Deceased/Not Found Canada - Lyle, 78, & Marie McCann, 77, Alberta, 5 July 2010 #1 *T. Vader guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Son releases message to missing Alberta couple

The son of a missing Alberta couple continues to hold on to hope as he appeals for the public's help in their suspicious disappearance.

"We know you're out there. You may be hurt," Bret McCann said Tuesday. "But we're looking as hard as we can for you."

"They were going to pick up (my sister) at the Abbotsford, B.C. airport and spend a week together camping near Chilliwack area but they didn't show up," McCann told CTV's Canada AM Wednesday. "That's when we found out that they were missing."

The RCMP has characterized the couple's disappearance as "extremely suspicious."

Both police and family think the key to the case is the couple's missing green Hyundai Tucson SUV.

"We need to get the word out to people, they were towing a Hyundai SUV behind them, and that has not been found," McCann said. "We are very hopeful that by doing these media broadcasts that people will be alerted to this and be on the lookout . . . and phone the police."

"We are hoping my parents are somehow with that vehicle, they might be hurt, but we hope we can find them through that."

"The RCMP are fully engaged here," he said. "They are keeping us up-to-date every day."
The RCMP has been monitoring the couple's cellphone and credit card usage, but report there has been no activity since July 5.

On Sunday, Bret McCann started a Facebook dedicated to the search for his parents. As of Wednesday morning, there were nearly 3,500 members.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...berta-couple-100714/20100714/?hub=CalgaryHome

Didn't ANYONE see this huge RV burning on July 3rd,4th,5th?????? It would have been a huge smoke plume, wouldn't it?

Not many people must travel the road it was located on, that is for sure. But you would think someone would have seen the smoke, wouldn't you?

Perhaps it was burned at night, making the smoke more difficult to see. Surely it would have been black smoke during the day, and would have been seen. I wonder if an accelerant was used?

There must not have been anything around the RV, or that would have caught fire too, wouldn't it?

Was the RV "discovered engulfed in flames earlier this month" as this article says, and if so was that July 5th (meaning the fire was set on the 5th)?

The same article states that "the wreckage was found two days after the St. Albert couple had left on a trip to B.C.’s Fraser Valley."

So, was it "wreckage" or a burning RV that was found on the 5th?

Right now what we're doing is [re-examining] the scene where the vehicle was found burned,” he said. “We're working with the family trying to determine all the possible stops the people may have made.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...alberta-couple-mystery-widens/article1638563/

When the police went to the couple's door after discovering the burning RV (huge one, I may add, who would NOT have seen or smelt the fire from THAT?) did they not ask their neighbours about their plans, if they were on vacation, etc???? I seems obvious that they should have notified relatives that the RV was burnt!! WTH!

I saw photos of the "wreckage" and I can't believe a vehicle of that size was completely destroyed by flame. The fire would have had to been very very hot and lasted awhile, in my opinion. I will try to find a photo of the wreckage. I'm not sure why the term wreckage is being used and if it means that the RV was wrecked in a crash accident or vandalized as well as burnt.

Not sure if this will work:

ImageShrinker

There appears to be some sort of animal kennel in the picture here on Post #4 made by RubyRed.

Did the McCann's have a dog or cat that they travelled with?

There appears to be some sort of animal kennel in the picture here on Post #4 made by RubyRed.

Did the McCann's have a dog or cat that they travelled with?

I noticed that too. Someone posted on their facebook that the photo with the kennel was taken a few years ago and that they no longer had a pet.

Mr.McCann is a retired truck driver, so I would think he would have everything "just so" on his RV. I wonder if the spare tire had been put on the RV at all, due to a possible breakdown or whatever?

Not sure if this will work:

ImageShrinker

Oh, gosh, thanks for that. It was driven off the "road" then. In the bush, and the bush isn't burnt. Curious. Looks like they have had rain, and maybe the RV went offroad AFTER the rain, since the tracks look like they "skidded"?

I'm not sure if the tire tracks may be from forensics trucks pulling whatever the remains were of the vehicle away.

Oh, gosh, thanks for that. It was driven off the "road" then. In the bush, and the bush isn't burnt. Curious. Looks like they have had rain, and maybe the RV went offroad AFTER the rain, since the tracks look like they "skidded"?

I'm guessing that it was from all of the fire and LE vehicles attending to the site and the towing out of the wreckage.

From the local St. Albert news:
Family coping after couple goes missing
http://www.saintcitynews.com/article/20100712/STALBERT0101/100719999/0/STALBERT0303/family-coping-after-couple-goes-missing

Edson Fire Department chief Al Schram said the call came in about the motorhome around 7 p.m. that day.
“We sent our crews down there and located the burning RV. When we got there, it was fully involved,” Schram said. “Our crews extinguished the fire. RCMP were on scene, so we turned it over to the RCMP and came back to Edson.”
Schram said crews didn't notice anything suspicious about the fire at the time, but since police were there, they didn't look too closely.
“On the investigation side, it's kind of out of our jurisdiction on that, so our guys really didn't dig into that too deep,” he said. “They did the extinguishment, secured the area, made the sure the fire wasn't going to spread, and once it was completely out, turned it over to the RCMP.”

To me, the biggest red flag in this entire situation is the significant elapsed time between the McCanns leaving the Edmonton area on the morning of July 3 and the finding of the RV burning in the evening of July 5, not very far from their departure point. Most of the scenarios that I can think of that don't involve foul play I've had to dismiss because of this elapsed time.

Wondergirl and Matou,

Have you watched the videos I posted above (post # 33). Those first 2 videos contain answers to some (not all) of your questions. The other link contains more videos that you might want to watch for bits and pieces of information, as well to view the area.

The reporter says the RV was burnt to the ground. That picture you just posted is were the RV was found; not the picture of the wreckage. The LE officer says that the wreckage (frame) is being forensically analyzed ... there were campers in the campground who are being re-interviewed; LE also answers regarding their bank accounts and cellphone activities.

I'm guessing that it from all of the fire and LE vehicles attending to the site.

http://www.saintcitynews.com/article/20100712/STALBERT0101/100719999/0/STALBERT0303/family-coping-after-couple-goes-missing

To me, the biggest red flag in this entire situation is the significant elapsed time between the McCanns leaving the Edmonton area on the morning of July 3 and the finding of the RV burning in the evening of July 5, not very far from their departure point. Most of the scenarios that I can think of that don't involve foul play I've had to dismiss because of this elapsed time.

I am there with you Snoopster. They were seen at 9 am at the gas station, it wouldn't take them 2 days to reach that lake, and from all I have read so far, it seems unlikely that they drove the RV to the location were it was found. :( Also that RV towing the SUV would have been something people in the area would remember. Why no witnesses?
have to leave now, hope to be back soon

I saw photos of the "wreckage" and I can't believe a vehicle of that size was completely destroyed by flame. The fire would have had to been very very hot and lasted awhile, in my opinion. I will try to find a photo of the wreckage. I'm not sure why the term wreckage is being used and if it means that the RV was wrecked in a crash accident or vandalized as well as burnt.

Perhaps the explanation of how a vehicle of that size was completely destroyed by flame lies in the fact that there are flammable items associated with a motorhome (in addition to the fuel tanks, of course). I'm certainly no expert, so that is just a guess on my part.

When looking for any previous incidents of a Gulf Stream Sun Voyager catching on fire I came across this:

1999 GULF STREAM SUN VOYAGER Recall - EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE
Problem: CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES, FIFTH WHEEL AND TRAVEL TRAILERS EQUIPPED WITH A TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATOR, MANUFACTURED BY THE DOMETIC CORPORATION, MAY HAVE A DEFECT IN THE BOILER TUBE. PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION COULD BE RELEASED INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT. Recall Details

Source:
http://www.arfc.org/rvs/gulf_stream/sun_voyager/recalls.aspx

As far as the extent of the damage to the RV before the fire was extinguished, I would presume that the two main contributing factors were, 1) it took a while for the fire to be noticed (remote area), and, 2) it would have taken a while for the fire trucks to reach the area from Edson.

I'm guessing that it from all of the fire and LE vehicles attending to the site.

http://www.saintcitynews.com/articl...T0303/family-coping-after-couple-goes-missing

Thank-you so much, Snoopster, for this link.

This gives a great indication of the timeline, then.

Wondergirl and Matou,

Have you watched the videos I posted above (post # 33). Those first 2 videos contain answers to some (not all) of your questions. The other link contains more videos that you might want to watch for bits and pieces of information, as well to view the area.

The reporter says the RV was burnt to the ground. That picture you just posted is were the RV was found; not the picture of the wreckage. The LE officer says that the wreckage (frame) is being forensically analyzed ... there were campers in the campground who are being re-interviewed; LE also answers regarding their bank accounts and cellphone activities.

No, haven't had a chance to watch any videos yet, but thanks for that, I certainly will. I am curious to know the answers to my questions.

I just found this thread. What a horrible set of circumstances. My prayers for this couple and their family.

These two are such an adorable, happy couple. I pray they are found soon.

When I first heard about this missing elderly couple I thought back about the case of Allen & Margaret Berrington - they went missing here in Alberta a month ago...

A sad & still mysterious ending to their story IMO and i can't help but wonder if there's someone out there preying on the elderly...(their case has been closed, but very strange circumstances at least imo)

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Allen...7GGLL_en&redir_esc=&ei=zyQ-TL2YJ4O0lQfvz-n4BQ

Hoping for a positive outcome in the case of Lyle & Marie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak