Identified! CA - Newhall, Male 1000UMCA, 22-45, found buried, Feb'93 - David Lenz

JupiterAmmon

Reaction score
http://doenetwork.org/cases/1000umca.html

Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered on February 26, 1993 in Newhall, Los Angeles County, California
Estimated Date of Death: 10 years or more, prior to discovery, sometime after 1981.
Skeletal Remains
Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 22-45 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 6'3"-6'6"
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown/reddish short hair. Bushy eyebrows. Beard with short stubble.
Clothing: Blue Levis, with zipper in front. White socks with black & red stripe. Blue boxer shorts.
Dentals: Available. Poor dental health. Gap between front teeth.
Case History
The victim was located in the High Desert, west of Sierra Highway and North of San Fernando Road in Newhall, CA. He was found buried in a 5' deep hole.

He was discovered by a pair of teenage boys who dug a 5-foot-deep, 6-foot-square hole on a hillside near Polynesian Mobile Home Park, 23450 San Fernando Road.

The skeletal remains, including a sock full of bones were wrapped in a canvas tarp and in a very deteriorated state.

There is no one listed missing with his description in the Santa Clarita Valley.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
LASD Homicide/Cold Case Unit
Detective Richard Kennerly
323-890-5500
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
Coroner: 93-02135
John Doe #33
LASD: 1993-02743-0627-011

NCIC Number:
U-634250744
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
LASD Homicide/Cold Case Unit

I wonder given the time and location if this could be a victim of Kraft? Was he known to bury any of his victims?

What are the odds some teenage boys would happen to dig a 5' deep 6' square hole and find a body buried 5' down? I can't think of any cases where a UID has been found buried so deep non construction related. I wonder if the site the boys chose showed any irregularities. Not that it helps id the man but odd circumstances on his discovery.

Who took the time to bury their victims this deep?

I wonder given the time and location if this could be a victim of Kraft? Was he known to bury any of his victims?

I don’t know of any of Randy Kraft’s victims being buried; yet that being said, I don’t know that he didn’t either. I don’t believe all of his victims have been located (LE believes that he killed Paul Fuchs and Jeffrey Bryan Sayre and neither have been found). I had always wondered if they had excavated any part of his yard at 823 Roswell after his arrest. The way that this person was buried, I think it is more likely he was killed by someone he knew and could be traced back to him.

What are the odds some teenage boys would happen to dig a 5' deep 6' square hole and find a body buried 5' down? I can't think of any cases where a UID has been found buried so deep non construction related. I wonder if the site the boys chose showed any irregularities. Not that it helps id the man but odd circumstances on his discovery.

I would say someone who he knew and knew if he was found, people would start asking her/him questions. Probably someone who didn't want him to be found.

I was thinking the same thing.

There seems to be a discrepancy b/w the doenetwork and namus regarding the timeframe of this doe's death. Doenetwork says he died 10 years or more, and sometime after 1981, while namus says that the doe died somewhere in the last ten years (1983-93).

Also, the doenetwork page mentions that he didn't match any descriptions of people missing in the Santa Clarita Valley. I wonder if they looked beyond that area as well? Given the location where this doe was found (very close to the I-5 and CA SR 14), he could probably be from a number of places, not just the Santa Clarita Valley.

Here are some possibilities:

Gordon Page Jr.
- however he disappeared in 1991, from Michigan so that is rather far away.He also does not seem to have similar dentals to the doe.

John Inman
- he only disappeared a month before this doe was found, so I wonder if that is enough time to become skeletonized?
he also is out of the age range (he is only 17), as well as it appears he does not have similar dentals to the doe

I had composed a large post which got wiped out by my computer before I could post it.

suffice it to say, and I'll keep it short, there is one person who kind of sort of has the bushy hair and eyebrows and that is Scott Jacobs, missing from Marin County in 1985:

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9617/20/

only real problem is the circumstances of his disappearance which is described as this:

22 Year old Scott Lyons or Scott Jacobs walked away from the Marin County Crisis Center while being treated for depression and suicide threats on 08-23-1985. He has never been seen since.

I had composed a large post which got wiped out by my computer before I could post it.

suffice it to say, and I'll keep it short, there is one person who kind of sort of has the bushy hair and eyebrows and that is Scott Jacobs, missing from Marin County in 1985:

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9617/20/

only real problem is the circumstances of his disappearance which is described as this:

22 Year old Scott Lyons or Scott Jacobs walked away from the Marin County Crisis Center while being treated for depression and suicide threats on 08-23-1985. He has never been seen since.

Still possible webrocket! What do you think about Gordon Lopez? https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2038/49/

He grew up an hour south of Newhall in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA. Circumstances may indicate suicide however...

Still possible webrocket! What do you think about Gordon Lopez? https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2038/49/

He grew up an hour south of Newhall in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA. Circumstances may indicate suicide however...

Gordon Lopez was part of the much larger post that got wiped out. while he fits many of the parameters, there is nothing about his eyebrows that strike me as being particularly bushy or "huge".

Gordon Lopez was part of the much larger post that got wiped out. while he fits many of the parameters, there is nothing about his eyebrows that strike me as being particularly bushy or "huge".

Yeah, I'm no expert in eyebrows...but bushy or "huge" should be rather easy to spot in a missing persons report, unfortunately those descriptors haven't been found yet...but I'll keep looking.

Just as an example of how subjective the term is appiled; take a look at the case of Michael Hewerding http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3320dmuk.html. I don't see anything bushy or abnormally large regarding his brows. Now Ralph Frellstedt has bushy eyebrows IMO; http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1560dmdeu.html

Again those are just "eyebrow" examples and not potential matches...so maybe we shouldn't go too crazy about the bushiness of brows; within obvious reason of course

that being the case that bushy is highly subjective, then Gordon is the closest match out there. alot going for it.

his face is not as round as the sketch, but we know how often those sketches are way off the mark.

How do they know he had huge eyebrows? (From the brow ridge on the cranium?) Also, it describes him as having a beard with short stubble... how could they know that?

I'm not saying they couldn't know that, just really curious as to how...

How do they know he had huge eyebrows? (From the brow ridge on the cranium?) Also, it describes him as having a beard with short stubble... how could they know that?

I'm not saying they couldn't know that, just really curious as to how...

I am assuming that he was in some manner mummified due to his burial in an arid or semi-arid region. they knew he had stubble on his face so there had to be some skin there.

I don't live too far from that area and wonder if he was using meth or some other drugs. Could have traveled to area for to score, deal may have gone bad or he OD.

Judging him from his HS photo, I like the resemblance to the recon. Since this photo was probably a decade or so from his disappearance, I wouldn't think it would be impossible to have your eyebrows thicken quite a bit. Now I don't see a gap between his front teeth however and the circumstances are odd and only plausible if Gregg made it back to Cali from HI...but didn't quite make it all the way home.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3407dmca.html

Greg Farmer is being looked into as a potential match, Becky Castillo left me a VM and sent me an email:

Sam,

Thank you for bringing this possible match to our attention. I have forwarded a copy of Mr. Farmer’s dental X-rays to Daniel Machian (La County Coroner) for comparison. We will update NamUs with the results.

We do not know if Mr. Farmer ever returned to California.

Becky Castillo
Unidentified-Missing Person Center
San Bernardino County Sheriff Department - Coroner Division
175 S. Lena Rd., San Bernardino, CA 92415
Main: 909-387-2978
Fax: 909-387-2335
Email: umpc@sbcsd.org

That was fast....30 min later I get a reply

"Becky,

The dental x-rays of our case # 1993-02135 John Doe #33 were compared to the dental x-rays that you provided on MP Greg Farmer.
This comparison came back as a Negative match, they are not the same person.

Thank you,

Inv. Daniel Machian
Los Angeles Dept. of Coroner
Identifications Section
323-343-0754
323-222-0343 FAX
dmachian@coroner.lacounty.gov "

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors