Brendan Dassey and False Confessions

Sustained... is that from this interview? I was only able to listen to a bit of it, the ticking will drive you crazy LOL All I heard was that he didn't even see her, but I only got about 25 minutes in before I shut it off.

[video=youtube;9zePg5OfvyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zePg5OfvyU[/video]

Sustained... is that from this interview? I was only able to listen to a bit of it, the ticking will drive you crazy LOL All I heard was that he didn't even see her, but I only got about 25 minutes in before I shut it off.

[video=youtube;9zePg5OfvyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zePg5OfvyU[/video]

I believe it could be, or it might be the first one at the high school. Will check later when I have more time ..

You only have to listen to the 1st interview to believe this kid made up everything he said. About seeing TH at the property, Brendan had 3 different answers.

1. That he didn't see her at all as he and Blaine got off the school bus
2. That he saw her leave and he/Blaine had to move off the road as she drove away
3. That he saw her talking to Steven and then drive away

Just those inconsistencies alone tell me we have a 16-year-old that will make anything up to get the police to leave him alone.

And then toss in the whopper of the rape/murder in SA's trailer with no supporting DNA and it's a wrap. I wonder if Brendan had a history
of lying or making up stories with his family ? If so, the defense team should have called Barb as a witness to confirm.

I don't get the impression Brendan is a habitual liar or anything like that. I think he was just more prone to going with the flow, so to speak. "Oh, they want me to just say this then I can go back to sixth hour? Okay then."

My 11 year old son has dyslexia, audio processing, ADD. He had an IQ of 100 when tested. He is very delayed in reading. He’s an odd little guy J He’s perfect but there’s no denying he just thinks differently. Not 1 adult that has interacted with my son more than 5 minutes who would say they didn’t notice his different way of thinking.

I say all that to say CARIIS I couldn’t agree more! They knew & they used it against Brendan. I have no formal training with delayed children. Obliviously I have high interest & experience with at best a slightly delayed child. Telling my son to “behave” may have worked like 1 time ever. Telling my son “Son I need you to sit down in the chair & calm down” works every time.

Doing his homework can be trying. I’ve gotten frustrated & said “Son you’re not listening, I just read the answer you need to listen” He will look at me, I can see the truth & struggle written all over his face when he pleads he was.

You can SEE it on his face when he is confused, overworked, something just isn’t connecting. They knew by Brendan’s answers, face, body language he wasn’t truly aware of what was happening to him AND THAT’S WHY THE PICKED HIM, IMO!

IMO They went to the Avery property, believe it was planted or believe a murder was committed on the property, they found evidence but not enough. It couldn’t be just LE vs Avery again they needed a third party. If you believe they thoroughly investigated the case & Brendan was the one that raised flags. Or believe he was handpicked to be their 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party.
In the end they knew he was limited. They then used & exploited his limitations to bolster & collaborate the charges of SA.

Kayla’s BD said he saw toes in the fire statement bothered me until I saw her actual written statement. BD & KA were in HS having to be teased, mocked, and hated for their uncle. Add both have some level of limitations, I’m sure that went over well the rest of the students. KA was more than willing to help get rid of SA & show everyone she wasn’t a “filthy Avery”

KA written statement http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?298789-Kayla-Avery-s-Statement

I have no clue how in the world BD’s confession is considered anything but a scared, delayed kid relaying in multi-choice, repeat the question, what haven’t I said answers exactly from what’s he’s heard on the news, his family has talked about, kids at school are saying.

Although most of the links don’t work the forum when TH went missing has the shell castings in the garage, the “leg irons”, electronics in burn barrels, the burn pit, and the tires all referenced in news articles by posters long before BD confesses.

There is even one about the dog feces & food being collected the media makes a connection of TH being fed to the dogs.

They had to feed BD the “what happened to her head” bull otherwise they just kept the story going using the technics. I don’t see BD so much as guessing anymore it was multi-choice. Guessing to me meant he knew to answer crimes. I didn't know for 3 months every detail of LE theory was everywhere.

As I read the thread I was aware of how hated the Avery were/became. That had to be hard for these kids.

TH missing forum http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Marie-Halbach-25-Manitowoc-31-Oct-2005/page8

Although I don't believe BD had a hand in TH's murder, BD did mention in one of his confessions that Steven was angry about something. Not sure if that was investigated, but he made some calls that day on behalf of Jodi and maybe he heard something that might have really pissed him off.
On the other hand, that comment by BD could be part of the fantasy he concocted as a confused 16-year-old.

Although I don't believe BD had a hand in TH's murder, BD did mention in one of his confessions that Steven was angry about something. Not sure if that was investigated, but he made some calls that day on behalf of Jodi and maybe he heard something that might have really pissed him off.
On the other hand, that comment by BD could be part of the fantasy he concocted as a confused 16-year-old.

I'm sure there are some truths in his confessions. I wonder if he was mad that Jodi wasn't getting out. Remember in that interview Jodi just did, she was supposed to get out and go to some class, and they wouldn't let her, and she still didn't know why.

I'm sure there are some truths in Brendans confession too.

I don't believe Brendan sexually assaulted Teresa, or that she was ever even in the SA's trailer. I think he was telling the truth when he said he made up the bit about her being tied up and stabbed. I think that did come from the Kiss the Girls book.

I do think he was involved with the clean up though, and I do think he saw her body in the burn pit.

From the 2/27/2006 police interview on pg.452

Fassbender: when you say her forehead was it white bone or was there still
Brendan: ........a little bit of flesch (sic)
Fassbender: a litle bit of flesch (sic).
Even though he was prompted, he came up with the flesh bit himself.

Also on pg. 459

Weigert: what else did he tell you?
Brendan: how he tried to hide it
Weigert: how did he try to hide it, what did he tell you?
Brendan: he tried to cover it with branches, a car hood.

Again, though prompted he comes up with the branches and the hood.

My question is- for anyone that might know- could Brendan have heard about the way the car was found before the interview?

Poor kid- wrong place wrong time, no adults looking out for him, totally screwed by his attorney (there was something seriously wrong with that guy! besides breaking the law, he kept smiling through the whole thing, like wtf?)

Yes he could have and probably did hear it before he was interviewed. He would have had to live under a rock (not in Wisconsin) to not have had those details. The vehicle was found on November 5th (3 and a half months before the interview that you quoted) IIRC even in SA's interview on the 6th, they tell him where and how the vehicle was found. I would be shocked if this wasn't discussed as a family as well.
I have yet to see anyone point out one piece of evidence that Brendan could not have known previously or that the investigators "fed" to him.

Sorry, I truly believe that this kid thought he could tell a story and then make it to class on time to get his project done and handed in, so he could catch the bus to go home and play his PS2.

I'm sure there are some truths in Brendans confession too.

I don't believe Brendan sexually assaulted Teresa, or that she was ever even in the SA's trailer. I think he was telling the truth when he said he made up the bit about her being tied up and stabbed. I think that did come from the Kiss the Girls book.

I do think he was involved with the clean up though, and I do think he saw her body in the burn pit.

From the 2/27/2006 police interview on pg.452

Fassbender: when you say her forehead was it white bone or was there still
Brendan: ........a little bit of flesch (sic)
Fassbender: a litle bit of flesch (sic).
Even though he was prompted, he came up with the flesh bit himself.

Also on pg. 459

Weigert: what else did he tell you?
Brendan: how he tried to hide it
Weigert: how did he try to hide it, what did he tell you?
Brendan: he tried to cover it with branches, a car hood.

Again, though prompted he comes up with the branches and the hood.

My question is- for anyone that might know- could Brendan have heard about the way the car was found before the interview?

Poor kid- wrong place wrong time, no adults looking out for him, totally screwed by his attorney (there was something seriously wrong with that guy! besides breaking the law, he kept smiling through the whole thing, like wtf?)

The way the car was found could have been released to local newscasts on or about 11/5/05.

Thanks Missy, thanks Sustained for your replies :)

Missy- so what do you think are the truths in his confession? you said you thought there are some truths. I'd be curious to know as you seem to know a lot about the specifics of the case :)

I'm reading as much as I can of the transcripts etc but there's a lot to know and I'm a complete newbie to the case so I appreciate both your help.

The thing I found funny about the angry comment, was that he was supposedly angry he couldnt get his BLAZER in the magazine. Maybe he meant loader cause he called her back and she did not answer. The thing that bothers me is he said BLAZER, which I thought was owned by BoD.
I just think this poor kid was so confused an overwhelmed, especially being interviewed 4 times for some time each time in 2 days, he didnt know how to articulate anything he wanted to say. not even the stuff they were feeding him.
They wanted to USE this poor kid to better their case against SA.
JMO

Sustained- that was in the interview on the 2/2/06 that I just read. They made it sound like SA was angry at BD for seeing him burning the body.

Missy- so what do you think are the truths in his confession? you said you thought there are some truths. I'd be curious to know as you seem to know a lot about the specifics of the case :)

I'm reading as much as I can of the transcripts etc but there's a lot to know and I'm a complete newbie to the case so I appreciate both your help.

I'm going to be honest with you.... I can't go over his interviews.... it seriously makes me physically ill, I won't even watch the documentary again because of it. (probably because I have 2 boys... 15 and 16). When I say there are truths.... I don't mean anything to do with TH and her murder. What I mean is.... going over and helping clean up his garage because something spilled while he was working on the vehicle in there. He probably did at some point, did he do it that night? maybe, maybe not. Going around on a golf cart... he's probably done that more than once with his Uncle or Uncle's.

I think it's very easy for someone with a lower IQ or even with high IQ's to have memories "planted". For example, I have asked my mom on numerous occasions about certain memories, and some of them she says there is no way you could remember that, you weren't there.... it's probably the stories I have heard throughout the years that have created what I think is a 'memory' but yet I wasn't even born yet LOL

http://convolutedbrian.com.s3.amazonaws.com/dassey/01Mar2006/01Mar2006Transcript.pdf

Page 78. Fassbender asks Brendan if Avery did anything else to the car. Brendan said "I don't know." Fassbender, directly after his answer asked Brendan if Avery "looked at the engine, lifted the hood or anything... Did he do something to that car?"

It's just another example of the investigators feeding him information. This was not something Dassey came up with on his own.

The thing I found funny about the angry comment, was that he was supposedly angry he couldnt get his BLAZER in the magazine. Maybe he meant loader cause he called her back and she did not answer. The thing that bothers me is he said BLAZER, which I thought was owned by BoD.
I just think this poor kid was so confused an overwhelmed, especially being interviewed 4 times for some time each time in 2 days, he didnt know how to articulate anything he wanted to say. not even the stuff they were feeding him.
They wanted to USE this poor kid to better their case against SA.
JMO

oh oh oh funny you mention Blazer.....I read elsewhere that the bus driver in her initial interview said that she seen TH photographing the Blazer and the Blazer was parked near the bus stop. The Blazer was owned by BoD. I have to go back and see if we can find if that Blazer was ever photographed before the 31st, I can't remember if they say what kind of vehicles are in the photo's when the AutoTrader people testified.

If it was on Halloween and she was photographing the Blazer.... who asked her to do that?

:wagon:

by the way LifeCitizen.... welcome to Websleuths :)

I'm going to be honest with you.... I can't go over his interviews.... it seriously makes me physically ill, I won't even watch the documentary again because of it. (probably because I have 2 boys... 15 and 16). When I say there are truths.... I don't mean anything to do with TH and her murder. What I mean is.... going over and helping clean up his garage because something spilled while he was working on the vehicle in there. He probably did at some point, did he do it that night? maybe, maybe not. Going around on a golf cart... he's probably done that more than once with his Uncle or Uncle's.

I think it's very easy for someone with a lower IQ or even with high IQ's to have memories "planted". For example, I have asked my mom on numerous occasions about certain memories, and some of them she says there is no way you could remember that, you weren't there.... it's probably the stories I have heard throughout the years that have created what I think is a 'memory' but yet I wasn't even born yet LOL

Sorry! didnt mean to put you on the spot. Thanks for your reply.

I do think memories can get planted too.

I need to start taking notice of dates and when things happened.

And thanks for the welcome :)

I hope I don't annoy people asking dumb questions LOL. but it's bound to happen again, haha.

LOL nope, not annoying at all! If you read everything and can conclude that he or they are guilty, that's ok here :) I don't want to speak for anyone else, but myself, I think BD should be at home playing the latest video games and watching wrestling.... SA, I lean towards innocent, but I'm still not 100% sure. Either way, I do think that there was some LE planting and/or incompetence.

I think you must have had some questions though... otherwise you wouldn't be here and you wouldn't be reading the documents that we have available to us!

http://convolutedbrian.com.s3.amazonaws.com/dassey/01Mar2006/01Mar2006Transcript.pdf

Page 78. Fassbender asks Brendan if Avery did anything else to the car. Brendan said "I don't know." Fassbender, directly after his answer asked Brendan if Avery "looked at the engine, lifted the hood or anything... Did he do something to that car?"

It's just another example of the investigators feeding him information. This was not something Dassey came up with on his own.

Just bumping this so it's not missed. Brendan did not come up with the information about Avery opening the hood.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back