FL FL - Jacksonville, WhtMale 1040UMFL, 40-55, Hit by Tractor Trailer on I-10, Apr'83

tifflee

Reaction score
NamUs: https://identifyus.org/cases/800
Florida Unidentified Decedents Database: http://www.fluiddb.com/php/details10.php?case=254

The Doe Network: http://doenetwork.org/cases/1040umfl.html

Case File 1040UMFL

1040UMFL.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim
Unidentified White Male

• [*]The victim was discovered on April 8, 1983 in Jacksonville, Duval County, Florida
    [*]Estimated Date of Death: Minutes

Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated age: 40-55 years old
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8-5'9" ; 174 lbs.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Short, brown and gray hair, frontal balding; brown eyes.
    [*]Distinguishing Marks: Small, old scar nonsurgical below his left kneecap.
    [*]Tattoos: Several jailhouse-type tattoos, including heart with arrow anterior left forearm; dagger split in half on posterior right forearm; heart with banner and "ROM" inside heart and heart with banner and "RO" inside heart on the posterior left forearm; star and cross with lines on posterior left hand.
    [*]Clothing: High top, work boots with "Billy Richards" written on side; multicolored, striped yellow, blue, pink, and green shirt; black jacket; black western belt; black pants.
    [*]Jewelry: One yellow metal ring, with flat top and gray stone, on left ring finger.
    [*]Fingerprints: Available, Damaged, Palm prints and #9 fingerprint are retained at FDLE (Lab#83 02 40391). #9 print unclassifiable per local law enforcement.
    [*]Dentals: No teeth.
    [*]DNA: No sample available to submit

Case History
The victim was located in Jacksonville; SR8, I-10 at Milepost 342. He was a pedestrian struck by a tractor-trailer. He was walking in the lane of traffic on I-10, 168 feet west of Deep Creek Bridge when he was struck from behind.

Investigators

Arlene Murnak
904-630-0977

OR
District 4 Medical Examiner's Office
M Moore
904-630-0980
Email

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
1983-00331

NCIC Number:
U-619763800

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
FLUIDDB
Namus

Aside from the height difference, a lot of things make me think this could be Richard Lloyd Barnett.

Richard Lloyd Barnett on...

NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9608/
Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barnett_richard_lloyd.html
Doe Network: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4386dmtx.html

Points that match up:

First, photograph and reconstruction-wise, I think there is a resemblance between the UID's sketch and Richard's photograph. The UID is described as having hair, "Short, brown and gray, frontal balding" and between 40-55 while Richard's photograph shows dark brown hair with frontal balding and was 42 when he was last heard from, likely 43 at the time the UID was found.

1040UMFL.jpg
RLBarnett.jpg

Richard was last heard from on April 3, 1982 when he was arrested in Galveston County, TX, made one phone call but did not leave a message, and then was released on April 5, 1982. The UID was found almost exactly a year later on April 8, 1983 in Jacksonville, FL when he was hit by a tractor-trailer. Map of the two locations here: Galveston, Texas to Jacksonville, FL - Google Maps

Per all sources, Richard had tattoos on his forearms and upper arm as well as scars on his legs. Per DoeNetwork and NamUs, the UID had a small, old scar nonsurgical below his left kneecap. He also had "several jailhouse-type tattoos, including heart with arrow anterior left forearm; dagger split in half on posterior right forearm; heart with banner and "ROM" inside heart and heart with banner and "RO" inside heart on the posterior left forearm; star and cross with lines on posterior left hand." Richard appears to have been in prison before (or at least arrested, as this was his last sighting) which makes the jailhouse tattoos very likely.

In addition, I did a search on his name and found that his children have been searching for one another and him. In this guest book, one daughter writes her thanks for the site bringing her together with her brother and sister: http://books.dreambook.com/kbarnett/personal.html. The brother appears to use the email "romanbarnett@___" and per the sister's comment, "Brother was raised by dad & our step-mom & knew no names on us ,either, as dad is a missing person since 1983."

I note the brother's email as this could be the "ROM" in the UID's tattoo. I searched further and found this Find A Grave page which says that Richard was married to Roberta Lynn Barnett: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=68725499. Could this be the "RO" in the UID's other tattoo?

There is a discrepancy in height and weight. Richard was reported to be 6'0" to 6'2" and 200 to 240 lbs. The UID has several ranges reported with NamUs at 5'10", FLUIDDB at 5' to 6', and Doe Network at 5'8" to 5'9" - and all at 174 lbs.

if someone had real jailhouse tattoos you'd think his fingerprints would be on file yet they could not make a match with what they had.

Aside from the height difference, a lot of things make me think this could be Richard Lloyd Barnett.

Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barnett_richard_lloyd.html

Points that match up:

First, photograph and reconstruction-wise, I think there is a resemblance between the UID's sketch and Richard's photograph. The UID is described as having hair, "Short, brown and gray, frontal balding" and between 40-55 while Richard's photograph shows dark brown hair with frontal balding and was 42 when he was last heard from, likely 43 at the time the UID was found.

1040UMFL.jpg
RLBarnett.jpg

Richard was last heard from on April 3, 1982 when he was arrested in Galveston County, TX, made one phone call but did not leave a message, and then was released on April 5, 1982. The UID was found almost exactly a year later on April 8, 1983 in Jacksonville, FL when he was hit by a tractor-trailer. Map of the two locations here: Galveston, Texas to Jacksonville, FL - Google Maps

Per all sources, Richard had tattoos on his forearms and upper arm as well as scars on his legs. Per DoeNetwork and NamUs, the UID had a small, old scar nonsurgical below his left kneecap. He also had "several jailhouse-type tattoos, including heart with arrow anterior left forearm; dagger split in half on posterior right forearm; heart with banner and "ROM" inside heart and heart with banner and "RO" inside heart on the posterior left forearm; star and cross with lines on posterior left hand." Richard appears to have been in prison before (or at least arrested, as this was his last sighting) which makes the jailhouse tattoos very likely.

In addition, I did a search on his name and found that his children have been searching for one another and him. In this guest book, one daughter writes her thanks for the site bringing her together with her brother and sister: http://books.dreambook.com/kbarnett/personal.html. The brother appears to use the email "romanbarnett@___" and per the sister's comment, "Brother was raised by dad & our step-mom & knew no names on us ,either, as dad is a missing person since 1983."

I note the brother's email as this could be the "ROM" in the UID's tattoo. I searched further and found this Find A Grave page which says that Richard was married to Roberta Lynn Barnett: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=68725499. Could this be the "RO" in the UID's other tattoo?

There is a discrepancy in height and weight. Richard was reported to be 6'0" to 6'2" and 200 to 240 lbs. The UID has several ranges reported with NamUs at 5'10", FLUIDDB at 5' to 6', and Doe Network at 5'8" to 5'9" - and all at 174 lbs.

It says he was arrested then released, yet "Fingerprint information is currently not available." Don't they always fingerprint when you are arrested?

It says he was arrested then released, yet "Fingerprint information is currently not available." Don't they always fingerprint when you are arrested?

if he was held for three days in Gavleston, they most certainly fingerprinted him.

if he was held for three days in Gavleston, they most certainly fingerprinted him.

For the UID, it says, "Available, Damaged, Palm prints and #9 fingerprint are retained at FDLE (Lab#83 02 40391). #9 print unclassifiable per local law enforcement." I was trying to figure out if this means no prints are actually available if they are damaged and the #9 print retained is "unclassifiable".

As for Richard Barnett, not sure what happened on the city or county level iln the early 1980s, but it's possible they lost the fingerprints, have yet to send them in, or just haven't coordinated among the agency reporting to NamUs versus the agency that took the fingerprints?

Points that match up:

1040UMFL.jpg
RLBarnett.jpg

BBM

Interesting...He is listed as missing since April 5th 1982 but the sister states 1983. That would make a big difference, like he was trying to get out of dodge after being released for some reason, hitchhiked 1-10 and ended up in Jax on the 8th. That would make sense. Also,people do get their kids' names tattoo'd if wife could have been RO then son could have been ROM like you said.

BBM

Interesting...He is listed as missing since April 5th 1982 but the sister states 1983. That would make a big difference, like he was trying to get out of dodge after being released for some reason, hitchhiked 1-10 and ended up in Jax on the 8th. That would make sense. Also,people do get their kids' names tattoo'd if wife could have been RO then son could have been ROM like you said.

I know, isn't that interesting? I initially thought he would be an excellent match if the years just matched up rather than almost exactly a year after, but saw the guestbook posting and did a doubletake. Right now, I am going by the NamUs dates, but emailed the Galveston Sheriff's contact for Richard and copy/pasted that sentence to him.

I did a Facebook search before and apparently located the son with the email address of romanbarnett@___ and he has both sisters mentioned in the guestbook post linked as his friends. I wonder if "Roman" is perhaps a nickname since on the "Find A Grave" page, he is listed as RLB II. It could be that the family used the nickname to distinguish him from Richard Lloyd Barnett I - his father who apparently went by "Rick."

Well I'm guessing the person in that grave isn't the same one as the one who's posting on that website, as the posts are more current than 1996.

Well I'm guessing the person in that grave isn't the same one as the one who's posting on that website, as the posts are more current than 1996.

That's what one would think. Its rather strange because Im only finding one roman barnett on intellus with texas, hes 51 and it shows bakersfield also.

I did a Facebook search before and apparently located the son with the email address of romanbarnett@___ and he has both sisters mentioned in the guestbook post linked as his friends. I wonder if "Roman" is perhaps a nickname since on the "Find A Grave" page, he is listed as RLB II. It could be that the family used the nickname to distinguish him from Richard Lloyd Barnett I - his father who apparently went by "Rick."

Yes, I see what you are saying, his name is Richard on FB so Roman could be a nickname.

^ Not sure since there hasn't been much detail provided thus far and I would hope LE would release that sort of information if the family told them - or that family would provide the detail. I'm also trying to go through LE channels first so as to not cause the family any stress by contacting them over "possibles". Since I just emailed LE yesterday, I'll give it a week at least. :)

I did a bit more research into Richard's background to try to see why there is so little detail on his tattoos. I pieced together the following based on online postings.

[Date unknown] Roberta marries Jackie, her high school sweetheart (Source)
1967: Roberta marries Richard Barnett (Source)
1970: Jackie commits suicide (Source, Source)
1971: Roberta Barnett dies of Acute Morphine Heroine Overdose (Source)
[Date unknown] Roberta's parents take in her children. (Source)
[Date unknown] Richard remarries and has a son. (Source)
[June 2006] Son posts on guestbook that he is searching for his father. (Source)
[December 2010] Son posts on guestbook that he found his sisters after posting his father's name. (Source)
[June 2011] Daughter posts on guestbook as she found her brother via searching for her father's name. (Source)

If the son were born after 1972, by 1982 he would at the most be ten years old so perhaps he remembers his father has tattoos, but was too young to remember the details. It sounds like if the son was born after the daughters were taken in by their grandparents, perhaps they never saw the "ROM" tattoo if it references his nickname. All speculation, but it makes more sense in this context on why there would be so little detail on his tattoos.

Now, if only there was a good reason for there being no fingerprints available for comparison despite his arrest...

I heard back from both the Jacksonville Medical Examiner contact for the UID and the Galveston County Sheriff's Department LE contact for Richard so kudos for quick replies to both! Lots of appreciation to the latter for patiently exchanging three emails, albeit brief, with me.

I am hoping that they are able to do a fingerprint match since NamUs says that DNA is not available yet for the UID (but available for Richard) whereas it appears NamUs is not up-to-date and there are in fact fingerprints available for Richard (and for the UID).

I don't know if either jurisdiction feels there is enough cause to do a comparison, but I hope they do, if only to eliminate one possibility!

Since my last post, I didn't hear back from the Jacksonville Medical Examiner contact for the UID or the Galveston County Sheriff's Department LE contact for Richard. The former had replied previously saying my email had been forwarded to her for follow-up and there were fingerprints and photographs on file for Richard in Galveston. I asked if there was enough basis for a comparison but did not hear back. It was right before Thanksgiving so I can imagine there being a lot of work to plow through before and after. The latter seemed to be waiting for Richard's DNA to be uploaded into CODIS for a hit which worried me a bit because I am unsure if DNA is available for the UID.

But, I had also reached out to the NamUs case manager contact who is also at the Jacksonville Medical Examiner's Office as I simply did not know which of all the contacts listed was the most current one. I had a nice post-Thanksgiving surprise when she replied and asked me if I was with law enforcement, a family member, or had access to the fingerprints. She also assured me she would be happy to follow-up with this information. I emailed her back and her latest reply was:
I'll be happy to follow this up. Thank you for the information and I will keep you informed.
It is always nice to have this type of positive interaction! Keeping my fingers crossed that the fingerprints can be compared, or maybe the family has more information on tattoos.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back