors sealed, and recarpeted, the spiders decided to come back in force. I've decided they're my canaries. Seeing spiders mean I did my job and got all the residual chemicals cleaned from the house. But while I appreciate their presence letting me know I "done did good", the little f@#kers still have to die!

I hope these new spiders don't find my house. I have enough trouble with the ones I have! Spiders must love Oregon! I should move into my UFO permanently.

:ufo:

[Scratching Southern Oregon off my list of places to visit.....]

Man, just last week I found out we now have Brown Widows in Louisiana----I had never heard of those! Now these cave dwelling, clawed spiders! I am glad I am not afraid of spiders!

I can't believe that here in NE Ohio, there are cans of Raid "Black Widow Killer" on the store shelves. Apparently, it only works on them, not any other spiders. I didn't even know we had them here. This is one case where ignorance was bliss.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back