NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that interesting on more than one level....if he can't pay bills how in the heck is he managing a facebook account? I know it is possible it is not him but dadgum should he not be out searching somewhere for his child? I am pretty sure FB would not be my interest at this time....of course if he does not have a phone or can't afford the rates , this may be his way of communicating with family. Still he has to be paying for an ISP I would think or maybe he is using someone elses.......gosh I am rambling. forgive me and I am trying not to be judgemental here and I am very aware no one grieves the same way....having lost a child I just don't get how some of these folks handle this stress.:banghead:

Let's face it he probably can't afford the cost of international phone calls and this is the only way to keep in touch with his family in Oz - not defending but I can see why he would join up.

But the state's own reviews show it's not uncommon for children to die in North Carolina under suspicious circumstances while their families are under DSS supervision or had recent contact with social workers.
At least 137 children died during a recent five-year period in cases where abuse or neglect were suspected to have contributed - even though DSS had contact with their families within 12 months before they died, the Observer found. That's up from 119 deaths during the prior five years. And it comes at a time when child deaths overall in the state are at a record low.
Most of the 137 died from illnesses or accidents, but at least 26 became victims of homicide, usually committed by relatives or caregivers.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/17/1767517/missing-girls-case-highlights.html#ixzz12abI2y71

There is a cousin of KB (grandma) on the FB page. (in the comment section under the first link) Intials JH saying that AB and KB had a falling out when he decided to take Zahra to the states and they have not spoken since and that Zahra did NOT want to go.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-...story_fbid=104229806311654&id=124056834314060

Obviously no way to verify at this point whether these statements are true, but seems to me to be consistent with the body of actual and circumstantial evidence we have so far. And if KB hadn't spoken to AB since the move to the US, I doubt she'd have spoken to Zahra either. OF course, hardly her fault, if he wouldn't let her, but given that Zahra is both an Australian citizen and a child with documented history of life-threatening medical probelms, there were legal avenues to pursue, to get her safety checked on and retruned to Australia if found to be in danger, and as far as we've heard, those avenues weren't pursued.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/17/1767640/woman-may-have-been-last-to-see.html

As the investigation enters its second week, the community is rallying around the police department and its chief, Tom Adkins.

Hank Guess said residents are frustrated that they can't do more, but have faith that local police officers will find Zahra, hopefully alive.

"People are not treating this like just another case," said Guess, a city councilman. "There is a lot of compassion."

Adkins' compassion has resonated with the public. During an emotional press conference Monday, he bit his lip to hold back tears when he declared the case was being turned into a homicide investigation.

Adkins is an advocate for children, having served as a board member of the Children's Advocacy Center of Catawba County and a volunteer with the Children's Protection Council.

City Council member Jill Patton described Adkins as a thorough and methodical leader.

I find that interesting on more than one level....if he can't pay bills how in the heck is he managing a facebook account? I know it is possible it is not him but dadgum should he not be out searching somewhere for his child? I am pretty sure FB would not be my interest at this time....of course if he does not have a phone or can't afford the rates , this may be his way of communicating with family. Still he has to be paying for an ISP I would think or maybe he is using someone elses.......gosh I am rambling. forgive me and I am trying not to be judgemental here and I am very aware no one grieves the same way....having lost a child I just don't get how some of these folks handle this stress.:banghead:

My guess is AB isn't saying at his home ... perhaps with a family member or friend? So I'd think he's using their computer and connection.

ETA: I agree that he's done it to update his mom. He added her and several other family members.

Would it be frowned upon that SM didn't have a job given that Zahra was school-aged?

In Australia, it is somewhat acceptable to be a 'stay-at-home-mum' if your child isn't at school but once they are, it's expected the primary care giver will seek employment. Which of course, I think is reasonable.

Is there any stigma attached to someone choosing not to work if 1) it's physically possible and 2) the child(ren) are at school (i.e. not requiring childcare)

MOO I cant and wouldnt speak for everyone but I feel being a stay at home mom/dad is one of the hardest JOBS there is. I wish I could afford to do it on a full time basis. I know alot of people feel guilty about working outside the home but have to for a financial reason. I also know those who would go crazy staying at home all the time. I have been home since May due to finances making me close my business and am loving it but I also know I will soon have to get a job not just because we need the extra income but because if I dont my social security when im older wont be enough to sustain me if something happens to my husband. We dont get any social security benifit fom being stay at home moms or dads. So its either work now or struggle in old age.

Maybe from private disability insurance but you can't get SSA disability for gambling addiction. Nor for drug or alcohol addiction unless you would still be disabled if you were to abstain from drugs or alcohol (ie the drugs or alcohol have damaged your health to the point that you would not recover).

Sometimes a person doesn't really know what they were approved for. Or they don't tell their friends and family the real reason :crazy:

I didn't dig into details. It may have been private, or a state program as opposed to federal.

Obviously no way to verify at this point whether these statements are true, but seems to me to be consistent with the body of actual and circumstantial evidence we have so far. And if KB hadn't spoken to AB since the move to the US, I doubt she'd have spoken to Zahra either. OF course, hardly her fault, if he wouldn't let her, but given that Zahra is both an Australian citizen and a child with documented history of life-threatening medical probelms, there were legal avenues to pursue, to get her safety checked on and retruned to Australia if found to be in danger, and as far as we've heard, those avenues weren't pursued.

I don't know if there was too much the Bakers (grandparents) could do legally to be honest. Zahra was in the care of her custodial parent. Knowing the Australian Foreign Department and the way they work I don't think she would have got a lot of assistance. I think maybe the only thing she could have done is hire a PI in the states and try to track them down that way.

I don't think it has, I know an Australian woman in America doing just that as we speak. She moved over to be with her soul mate she met on the internet, moved over about 6 mths ago - I kid you not. She is also crossing the border into Canada although I'm not sure how long you can keep doing this for.

I know in one case it was easily done for about 4 years without any hassles from immigrations, it was never even questioned.

In the situation that I'm aware of, this guy met a woman while in college that was in the U.S. from somewhere in Europe, seems like it was Italy on a student visa. After college and said student visa expiring, she returned back to her home country. She stayed there for 3 weeks, came right back to the U.S. on a visitor's waiver and like clock work every 85ish or so days, she took a mini-vacation to Canada and re-entered.

They married at some point, I can't remember if it was while they were still in college or not, I know their child was born about 3 years before either of them graduated.

They actually hired an immigrations lawyer, and the lawyer told them "off the record, as a friend" how to do this while they waited out the process.

They did this for about 4 years before they managed to get her permanent status, around 2-years-ago.

There are more holes in so many of our laws, a hunk of Swiss cheese would be jealous.

The thing with the visa waiver, is that it clearly states for both Australia and the U.S. that while on it, you can't do anything that would allow for permanent residence, marriage being one of them.

That said, however, the fact they married in Australia, EB could have gone over on a visitor's waiver, they married on the condition they would be leaving Australia before the expiration of her trip.

This can be done, as I know a woman from another message board that did just this, albeit in New Zealand, but the laws between Australia and New Zealand regarding visitor's visas aren't that different.

After the marriage there, I can think of two things that could have been done.

1: They were honest and filed for a spousal visa from within Australia for AB and did it the "proper" way.

2: Upon leaving Australia, AB came over on a visitor's waiver.

2A: Filed to change visa status after arriving here.

2B: Worked the loopholes.

2C: Visa expired and over extended stay.

Even after 911, trust me, INS doesn't keep too close of tabs on people over staying their visa, unless there is a cause for concern.

Based from their arrival, a man with his young daughter, from an ally nation, would not necessarily trigger a threat to security.

All of the Mexicans, Jamaicans and Haitians that have over extended their stays on temporary work permits and visa waivers aren't a big enough threat that INS goes and rounds them up often.

If they did, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida (that I can swear to,) wouldn't be as over run.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/...egal-trouble-follow-zahras-parents-ar-462500/

They were arrested on May 22, 2010 and charged with communicating threats against Elisa’s niece Brittany Bentley, her fiancé Zackery Tyler and the couple’s 7-month-old daughter. The threats stemmed from an outstanding debt Bentley owed them, according to the arrest warrant.

“He (Adam Baker) chased me and my fiancée. He literally tried to run us off the road twice,” wrote Tyler in the complaint accompanying the warrant. “He got in the opposite lane, swerved at the driver’s side and we had to swerve to keep from getting hit, then he passed us and slammed his brakes. We had to slam our brakes and still almost hit him.”

The article states that he was arrested several times. Oh boy...here we go, the truth is out on this guy now.

I'm pretty sure AB mother's is asking "Where the hell is my granddaughter!"

I really hope people focus on just how horrible this child was treated when she was with that woman. I want that horrid human to pay for the torture she inflicted on that sweet amazing little girl...

"Corrine Yount, 15, and her friend Brandy Hefner, 16, took out an arrest warrant on Baker for communicating threats on May 23, 2010.

Yount said the incident began when she and her friend noticed Zahra crying as she walked up a steep hill behind her house.

“She was making Zahra walk up the hill by herself because that’s how she would punish her because she (Elisa) knew it would hurt Zahra’s leg,” Yount said.

Baker came out of her trailer and started screaming and threatening the girls.

“She said, ‘I’m going to teach these two teenagers a lesson and whip their butts,’” Yount said.

Baker continued to shout threats until Hefner’s mother came out of the house and asked what was going on and Baker left, according to the arrest warrant.
Yount said she spoke to Zahra a few times and saw that she was a very sweet girl. She also said people in the neighborhood knew Baker was abusive to Zahra and they tried to get law enforcement involved.

“You could hear Zahra screaming and Elisa yelling at her, so we would call the police,” Yount said. “We called DSS (the Caldwell County Department of Social Services) on her too, but they never did anything.”
http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/...egal-trouble-follow-zahras-parents-ar-462500/

Horrid wicked woman. :furious: I can just see her massive mouth wailing at that tiny child, forcing her up that hill while she screamed in pain. There are so many horrible words I want to say right now and such anger that I think I need to go for a drive and cool off.

I'm pretty sure AB mother's is asking "Where the hell is my granddaughter!"
I'll bet she is too. I would really like to know if she tried to keep in contact. Maybe she doesn't have a computer or internet - so that would only leave phone. International calls aren't cheap and if she did the initiating it would cost her then maybe they would let it go to voice mail and she would give up.

I can't express how much I disagree with- people predisposed to addiction may never try drugs but still become addicted to something else-shopping, video games etc.

And many people who try drugs in the first place are self medicating that is not a character flaw it is a chemical unbalance.

Or to WebSleuthing. But good luck trying to get on the disability dole for that. Yes, it's the "generic lowlife" addictions that qualify for many forms of disability payments/welfare/etc. Excessive shopping, video-gaming, or WebSleuthing simply don't.

They were arrested on May 22, 2010 and charged with communicating threats against Elisa’s niece Brittany Bentley, her fiancé Zackery Tyler and the couple’s 7-month-old daughter. The threats stemmed from an outstanding debt Bentley owed them, according to the arrest warrant.

“He (Adam Baker) chased me and my fiancée. He literally tried to run us off the road twice,” wrote Tyler in the complaint accompanying the warrant. “He got in the opposite lane, swerved at the driver’s side and we had to swerve to keep from getting hit, then he passed us and slammed his brakes. We had to slam our brakes and still almost hit him.”

The article states that he was arrested several times. Oh boy...here we go, the truth is out on this guy now.

He was arrested but the threat charges were Dismissed with leave by the DA.

With leave, just means the DA has the option of re-filing if new evidence comes into play. Doesn't mean they will, just that they can.

He was also charged with the fraud charges that EB was charged with and those were also Dismissed with leave by the DA.

The only outstanding warrants for him are on the bad check charges. The chief stated this the other day.

I'll bet she is too. I would really like to know if she tried to keep in contact. Maybe she doesn't have a computer or internet - so that would only leave phone. International calls aren't cheap and if she did the initiating it would cost her then maybe they would let it go to voice mail and she would give up.

JH is KB's cousin and she says there was a falling out over AB taking Zahra to America. It sounds like they didn't speak once AB left for the States. She would not have had a phone number to call, if this is all true.

Link on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=104229806311654&id=124056834314060

Fake SS cards are easy to get. EB could have already gotten a hold of one for Zahra and one for EB - then they could have "backed in" to faking their passports as US instead of Aus.

I still say it was to get all the entitlements they could over here. We all know EB was a scammer - so you can bet she knew all about medicaid, section 8 (biggie for paying all or a big part of your rent), food stamps, AFDC (which is straight money onto a debit card) etc.

Oh, I bet you're absolutely right! If only I knew such ways I might be eating steak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam