Rudy Guede now eligible for day release

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point of jail is not just to rehabilitate, but to punish. Meredith's life is gone, her family will not have her for the rest of their lives, and this guy goes to jail for a relatively brief time. If someone killed someone you loved, would you be okay with them getting as few years as this guy in jail?
At least he's done some time and is attempting to educate himself to make something of himself. Meredith's other killers haven't seen any jail time yet...:jail::jail::jail:

The point of jail is not just to rehabilitate, but to punish. Meredith's life is gone, her family will not have her for the rest of their lives, and this guy goes to jail for a relatively brief time. If someone killed someone you loved, would you be okay with them getting as few years as this guy in jail?

The US prison system is founded on the concept of punishment. Other penal systems are founded on the concept of rehabilitation. I don't understand why, throughout this trial, so many people seem to believe that the US justice system should apply in Italy. Other countries have different justice systems and that's just the way it is.

At least he's done some time and is attempting to educate himself to make something of himself. Meredith's other killers haven't seen any jail time yet...

can we please stick to the facts?

amanda and raffaele were both in university when meredith was killed... and both kept up their studies in prison. and both continued to study after they were released.

and both have seen jail time... about four years.

now let's discuss what guede was doing before he was arrested... what was it again? oh yeah-- cutting classes then dropping out of college, breaking and entering, stealing, threatening his victims with knives, fleeing the country, night clubbing, dealing drugs...

Rudy Guede - The Murderer of Meredith Kercher - YouTube

the sympathy and applause he apparently receives? :banghead:

The US prison system is founded on the concept of punishment. Other penal systems are founded on the concept of rehabilitation.

At that time, Italy had 54,000 prisoners in a system designed to hold only 29,000. After almost two decades the problem has only worsened. “The continuous increase in the jails overcrowding and the significant presence of foreign prisoners makes pursuing the rehabilitative aim of punishment extremely complex and often in vain,” Napolitano told the head of the Italian prison administration department....

more @ http://sentencing.typepad.com/sente...rs-italy-is-the-california-of-the-europe.html

Justice Minister Anna Maria Cancellieri... complain[ed] that Italy's prison system represented an embarrassment to a civilized country.

more @ http://www.ibtimes.com/italys-overcrowded-prisons-growing-tragedy-epic-proportions-1310555

At least he's done some time and is attempting to educate himself to make something of himself. Meredith's other killers haven't seen any jail time yet...:jail::jail::jail:

AK and RS both spent 4 years in jail before being released. Are you implying that others played a role in the death of MK?

IIRC AK's time coincides with her conviction for accusing Patrick. Hellmann even agreed.

RS might have a complaint IMO for the 4 years... IF he wasn't guilty. But (hold the phone) he has been convicted and released at an appeal that has since been ruled illogical and severely flawed (plus annuled).

As has been repeatedly posted... nobody is cheering or happy that RG may be ELIGIBLE for study/work release in the near future.

He can study in prison and he can work in prison. He doesn't need to be released for those things and maybe the person(s) responsible for the decision when he is ELIGIBLE
will see that from the public's point of view.

It is not the fault of anyone that RG has used the Law (however skewed) to it's full extent to get the best possible sentence for himself. As aa said he likely just listened to his lawyers.

As we have seen... AK and RS don't listen and like to say/post things that conflict with the evidence and seem highly untrue/unreasonable/unlikely. Surely their lawyers have nothing to do with these things and did not advise it. So they probably wish about now that they had taken the fast-track too since there is just as much evidence against them as there is against RG IMO.

They could have formed a chain-gang at work-release time.

The Kercher family didn't say anything. I doubt they would respond, and certainly don't use that kind of language.

Yes, I thought it was strange b/c it said the same thing as the article yesterday did, and I thought in that article it said some random person said that? I will have to check.

To me, the verdict made it clear that Rudy Guede will be out on the streets before Italy gives up on prosecuting Amanda Knox.

Today we learned that Rudy Geude is being released during the day so he can peruse a degree.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/rudy-guede-meredith-kercher-killer-3132708

:banghead:

'One friend of Meredith’s family said: “Rudy Guede being allowed out of prison to study like this is a sick joke.

"Poor Meredith was in Perugia to study at university and this man was convicted of killing her.

“She is dead and here he is now studying history and could even go to the same university.”'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/rudy-guede-meredith-kercher-killer-3132708#ixzz2t7nhLBl0
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

bbm

In this article, it says a friend of Meredith's said that. I believe in the article Otto posted, it says one of Meredith's friends.

So the statement has been incorrectly stated as coming from Meredith's family, in one of the articles.

Once he has served his time, would he be free to tell his story fully (if there is one involving AK And RS) without any implications?

can we please stick to the facts?

amanda and raffaele were both in university when meredith was killed... and both kept up their studies in prison. and both continued to study after they were released.

and both have seen jail time... about four years.

now let's discuss what guede was doing before he was arrested... what was it again? oh yeah-- cutting classes then dropping out of college, breaking and entering, stealing, threatening his victims with knives, fleeing the country, night clubbing, dealing drugs...

Rudy Guede - The Murderer of Meredith Kercher - YouTube

the sympathy and applause he apparently receives? :banghead:

What classes was she taking in Italy? Language ? As far as I know, that's it.

What classes did she continue with in prison?

What's her case load look like since she's been back?

For the record, he doesn't get my applause or sympathy. He did his time.
Now it's time for them to do theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once he has served his time, would he be free to tell his story fully (if there is one involving AK And RS) without any implications?

Yes I would guess so, Italy probably has double jeopardy as we'll. however, I would assume he would be paranoid, I know I would be. Paranoid that I would have to go to prison again for some reason or another. Foe example, the more he says, the more the police will be watching him. Meaning he would get caught even if he did something small. If he kindd of fades away and lives quietly, then he prob. Wouldn't have everyone watching him all the time.

Jmo.

AK and RS both spent 4 years in jail before being released. Are you implying that others played a role in the death of MK?

And rightly so! Knox was convicted of slander against Patrick Lumumba and the least she can do is spend some time in prison to reflect on her criminal activities. The prison staff worked hard to rehabilitate her with regular meetings with a religious advisor (although Knox is agnostic), writing competitions, music concerts, co-habitation, an opportunity to read and cook and hang from the prison bars singing the same Beattle song at the top of her lungs. She was not doing "hard time" because she was being rehabilitated.

Her situation is entirely different from Sollecito, whose time in prison should count towards his murder conviction.

Guede has completed the minimal time, and he does have additional freedoms. He is not released without conditions, he still lives in the sex offender wing in the prison and if he is allowed on day release, his behavior will be closely monitored. The privilege can be withdrawn at any time if he does anything that is perceived as crossing the line. Approaching a woman for anything other than strict academic reasons would be crossing the line.

What classes was she taking in Italy? Language ? As far as I know, that's it.

What classes did she continue with in prison?

What's her case load look like since she's been back?

For the record, he doesn't get my applause or sympathy. He did his time.
Now it's time for them to do theirs.

Knox was attending the University for Foreigners, learning the Italian language. Her course wasn't a full semester. She might have been able to transfer the credit to UW, but only as a language credit ... which might be an option in her Creative Writing program.

Meredith was attending the University for visiting students where the course credit that she completed went towards completing her degree at Leeds University.

I haven't heard that Knox completed any courses towards her UW degree when she was in prison.

My understanding is that Guede is studying history, and that he is eligible to attend the university to complete that degree (he hasn't yet made the request). Unless he has an opportunity for synchronous learning, the idea that he should study from prison would, in my opinion, result in a limited learning opportunity. That is, most university courses include group work, class discussion and student presentation. Excluding that component from the course would result in less than ideal course completion.

Knox was attending the University for Foreigners, learning the Italian language. Her course wasn't a full semester. She might have been able to transfer the credit to UW, but only as a language credit ... which might be an option in her Creative Writing program.

Meredith was attending the University for visiting students where the course credit that she completed went towards completing her degree at Leeds University.

I haven't heard that Knox completed any courses towards her UW degree when she was in prison.

My understanding is that Guede is studying history, and that he is eligible to attend the university to complete that degree (he hasn't yet made the request). Unless he has an opportunity for synchronous learning, the idea that he should study from prison would, in my opinion, result in a limited learning opportunity. That is, most university courses include group work, class discussion and student presentation. Excluding that component from the course would result in less than ideal course completion.

Seems to me, I constantly hear how studious Amanda was and is and in all this time she still doesn't have a degree.

She strikes me as a girl that wants to be perceived as studious.
She's a good student by all early accounts. It's her behavior after leaving the confines of structure where she seems to loose focus and it became all about doing exactly as she pleased....which consisted mostly of self indulgent pleasure seeking. Blowing off the job her uncle got her, sex, getting high...

Once again, in your opinion. They were convicted in a court of law. I will grant you that wrongful convictions exist, as in the case of Ryan Ferguson, but that's not what happened here.

Ryan's friend accused him of participation in a murder. Isn't that what Knox did to Patrick? At least the Italian system got it right and there was no wrongful conviction of Patrick!

There has not been any careless, wrongful conviction in this case. Seven years after the murder, each of the convicted murderers is in a different situation. Guede is eligible to begin the transition into society. Knox has served time for one conviction and is still looking forward to 28 years in prison. Sollecito has 4 years towards his 25 year sentence. We can only hope that they can be rehabilitated when they are finally rounded up and put in their concrete boxes.

I don't understand why, throughout this trial, so many people seem to believe that the US justice system should apply in Italy. Other countries have different justice systems and that's just the way it is.

I did hear a lot of people in the US who thought that somehow Italy is supposed to follow the US justice system, and I think that is stupid. It's a different country with different laws. Being able to have a second trial is not necessarily a bad thing if there is new strong evidence that emerged.

But you didn't answer my question. Would you be ok if a killer was let out of prison in that short of time for murdering someone you loved?

I did hear a lot of people in the US who thought that somehow Italy is supposed to follow the US justice system, and I think that is stupid. It's a different country with different laws. Being able to have a second trial is not necessarily a bad thing if there is new strong evidence that emerged.

But you didn't answer my question. Would you be ok if a killer was let out of prison in that short of time for murdering someone you loved?

Heck no! I'd want nothing less than the death penalty!

I have never known anyone in that situation, so I have no idea how I would feel. At this point, I respect the diverse legal systems that are applied in different parts of the westernized world. I don't think that any one system is better than the other, although I do have problems with a country that is unable to address the needs of broken people that commit criminal offenses in any way other than to euthanize them.

In a country where children are sentenced to life in prison, it is probably very difficult to understand a system that works hard to rehabilitate convicted criminals. In a country that upholds "an eye for an eye" and capital punishment, rehabilitation is a foreign concept. Throwing people away is easier than rehabilitation.

Fortunately, in Italy, professionals have the skills and patience to work with broken people, like Knox, Guede and Sollecito, to help them become productive, contributing members of society. I'm sure that there are failures, but I'm also confident that there are successes.

Guede was 20 when Meredith was murdered. Knox was also 20. They have both been convicted of the murder of Meredith Kercher. Knox has become a media darling, receiving millions of dollars for giving canned answers to pre-approved questions about her activities on the night of the murder. Guede served his sentence.

How can anyone be outraged that efforts are being made to rehabilitate and assimilate Guede back into society as part of his prison sentence when Knox has not compensated Patrick for her criminal activities, is still claiming to be wrongfully imprisoned, and is treated like a celebrity in spite of her murder conviction? I think the outrage is misplaced.

I do agree with your post here and you've put it so well.

My only problem is IMO to be considered "rehabilitated" one needs to be able to accept what they've done and admit to it. Frankly RG still sticking to being in the bathroom while Meredith was killed is simply unacceptable! He should have to fully admit to his active role in her murder, to be considered for any kind of special release.

That is a serious flaw in this system IMO. I do understand the system as it stands he took advantage of the fast track option and like all others is eligible after half his sentence is served. I just disagree that he gets to enjoy any freedoms before he can even admit what he's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr