GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel a sense of overwhelming grief looking at the photos.. an even deeper sense of my Irishness, and I'm the least 'Irish' orientated person I know. mostly despise everything about this country, but I am filled with a sense of our history, the Famine ships, the loss of innocence.
They had to travel so far.. cap in hand.. for justice for their brother, a justice that is in no way guaranteed..
hearts broken, and subjected to the laws governing another country, just because their brother was there when he was murdered.
Out-lawyered, out numbered and less sophisticated.. all I can think of doing right now is to pray for them all.
(sorry for this outburst)

I am glad to see that friends have rallied and travelled with them...it is going to be so hard to sit through all the evidence, my heart goes out to them.

Just wondering if there is precedent for a trained FBI agent giving evidence in their own self defense? Would the jury be advised that as a trained member of the FBI, then it is likely that TM has had formal training in how to be interviewed/how to portray an image of his choosing etc etc?
Good point. Also I question why they reports from sources close to defence tell of the view point that putting MM on the stand isnt likelyas mentioned in this morning's papers.

MM is a witness to events on Aug 2nd and has until now used her voice quiet often in her own defence.

To me it seems wrong because they are being tried together so would TM testimony alone not in fact sway Jurors either way on both defendants rather than individual testimony on both their parts ?

So essentially again he is taking the lead for his daughter.

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

I feel a sense of overwhelming grief looking at the photos.. an even deeper sense of my Irishness, and I'm the least 'Irish' orientated person I know. mostly despise everything about this country, but I am filled with a sense of our history, the Famine ships, the loss of innocence.
They had to travel so far.. cap in hand.. for justice for their brother, a justice that is in no way guaranteed..
hearts broken, and subjected to the laws governing another country, just because their brother was there when he was murdered.
Out-lawyered, out numbered and less sophisticated.. all I can think of doing right now is to pray for them all.
(sorry for this outburst)

I share your sentiment . The only consolation we can have is they know that we all stand with them . They know they have so much support

Good point. Also I question why they reports from sources close to defence tell of the view point that putting MM on the stand isnt likelyas mentioned in this morning's papers.

MM is a witness to events on Aug 2nd and has until now used her voice quiet often in her own defence.

To me it seems wrong because they are being tried together so would TM testimony alone not in fact sway Jurors either way on both defendants rather than individual testimony on both their parts ?

It is considered a bad idea generally to put the defendant on the stand. Most defense lawyers will advise against it.

I think they are doing their utmost to portray Molly as the victim in this case - too meek/too vulnerable to testify, her Father will protect her once again and take the stand for both of them. Aside from the fact that I think it would be hard to control her volatility under direct questioning from the prosecution (as we saw in the 'my name is MMC' outburst) I think it is a direct ploy from the defense to surrepticiously convince the jury of Molly's innocence.

Check out the clothing today...in every other court appearance she has dressed in smart, fitted clothes. Today no heels, loose high necked dress and flouncy cardi, very limited make up and simple hair. They are dressing her for the defense they are giving her IMO.

I think they are doing their utmost to portray Molly as the victim in this case - too meek/too vulnerable to testify, her Father will protect her once again and take the stand for both of them. Aside from the fact that I think it would be hard to control her volatility under direct questioning from the prosecution (as we saw in the 'my name is MMC' outburst) I think it is a direct ploy from the defense to surrepticiously convince the jury of Molly's innocence.

Check out the clothing today...in every other court appearance she has dressed in smart, fitted clothes. Today no heels, loose high necked dress and flouncy cardi, very limited make up and simple hair. They are dressing her for the defense they are giving her IMO.
Totally agree. I don't think she even has make up on from what I can see in the pic. It's odd to anyone who has followed the case as her appearence until now was notably different.

It is considered a bad idea generally to put the defendant on the stand. Most defense lawyers will advise against it.
TM defence seem to be pretty confident putting him up there. Noted by logic lady he may in the nature of his job feel very comfortable on the stand.

We should expect no less
[h=3]Charcoal, Navy and Blue[/h]In general, these are the best colors to wear to court. They’re not as severe as black, and they complement many colors of shirts and ties. Many years ago at trial college, an instructor claimed that blue was the best color to wear to court because blue connoted “the truth.”
[h=2]What About Shoes?[/h]Keep it simple: Black or dark brown lace-ups. Another lawyer said to never wear square toes, so I’ll toss that suggestion in here, too.
[h=2]Dress Appropriately[/h]I’ve read several lawyers’ blogs where they recommend dressing as if you’re going to your mother’s synagogue or church, or to your grandmother’s for Thanksgiving dinner. I suppose they’re using the mother/grandmother angle to reinforce the idea of respectfulness, modesty and cleanliness, all of which are good guidelines.
I read another lawyer’s blog in which he counseled young lawyers to dress sedately, but once they started getting a few gray hairs, they could dress however they wanted for court. Uh, not true. I have more than a few gray hairs, and I’d never dress any way I want for the courtroom unless I want my case to be treated any ‘ol way the judge wants. Doesn’t matter if you’re twenty-six or eighty-six, first impressions still count.
http://shaunkaufmanlaw.com/2014/03/...ar-to-court-by-denver-attorney-shaun-kaufman/

http://www.thejuryexpert.com/2012/0...ing-witness-attire-makes-the-right-statement/

DON'T - Wear a black suit. A woman’s suit color can impact jurors’ perceptions of her. Academic research suggests that people can make negative or positive attributions about a person based on the colors they are wearing; and this fact is particularly true for women. For example, people wearing black have been perceived by others as aggressive; and for women specifically, black may convey a “cold” persona. Therefore, a female witness should steer away from wearing a black suit

[video=twitter;886996323450454016]https://twitter.com/AlexRoseNews/status/886996323450454016[/video]

"You will try to find the truth and reach a verdict or verdicts in this case," Judge Lee said.
"You alone will determine the truth."
Judge Lee noted that the jurors did not volunteer and were randomly chosen by the Davidson County Jury Commission.Qualifying jurors must be aged 18 or over, must be English speaking, be citizens of both North Carolina and Davidson County and must not be disqualified from serving on a jury through any convictions.
Judge Lee said it was "very important" that all jurors fully complete the questions and circle the names of any potential witnesses they may know.
Jurors were also told they should indicate if they had previously heard or read about the trial matters involved.
It is expected that as well as 12 jurors the trial will see a number of alternate or replacement jurors also being sworn in.
Selecting a jury could take until Wednesday.
Once the selection process concludes, Greg Brown will open the case for the prosecution.
http://www.independent.ie/world-new...rbett-opens-with-jury-selection-35939585.html

Can anyone hear the audio between TM and lawyer? Clearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member