1,000s Donate Bodies for Plastination

hipmamajen

I love the friends I have gathered together on thi
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070521/ap_on_he_me/apn_plastic_bodies

Stace Owens has no intention of leaving this world when he dies. He plans to stick around for decades or longer, preserved in plastic and displayed in a museum or medical school.

The 33-year-old real estate agent from Dallas is among more than 7,000 people who have agreed to donate their bodies for plastination, a process in which body fluids are replaced by liquid plastic. The plastic hardens, leaving tissues intact and allowing bodies to be displayed in their natural color and without formaldehyde.
The process was made popular by Gunther von Hagens' "Body Worlds," a controversial anatomy exhibit that puts real human specimens on show. Most are flayed and dissected, revealing their organs. Others are kept intact and displayed in dramatic action poses, such as a basketball player driving to the hoop or a runner in full stride.

My family was able to see "Body Worlds" last year when it was here in Denver. It was just amazing, and even the kids were fascinated. I would have no problem with the idea of having this done with my remains.

I have also seen bodyworld. I was there whan the ladies stole the fetus!
I also met Gunther many years ago. he showed me his process and the man I was working for was going to invest in it.
I remember looking at these sliced plasticized pieces of bodies and being amazed.

Everyone should see this exhibit if they get a chance.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20713&highlight=bodyworks

Wow, I didn't know about the stolen fetus, that was an interesting thread! Did they get the baby back?

Ooh, BarnGoddess, I wonder if we went the same day. Even if we did, I'm sure I didn't see you, it was such a zoo! I loved that camel out front, too, that was neat.

Tis a cool thing, but thinking I will give my body to that guy in Tennessee to see how well I decompose and help solve a crime somewhere out there.

Tis a cool thing, but thinking I will give my body to that guy in Tennessee to see how well I decompose and help solve a crime somewhere out there.

That would be cool, too.

Did any of you read Stiff? That goes over a lot of these alternative options, I thought it was fascinating.

That sounds really interesting and cool, but I can't imagine anyplace that is going to want my body displayed.

Hmmmm. I'll have to think on it. My daughter's garage, sweeping?

In the corner of the kitchen with an apron, as my husband prepares dinner with his new spouse? Hmmm, no.

Under the Bed? How about in the gun safe?

The Circus? Well, gives we alot to think about now.

I wanted to see this for SO many years. I followed it as it was in the UK, and couldn't come here, for technical reasons. Then it was in Philly, but not NYC, and I couldn't wait! But then it got here, and the bodies' origins were suspicious. There were the other travelling versions where the bodies leaked. The one where the foetus was stolen. I was onboard from so early on, but the exhibits here have had serious issues. I want so much for it to be all that they say it is.

Wow, I didn't know about the stolen fetus, that was an interesting thread! Did they get the baby back?
I never heard if they found it or not.

That sounds really interesting and cool, but I can't imagine anyplace that is going to want my body displayed.
Martha, I was thinking if I gave them my body they could nip it and tuck it before they plasticized it.:p

I never heard if they found it or not.

Martha, I was thinking if I gave them my body they could nip it and tuck it before they plasticized it.:p

Well, you're always "2 steps" ahead of me, sweatheart. :blowkiss:

I wanted to see this for SO many years. I followed it as it was in the UK, and couldn't come here, for technical reasons. Then it was in Philly, but not NYC, and I couldn't wait! But then it got here, and the bodies' origins were suspicious. There were the other travelling versions where the bodies leaked. The one where the foetus was stolen. I was onboard from so early on, but the exhibits here have had serious issues. I want so much for it to be all that they say it is.

Ooh, I would just hate to leak, lol.

Oh dear. I think maybe ashes in a little urn on the mantle is more my style.

I am an organ and tissue donor and also plan on donating my brain for research toward finding the causes of, and better treatments for Bipolar Disorder.

Sadly there is a shortage of brains available for research into the causes and treatments of major mental illnesses which, IMO, has a lot to do with why so many mentally ill people go misdiagnosed and/or untreated.

There are several versions of this exhibit travelling the world. Many of them are questionable, ie using executed criminals, or abandoned bodies, or bad techniques. The Gunther van Hagen exhibits are all aboveboard, though. All of the bodies he's used have been donated to him, and he's obviously not going to be short of subjects any time soon!

oh this just gives me the heeby-jeebies. As much as I would love for my body to be used for some noble scientific cause I think I'll stick to organ and tissue donation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back