Man Erroneously Accused In Olympic Bombing Dies

chicoliving

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Former security guard Richard Jewell, who was erroneously linked to the 1996 Olympic bombing, died Wednesday, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said.

Jewell, 44, was found dead in his west Georgia home, GBI spokesman John Bankhead said.

He died of natural causes, said Meriwether County Coroner Johnny Worley.

http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_241153208.html

Former security guard Richard Jewell, who was erroneously linked to the 1996 Olympic bombing, died Wednesday, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said.

Jewell, 44, was found dead in his west Georgia home, GBI spokesman John Bankhead said.

He died of natural causes, said Meriwether County Coroner Johnny Worley.

http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_241153208.html

Bless that guy's heart. His life was a living hell for a while.

Back before they discovered Eric Rudolph, the FBI and GBI showed up at my husband's job unannounced and interviewed him for 4 hours about the bombings. Someone had called him in as the potential Olympic Park bomber because he was working the Olympics and looks kind of like Rudolph and he wasn't a US citizen at the time. It was pretty crazy!

When all that happened, he and I had just started dating and I was like "Am I in love with a terrorist?"

That's so awful. My heart always went out to this guy, what happened to him after all that was sickening.

Prayers and sympathy to his family.

Richard Jewell - I will always remember him. He was a hero who was treated like sh$$. God rest his soul!

I vaguely remember this. Did they ever catch the person who left the bomb?

That's awfully young for natural causes, I bet all that crap he had to deal with after the Olympics really took its toll :(

Yes, that would be Eric Rudolph.

But until SCM mentioned it in her post, I could remember Richard Jewell's name, but not the actual culprit's. Just goes to show you.

Yes, Eric Rudolph was hiding in the mountains of North Carolina when they found him - he admitted to the Olympic bombing along with some abortion clinic bombings if I remember correctly.

Yes, Eric Rudolph was hiding in the mountains of North Carolina when they found him - he admitted to the Olympic bombing along with some abortion clinic bombings if I remember correctly.

Took them years to catch him, though, and I think it was that a policeman caught him going through a dumpster behind a restaurant...had watched him for a few nights until he was pretty certain it was him, and then nabbed him.

Poor Richard Jewell. God rest him.

Thanks, Indallas:blowkiss:

An abortion clinic bombing in Atlanta (Sandy Springs) that disfigured a nurse and the bombing of a gay/lesbian bar (that I used to frequent back in the day) called The Otherside - no one was killed or badly injured in that attack.

I worked for a while on the Olympic Park bombing cases as a paralegal for the attorney representing the people who were wounded/killed.

Took them years to catch him, though, and I think it was that a policeman caught him going through a dumpster behind a restaurant...had watched him for a few nights until he was pretty certain it was him, and then nabbed him.

Poor Richard Jewell. God rest him.

Eric Rudolph was found rummaging through a dumpster at a Sav-A-Lot grocery store approximately 50 miles from my home. He was sentenced for the bombing of abortion clinics and Centennial Park. He hid out in these mountains for years.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Jewel. I still remember you as a hero.

Mr. Jewell was a hero indeed.
Here is a link to statements from Mr. Jewell and his mother.

link

A part of it;
jewel5.gif
On the evening of July 27, 1996, at Centennial Olympic Park, I did not set out to be a hero. I set out that night simply to do my job and to do it right. I was then and remain now an individual committed to the principles of law enforcement and the protection of the public. I was trained to spot the unattended packages and to report such packages to the next person in security chain of command. That is what I did on the 27th of July. All I did was my job. The media started calling me a hero. I did not consider myself a hero. The bomb technician who crawled on his belly and got next to the bomb was a hero.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Mr. Jewell was a hero indeed.
Here is a link to statements from Mr. Jewell and his mother.

link

A part of it;
jewel5.gif
On the evening of July 27, 1996, at Centennial Olympic Park, I did not set out to be a hero. I set out that night simply to do my job and to do it right. I was then and remain now an individual committed to the principles of law enforcement and the protection of the public. I was trained to spot the unattended packages and to report such packages to the next person in security chain of command. That is what I did on the 27th of July. All I did was my job. The media started calling me a hero. I did not consider myself a hero. The bomb technician who crawled on his belly and got next to the bomb was a hero.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Such a nice guy.

Jewell finally honored as a hero 8/1/2006

He passed away a year after he was honored as a hero.
0681195858_rowsonjewell801[1].jpg

Governor Sonny Perdue said he was setting the historical record straight by honoring Jewell.

“His actions saved lives that day,” the Governor said. He said Richard Jewell never sought notoriety; he did his job and was maligned for it.

“He didn't seek this today, we sought him out because I think it’s the right thing to do”, the Governor said. Jewell was given a commendation by the governor.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Jewell finally honored as a hero 8/1/2006

He passed away a year after he was honored as a hero.
0681195858_rowsonjewell801[1].jpg

Governor Sonny Perdue said he was setting the historical record straight by honoring Jewell.

“His actions saved lives that day,” the Governor said. He said Richard Jewell never sought notoriety; he did his job and was maligned for it.

“He didn't seek this today, we sought him out because I think it’s the right thing to do”, the Governor said. Jewell was given a commendation by the governor.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I am glad Governor Perdue finally recognized Mr. Jewell. Wonder what will happen with the lawsuit against The Atlanta Journal-Constitution? Will his estate be able to pursue the case?

Yes, he was caught not far from here (about 30 minutes away) going through a dumpster behind a store.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I am glad Governor Perdue finally recognized Mr. Jewell. Wonder what will happen with the lawsuit against The Atlanta Journal-Constitution? Will his estate be able to pursue the case?
Dearest Tennessee,:blowkiss:
Mr Jewell's lawyer is going back to Georgia to deal with Mr. Jewell's Estate. His lawyer will see to it that Cox Enterprises (The Atlanta Journal- Constitution) pays what is owed to Mr. Jewell.

all of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

May he rest in peace.
I'm sure Richard's life on earth was hell when he was under unwarranted suspicion for the bombing. Stress plays mean tricks on ones mind and body.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back