A&E 2 hour special

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those interested in the crime mapping angle ala geographical profiling ala jeopardy surfaces, here's the [ame=http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134809]map thread[/ame]. As for where the GB4 & Shannan hailed from? Megan lived in Portland Maine ( link ), Maureen lived in Norwich Connecticut ( link ), Melissa lived in the Bronx ( link ) , Amber lived in West Babylon ( link ), and Shannan lived in Jersey City ( link ).

If she's willing to put herself in danger like that, police should have been working with her ... monitoring the men that she agreed to meet.

Yeah from what she said in the special, I can deduce that Amber's sister doesn't have the best judgment, or the best record of making good decisions. She seemed pretty confident about being able to take down a experienced serial killer herself, which is reckless and dangerous. I really hope she's able to get some help for herself, for the traumatic effects of losing her sister, but also so she can stop putting herself in dangerous situations - it seemed self-destructive to me, and made me wonder about what happened in these sisters' childhoods that made them both go down this path.

Shannon's disappearance is really a mystery. She ran into the bushes and vanished. That suggests to me that either she had a terrible accident in a place where she could vanish (like down a well - not likely) or someone grabbed her. It's not surprising that her body wouldn't be in the same location as the other 10 victims since the dumping grounds were about to be discovered. She must be in a new location. That also suggests that the person that grabbed her must have looked somewhat trustworthy, as she was running away from her driver and the other man that opened his door to her. Why would she go towards someone else and not her driver when she was in trouble ... unless she suspected that her driver was involved in something that would put her in danger.

Yes, but two more bodies were dumped there after she disappeared.

Taking a toddler along suggests famialarity. Perhaps the victim knew the killer ( or thought she did). There is always the possibility that the child belonged to the killer too..

Or simply that the mother thought she was going to a halfway house and it was ok to bring her child.

Yeah from what she said in the special, I can deduce that Amber's sister doesn't have the best judgment, or the best record of making good decisions. She seemed pretty confident about being able to take down a experienced serial killer herself, which is reckless and dangerous. I really hope she's able to get some help for herself, for the traumatic effects of losing her sister, but also so she can stop putting herself in dangerous situations - it seemed self-destructive to me, and made me wonder about what happened in these sisters' childhoods that made them both go down this path.

I don't have a link, but early in the case I read that Amber had a troubled upbringing. IIRC, it may have been an interview w/ Amber's ex husband in NC. I have been looking for that link all morning and cannot find it.

Kimberly gives a bit of insight about Amber in this link....

http://nymag.com/news/features/long-island-serial-killer-families-2011-6/

wm

ETA more background on Amber...

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/faces-of-the-gilgo-beach-victims-1.2633910

I have conflicting feelings about the show. On one hand, they really did a great job of interviewing the families. ANd that was so sad.Not just their grief, but generational dysfunction that could have predictably led to young girls without many resources, dangerous choices and drugs. On ther other hand.. the actually reporting I though was very week....no mention was made at all re the Dr. in Oak beach who Shannon's mother said called her, no mention of the phone in NYC that (I forget which one) one of them was headed home after being robbed. No mention of Shannon's mental health issues. There were so many details that I think are important that got pushed aside. I realize they could not cover everything..but still ..very week.
I thought it was very odd at the end when Shannon's mother said she felt her daughter was dead but that was ok, becuase she was there in spirit. I think there is something so off about this woman. She just does not seem to have the emotional connection the other grieving mothers' have. But I think she likes the spoltlight and her new role. I know that is harsh,but IMO that's how she comes across.

I thought it was very odd at the end when Shannon's mother said she felt her daughter was dead but that was ok, becuase she was there in spirit. I think there is something so off about this woman. She just does not seem to have the emotional connection the other grieving mothers' have. But I think she likes the spoltlight and her new role. I know that is harsh,but IMO that's how she comes across.

I think at this point she just wants answers and has prepared herself for the worst. In a situation like that you would probably closure and having her body back at the family burial plot is a lot better than not having nothing at all.

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth! There is something very strange about Mari Gilbert. However, I think the emotional disconnect you sensed is because I believe Shannon was raised by foster families, if I remember correctly. I am going to look that fact up, but I think that is why you are feeling that way.

I like how they talked about each victim's families and friends.

Very sad. Very well done and respectable.

I got creeped out when they talked about the calls he made to the sister and threatened her. They think she was kept alive for a month before she was murdered.

Who do they think was kept alive for a month?

If she's willing to put herself in danger like that, police should have been working with her ... monitoring the men that she agreed to meet.
Yeah from what she said in the special, I can deduce that Amber's sister doesn't have the best judgment, or the best record of making good decisions.
Am not sure what to think about her claim that she is trying to "lure out" the SK, since she was the one who brought Amber into the profession in the first place ( link ). My cynical side says her true motivations are less than altruistic. Otoh, it's possible that she is suffering from some sort of survivor's guilt, so she's gonna continue to head down this self-destructive path as a sort of self-imposed penance.
Could there be two people involved, like the Charles Ng case?
Tandem killers do seem possible.

I haven't followed this case.

We dvr'ed the special and I sat down to watch it and my 18 yr old son came in to sit down with me.

He was especially touched by the family members speaking about their lost loved ones.

His conclusion based on this show was that perhaps Shannon really isn't connected. I don't know enough details to affirm or correct him.

He was especially touched by the victim who's DNA results came back on her Bday.

I had gotten up and walked out of the room and he rewound it and said Mom you have to watch this part it's so sad.

I really liked this special because it focused on the family as victims too. It also helped support what I've taught my kids about prostition.

(yes I've had to have convo's because we live in a state where it is rampant and the guys and gals will stand on the corner here and flag clients down)

That prostitutes are working girls (guys). They are doing it because they usually don't have life skills or job skills that would get them enough work to support themselves.

They come from all walks of life and they are no different from any of us, they might have substance abuse issues---or not.

That they deserve to be treated with respect and dignity just as much as any other human being and when they go missing or are victims of crime their job and the status it gives them in our society shouldn't make one bit of difference.

Both of our mouths fell open when one of the family members was told that LE wouldn't even take a missing persons report on a prostitute until that person had been missing 10 days.

What?

Sorry for the ramble but if you haven't watched this, it's good to watch. Just my suggestion.

Who do they think was kept alive for a month?

Melissa Barthelemy. IIRC there were about a total of 7 calls made to her 15 yr old sister from Melissa's cell phone. None lasted longer than 3 mins. IIRC.

Scandi to be honest I'm not sure I agree with the family that she was alive all that time. There might be info they didn't share on the show to support that but I think he killed her, disposed of her and kept the phone and called her sister because he had an interest in her and also to taunt the family. JMHO

Am not sure what to think about her claim that she is trying to "lure out" the SK, since she was the one who brought Amber into the profession in the first place ( link ). My cynical side says her true motivations are less than altruistic. Otoh, it's possible that she is suffering from some sort of survivor's guilt, so she's gonna continue to head down this self-destructive path as a sort of self-imposed penance.

Tandem killers do seem possible.

IMHO she needs to stop that right now. I have no doubt in my mind that the serial killer watched that show. I would bet my bottom dollar. How could he resist? In fact as I sat there and watched it on DVR I bet if he has access to one he has it saved too.

He probably reads the internet about himself all the time and might even have found our forum on him and the victims and reads. JMHO.

So IMHO he knows who she is now, and he knows what she looks like and he might just kill her to prove a point. JMHO

Taking a toddler along suggests famialarity. Perhaps the victim knew the killer ( or thought she did). There is always the possibility that the child belonged to the killer too.

AFAIK, there hasn't been an official cause of death for the toddler at this time.

What is interesting to me is that the earlier victims were dismembered, there is no cause of death for the child (soft death maybe, suffocation?) and the Asian male dressed in women's clothing was beaten to death. Rage?

While the G4 were all wrapped up in burlap.....

Just a thought: On my way into the town next to where we live Matilda I have to pass through the red light district here.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen prostitutes working in front of a small store here that is a front for their business with their toddlers and small children with them.

This makes me think the SK might have driven by and scene Schaller with her first and had her meet him a block away.

Does anyone know if her address ever released?

America St.

I don't have a link, but early in the case I read that Amber had a troubled upbringing. IIRC, it may have been an interview w/ Amber's ex husband in NC. I have been looking for that link all morning and cannot find it.

Kimberly gives a bit of insight about Amber in this link....

http://nymag.com/news/features/long-island-serial-killer-families-2011-6/

wm

ETA more background on Amber...

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/faces-of-the-gilgo-beach-victims-1.2633910

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...d-dead-in-new-york-could-be-victim-of/1148049

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas