VA - Alexis Murphy, 17, Shipman, 3 Aug 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with no stone; you can't not discuss the very obvious. I realize she is missing and is possibly abducted but we don't even know that yet, Im sad the car was found; as that isn't good at all. No character assassination from me but we have to state the very obvious.

That cat may have been in jail during the time Harrington disappeared and was murdered. It was mentioned in an earlier post and we can keep looking for info. But the FBI involvement this soon shows they do not think she ran off.

Wait. So LE has been in touch with Harrington's parents? And the FBI has been in full force from the get go - and have decided that this case warrants their jurisdiction over it? And the cat that killed his wife on 29 just down the road looks like the sketch of Harrington's killer?

Hmm.

If you care to google..I don't sorry watching AS trial... the state police and FBI became involved on Monday. jmo

Taylordescribed her niece as “a fun-loving person” whose interests range from fashion to photography to her NelsonCountyHigh Schoolvolleyball team.
While other students may dread the end of summer, Murphy was excited to return to school, her cousin Angela Vest said.
Vest said she doubts the teen would run away.
“She was a good girl. … The whole thing is just unbelievable,” Vest said.
Taylorsaid the rising senior has begun looking at colleges and is considering pursuing a career in accounting.
Murphy always clocks into work on time at Kid to Kid, where she recently began working, Taylorsaid.
And she calls ahead when running late as curfew approaches.
“Her cell phone is like her sixth finger,” Taylorsaid.
That is why her family found it disconcerting when she stopped answering the phone in recent days.
Now, calls go straight to voicemail, her aunt said.
Friends and family have been spreading the word of Murphy’s disappearance through Facebookand fliers posted around town.
http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/f...cle_15994138-ff0d-11e2-b817-001a4bcf6878.html

1) MH parents: is there a link

http://www.wsls.com/story/23072811/gil-harrington-talks-about-moments-after-a-loved-on-goes-missing

2) we do not know why the fbi has taken over the case. Only that they were called in. It could be related to the computer (possible cyber crime)

No, but we know why they do not or cannot take over a case. A potential cybercrime in a missing person's case would certainly warrant their assistance, but it would not give them outright jurisdiction.

There needs to be some compelling evidence that allows them to overtake an otherwise state and local case. This case evidently has such evidence, but we don't yet know what it is.

http://www.wsls.com/story/23072811/gil-harrington-talks-about-moments-after-a-loved-on-goes-missing

No, but we know why they do not or cannot take over a case. A potential cybercrime in a missing person's case would certainly warrant their assistance, but it would not give them outright jurisdiction.

There needs to be some compelling evidence that allows them to overtake an otherwise state and local case. This case evidently has such evidence, but we don't yet know what it is.

correct.

we don't know.

the last article I posted had a VA SP officer giving the statement to the media. Who knows who is in charge. I am glad the fbi is there: assisting or otherwise.

I think the headline on this article is somewhat misleading. LE states that there is no current information linking the two cases - not that there is no link. It also starts off by stating "despite some similarities in the cases" and also goes on to insinuate that those similarities are the reason the FBI is the lead (which, despite the state official being the media contact in this article, it clearly states that the FBI is the lead inveetigating agency).

Despite some similarities in the cases, investigators say there is no current information tying the disappearance of a Nelson County girl to the death of Roanoke County college student Morgan Harrington.

Though the FBI is the lead agency in Murphy’s disappearance, a Virginia State Police spokeswoman said there’s no current information to connect the two cases.

If this article is true, then it could mean that the reason the FBI is the lead is because they suspect it might be tied, but they have no current evidence linking it. Though I would imagine for the FBI to be the lead, there would need to be concrete evidence of a specific kind of crime that gives them the authority to assume jurisdiction.

I am confused.

yes tonto: they are not currently related. (unless something else develops or we hear more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave