Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Verna called me today in response to our questions. Here they are below:
  • Is it possible to get a digital photograph of the Accutron watch movement and case that the John Doe was wearing? The reason this request has been made is because apparently when an old watch is opened to reveal the works, you can often find the initials and date of the various repairers who had worked on it scratched somewhere on the case or movement. If this is possible, you can email me the photos and I can post them to our group for further investigation.
Verna responded that the watch was actually sent in to Bulova Accutron right after the John Doe was found. The Bulova company took the watch apart and examined it and could not find any markings on the case or works. They did say it was circa 1968-69ish but by the time the watch was being researched all the records from Bulova in that era had been destroyed.
  • There have been a lot of questions about the possible sighting of the couple at the fruit stand. I was wondering if you could give us more detail about what was seen, if anything, by the fruit stand workers?
Verna is actually in the process of researching the account of the fruit stand sighting in more detail. The owners of the fruit stand are now deceased, however Verna believes it is possible their relatives still live in the house on the property that is adjacent to where the fruit stand was, so she is going to try to visit there and see if the relatives have any recollection about being told anything on this.
  • Can you give us an idea about how RECENT the restorations on the John Doe’s teeth were made prior to his death? Also, can you tell us specifically which teeth were missing?
Verna reports that a lot of the information about this case have been lost/mislaid- including some of the TEETH belonging to the John Doe. They were given to a forensic dentist to study- he died and his wife inadvertantly threw away the dental samples! Verna says she is unable to tell us how old the work was on the teeth.

About the John Doe’s ring/watch: it is noted in the case history that the John Doe may have tried to sell the ring to the KOA campground worker. Were pawnshops checked locally to see if he’d pawned the ring and watch in the area previously and then came back to claim them?

This was checked at the time with negative results.
  • I am also sending you two leads on missing people. One is a girl from Quebec named Sylvie Ouimet and the other is a young man named James Berkeley Norris who went missing in South Florida who looks similar to your John Doe (except that he has facial hair). I am not sure if these are matches but it can’t hurt to look at them. I am faxing you their printed Doe Network pages, you can also visit the links below in order to get a better look at the photos:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/886dmfl.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2322dfqc.html

Both the above missing people have been ruled out by Verna's forensics guy. James Norris had a distinctive scar on his upper lip which the Sumter County John Doe did not, and Sylvie Ouimet did not have any moles/beauty marks on her face.
  • Several forum members are working on setting up MySpace pages on your John/Jane Doe. They are works in progress but are up and running. MySpace has a huge worldwide membership so we are hoping this will help get your case more notoriety. Here are the links to the MySpace pages:
Verna loves it that the myspace pages have been set up and says to tell you all how appreciative she is of your work. She is not very computer savvy so she appreciates being able to relay stuff to us by phone. (We've become friends and she has endeared herself to me in particular since I had a grandmother from the south who was a real pistol and Verna reminds me a lot of her. ;) )

ABOUT THE DNA: Verna is perturbed (to put it mildly) about the DNA. She has called several times on the status and is getting stonewalled. It is possible that it keeps getting put to the back of the pile in favor of higher priority cases that come up. As soon as she gets it back she will let us know.

ABOUT THE KOA Campground worker: She believes his wife is still alive and so she is going to try to talk to her about any recollections she has about the game of pool that was played by the John Doe and the conversation that took place. Verna said she will update me if she has a chance to get more info from this man's widow.

OTHER NEWS: It is possible that Verna may have an interest in this case by a psychic with a television show. I had heard about this person and their show and contacted them, and in turn, they contacted Verna. It is very tentative right now so I've been asked to hold off on the details, but the hope is that this person may at least be able to look at the case and give some impressions, even if the case is not the subject of a future show. I will post updates when I hear more about this from Verna.

Great work, rmf! Thanks for submitting the questions to Verna.

wow thanks alot, Im so glad Verna is such a great person, she hasnt given uo in 31 years so we won't either....

Wow! Great, RMF! Verne sounds like a nice person and she obviously does care very much about this case. Excellent!

Since there was so much talk about the girl's ring, does anyone happen to know what gemstone John Doe's linde star ring is?

Since there was so much talk about the girl's ring, does anyone happen to know what gemstone John Doe's linde star ring is?

Linde Star is the gem stone. Sapphire is the birthstone for September The blue variety is by far the most popular, however sapphire comes in almost every shade of the rainbow.
Linde star sapphires are man made sapphires of exceptional colors & quality. Production of these gemstones was halted in the mid 1980's due to the high cost. Star Sapphires are not all that expensive to buy.

My cousin was given a Linde Star ring upon his request when he graduated or maybe it was the Xmas before graduation. The date on his ring would be about 1968-69. (I will check with him to be certain.) I just remember it probably because he loved it so much. If it was a September stone...I know he wasn't born in that month...but he still asked for it!

Yeah, it's not a birth stone ring, I looked in to that when I did the research. The appeal of the ring is the 'linde star' design within the stone, not the sapphire gem itself.

I was really hoping the color of his linde star sapphire would point to a birth month, but that was a dead end.

Yeah, it's not a birth stone ring, I looked in to that when I did the research. The appeal of the ring is the 'linde star' design within the stone, not the sapphire gem itself.

I was really hoping the color of his linde star sapphire would point to a birth month, but that was a dead end.

You are correct the Linde Star Sapphire is not a birthstone ring however a sapphire is a birthstone for September. I also have a beautiful sapphire ring with diamonds just because I think the stone is very pretty ;)

A 14 karat gold ring with a gray linde star stone that had the initials JPF engraved on the inside.
Could this be a school ring? Also if the middle letter was larger than the others then it is his last name. Just food for thought.

A 14 karat gold ring with a gray linde star stone that had the initials JPF engraved on the inside.
Could this be a school ring? Also if the middle letter was larger than the others then it is his last name. Just food for thought.

It's possible.... however usually the high school and or the year are engraved on the sides of it. I had a ring almost identical to this back then but mine was a blue sapphire.

ok i do not live in america or canada.So could someone please help me with this.Where is mendocino county,california in relation to where this couple was found.much appreciated!

Mendocino County, California, on the west coast of the US, is 3,000 miles away from South Carolina, on the east coast of the US.

there is two unsolved missing person's cases on the doe net work (page 7).where a 13 and 14 year old boy and girl,found dead on the side of a main road in 1979 believed to have died in 78.Police thought they were related too but after dna tests were done,they were found not to be related.Very similar cases and it is probable to travel 3,000 miles in 2years.Anyone else find it creepy!

there is two unsolved missing person's cases on the doe net work (page 7).where a 13 and 14 year old boy and girl,found dead on the side of a main road in 1979 believed to have died in 78.Police thought they were related too but after dna tests were done,they were found not to be related.Very similar cases and it is probable to travel 3,000 miles in 2years.Anyone else find it creepy!

People are found dead on the side of the road all of the time I highly doubt the cases are related in any way. :)

Someone asked about the middle initial being bigger and the ME or detective (forget which) confirmed that all 3 initials were the same size.

Hi Everyone:

I received a call from Verna and I wanted to share the information we discussed.

Are you all sitting down?

Apparently the DNA samples that were taken in June were set aside in the state crime lab and FORGOTTEN ABOUT for four months!

Of course Verna was fit to be tied and raised hades about this... so now the samples are in the hands of the DNA techs in Texas.

I don't want to slam LE but it's no wonder this case has been unsolved for over 30 years!?!

About the psychic with the TV show: she has been in contact with Verna and unfortunately cannot help her because she must have one of the objects found on the victims to hold; either clothing or the jewelry. Because LE regards this as an open case, the objects cannot be sent to this person, which is a real bummer.

Verna will let me know what happens with the DNA but in the mean time she says to tell you all not to forget about her or this couple and to keep the leads coming!

Hi Everyone:

I received a call from Verna and I wanted to share the information we discussed.

Are you all sitting down?

Apparently the DNA samples that were taken in June were set aside in the state crime lab and FORGOTTEN ABOUT for four months!

Of course Verna was fit to be tied and raised hades about this... so now the samples are in the hands of the DNA techs in Texas.

I don't want to slam LE but it's no wonder this case has been unsolved for over 30 years!?!

About the psychic with the TV show: she has been in contact with Verna and unfortunately cannot help her because she must have one of the objects found on the victims to hold; either clothing or the jewelry. Because LE regards this as an open case, the objects cannot be sent to this person, which is a real bummer.

Verna will let me know what happens with the DNA but in the mean time she says to tell you all not to forget about her or this couple and to keep the leads coming!

This doesn't surprise me at all Things like that happen every day. Hopefully we will finally know soon about the DNA. I know everybody has their opinion about psychics but I personally do not have much faith in them. Thanks for the news rmf :clap: :clap:

This doesn't surprise me at all Things like that happen every day. Hopefully we will finally know soon about the DNA. I know everybody has their opinion about psychics but I personally do not have much faith in them. Thanks for the news rmf :clap: :clap:

I hear ya Teresa on the psychic thing. I think that Verna is disappointed because getting on this show would mean national exposure for this case, which she would really like right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling