Trial - Ross Harris #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
His matter-of-fact description of what happened will be a central point of debate.

"I knew that I had done what every parent in their life fears they've done and that's just leaving their son in the car on a hot day," Harris told detectives.

Harris said this was his "worst fear"

During the second round of questioning, Harris told detectives that he recently saw a news report about a father who had left his child in a hot car. He also says he just watched a video made by a veterinarian about how hot it gets for a dog left inside a car.

"My worst fear for me is to leave my son in a hot car," Harris said.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/ross-harr...he-stand-in-the-hot-car-death-trial/459427636
===================================================================================

I find that portion of his interview ASTOUNDING.

So it was his GREATEST FEAR? And he had seen previous reports about it, even said that the grieving father, who became an advocate, had told others to MAKE SURE TO LOOK AT THE CAR SEAT each time you leave your car.

Coopers car seat was just inches away. If he just slightly turned his head to the right, he could see the baby seat. That is all he had to do to avert his 'greatest fear' from happening.

I would find this whole tragedy more believable as an accident if he didn't know it was a possible danger. But he says it was his BIGGEST FEAR, He knew how to avert it, he recently saw a report on it, and also saw report on how hot the cars can get. And yet, within a matter of a minute, he forgets which way to turn to daycare, and then never ever turns his face two inches to the right, as he drives to work? Sits in his car for 33 seconds, never looks right, even though he grabs stuff from the passenger seat?

When you add this 'knowledge' about the potential deadly danger, to his current ambivalence about having a wife and a son, it is a deadly mix.

Evidence admitted into court supporting the prosecution's case JRH premeditated Cooper's murder:

5. The lightbulbs and other odd things: JRH did not want to go to lunch unless someone else was driving. JRH claimed he wanted to leave work to get to the movies on time. JRH agreed to go out to lunch with his friends, and then took an even longer car ride to Home Depot where he picked up light bulbs. He asked friends to drop him off at his car. He opened the car door and tossed the light bulbs in. While walking back in to work, he paused when another pedestrian was walking behind his car. When leaving work, he was walking in small faltering steps. On the way out, he shared his afternoon plans with the Home Depot security door greeter, something he had never done before in his employment there.

SBBM

Whoa! I have not watched all of the testimony, but I have carefully followed these threads and yet this detail totally went over my head! Would someone please tell me more? Was it clear to you in the video that he was taking "small faltering steps"? Did the defense challenge this at all?

Thanks in advance.

I'm still watching video of the trial but so far I do not see enough evidence of 1st degree murder. I think Harris is a weirdo but everyone says he really loved that boy.

That is why he is not charged with 1st degree murder. He is charged with felony murder, which means that he caused a death during the commission of a felony (2nd degree child cruelty and IIRC, the sexting with a minor.) The state does not have to prove malice or intent, just that RH committed the felony of child cruelty. The fact that Cooper died during the commission of the felony is what makes it felony murder.

...One thing that I noticed over and over again was his over explaining things and asking questions of law enforcement. Ex: during the discussion of the car seat, he asks the detective, "Do you have kids? Right then you know blah, blah, blah...." I can't explain other than to say it sounds too flippant and casual for the life-changing, horrific circumstance he found himself in. Someone who is distraught to the point of screaming, pulling on their hair, asking why, why, why cannot (in my opinion) turn on a dime and talk in a chit-chat manner as he was doing...

<respectfully snipped>

Flippant is a great way to categorize Ross' behavior and that of Leanna, as well. I know I'm repeating myself when I say that both are not likeable people. From the beginning of the case, Cooper's parents seemed arrogant, cocky, haughty, and, yes, flippant. I don't like either of them and have a difficult time feeling sympathy for these parents whose young child suffered an agonizing death because his father allegedly forgot to drop him off at day care. :stormingmad:

I am thinking of all the daycare workers who would see them everyday. He would come in extra to see Cooper many times, not just once or twice. My concern is about the car seat, whether he recently changed to the rear facing or did he have that one all along? I haven't gotten to anything about that yet in the trial. Bad character traits and weird reactions to his son's death is not enough to find someone guilty of first degree. I would find him guilty of manslaughter so far.
I have this feeling he wasn't just dropping in to the childcare centre to see Cooper. I think there's still some secrets. Wasn't there a computer at their home that had the hard drive missing???? Seems like destroying evidence to me.

By divorcing RH prior to trial, LH will not be responsible for any fees, fines or restitution the court orders Ross to pay.

MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By divorcing RH prior to trial, LH will not be responsible for any fees, fines or restitution the court orders Ross to pay.

MOO

She should show up to court with a nice tall good looking stud by her side. And remind Ross That his stud days are over.

I believe Ross was able to put on the "family" act around others, but they certainly didn't know the other side of him AND they also didn't know how he acted with Cooper when they were alone. I'm sure there was a part of him that loved his son but I also believe Cooper got in the way of his other life that I think he really wanted.

I tease my husband that he has a behavior I call "show parenting." He suddenly becomes a hyper-involved dad who is drawing attention to all of the amazing parenting he is doing when my parents or his parents are around. He will also drop phrases like, "Tanager likes to sleep in." I wake up at 5:30 am with my kids 90% of the time. I don't have to prove it to anyone, so I don't self-promote. He is a sensational dad and husband, but he does not do the behaviors he claims he does when in the act of "show parenting" Also, I hate to invoke the name of CMA, also known as, "she who must not be named," but there was another person who found a way to publicly document via pictures her amazing parenting. It didn't mean a thing.

I have this feeling he wasn't just dropping in to the childcare centre to see Cooper. I think there's still some secrets. Wasn't there a computer at their home that had the hard drive missing???? Seems like destroying evidence to me.

Isn't the school affiliated with his job.

This would make forgetting less possible. Jmo

I don't understand why he didn't see him when he got in the care to leave work? Don't you have to stick your head in first before you sit down? So how could he miss seeing him then instead of when he turned right?

That is why he is not charged with 1st degree murder. He is charged with felony murder, which means that he caused a death during the commission of a felony (2nd degree child cruelty and IIRC, the sexting with a minor.) The state does not have to prove malice or intent, just that RH committed the felony of child cruelty. The fact that Cooper died during the commission of the felony is what makes it felony murder.

Is that right? I didn't understand that was the case. IF SO, his goose is cooked.

I found the interview tapes to be most instructive. If you are reading here, interested in the trial, and have not watched them yet - I highly recommend taking the time.

One thing that I noticed over and over again was his over explaining things and asking questions of law enforcement. Ex: during the discussion of the car seat, he asks the detective, "Do you have kids? Right then you know blah, blah, blah...." I can't explain other than to say it sounds too flippant and casual for the life-changing, horrific circumstance he found himself in. Someone who is distraught to the point of screaming, pulling on their hair, asking why, why, why cannot (in my opinion) turn on a dime and talk in a chit-chat manner as he was doing.

As for the officers on the scene -I would want their first,over-riding motivation to be whatever it takes for Cooper to have justice. Who else is going to do that for him? Would you be ok with letting JRH just go home with LH and tell him to be more careful with their next baby? It was a horrible, horrible scene, a weird acting father, puzzle pieces that didn't fit... and then the "other women" element.

I will say, regardless of the jury's ruling and the judge's sentence, I am grateful that he was arrested and that for Cooper's sake, this was looked at with great scrutiny. It's the very least he deserves ( imho.)

I agree. His seeming like he's having some sort of ordinary chit chat is beyond bizarre.

I don't understand why he didn't see him when he got in the care to leave work? Don't you have to stick your head in first before you sit down? So how could he miss seeing him then instead of when he turned right?

Agree. Ross is a chubby guy. And he is not getting in a car without the support or looking to the right while going to sit in the car.

Plus Cooper body was right there.

Plus he reversed parked without looking behind him or in the middle rear view mirror where Cooper would have been seen. Come on.

Who doesn't physically look back when reverse parking besides veteran big rig truck drivers.

RH has 8 charges against him including malice murder.
  • Malice Murder
  • Felony Murder
  • Felony Murder
  • Cruelty to Children in the First Degree
  • Cruelty to Children in the Second Degree
  • Criminal Attempt to Commit a Felony, to wit: Sexual Exploitation of Children
  • Dissemination of harmful Material to Minors
  • Dissemination of Harmful material to Minors

The jury will have to find intent to convict Harris on the malice murder charge.

(b) Express malice is that deliberate intention unlawfully to take the life of another human being which is manifested by external circumstances capable of proof. Malice shall be implied where no considerable provocation appears and where all the circumstances of the killing show an abandoned and malignant heart.

http://www.cbs46.com/story/26447086...ected-to-hear-case-against-justin-ross-harris

http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2014/title-16/chapter-5/article-1/section-16-5-1

Ranch do you have the sentencing guidelines for the felony murder? I'm lazy-if you don't I can look it up.

Oops right there in your link HA- sorry.

I agree. His seeming like he's having some sort of ordinary chit chat is beyond bizarre.

At times I just had to step away from that time in the interview when he and Leanna were rationalizing...she tells him it is just like the time when *advertiser censored* escaped out the door and drowned in the pool...just an accident as they is at his feet sort of clutching him. Can't she sit in a chair? Honestly they are lucky I am not on the jury...they both turn me off so much that no chance of not guilty in terms of being 100% responsible for the death and not an accident.

His matter-of-fact description of what happened will be a central point of debate.

"I knew that I had done what every parent in their life fears they've done and that's just leaving their son in the car on a hot day," Harris told detectives.

Harris said this was his "worst fear"

During the second round of questioning, Harris told detectives that he recently saw a news report about a father who had left his child in a hot car. He also says he just watched a video made by a veterinarian about how hot it gets for a dog left inside a car.

"My worst fear for me is to leave my son in a hot car," Harris said.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/ross-harr...he-stand-in-the-hot-car-death-trial/459427636
===================================================================================

I find that portion of his interview ASTOUNDING.

So it was his GREATEST FEAR? And he had seen previous reports about it, even said that the grieving father, who became an advocate, had told others to MAKE SURE TO LOOK AT THE CAR SEAT each time you leave your car.

Coopers car seat was just inches away. If he just slightly turned his head to the right, he could see the baby seat. That is all he had to do to avert his 'greatest fear' from happening.

I would find this whole tragedy more believable as an accident if he didn't know it was a possible danger. But he says it was his BIGGEST FEAR, He knew how to avert it, he recently saw a report on it, and also saw report on how hot the cars can get. And yet, within a matter of a minute, he forgets which way to turn to daycare, and then never ever turns his face two inches to the right, as he drives to work? Sits in his car for 33 seconds, never looks right, even though he grabs stuff from the passenger seat?

When you add this 'knowledge' about the potential deadly danger, to his current ambivalence about having a wife and a son, it is a deadly mix.

I think it's pretty obvious his GREATEST FEAR was his cell phone battery dying!

I so wish the jury could do that trip themselves...to me it is a smoking gun. maybe they will do a video.

Along with sitting in Ross' SUV with the same car seat so they can view for themselves if Ross saw Cooper or not..

Here's trial video from Friday of RH being interviewed by Cobb County detective Phil Stoddard. He has just been searched and the contents of his pockets have been placed on the table. Watch what he does at 28:20 into the video. That's the Publix receipt from lunch that day. He grabs it off the table and quickly tosses it in the trash behind him, thinking no one will see him. W.T. F.?!
I was on the fence until I watched this video.
https://youtu.be/hqhmfcQOQbU?t=28m

I think it's pretty obvious his GREATEST FEAR was his cell phone battery dying!

LOL.. Did that guy ever sleep? geeez, he was messaging all hours of the night... My cell is on MUTE the minute I hit the pillow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford